2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

I was going to go away but plans have changed, am staying, already stocked up and will use the time that would have been spent going out to catch up with certain things I`ve been meaning to do, some study, some reading and planning for a fair bit of travelling end April in to May.

It`s not really too bad in naklua as it`s mostly 1 day, with a little bit either side of it and seems to be in terms of celebrating as opposed to going nuts, with a few exceptions.

I`ll celebrate when it is over.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't really get the 'I'm fleeing town' brigade, all very dramatic for my liking

,IT ISN'T A CHEMICAL ATTACK

Just stay home and if you do need to go out to get stuff go out early doors before the morons climb out of bed.

Thankfully. on the dark side it really isn't that bad anyway.

Where do you think the 'morons'[good word] get their vast supply of filthy water from?

As for 'fun' it is only fun if ALL can enjoy.

Otherwise it is aggression.

My Songkran in Pattaya will be the same as last year. I will sleep late, get up late, surf the virtual world while drinking coffee and eating breakfast in my room. I have stocked up on what I need already, which isn't much.

Then, I will crouch down and flee quickly to one of two nearby hotels with swimming pools, where I can eat, sun, swim, read, and sleep.

When evening comes, I will flee quickly back to my room, where I will virtually surf and actually drink my way into another night's sleep.

Rinse and repeat, as needed. No problem here. It's only a week.

• Like 2

My Songkran in Pattaya will be the same as last year. I will sleep late, get up late, surf the virtual world while drinking coffee and eating breakfast in my room. I have stocked up on what I need already, which isn't much.

Then, I will crouch down and flee quickly to one of two nearby hotels with swimming pools, where I can eat, sun, swim, read, and sleep.

When evening comes, I will flee quickly back to my room, where I will virtually surf and actually drink my way into another night's sleep.

Rinse and repeat, as needed. No problem here. It's only a week.

You nearly hit on a perfect solution. Change to night shift, sleep all day. I did this last year.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I`m considering going to Cambodia during Thai Songkran time.

Is there water throwing there as well ?

I`m reading conflicting reports, would appreciate knowing from someone who has been there at that time, I`d likely choose PP or Sihanoukville.

"Chaul Chnam Thmey – Monday to Wednesday, 14 to 16 April 2014 "

http://thaholiday.co...-schedule-2014/

I do usually just stock up and mostly stay in but considering a change.

Thanks

smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Hardly any, and I have been here for the New Year for 5 years. A little in the rural areas and at Pagodas, never seen it in the towns.

• Like 2

STOCK UP!

Start early to avoid shortages owing to supply interruptions and hording. Got three days left, though the morning of the 11th should be OK. On that morning you'll likely only encounter a few Thai kids w/ squirt guns, if any. The afternoon and evening won't be bad outside bar areas, but remember--it HAS started, and all bets are off.

Not many of us are actually going to freeze a bunch of veggies for the duration. That means resupply, and the best time will be late at night, after 12 if possible, avoiding the night of the 18th (morning of the 19th) entirely.

Fortunately Foodland is open 24 hrs. If you don't have your own vehicle, it might be well to have the number of a taxi or baht bus and charter for the trip of any distance.

The important thing is not to run out of any emergency provision that would force you out during the day, like medicines. For those of us who don't normally make shopping lists, this is the time look around your place and make one. I actually did that last week to my shock. Then I forgot the list, of course. But I think I've got all the non-perishables I need to last me the full 10 days, and some very special treats besides. Pamper yourself--you deserve it in your confinement. BTW, let me call your attn to this valuable 51-page thread: What Movies Or Tv Shows Are You Watching Now? Incredible number of great suggestions there!

Now what we need (which will go into next year's FAQ) is the operation hours of the popular grocery outlets. Foodland we know. What about Friendship and Best? Lemme see, Lotus and Big C open at 10 and close at 9--that right? Central Festival supermarket--10 to 9? But Central is in the worst possible location, so it's pretty much off limits.

Happy shopping!

• Like 1

STOCK UP!

Start early to avoid shortages owing to supply interruptions and hording. Got three days left, though the morning of the 11th should be OK. On that morning you'll likely only encounter a few Thai kids w/ squirt guns, if any. The afternoon and evening won't be bad outside bar areas, but remember--it HAS started, and all bets are off.

Not many of us are actually going to freeze a bunch of veggies for the duration. That means resupply, and the best time will be late at night, after 12 if possible, avoiding the night of the 18th (morning of the 19th) entirely.

Fortunately Foodland is open 24 hrs. If you don't have your own vehicle, it might be well to have the number of a taxi or baht bus and charter for the trip of any distance.

The important thing is not to run out of any emergency provision that would force you out during the day, like medicines. For those of us who don't normally make shopping lists, this is the time look around your place and make one. I actually did that last week to my shock. Then I forgot the list, of course. But I think I've got all the non-perishables I need to last me the full 10 days, and some very special treats besides. Pamper yourself--you deserve it in your confinement. BTW, let me call your attn to this valuable 51-page thread: What Movies Or Tv Shows Are You Watching Now? Incredible number of great suggestions there!

Now what we need (which will go into next year's FAQ) is the operation hours of the popular grocery outlets. Foodland we know. What about Friendship and Best? Lemme see, Lotus and Big C open at 10 and close at 9--that right? Central Festival supermarket--10 to 9? But Central is in the worst possible location, so it's pretty much off limits.

Happy shopping!

Calm down. You make it sound like an episode of the walking dead.

Hi

Best supermarket at naklua/pattaya nua closes 1.00 AM, unsure of opening time.

Tesco Lotus( Pattaya nua ) is open at 8.00 AM ( might even be earlier but is open at 8.00 AM), it closes at 11.00 PM

Big C 2nd Road closes 11.00PM, might even be midnight but unsure,opening time, don`t know sorry but about 10.00 AM sounds right.

• Like 1

Calm down. You make it sound like an episode of the walking dead.

Such trivializing is thoroughly addressed in the FAQ. Go read it.

5. WHY

Q: It's harmless fun and a good laugh

Shaun Of The Dead is closer to what it really is, given the clowns.

Edited by JSixpack

Hi

Tesco Lotus( Pattaya nua ) is open at 8.00 AM ( might even be earlier but is open at 8.00 AM), it closes at 11.00 PM

Big C 2nd Road closes 11.00PM, might even be midnight but unsure,opening time, don`t know sorry but about 10.00 AM sounds right.

Thank you.

How about that Food Mart in Jomtienski? Anybody know? (I don't even know if it's still there.)

Edited by JSixpack

Hi

Thank you.

How that Food Mart in Jomtienski? Anybody know? (I don't even know if it's still there.)

Dah. 24 hours. Davai!

• Like 1

Food mart would be the worst supermarket to go shopping in during songkran, not only for the overpriced food but when you leave the area you will get zapped by a watergun and feel very, very wet . I speak from experience,

I think I will try foodland , around 3 AM in the morning , should be safer.

Edited by balo

Hi

Thank you.

How that Food Mart in Jomtienski? Anybody know? (I don't even know if it's still there.)

Dah. 24 hours. Davai!

To be complete, Dah. 24 часа. Davai!! biggrin.png

Ps: Thanks to Google Translate

Food mart would be the worst supermarket to go shopping in during songkran, not only for the overpriced food but when you leave the area you will get zapped by a watergun and feel very, very wet . I speak from experience,

I think I will try foodland , around 3 AM in the morning , should be safer.

It's fine late at night except for the super peak day.

OK, friend o' mine verifies that Best Supermarket operates from 8 AM to 1 AM.

Now we're just missing Friendship. Get that and I'll summarize in a list. Tropo?

Foodland had a decent supply of boxed red wine a few days ago. Today, it's ALL gone--stockpiling and hording. You find a box, grab it!

OK, friend o' mine verifies that Best Supermarket operates from 8 AM to 1 AM.

Now we're just missing Friendship. Get that and I'll summarize in a list. Tropo?

Foodland had a decent supply of boxed red wine a few days ago. Today, it's ALL gone--stockpiling and hording. You find a box, grab it!

Friendship closes as 2:30 am everyday of the week. That's where I'll be stocking up my supplies during Songkran, after midnight.

Edit: The hardware section upstairs closes at 10 pm

Edited by tropo

Happy shopping!

Big-C's close at 11pm. Central is 11am to 11pm, but as you say, the worst location during Songkran.

OK, to summarize:

Food Mart (Jomtien): 24/7
Friendship: 8? - 2:30 AM (hardware section 10 PM) (approach from 3rd Rd or from east otherwise on South Pattaya Rd.)
Foodland: 24/7
Best Supermarket: 8 - 1:00 AM (approach from east on N. Pattaya Rd if possible, avoiding beer bars on 2nd Rd and Naklua Rd.)
Lotus: 8 AM - 11 PM
Big C: 8 AM? - 11 PM
Central Festival: 11 AM - 11 PM, but impossible location surrounded by bar areas.

In the early morning the Thai fresh markets (e.g., S. Pattaya, Pattaya Klang, Naklua, Soi Photisan) are a possibility. Seems to me they get going by 7? 6 maybe? (You can tell I'm not a morning person.)

• Like 2

Well, how have you been able to avoid being songkraned in so many years?

How about a bandage around you arm or leg? I don`t remember if I was going

to the doctor or something, but I didn`t want to get wet, so last year I brought

a broken phone with me and just held it to my ear as I was approaching a

"sprayer-gang" while pointing at it with my other hand. Worked like a charm.

Walking inside bars works also, but you have to go out in the street sometimes

to reach the next bars wink.png

But most days I just join in. It`s a lot of fun and keeps you young. If people

get grumpy over getting sprayed, they should hang out somewhere else. It

have been like this at least since year 2000, which was the first time for me.

It`s a Pattaya tradition to celebrate all the different dates around Thailand,

and I hope it will be like that forever. If I get old and grumpy, I hope I still can

appreciate the fun during Songkran. It`s something I look forward to every year!

Get out! Be social! Spray some people! Have fun and get some new friends!

Cheers smile.png

Edited by Eagleizer

Well, how have you been able to avoid being songkraned in so many years?

How about a bandage around you arm or leg? I don`t remember if I was going

to the doctor or something, but I didn`t want to get wet, so last year I brought

a broken phone with me and just held it to my ear as I was approaching a

"sprayer-gang" while pointing at it with my other hand. Worked like a charm.

Walking inside bars works also, but you have to go out in the street sometimes

to reach the next bars wink.png

get grumpy over getting sprayed, they should hang out somewhere else. It

have been like this at least since year 2000, which was the first time for me.

It`s a Pattaya tradition to celebrate all the different dates around Thailand,

and I hope it will be like that forever. If I get old and grumpy, I hope I still can

appreciate the fun during Songkran. It`s something I look forward to every year!

Cheers smile.png

Keeps you young. LOL yeah, sure....Come to Pattaya - Stay young!

But apparently you don't like getting wet and go to the trouble of carrying a dummy phone in an effort to stay dry, so you're being a bit contradictory, aren't you?

... and then by the end of the day/night you're too drunk to care.

... but you misunderstand the purpose of this thread. It's to help people who don't want to join in. Most normal people don't appreciate being soaked wherever they go.

We're suggesting ways to stay happy and dry during Songkran.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

get grumpy over getting sprayed, they should hang out somewhere else. . . .

Havin' fun and keepin' young:

post-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg

Watch me make her crash her motorbike!

Photo & caption credit: SurfRider

"Hang out?" What are you talking about? It's either leave the city or stay home--for 10 days.

And just "sprayed" with filthy water? How fun, for 10 days. But if you REALLY know Pattaya Songkran, how could you possibly forget about the powder & ice cubes? They're MAJOR.

Given that critical "oversight," your opinions about Songkran are meaningless. You don't know what's really going on or what you're talking about.

As for "grumpy," already addressed in the FAQ. Read it.

• Q: But saying anything against Songkran is a whinge.

And the only solutions for us Songkran refuseniks are already thoroughly explored in detail in the FAQ. Read it. There's also a big section for those who want to be victims.

• Like 2

Songkran makes you younger ? I think with some people its opposite , it makes you older looking .

The older you are, the greater the risk and consequences of infection or injury during Songkran. Despite the appeal to the senility, it's foolish for an old man (or woman) to get out there in it.

Funny, everyone I know who has been here a long time truly hates Songkran, and are planning

on how to get out of Thailand. It should be renamed Hooligan Week, as that would be a far more

accurate description...... :-) It is far better for me to stay home and watch torrent downloaded movies,

because if I go out, and some farang hooligan tries to blast me in the face with ice cold water from

an " outlawed" pipe water gun to knock me off my bike, there will be an <deleted> kicking taking place....

So me staying home is helping Pattaya tourism by removing possible violence....

To JSixpack, an awesome piece of work on the subject. Thanks !!!!

wai2.gif It very much needed to be done!

Movies: in case you're unaware--I don't see any of your posts there--and missed my earlier link, check out this valuable 51-page thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612173-what-movies-or-tv-shows-are-you-watching-now/. Recently discovered it myself. Just the other day it inspired me finally to get around to watching the enjoyable Saving Mr. Banks.

Now I've got a playlist all lined up for Songkran and am looking forward to watching. Not minding at all missing the privilege of being a target for the hooligans and depriving a few of their enjoyment, heh, heh . . . . Kinda looking forward to the holiday at home now.

get grumpy over getting sprayed, they should hang out somewhere else. . . .

Havin' fun and keepin' young:

post-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg

Watch me make her crash her motorbike!

Photo & caption credit: SurfRider

"Hang out?" What are you talking about? It's either leave the city or stay home--for 10 days.

And just "sprayed" with filthy water? How fun, for 10 days. But if you REALLY know Pattaya Songkran, how could you possibly forget about the powder & ice cubes? They're MAJOR.

Given that critical "oversight," your opinions about Songkran are meaningless. You don't know what's really going on or what you're talking about.

As for "grumpy," already addressed in the FAQ. Read it.

• Q: But saying anything against Songkran is a whinge.

And the only solutions for us Songkran refuseniks are already thoroughly explored in detail in the FAQ. Read it. There's also a big section for those who want to be victims.

I recall that photo from last year( or was it even the year before ? )

In many countries that would quite likely be considered assault.

Here a few idiots seem to think it is OK.

I don`t even ride a motorbike yet it annoys me.

• Like 1

Had no idea it was this bad in Pattaya for Songkran and had no idea that it went on for 10 days that is utter insanity and shows no respect for residents of the city.

2 days down on Khao San is usually enough for me, Bangkok is great as Songkran is actually very easy to avoid if you don't wish to be involved in it.

• Like 2