Generic name on Thai Visa Card - WTF

No name on Thai debit cards is pretty much the norm....the Thai wife and I have had several Bangkok Bank Be1st debit cards...our names have never been on the debit cards. And they still work fine for online purchases although I've only used my a few times for onlines purchases over the years. As mentioned earlier, use your name.

Edit: oh, by the way, you will fine some companies will not accept debit cards for online purchases but will accept credit cards...so if your debit card is not accepted for an online purchase it may have nothing to do with the card-issuing bank...it's just the online company may not accept debit cards (although their site indicates they should) with or without your name on the card...and they have no way knowing whether your card has your name on it or not.

Edited by Pib

Just create a virtual credit card in online banking (like k-web card) and use it on websites which don't accept your debit card.

I bought Air Asia and Nok Air tickets using virtual credit card from kasikorn several times (for me and for others), never got a problem.

• Like 1

Just create a virtual credit card in online banking (like k-web card) and use it on websites which don't accept your debit card.

I bought Air Asia and Nok Air tickets using virtual credit card from kasikorn several times (for me and for others), never got a problem.

This sounds like a good solution. But when I book an online ticket with Thai Airways (TG), when I check in, they ask to see the card I used to make the booking and then enter some of the card's numbers into their computer system & hand me the card back. I think Bangkok Airways may be similar.

So how would / could this work with a virtual credit card? Is there anything physical that could be produced under such circumstances?

You are lucky. I have a Kasikorn K-web card, and have had all sorts of problems with it dealing with Air Asia. I now have the Bangkok Bank debit card Be 1st, and have had no problems at all with it. I have also got a Bangkok Bank credit card. kasikorn would not give me one as I do not have a work permit.

Up until about four years ago when I did have a work permit, SCB still would not give me a credit card. I cancelled my account with them immediately.

Debit cards can be used just like credit cards provided they have raised lettering and are in every way identical to credit cards except that the word "debit" is usually written somewhere on the card (though not always) and you use your own money.

No Thai bank that I know of issues such cards though. All Thai issued debit cards have the card details printed onto the cards, usually have an expiry date about 10 years in advance (unlike credit and debit cards issued overseas which are usually valid only for 2-3 years at a time), generally don't have the card holder's name printed and state "electronic use only".

I have so far not been able to use a Thai issued debit card online.

Australian and US issued debit cards can be used just like credit cards and indeed I have used them to rent cars and the like both in those countries and in SE Asia, no problems, no questions asked.

You are lucky. I have a Kasikorn K-web card, and have had all sorts of problems with it dealing with Air Asia. I now have the Bangkok Bank debit card Be 1st, and have had no problems at all with it. I have also got a Bangkok Bank credit card. kasikorn would not give me one as I do not have a work permit.

Up until about four years ago when I did have a work permit, SCB still would not give me a credit card. I cancelled my account with them immediately.

Things have changed because when I spoke with SCB in January they were more than happy to offer me a credit card. An unsecured credit card requires a minimum income of 35,000 Baht per month for foreigners (well, not unreasonable considering that the majority of foreigners here are legally required to earn 50,000 Baht a month) and a minimum working history of 6 consecutive months (this can be from different companies). The credit limit is usually 3.5 times the monthly salary.

Debit cards can be used just like credit cards provided they have raised lettering and are in every way identical to credit cards except that the word "debit" is usually written somewhere on the card (though not always) and you use your own money.

No Thai bank that I know of issues such cards though. All Thai issued debit cards have the card details printed onto the cards, usually have an expiry date about 10 years in advance (unlike credit and debit cards issued overseas which are usually valid only for 2-3 years at a time), generally don't have the card holder's name printed and state "electronic use only".

I have so far not been able to use a Thai issued debit card online.

Australian and US issued debit cards can be used just like credit cards and indeed I have used them to rent cars and the like both in those countries and in SE Asia, no problems, no questions asked.

You have not been able to use a debit card on line from Thailand because you must register it first with the Bank for use on line Call the bank and its simple to register and can be used on line or in person

Did not know that I have SOOO many realtives in thailand... as I also belong to the family of "BE1st valued member"

Actually, as it is an electron (debit) card which does NOT have imprinted name (highprint) and can only be used together with PIN at ATM, it does not matter too much, even though from a VISA perspective, it is of course a break of rules... the name of the customer MUST be imprinted always...

This sounds like a good solution. But when I book an online ticket with Thai Airways (TG), when I check in, they ask to see the card I used to make the booking and then enter some of the card's numbers into their computer system & hand me the card back. I think Bangkok Airways may be similar.

So how would / could this work with a virtual credit card? Is there anything physical that could be produced under such circumstances?

I can answer your question from 1st hand experience.

The TG system can obviously identify those K-web shopping cards by the numbers and automaticlly anotes the etickets with "No need to check CC".

Using these "cards" on another airline is a total different story.....

When you open a bank account in Thailand you will get a generic debit card with it. All banks have these on stock and will link it to your account on the spot. This does make things easier (very fast to get the card or a replacement) but your name will not be on it. Many banks however do offer a named card but mostly you must specifically ask for it. A named card does take some time (not printed at the bank office) and will often cost you a little.

Did not know that I have SOOO many realtives in thailand... as I also belong to the family of "BE1st valued member"

Actually, as it is an electron (debit) card which does NOT have imprinted name (highprint) and can only be used together with PIN at ATM, it does not matter too much, even though from a VISA perspective, it is of course a break of rules... the name of the customer MUST be imprinted always...

can be used at any online card reader and does not require PIN.

Citibank Thailand, Citibank Singapore and all other Citibanks around the world can print your ATM card within 10-30 minutes and your name on it. But Thai Banks can't because these machines cost money? Or require higher level skills? Who knows smile.png

My Bangkok Bank desk issued electronic debit card has my name printed on it at bottom left front corner and always has. But this was issued about 2 years ago so perhaps a change if not doing now. Is poster perhaps holding one of the new chip type cards? Those may not have any name for security reasons?

Citibank Thailand, Citibank Singapore and all other Citibanks around the world can print your ATM card within 10-30 minutes and your name on it. But Thai Banks can't because these machines cost money? Or require higher level skills? Who knows smile.png

My Bangkok Bank desk issued electronic debit card has my name printed on it at bottom left front corner and always has. But this was issued about 2 years ago so perhaps a change if not doing now. Is poster perhaps holding one of the new chip type cards? Those may not have any name for security reasons?

I got a new/replacement Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card a little over a year ago (old one cracked in two) at a Nakhon Pathom branch...the replacement didn't have my name on it. The wife and I also opened a new Bangkok Bank account at a Bangkok branch (the Silom Rd branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building) about 6 months ago and both of our debit cards did not have our names on it. But I've always heard you can request the Be1st debit card with your name on it but you need to wait a week or so to get it. Just so much variation amount Thai banks and branches.