2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

Hi

Has anyone any idea whether traffic from naklua to Pong Nam Ron ( Cambodia border) on either the 13th/14th April would be signicifanctly heavier than usual ?

I hear of generally increased traffic/accidents during Songkran but generally avoid travelling during it so have no idea.

If so I`ll adjust plans.

Thanks.smile.png

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There must be better things for grown men to do in Patts than run around throwing water over each other?

Jsixpack For the record its not just residents who hate the thing. As a tattooed tourist Brit you would expect me to luv it.

In reality i will be doing a runner on the 10th over to Nam and then back on the 20th where i will continue to talk about football and council estates while propositioning farmers daughters from the North all be it with a nice DRY vest on,

• Like 2

rolleyes.gif

Humbug

"humbug"? I don't think so - he was right on the money with the most profound statement on this thread so far.

"There must be better things for grown men to do in Patts than run around throwing water over each other?"

If throwing water on other people for 10 days straight has become the most exciting thing to do in Pattaya, then it's time to leave.

Well, one option is flying out for ten days.....if you hate it that much!

I really am thinking....Songkran is just not going to adjust itself to you.

You don't say....

I was calling into question the mental health of grown adults who find 10 days of Songkran enjoyable... which probably includes you too.

... as for me, no, I don't need to leave town. I can stay put and enjoy my week by making a few adjustments.

Now please go away! Wait for an "I love Songkran" thread or start one yourself...

It kind of makes you wonder if anyone really enjoys Songkran as "I love Songkran" threads are hard to find.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I am a member of the I hate Songkran in Pattaya club.

Thankfully I wont be here this year.

I will do anything to avoid it.

One or two days in designated areas would be okay but 10 days of living in fear when you want to go about your normal activities is not my idea of fun.

• Like 1

Not everybody can afford to "fly out for ten days" perhaps with a family, hotel stay etc. And why should the victim assume the cost of this?

Don't be so sure, Thailand and Pattaya have changed dramatically over the past decade, and it hasn't stopped yet. I would not be surprised to see a "premature songkran crackdown" within the next couple of years.

You don't say....

I was calling into question the mental health of grown adults who find 10 days of Songkran enjoyable... which probably includes you too.

... as for me, no, I don't need to leave town. I can stay put and enjoy my week by making a few adjustments.

Now please go away! Wait for an "I love Songkran" thread or start one yourself...

It kind of makes you wonder if anyone really enjoys Songkran as "I love Songkran" threads are hard to find.

Nah.....

I am not the one complaining.

You fly out.

Whiners just make songkran that much wetter, with their tears.

You don't say....

Nah.....

You fly out.

Already thoroughly addressed in the FAQ:

6.4. Vent

You don't say....

Nah.....

You fly out.

Already thoroughly addressed in the FAQ:

6.4. Vent

But we simply must pay tribute: this is such a sweet, comforting little fantasy for a wannabe Songkran badass. A Songkran wetter with imaginary tears of the indirect victims! So poetic. How old are you? I know if I had a 6th grader who wrote that beautiful sentiment, I'd be awfully proud of 'im. Reminds me a bit of the sublime death soliloquy in the movie Blade Runner: "All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears... in... rain." Ahhh!

Got your watergun all primed for the action, kid?

Actually we Songkran refuseniks will be enjoying ourselves in quite a variety of other special ways. The initial preparation is a bit of a bother, but thereafter it can be quite a nice holiday. I'm quite looking forward to it: you see, I don't normally treat myself nearly so well. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

You don't say....

Nah.....

You fly out.

I've observed over the years that many people who enjoy Songkran and complain about Songkran complainers in these type of threads don't have very good reading or comprehension skills.

You're a very good example of this as you've failed to grasp the context of the posts you're replying to...

.. which leads me to believe my theory is quite accurate - only children or people with mental disorders can enjoy water throwing for 10 days straight. I'll give a pass for perpetual drunks who come to Pattaya expressly for that purpose: ":forgive them for they know not what they do"...

Edited by tropo

I've observed over the years that many people who enjoy Songkran and complain about Songkran complainers in these type of threads don't have very good reading or comprehension skills.

You're a very good example of this as you've failed to grasp the context of the posts you're replying to...

.. which leads me to believe my theory is quite accurate - only children or people with mental disorders can enjoy water throwing for 10 days straight. I'll give a pass for perpetual drunks who come to Pattaya expressly for that purpose: ":forgive them for they know not what they do"...

+1. And so it's only logical that such posters tend to get themselves banned from the forum. Personality disorders displayed in one topic tend to show up in others as well. The great Songkran badass 'samsiam', long gone (who, by the way, eventually turned out to be a mere driver w/ his windows rolled up), comes to mind. I foresee the same fate looming in this case. smile.png

Actually we Songkran refuseniks will be enjoying ourselves in quite a variety of other special ways. The initial preparation is a bit of a bother, but thereafter it can be quite a nice holiday. I'm quite looking forward to it: you see, I don't normally treat myself nearly so well. smile.png

Yes sir! Get the fridge stocked up with all those lovely foods we normally pass up. Make Songkran a special treat. Can't wait!

• Like 1

If it was only water in SMALL quantities......and for 2-3 days...

But for those who for once in their lives can attack folk in the name of 'fun' this will never be.

Not in Pattaya,

Beach road during Songkran brings to mind the words of Yogi Berra when asked if he still frequented a place where the famous would congregate...

.He responded....' Place is crowded.Nobody goes there'.

Beach road during Songkran brings to mind the words of Yogi Berra when asked if he still frequented a place where the famous would congregate...

.He responded....' Place is crowded.Nobody goes there'.

Except maybe the mentally infirm, drunks and children.

LOL. I should be careful what I say. My wife enjoys it on Beach Road on the big day, but doesn't like the continuous water throwing all over town for 10 days in a row.

I hadn't even given it a thought, as one rarely does living in Thailand, but the 2 main Songkran days fall on Good Friday and Easter Saturday this year.

The good Christians among us will not be playing over these most holy days.

Yes sir! Get the fridge stocked up with all those lovely foods we normally pass up. Make Songkran a special treat. Can't wait!

I've started stockpiling already! Oooh, the liquor cabinet. Hard not start in on that single malt I bought today. Thinking to end on the night of the 19th w/ champagne.

Will post a reminder later for the membership.

• Like 1

Would it be an idea to organize a 'Songkran haters' party at some venue that can be booked out for a private gathering? And then organize a van to transport people, so they don't wet on the way?

Only concern would be that by definition these wouldn't be the most party-minded people.. But then again Pattaya Songkran is annoying enough for even folks that don't mind fun otherwise to seek an alternative.. so it could work!

• Like 1

I've started stockpiling already! Oooh, the liquor cabinet. Hard not start in on that single malt I bought today. Thinking to end on the night of the 19th w/ champagne.

Will post a reminder later for the membership.

For me also the Songkran preparations have started, the wifey went back to the Village this morning and is not coming back until Songkran has finished. violin.gif

partytime2.gifburp.gif

I need to renew my visa at immigration office in Jomtien before April 16, maybe I should go there earlier April 10 or 11 instead ?

Edited by balo

The thread is really informative. Will I be able to go back from Pattaya back to BKK on 11 without any traffic jam or difficulty with transportation?

A lot of people may be leaving town on the 11th--it's Friday and the long holiday starts officially on the 12th. All the transport services will be running but I imagine there could well be some delays at the bus station. You might consider Bell Travel to the airport and then BTS airport link from there, unless you're just taking a taxi all the way in.

Maybe somebody who's actually tried to travel on the 11th in the past could offer a more definitive answer.

The thread is really informative. Will I be able to go back from Pattaya back to BKK on 11 without any traffic jam or difficulty with transportation?

If you can leave on the 10th, much better. That is what I will do. 11th should be no major problem, but a bit heavier traffic.

r

Some of you guys really need to lighten up. Think of how boring life back home is, how dull and monotonous and full of bureaucracy and red tape it is. How everything is prosecutable. Everybody hates the nanny state, or should hate it; you aren't free.

This is the other side of the scale, admittedly, but there are too many timid and overly-sensitive posters on here. A few accidents and infections are a small price to pay for freedom.

What a truly tragic post for so many reasons.

• Like 2

I don't really get the 'I'm fleeing town' brigade, all very dramatic for my liking, it isn't a chemical attack.

Just stay home and if you do need to go out to get stuff go out early doors before the morons climb out of bed.

Thankfully. on the dark side it really isn't that bad anyway.