What if Thailand goes to Marshall law

keithet

it is my personal belief that within time, All of Thailand is going to be burning (literally). Not that I want to see civil war and violence but in many respects maybe its Thailand's turn to feel what the rest of Southeast Asia has. I was talking with my wife last night about how the rest of this region, EVERY other country has seen major bloodshed (War in Vietnam, Laotian Civil War, Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, Military Junta in Myanmar etc.) She really has very little idea about how her country's neighbors have suffered, Thailand has been very good about playing its cards to avoid any problems, i.e colonization ( a tradition that goes back to the Ayutthayan Kingdom), but I think eventually that luck will run out, coupled with the inevitable passing of you know who, this country is headed straight down a path that is going to drastically change mindsets, lives and ways of thinking. We should all be very aware that we are living in a volatile country at a volatile time with some very volatile people and to make a joke about some guy named "Marshall Law" is disrespectful to not only those who have died in Thailand but those in neighboring countries that have lost their lives, IT IS NOT A JOKE, and you will not be laughing when the violence and bloodshed and turmoil are knocking on your doorstep.

Also as a student of history and a side , Thailand's current territorial map consists of for a large part of land stolen from other nations (though by no means just a Thai attribute). The North having belonged to the Burmese and the independent Kingdom of Chiang Mai, the far south being Malay and the Northeast being Khmer and Lao......

Edited by Smurkster

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody thinks the situation in Thailand is a joke.

But there are thousands of posts on hundreds of threads about the gloom and doom of the situation. Feel free to tune in to any one of them.

A little bit of foxhole humor has worked wonders in the trenches of every war in the history of mankind. You can either keep your sense of humor, or you can be miserable and afraid.

I know which way I'm trying to go.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

it is my personal belief that within time, All of Thailand is going to be burning (literally). Not that I want to see civil war and violence but in many respects maybe its Thailand's turn to feel what the rest of Southeast Asia has. I was talking with my wife last night about how the rest of this region, EVERY other country has seen major bloodshed (War in Vietnam, Laotian Civil War, Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, Military Junta in Myanmar etc.) She really has very little idea about how her country's neighbors have suffered, Thailand has been very good about playing its cards to avoid any problems, i.e colonization ( a tradition that goes back to the Ayutthayan Kingdom), but I think eventually that luck will run out, coupled with the inevitable passing of you know who, this country is headed straight down a path that is going to drastically change mindsets, lives and ways of thinking. We should all be very aware that we are living in a volatile country at a volatile time with some very volatile people and to make a joke about some guy named "Marshall Law" is disrespectful to not only those who have died in Thailand but those in neighboring countries that have lost their lives, IT IS NOT A JOKE, and you will not be laughing when the violence and bloodshed and turmoil are knocking on your doorstep.

Also as a student of history and a side , Thailand's current territorial map consists of for a large part of land stolen from other nations (though by no means just a Thai attribute). The North having belonged to the Burmese and the independent Kingdom of Chiang Mai, the far south being Malay and the Northeast being Khmer and Lao......

Lighten up. Christ. Life must be a box of cherry goodwill at your place.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lighten up. Christ. Life must be a box of cherry goodwill at your place.

lighten up about what??? I'm not griping, just prepared for the shit the WILL GO DOWN

The country is going through hell.

People are being hurt and killed.

Life as we know it may be drastically changed.

And you are only worried about booze and bars??

&lt;deleted&gt;?

20,000 children die EVERY day because of hunger or preventable diseases.

I can still eat my fill at a buffet as do everyone else there, without batting an eyelid!

Forgetting the one variable.....that I will not mention...'76 at Thammasat University comes to my mind as the worst..... yes there has been major conflict in Thailand in the past, but this event I speak of will be unprecedented and A MAJOR factor in the future of Thailand

The military won't enforce martial law, they aren't a tool of the government.

You need to investigate a bit further. The military is divided. The police are divided. It wouldn't be the first time in recent history that the police have fought the military. Or. you might want to look up

Thammasat University massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First they beat the students then hanged them. If I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Nobody knows the future.

I think the odds are VERY small that things will go really "blood running in the streets" pear-shaped, would take a perfect storm of the main unmentionable event concurrent with an out-of-left field power grab by a group not currently in the game.

In which case the foreigners aren't targeted, will have time to get out of Dodge. . .

An ordinary military coup would IMO be just that, par for the course and life goes on.

You need to investigate a bit further. The military is divided. The police are divided. It wouldn't be the first time in recent history that the police have fought the military. Or. you might want to look up

Thammasat University massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this OP is obviously quite well educated when it comes to recent Thai history and I applaud him (or her) for being able to cite such concrete facts...it would also behoove any individual REALLY interested in knowing a little more to check out the book "The King Never Smiles" don't bother trying to find it in Thailand as it is banned, but buying it through an e-book is very possible and if I say so myself "dangerously" informative....and anyone saying "the military won't enforce martial law, they aren't a tool of the government" should probably do a little more research themselves into Thai Social studies and get their head checked because that itself is probably one of the most erroneous statements one could make regarding Thailand, unless of course it was sarcasm..which it very well could have been...????

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

Why are some tourist and x pats so concerned whether the bars and girls are still working, people are dying on both sides I have been through two riots there

its not fun, I sincerely hope the trouble can be resolved soon as possible and everyone can get back to a normal life once more

Why are some tourist and x pats so concerned whether the bars and girls are still working, people are dying on both sides I have been through two riots there

its not fun, I sincerely hope the trouble can be resolved soon as possible and everyone can get back to a normal life once more

Because that's what they worked and saved for all year, not to see a bunch of loons killing and maiming each other.

• Like 1

Hi keiyhet

Over many years Thailand -- or parts thereof -- have been repeatedly subjected to martial law. Most recently was during the elections ending the rule of the Junta. Based on this experience I would say that you have little to concern you.

Tourists remained virtually unaware.

Apart from those Thais targeted by the the Junta --- life proceeded pretty much as usual.

Sale of alcohol was not banned. smile.png

I always liked the photo, I think from the 1980s, of the tank stopping for a red light during one of the regular coups.

I worry that the Army hasn't been getting enough practice. They did pretty well in 2006, but when things got drawn out for a long time in 2010 they got bloody. It used to be that coups were just like elections: the normal way to turn the trough over to a different bunch of pigs, but the last time the Army was so corrupt they realized they had to return to civil government. Too soon, I think, because they turned to the Democrats, who were wildly unpopular at the time and haven't gotten more lovable since then.

Because that's what they worked and saved for all year, not to see a bunch of loons killing and maiming each other.

Yeah, but whether they can buy booze and get laid or not falls to insignificance compared the the photos of the guy mourning the death of his kids.

A little sensitivity and perspective is in order.

Well,I managed to be here in '73, '76, and '91 when the military staged coups, and returned

here in '07 when the military were already in power. At no time was there any disruption of booze and nightlife.

Granted, this time may be different, but I'll wager status quo.

Hi keiyhet

Over many years Thailand -- or parts thereof -- have been repeatedly subjected to martial law. Most recently was during the elections ending the rule of the Junta. Based on this experience I would say that you have little to concern you.

Apart from those Thais targeted by the the Junta --- life proceeded pretty much as usual.

I always liked the photo, I think from the 1980s, of the tank stopping for a red light during one of the regular coups.

I worry that the Army hasn't been getting enough practice. They did pretty well in 2006, but when things got drawn out for a long time in 2010 they got bloody. It used to be that coups were just like elections: the normal way to turn the trough over to a different bunch of pigs, but the last time the Army was so corrupt they realized they had to return to civil government. Too soon, I think, because they turned to the Democrats, who were wildly unpopular at the time and haven't gotten more lovable since then.

I see you have been a member since 2004 so you know for a fact that is a false statement you have made.

It was two successive governments owned by Thaksin who followed the coup. What do you gain out of a false statement like that?

My only concern is how many idiots on this thread have continued to call martial law "Marshall Law" - time to pick up a book instead of a bar girl and "learn yourself" some knowledge...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

It's Marshall plan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan

I am aware - and it's not the same thing as martial law.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hi keiyhet

I see you have been a member since 2004 so you know for a fact that is a false statement you have made.

It was two successive governments owned by Thaksin who followed the coup. What do you gain out of a false statement like that?

2008 2011 Abhisit Vejjajiva Democratic party.

You need to investigate a bit further. The military is divided. The police are divided. It wouldn't be the first time in recent history that the police have fought the military. Or. you might want to look upThammasat University massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this OP is obviously quite well educated when it comes to recent Thai history and I applaud him (or her) for being able to cite such concrete facts...it would also behoove any individual REALLY interested in knowing a little more to check out the book "The King Never Smiles" don't bother trying to find it in Thailand as it is banned, but buying it through an e-book is very possible and if I say so myself "dangerously" informative....and anyone saying "the military won't enforce martial law, they aren't a tool of the government" should probably do a little more research themselves into Thai Social studies and get their head checked because that itself is probably one of the most erroneous statements one could make regarding Thailand,

unless of course it was sarcasm..which it very well could have been...????

Certainly not a good idea trying to buy this book, even through an e-book, for us living in Thailand :-(

I can live dangerously but not that much LOL

You need to investigate a bit further. The military is divided. The police are divided. It wouldn't be the first time in recent history that the police have fought the military. Or. you might want to look upThammasat University massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this OP is obviously quite well educated when it comes to recent Thai history and I applaud him (or her) for being able to cite such concrete facts...it would also behoove any individual REALLY interested in knowing a little more to check out the book "The King Never Smiles" don't bother trying to find it in Thailand as it is banned, but buying it through an e-book is very possible and if I say so myself "dangerously" informative....and anyone saying "the military won't enforce martial law, they aren't a tool of the government" should probably do a little more research themselves into Thai Social studies and get their head checked because that itself is probably one of the most erroneous statements one could make regarding Thailand,

unless of course it was sarcasm..which it very well could have been...????

Edited by Smurkster