2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

Funny, everyone I know who has been here a long time truly hates Songkran, and are planning

on how to get out of Thailand. It should be renamed Hooligan Week, as that would be a far more

accurate description...... :-) It is far better for me to stay home and watch torrent downloaded movies,

because if I go out, and some farang hooligan tries to blast me in the face with ice cold water from

an " outlawed" pipe water gun to knock me off my bike, there will be an <deleted> kicking taking place....

So me staying home is helping Pattaya tourism by removing possible violence....

To JSixpack, an awesome piece of work on the subject. Thanks !!!!

wai2.gif It very much needed to be done!

Movies: in case you're unaware--I don't see any of your posts there--and missed my earlier link, check out this valuable 51-page thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612173-what-movies-or-tv-shows-are-you-watching-now/. Recently discovered it myself. Just the other day it inspired me finally to get around to watching the enjoyable Saving Mr. Banks.

Now I've got a playlist all lined up for Songkran and am looking forward to watching. Not minding at all missing the privilege of being a target for the hooligans and depriving a few of their enjoyment, heh, heh . . . . Kinda looking forward to the holiday at home now.

When do you officially start your "holiday at home". Do you leave your home late at night to shop?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny, everyone I know who has been here a long time truly hates Songkran, and are planning

on how to get out of Thailand. It should be renamed Hooligan Week, as that would be a far more

accurate description...... :-) It is far better for me to stay home and watch torrent downloaded movies,

because if I go out, and some farang hooligan tries to blast me in the face with ice cold water from

an " outlawed" pipe water gun to knock me off my bike, there will be an <deleted> kicking taking place....

So me staying home is helping Pattaya tourism by removing possible violence....

To JSixpack, an awesome piece of work on the subject. Thanks !!!!

wai2.gif It very much needed to be done!

Movies: in case you're unaware--I don't see any of your posts there--and missed my earlier link, check out this valuable 51-page thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612173-what-movies-or-tv-shows-are-you-watching-now/. Recently discovered it myself. Just the other day it inspired me finally to get around to watching the enjoyable Saving Mr. Banks.

Now I've got a playlist all lined up for Songkran and am looking forward to watching. Not minding at all missing the privilege of being a target for the hooligans and depriving a few of their enjoyment, heh, heh . . . . Kinda looking forward to the holiday at home now.

When do you officially start your "holiday at home". Do you leave your home late at night to shop?

Friday afternoon, commencing with an official shot o' fine bourbon & Leslie West's Unusual Suspects on the box. Now I might make a last shopping run Friday morning if the coffee kicks in soon enough. wink.png Thereafter, like yourself, I only go out late at night, for shopping only. Going out at, say, 1 AM (pretty safe, avoiding bar areas) doesn't bother me, though of course I'd prefer to go out in the afternoon and combine shopping w/ a visit to a go-go, ha. The goal is, having already stocked up on the non-perishables, a quick in-and-out at Foodland then back home to sleep.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Update:

OK, to summarize:

Food Mart (Jomtien): 24/7
Friendship: 7:30 - 2:30 AM (hardware section 10 PM) (approach from 3rd Rd or from east otherwise on South Pattaya Rd.)
Foodland: 24/7
Best Supermarket: 8 - 1:00 AM (approach from east on N. Pattaya Rd if possible, avoiding beer bars on 2nd Rd and Naklua Rd.)
Lotus: 8 AM - 11 PM
Big C: 9 AM - 11 PM
Central Festival: 11 AM - 11 PM, but impossible location surrounded by bar areas.

In the early morning the Thai fresh markets (e.g., S. Pattaya, Pattaya Klang, Naklua, Soi Photisan) are a possibility. Seems to me they get going by 7? 6 maybe?

• Like 2

^ Good one J6P!

What about Online food order and delivery services (and No I am not talking about Pizza or other Food delivery services with a premium).

Are there any? I can remember sometime ago, something about Lotus or Big C (not sure which) that did this, but is this still available?

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

^ Good one J6P!

What about Online food order and delivery services (and No I am not talking about Pizza or other Food delivery services with a premium).

Are there any? I can remember sometime ago, something about Lotus or Big C (not sure which) that did this, but is this still available?

Glad you mentioned this. The one I've heard about is Door 2 Door. 038-720-222, 11 AM - 3 AM.

Check it all out at: http://door2doorpattaya.com/

Looks pretty good but I've never tried it; maybe now is the time!

^ Good one J6P!

Glad you mentioned this. The one I've heard about is Door 2 Door. 038-720-222, 11 AM - 3 AM.

Check it all out at: http://door2doorpattaya.com/

Looks pretty good but I've never tried it; maybe now is the time!

Door2Door is as good as the restaurants you choose from in their menu. Their order book has a selection of menus from many well known restaurants around town. Some food travels better than others, so choose wisely. For example, french fries and hamburgers won't travel well and won't be too pleasant to eat once the bike deliverer has found your residence.... and during the Songkran week he'll probably need more time to get to you.

...but you can forget about anyone delivering food on Songkran Day.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

^ Good one J6P!

Tesco Lotus have an online offering, they employed extra staff at the Pattaya nua branch as order pickers, I think there is a 60 baht charge for delivery but countering that, they had ( may still have ) some special on line offers to make up for it.

Last time I was at Big C Extra Pattaya Klang (about 3 weeks ago ) there were several signs up promoting their online order and delivery service.

So far I`ve not tried either.

Might be of use to someone.

• Like 1

Be careful you guys who are playing Songkran, there are some real sick ...holes out there

Water pistol + Vinegar = sanook mak mhak loi.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717415-cruel-or-irresponsible-and-stupid-songkran-jerks/page-3#entry7675395

Water pistol + Vinegar = sanook mak mhak loi.

Are you for real?

Is thats what Songkran is to you ? just an ordinary hooligan fest just to injure people, you guys make me sick!!!

Sometimes with my own urine added.

Brilliant.

Ze German Songkran, as I call it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/717415-cruel-or-irresponsible-and-stupid-songkran-jerks/page-3#entry7675536

Be careful you guys who are playing Songkran, there are some real sick ...holes out there

That's the main purpose of this thread - to warn people. There's always "sick....holes" out there, only at Songkran they have licence to do as they please... and at Songkran it's not "some", it's many. They converge on the town from all over Thailand and the rest of the world.

My theory is that any adult who enjoys these activities for over a week is a "sicko" by definition.

And thats why i posted that, this was posted in general, but its already removed by the Moderators

Edited by MJCM

That's the main purpose of this thread - to warn people. There's always "sick....holes" out there, only at Songkran they have licence to do as they please... and at Songkran it's not "some", it's many. They converge on the town from all over Thailand and the rest of the world.

My theory is that any adult who enjoys these activities for over a week is a "sicko" by definition.

And thats why i posted that, this was posted in general, but its already removed by the Moderators

It's still there.

The reason why Songkran "fun" goes on longer and harder in Pattaya than any other place in Thailand is because there are so many "sick...holes" here. They started the whole 10 day mayhem. It'a a pity that the normal people can't put an end to it.

It can get a bit out of hand at times, Alcohol has a lot to do with that, but for every person who has a problem , thousands never have a problem.

As is usual on ThaiVisa, the focus is on the negative.

I saw a guy fall off his bike because his bike slipped on a puddle. He could of avoided it but he was in some kind of rush. Most likely explanation is that he was intoxicated.

If you go slowly some people will attempt to block you by standing infront. Their intentions are playful.

If you do not slow down people may attempt to block you. If you do not slow down you are less likely to be hit as it is difficult to target a bucket of water at a speeding bike. Some however are most practiced and miss only one in ten throws. If you do get hit by a large bucket of water (usually in the chest) it can wind you, knock you off balance or make you lose your vision long enough to crash into some innocent bystander.

Better walk, if you are lucky a nice wai and shake of the head may save you from a soaking. Even then you may get hit by an area of effect water blast, which was not intended for you.

The reason why Songkran "fun" goes on longer and harder in Pattaya than any other place in Thailand is because there are so many "sick...holes" here. They started the whole 10 day mayhem. It'a a pity that the normal people can't put an end to it.

It can get a bit out of hand at times, Alcohol has a lot to do with that, but for every person who has a problem , thousands never have a problem.

As is usual on ThaiVisa, the focus is on the negative.

The vast majority of residents, farang and Thai, have a problem: the 10 days.

I wouldn't suggest it as a good idea to my Grandfather, but my younger brother would have a ball.

I've always enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

I saw a guy fall off his bike because his bike slipped on a puddle. He could of avoided it but he was in some kind of rush. Most likely explanation is that he was intoxicated.

If you go slowly some people will attempt to block you by standing infront. Their intentions are playful.

If you do not slow down people may attempt to block you. If you do not slow down you are less likely to be hit as it is difficult to target a bucket of water at a speeding bike. Some however are most practiced and miss only one in ten throws. If you do get hit by a large bucket of water (usually in the chest) it can wind you, knock you off balance or make you lose your vision long enough to crash into some innocent bystander.

Better walk, if you are lucky a nice wai and shake of the head may save you from a soaking. Even then you may get hit by an area of effect water blast, which was not intended for you.

Most accidents are not caused by the bucket of water hitting them, but by swerving to avoid the bucket of water.

• Like 1

The vast majority of residents, farang and Thai, have a problem: the 10 days.

I wouldn't suggest it as a good idea to my Grandfather, but my younger brother would have a ball.

I've always enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

What do you mean by "it"?

There's a big difference between going out on Songkran Day with intentions of playing and getting wet and the annoyance of being soaked all week when trying to go about your normal daily activities.

Do you seriously expect me to believe if you're going shopping or out to a restaurant at night and someone drenches you with a bucket of ice water, you're going to enjoy the experience?

• Like 2

Most accidents are not caused by the bucket of water hitting them, but by swerving to avoid the bucket of water.

SO true, almost happened to me.

Edited by JSixpack

SO true, almost happened to me.

Motorcyclists will take incredible risks to avoid being hit by water.... which just goes to show how much the 1000's of motorcyclists enjoy Songkran week. If there weren't any motorcyclists to victimize, Songkran would be boring for most of the "fun" seekers. It's not much "fun" throwing buckets of water at passing cars. Perhaps I've solved the mystery of why Songkran is so big and long in Pattaya - there's no other place in Thailand with so many motorcycles.

So breaking it down, what really is Songkran week? It's a week of victimizing motorcyclists, with a shout out to baht bus passengers.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I don't like to go out Song Kranning for 10 days straight but I do like to play it 3 or maybe 4 times over a 10 day period.

I am getting a bit older and can't handle a full 10 days on the lash but the bit I like about Song Kran in pattaya is I can go out and have a big Song Kran day, Changs for Breakfast, Sang Som for lunch etc, get home completely wasted by about 7pm covered in powder and mud. Pass out on the tiles in the bathroom until I get woken up by a spray down with the toilet hose.

Then, I can rest at home for a couple of days recovering, maybe go to my local 7 for a few bits, maybe I get wet maybe I don't, not too bothered, but here is the best bit, after a couple of days recovery time I can go out and repeat that process another 2 or 3 times.

Also yes I have almost crashed my motorbike a few times getting song kranned and I have actually taken my bike for a slide going around a wet corner at Song Kran and it did scratch up a few stickers and a bit of my knee but to be fair I had had a few beers on all occasions and I have never had an issue when I am completely sober.

• Like 1

I agree with the posters that are very negative about risking getting drenched for over a week in Pattaya, silly really and it interferes with many peoples work and other things.

I also had near misses because I tries to avoid getting drenched while riding my scooter.

I think they started on Beach Road today btw, saw big 200 liter plastic drums lined up in front of the bars next to the police station at around 1030am but not yet started but saw some customers had water guns ready.

Well I will be taking the pick-up truck for the next week and only celebrate one day and only because of my kids.

• Like 2

Seems off to a slow start this year. No reports of activity yesterday. Good sign! Maybe the decline is real and the 10 days are being reduced to 9 or less. :)

And then there's the closing of Beach Rd on the 19th w/ official acknowledgement that things have gotten out of hand: "most officials took pains to point out that Pattaya’s week-long water fight has perverted the tradition of Songkran." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718170-beach-road-to-be-closed-from-8-am-to-8-pm-april-19/. Have cries been heard? From a safety perspective, this seems quite positive, though the real intent may be to play more to the Asian & Russian tourist market.

Yet the closing of Beach Rd. may just mean a lot more songkraning--if that's possible--on 2nd Rd & Soi Buakhao, not to mention 3rd Rd, as the main driving carousel just moves over one street.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds this year.

Seems off to a slow start this year. No reports of activity yesterday. .

Actually we went to central world yesterday and it had started at 1500 ish they were doing it outside the beer bars. Mainly bar girls and customers though. The general population didn't seem interested.
  • Like 1

Seems off to a slow start this year. No reports of activity yesterday. .

Actually we went to central world yesterday and it had started at 1500 ish they were doing it outside the beer bars. Mainly bar girls and customers though. The general population didn't seem interested.

So it begins. Sigh.

• Like 1