2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

I live on the darkside Kho Noi and Went for Sunday dinner 6 pm on my motorbike, saw a few kids with what looked like their mom armed with buckets. I shouted, please no, but got an ice cold wave. The woman was so enthusiastic directing her kids to aim for our face's. Great shot nearly had us off the bike. We went home dried off, ate in and booked a trip to Krabi for Tuesday. This crap used to happen mostly in town its crept out here now. <deleted> is it all about realy.........how many deaths do they want...Nutters !!I

I heard more ambulance sirens today BY FAR than I've heard on any day living several years in Jomtien.facepalm.gif

Has Pattaya Songkran morphed into the Running of the Bulls ... but much LONGER?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live on the darkside Kho Noi and Went for Sunday dinner 6 pm on my motorbike, saw a few kids with what looked like their mom armed with buckets. I shouted, please no, but got an ice cold wave. The woman was so enthusiastic directing her kids to aim for our face's. Great shot nearly had us off the bike. We went home dried off, ate in and booked a trip to Krabi for Tuesday. This crap used to happen mostly in town its crept out here now. <deleted> is it all about realy.........how many deaths do they want...Nutters !!I

I heard more ambulance sirens today BY FAR than I've heard on any day living several years in Jomtien.facepalm.gif

Has Pattaya Songkran morphed into the Running of the Bulls ... but much LONGER?

I heard one too up here in the village. Dance music at the headman's house went off and about an hour later, the sad "somebody died" music started. Lots of old folks here, at least 1 a week kicks off. sad.png

Some of you guys really need to lighten up. Think of how boring life back home is, how dull and monotonous and full of bureaucracy and red tape it is. How everything is prosecutable. Everybody hates the nanny state, or should hate it; you aren't free.

This is the other side of the scale, admittedly, but there are too many timid and overly-sensitive posters on here. A few accidents and infections are a small price to pay for freedom.

Freedom or anarchy? While I agree with your basic sentiment toward the nanny state to a great degree, I beleive that advocating for most songkran "bad behaviour" would be more an advocation of anarchy. How far should the cutoff line between freedom and anarchy go? What if I excercised my "freedom" by shooting dead anyone who threw water at me? You would certainly think that that behaviour should not be tolerated, right? Many of us simply beleive that songkran pushes that line way too close to anarchy, and away from a more reasonable state of freedom.

Shooting somebody can't in any way be considered playful messing about. Throwing some water on somebody can. It's the necessity of accountability some people seem to demand that annoys me.

If you can't understand the difference between playing around and trying to kill somebody then you are likely to be one of the Farang that avidly participates in Songkran.

A car is the salvation so why not just rent a car during songkran in Pattaya ?

So can the idiots have fun without you being 'forced' to join them .

From the FAQ:

Q: Just ride w/ your car windows rolled up.

A: No, the windshield and rear-view mirrors get powdered and pasted so the driver can't see clearly.

Again:

@bubba, on 29 Mar 2013 - 13:26:

I nearly had a very bad accident driving a car down a straight highway at about 90 kph, when all of a sudden a couple of kids darted out and threw two buckets of water that hit my windscreen. The force of water against my windscreen moving at 90 kph cause a huge noise and caused me to momentarily be unable to see do to the water.

@Ian Curtis, on 29 Mar 2013 - 23:52:

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

Best thing you can do w/ a car is drive it out of Pattaya immediately and park it at your hotel/guesthouse in, say, Bang Salay (limited Songran on 20th).

Edited by JSixpack

I found it pretty respectful up here in my town yesterday when we ventured out to the Wat.

The water splashers only on interior neighborhood roads with slower traffic, not out on the main road that I saw. I agree, f'in stupid to hit someone with water as they go by. Especially motor bikes.

Wonder how many mobile phones get fried.

Any reports on the watersports today?

They were already throwing buckets of water at traffic on the southern stretch of soi buhakaow this morning around 10.30am.. any area with bars/karaoke will be a wet spot for the whole week. I also noticed some wet spots on 3rd road last night sad.png

Edited by yoslim

They were already throwing buckets of water at traffic on the southern stretch of soi buhakaow this morning around 10.30am.. any area with bars/karaoke will be a wet spot for the whole week. I also noticed some wet spots on 3rd road last night sad.png

That makes sense from a deranged water throwers POV:- let's throw water at people late at night in areas where they don't expect it - much more fun than wetting people who are already wet in areas where they expect it.

From previous years I observed that late night water throwing on 3rd Road was reserved for the night before the big day (19th). It's just a consideration when attempting some night shopping at Friendship or Foodland.

I have a few words for those who think it is harmless fun to throw buckets of water at passing motorbike riders:

Section 229 Whoever, by any means whatever, renders a public way, sluice gate, dam or embankment, which is a part of a public way or taking off and landing place for airplanes to be in the condition as likely to cause danger to traffic, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years or fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht, or both.

Section 291 Whoever, doing the act by negligence and that act causing the other person to death, shall be imprisoned not out of ten years or fined not out of twenty thousand Baht.

Section 295 Whoever, causes injury to the other person in body or mind is said to commit bodily harm, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or fined not exceeding four thousand Baht, or both.

Section 297 Whoever, commits bodily harm, and thereby causing the victim to receive grievous bodily harm, shall be punished with imprisonment of six months to ten years. Grievous bodily harms are as follows:

1. Deprivation of the sight, deprivation of the hearing, cutting of the tongue or loss of the sense of smelling;
  2. Loss of genital organs or reproductive ability;
  3. Loss of an arm, leg, hand, foot, finger or any other organ;
  4. Permanent disfiguration of face;
  5. Abortion;
  6. Permanent insanity;
  7. Infirmity or chronic illness which may last throughout life;

Section 300 Whoever, committing the act by negligence and such act to cause the grievous bodily harm to the other person, shall be imprisoned three years or fined not out of six thousand Baht, or both.

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#288

Edited by WaywardWind

A friend of mine got it at 11am on Soi AR near Jameson

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

LOL. I read it too quickly and thought you said 11pm. I'm fast asleep at 11am, but how is it in that area at 11pm?

I have a few words for those who think it is harmless fun to throw buckets of water at passing motorbike riders:

Section 229 Whoever, by any means whatever, renders a public way, sluice gate, dam or embankment, which is a part of a public way or taking off and landing place for airplanes to be in the condition as likely to cause danger to traffic, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years or fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht, or both.

Section 291 Whoever, doing the act by negligence and that act causing the other person to death, shall be imprisoned not out of ten years or fined not out of twenty thousand Baht.

Section 295 Whoever, causes injury to the other person in body or mind is said to commit bodily harm, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or fined not exceeding four thousand Baht, or both.

Section 297 Whoever, commits bodily harm, and thereby causing the victim to receive grievous bodily harm, shall be punished with imprisonment of six months to ten years. Grievous bodily harms are as follows:

1. Deprivation of the sight, deprivation of the hearing, cutting of the tongue or loss of the sense of smelling;
  5. Abortion;
  6. Permanent insanity;

Section 300 Whoever, committing the act by negligence and such act to cause the grievous bodily harm to the other person, shall be imprisoned three years or fined not out of six thousand Baht, or both.

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/laws-in-thailand/thailand-criminal-law-text-translation#288

The law is illusive enough during peace times, but isn't there a special dispensation during Songkran Week in Pattaya? I'm sure there is, that's why so many sadistic A-holes come out of the woodwork to "play" without any fear of retribution.

5. Abortion;
  6. Permanent insanity;

The law is illusive enough during peace times, but isn't there a special dispensation during Songkran Week in Pattaya? I'm sure there is, that's why so many sadistic A-holes come out of the woodwork to "play" without any fear of retribution.

Indeed the law can be quite elusive and sporadically enforced here, but at least the law provides a mechanism for injured parties to go after some of these idiots. If someone is injured and goes after not only the idiot with the bucket, but also the bar that put the barrel of ice water out front, then maybe they will think twice in the future.

Indeed the law can be quite elusive and sporadically enforced here, but at least the law provides a mechanism for injured parties to go after some of these idiots. If someone is injured and goes after not only the idiot with the bucket, but also the bar that put the barrel of ice water out front, then maybe they will think twice in the future.

How would you suggest an injured victim is going to go after the "idiot with the bucket" when the streets are lined with such idiots? Even if he was able to, and managed to pin point the idiot, how would he proceed from there? Call the police?

Serious, this is nothing more than a dream.

• Like 1

A friend of mine got it at 11am on Soi AR near Jameson

Got a soaking going down soi Leng Kee and on Arunothai this afternoon 2-4pm :-((

Soi Leng Kee is not so surprising to hear at that time ;)

How would you suggest an injured victim is going to go after the "idiot with the bucket" when the streets are lined with such idiots? Even if he was able to, and managed to pin point the idiot, how would he proceed from there? Call the police?

Serious, this is nothing more than a dream.

Perhaps that is why the nonsense continues - no one takes the idiot with the bucket, and the bars which enable them, to task. Yes, I would start with the police, at minimum to get identification and contact points on the perpetrator and the owner of the bar, and hopefully to have charges laid. Then I would go see a lawyer.

• Like 1

Hope we can keep these reports coming in daily--in this thread, since there's not a separate "It's Started" thread this year. Will be useful for next year's FAQ.

Looks like the schedule and predictions in the current FAQ have been pretty accurate so far.

Nice photos, and heres Songkran 50 years ago not much has changed by the looks of it, seems like some foreigners here want peace and quiet because it suits them.

quiet-respectful1964.jpg

seems like some foreigners here want peace and quiet because it suits them.

The majority, actually. And Thais, too, BTW. smile.png The hooligans create havoc and injury far out of proportion to their actual numbers.

Edited by JSixpack

Was brave enough to go for my neighborhood bicycle ride today, and noticed the hi-so house had packed up their street side water works shop. Looking good so far. Did my circuit and on the home stretch, I was assaulted by a 7 year old with a small bucket of water, then a few meters on, a 5 year old with a garden hose. They haven't got the memo yet. Otherwise, things pretty much back to normal around here.

Will ride down to our water reservoir tomorrow and see how much is left to ride out the drought the government was talking about just before Songkran. blink.png