THAI books Bt12bn net loss

webfact

AVIATION
THAI books Bt12bn net loss

The Nation

30227849-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International showed a net loss of Bt12 billion in 2013, seriously hit by fierce competition and political turbulence in the fourth quarter. In the previous year, it reaped Bt6.23 billion in net profit.

The company’s share price was unchanged at noon, at Bt13, while the composite SET index was 0.12 point or 0.01 per cent lower to 1,303.76 points. Market turnover was as thin as Bt8.4 billion.

In the year, THAI’s operating loss, exclusive of contribution from Nok Air, hit Bt2.896 billion against the operating profit of Bt5.75 billion in the previous year.

The airline said in the filing to the Stock Exchange of Thailand that in 2013, sale revenue grew only 2.5 per cent on year due to fierce competition, the new tourism law in China, and the domestic political protest in Thailand in the fourth quarter which is a seasonally best-selling period. Meanwhile, once converted to Thai baht, the foreign income showed a 4.3 per cent depreciation thanks to the baht appreciation against major currencies particularly the Japanese yen.

The operating expenses however rose by 7 per cent on year, mainly because of the higher costs of maintenance, advertising, leasing and expenses on pilots and crew.

In the year, Bt5.4 billion in depreciation cost was booked aside from the foreign exchange loss of Bt3.895 billion.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-26

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be more competitive.

Lower your prices.

Offer better service.

Then people will start using your services again.

..and re-launch the BKK-ATH route.. wink.png

Couldn't they get a foothold into Manchester ??---Emirates and Etihad Turkish etc all doing well, WHY should they go there ?? they have the edge--NON STOP.

Processional airline aviation management teams employed and not necessarily Thai nationals, no political influence plus the complete banning of the freebies regarding seats for self important people whose requests or actually in truth ''demands'' have led to many other fare paying passengers having their bookings and seats rearranged.

The current management team like its predecessors over the years couldn't hold their own in the males restroom.whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

Back in 2012....

Thai Airways International Pcl (THAI) Chief Executive Officer Piyasvasti Amranand thought his annual review went well. That didn’t stop the board from firing him.

“I just want the board to explain the reason,” Piyasvasti said at a media briefing yesterday. “It’s ambiguous. The performance of the company during my term has improved in every aspect and I passed the evaluation at 86 percent.”

--The big question remains: Why did the old CEO (who had done a good job) have to be replaced by one that made huge losses.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-21/fired-thai-air-ceo-blames-politics-over-business-southeast-asia.html

BANGKOK—Thai Airways International PCL said Monday that it dismissed President Piyasvasti Amranand in what analysts said was a politically motivated move that could further damp the outlook for a flag carrier already being hit by high fuel prices and weak demand.

The company didn't provide information on who might succeed Mr. Piyasvasti. Executive Vice President Chokchai Panyayong has been named acting president until a selection committee finds Mr. Piyasvasti's successor, Chairman Ampon Kittiampon said.

--I guess the analysts were right.....

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303610504577417861231329188

--So who was that genius that made Thai Airways loose 12,000,000,000 THB

A member of the government of former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, who is living in self-imposed exile in Dubai, Sorajak was the only candidate for the job and is expected to start in November. He has no previous experience in the airline industry.

http://www.orientaviation.com/section.php?currenyIssue=I20120913120909-B7PQm&currentSection=regionalroundup&currentArticle=A20121003111003-kPC8F&

30222592-01_big_zpsd52abc74.jpg

Thai Airways (THAI) president Sorajak Kasemsuvan has resigned from the post (in Dec 2013) citing health problems

Health problems ??? He finally realised that it's much easier being a minister.......

Where is he now I wonder?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Processional airline aviation management teams employed and not necessarily Thai nationals, no political influence plus the complete banning of the freebies regarding seats for self important people whose requests or actually in truth ''demands'' have led to many other fare paying passengers having their bookings and seats rearranged.

The current management team like its predecessors over the years couldn't hold their own in the males restroom.whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

A few years back the freebies Baht value was published, It was an enormous amount and caused quite some public anger.

I haven't noticed any year by year figures since that time, I winder what the value of these freebies is now?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Given the strategic advantages that Thailand Airways has over other global airlines, there is no excuse for failure on that level.

Over bloated, politicized mess of a company- they should get some foreign executive in to make the necessary decisions in cutting the fat which Thais are unwilling or unable to do.

Perhaps someone like Michael O'Leary from Ryanair.

• Like 1

Back in 2012....

Thai Airways International Pcl (THAI) Chief Executive Officer Piyasvasti Amranand thought his annual review went well. That didn’t stop the board from firing him.

“I just want the board to explain the reason,” Piyasvasti said at a media briefing yesterday. “It’s ambiguous. The performance of the company during my term has improved in every aspect and I passed the evaluation at 86 percent.”

--The big question remains: Why did the old CEO (who had done a good job) have to be replaced by one that made huge losses.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-21/fired-thai-air-ceo-blames-politics-over-business-southeast-asia.html

BANGKOK—Thai Airways International PCL said Monday that it dismissed President Piyasvasti Amranand in what analysts said was a politically motivated move that could further damp the outlook for a flag carrier already being hit by high fuel prices and weak demand.

The company didn't provide information on who might succeed Mr. Piyasvasti. Executive Vice President Chokchai Panyayong has been named acting president until a selection committee finds Mr. Piyasvasti's successor, Chairman Ampon Kittiampon said.

A member of the government of former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, who is living in self-imposed exile in Dubai, Sorajak was the only candidate for the job and is expected to start in November. He has no previous experience in the airline industry.

http://www.orientaviation.com/section.php?currenyIssue=I20120913120909-B7PQm&currentSection=regionalroundup&currentArticle=A20121003111003-kPC8F&

Thai Airways (THAI) president Sorajak Kasemsuvan has resigned from the post (in Dec 2013) citing health problems

probably Piyasvasti wasn't red enough. Same same that singer in CM whose performance was cancelled. Like the Communist countries, in Thailand don't expect anything unless you are a member of the party .. i.e. the CPT ... ooops I mean the PTP Party.

When you see the difference in service and offers on either emirates , Etihad, Cathay or Singapore airlines , specially in business class you don't want to fly TG anymore . That's what I did ... TG sucks , it's a shame as it was so good many years ago , you still can blame the competition but look in your own garden before putting the blame on others.

• Like 1

Be more competitive.

Lower your prices.

Offer better service.

From Perth to BKK they are not bad, the service is good and the seats reasonably comfortable. We have tried the cut price airlines and for such a long flight they are very uncomfortable plus a wait in Singapore KL etc. Thai's offseason rates are competitive. We use them and recommend them to our guests.

• Like 1

Back in 2012....

Health problems ??? He finally realised that it's much easier being a minister.......

Where is he now I wonder?

Sorajak is probably collecting money with a fat parachute deal eventhough they did a lot to dismantle thaiair in everyway they could...these moves that they made when firing Piyasvasti was 100% political and a corrupyed financial moves so that airasia to take over the hauling of thai government worker contracts etc.

• Like 2

Be more competitive.

Lower your prices.

Offer better service.

..and re-launch the BKK-ATH route.. wink.png

Couldn't they get a foothold into Manchester ??---Emirates and Etihad Turkish etc all doing well, WHY should they go there ?? they have the edge--NON STOP.

Indeed, it would seem the be the perfect route, for their smaller (than B744s) A340s, currently stood doing little-or-nothing ?

Or perhaps TG believe they can't compete against any other halfway-decent airline ? wink.png

• Like 1