2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Need to get to a doctor?... A hospital?... Need to get to work or do some shopping?

If you live in Pattaya and rely on public transport, here's what you have to look forward to . . .

Yep, baht bus passengers are the only ones doing it tougher than motorcyclists, although a bit more safely.

I'm in Thailand for Songkran for the first time in about 20 years. Like the world as a whole it's gotten much more aggressive--so one evening in a touristy part of BKK tells me.

Having fun doesn't mean you can completely disrespect others wai.gifwai2.gif . The corollary is if you're an arschloch to others you deserve the worst back.

On another note I've spent a couple of Khmer New Years in Siem Reap and wanted to this year too. It's just days and days of hypnotic music (xylophone) and chanting broadcast on loudspeakers. The Khmers just hang with their families. It's very low key and very cool, highly recommended.

In actual fact the "fun" seekers are looking for targets like you who want to remain dry. It's far more satisfying for them. Spraying people who are already soaking wet doesn't appeal to them.

Good luck getting out dry!

Yes, they're predators, or giving vent to their predatory instinct. This is the one irritation about it, the some times very mean-spirited behavior.

I shouldn't have said most people have no honor, I was just back from a soaking and a little annoyed--but it's not something easy to find these days.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

Havin' fun and keepin' young:

post-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg

Watch me make her crash her motorbike!

This is such an iconic photo. Nothing sums up the "fun" more:

Aiming for the head (or more specifically the eyes, nose or ears) of course, to make absolutely certain the victim will not enjoy the experience by suffering as much discomfort as possible. Always ensure that the water is dirty so that there's a chance the victim will get an infection. Try to find victims who don't want to get wet, such as people who are making frantic gestures pleading not to be soaked. Try to find victims who are obviously on their way to work and need to stay dry. If possible, try to find victims who have valuables that could be damaged by water. If you don't have a high pressure water gun, be sure to have lots of ice and big buckets and ensure that the motorbike you're aiming for is travelling at a reasonable speed so there's a chance they will crash.

There's always sadistic f***heads in our midst. Songkran brings them out in droves.

Whenever I see this photo I fantasize about smacking that guy in the head.

You would never get tired of hitting this fool.

• Like 2

Today at Nong Nooch Garden (very crowded by the way).

Now this is a good way of celebrating Songkran, they have this "splash area" where you can join or not, I took the photo with tele so about 75 meters away from it all.

The Elephants can blow app 30-50 lit on one trunk full so very impressive and much better than a pathetic water gun any day, he-he.

They had a huge amount of rainfall out there today by the way for 30 min or so, luckily we were just on the way back in the truck when it started.

post-69360-0-99055600-1397391857_thumb.j

Edited by guzzi850m2

Already full activity in Jomtien , in the bar area, just stay away if you want to avoid being hit in the face.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Need to get to a doctor?... A hospital?... Need to get to work or do some shopping?

Yes, unfortunately a few years back I had to get to Bangkok Pattaya hospital, a friend was seriously ill, took a motorbike taxi for speed, it certainly didn`t fill me with joy that idiot revellers were intent on creating more hospital admissions.

It`s a shame that there couldn`t be a special area just for those that want to play like children, that would of course spoil their twisted fun as they really only want to target those that want nothing to do with the excesses of Songkran.

Going into Pattaya at 8 pm tonight by bus heavy action.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When do they normally stop in the evenings , is it safe after 10 pm ?

Going into Pattaya at 8 pm tonight by bus heavy action.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When do they normally stop in the evenings , is it safe after 10 pm ?

It can be, but also it may not. ;)

Just stay away from Bar area's (like Soi buakhao, Soi 3-4-6-7-8 etc) and you have a decent chance to stay dry

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Tonight was a stupid night to go by bus as early as 8. It was a test of sorts. Failed!

I was hit about 30 times.

My experience last year is you can still be hit after 10 but less.

Obviously peak days are much worse.

It's dangerous for people who really need glasses. If you wear them, they can be blown off your head. If you don't, you can't see. Decisions decisions. Of course you can take them off while riding the bus.

My experience is that there will be a more calm before the big storm between now and the 18th and 19th.

Here's an issue I've noticed.

Songkran OVER SHOPPING.

post-37101-0-38681000-1397406481_thumb.j

Just how many bananas can you hoard? (They go rotten even in the fridge.)

Did you really need to stock up on 10 bottles of pasta sauce?

20 cans of tuna ... are you starting a sushi bar in a trailer park?

Is there one more square inch of space in the refrigerator for just one more little thing?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not at all totally opposed to the water fun, just don't want to get doused with cold water when I've got the chills as I did until this morning (it's feels so good to feel normal again!)

I know this isn't strictly on-topic since I'm not going anywhere near Pattaya, but I'll offer these observations, since I spent 4 hours walking, taxi-ing, and minibussing through all variety of celebrations in and outside Bangkok:

The falang scene at Khao-san was far and away the loudest and most aggressive. No comparison. I avoided getting drenched, which was great because my objection to getting wet today was because I was going to have to then sit in the freaking below-zero BTS for 30 minutes (there must be a thread or two on that somewhere).

Once the minibus got out of lower Sukhumvit, the vibe was fun-loving but not aggressive. Every motorbike dousing I saw was aiming below the belt, not at the head. Not that the stories about Thais "wiping out" Thais with bucketfulls are apocryphal, but over-all I was moved today to once again bless the SE Asians for helping greatly to keep the spirit of gentility alive in our world (at least most of the time!).

I'm staying over in an anonymous town, lots of water fun going on, mellow vibe, it's stopped around 8PM. It's good to be back in plain ole unexciting Thailand again smile.png.

My experience is that there will be a more calm before the big storm between now and the 18th and 19th.

Songkran OVER SHOPPING.

attachicon.gif1bfd71a437ea88f2d2bdc718ce2a48c3.jpg

Is there one more square inch of space in the refrigerator for just one more little thing?

Ha ha nice one, or series of ones!

I love the "Munch Alone" pastiche, hilarious.

Don't hoard just get the motobike guys to do the shopping for you ;)

Oke, you have to pay a Premium and they don't always get it right, but you still will have fresh bananas

:wai:

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

Pattaya is hell for residents (without cars) and people not specifically here for the madness because it lasts so BLOODY LONG! Pattaya Songkran is different. BAD different.

One interesting detail about tonight after 8 PM, weather already cool so who needs cold water ... when entering the Middle Eastern district the spray guns changed into BIG BUCKETS. That's right, BIG BUCKETS of cold water at CLOSE RANGE directly at you on the bus well into evening. Enjoy!

Edited by Jingthing

Songkran OVER SHOPPING.

attachicon.gif1bfd71a437ea88f2d2bdc718ce2a48c3.jpg

LOL. I've no more space in my fridge and my bananas are almost finished too.

• Like 1

I've got SO MANY bananas.w00t.gif

There is a trick with bananas that sometimes works.

Buy them green of course and when they are nearly ripe or ripe (nearly better) put in fridge.

They can last a week in the fridge that way ... sometimes.

The outside turns black but the inside is till good ... for longer than not in fridge anyway.

Don't even ask about how my YOGURT situation.

Hoarding is OK ... if you don't, others will and when you venture out ... nada.

Edited by Jingthing

I live on the darkside Kho Noi and Went for Sunday dinner 6 pm on my motorbike, saw a few kids with what looked like their mom armed with buckets. I shouted, please no, but got an ice cold wave. The woman was so enthusiastic directing her kids to aim for our face's. Great shot nearly had us off the bike. We went home dried off, ate in and booked a trip to Krabi for Tuesday. This crap used to happen mostly in town its crept out here now. <deleted> is it all about realy.........how many deaths do they want...Nutters !!

I've got SO MANY bananas.w00t.gif

There is a trick with bananas that sometimes works.

Buy them green of course and when they are nearly ripe or ripe (nearly better) put in fridge.

They can last a week in the fridge that way ... sometimes.

The outside turns black but the inside is till good ... for longer than not in fridge anyway.

Don't even ask about how my YOGURT situation.

Hoarding is OK ... if you don't, others will and when you venture out ... nada.

It must be tough for you relying on baht buses. I just can't imagine how pissed off I'd be sitting on baht bus as stationary target.

It's quite easy to stock up at Friendship or Foodmart late at night if you have a bike.

I don't have a problem with yogurt as I like the 7Eleven stuff... and I can get there dry any time as there aren't any "kids" playing on our soi.

• Like 1

I must say I really like my pick-up truck right now, okay I am stuck in heavy traffic but at least my family and I get dry out to the shopping center and back.

So there we go - a solution to the Songkran blues - buy a car or truck.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I must say I really like my pick-up truck right now, okay I am stuck in heavy traffic but at least my family and I get dry out to the shopping center and back.

So there we go - a solution to the Songkran blues - buy a car or truck.biggrin.png

Well since I need the truck for other purposes as well, this is the best solution for me but getting out of town (or country) is even better, but I can't.

If I was a single I would have gone overseas for holidays for sure, Penang perhaps?