CBR 500 Oil gone

sup3r1or

Well, I guess you knew it was coming sooner or later.

Anyway you have not heard me complain for a while and I have learned to live and enjoy the bike. So, yesterday I was in Phayao (not on a bike) while in bed, I was reading you guys on a thread with CBR650F. Someone posted a link to a guys Cb500f problem in Udon. Then someone mentioned about my lemon bike lol. It ringed to me that I have never checked my oil meter. I know stupid me, new to the bikes, would not expect brand new machine to do that, also trust bigwing CM i think a bit too much.

Opened manual yesterday, found the meter came home today in CR, NOTHING there is nothing in the meter its like it is completely empty. I can see a drop of oil dark (yellowish tint) color. I tilted bike in both ways and nothing changed. TO be honest I have no idea how long I have been driving like that, last time my oil was filled at 6000km right now Iam at almost 12,000 when my service is due. I often had a feeling that bike ran "dry" but never thought it would be like this, stupid me.

Every time I wash the bike or tighten anything which happens often I do check for any leaks and there has never been any. The meter is hidden behind a plate thats why I never noticed it. Also I was hoping for any light on a dash to indicate something.

Now what are my options? Should I fill in and take it to BW CM 160km away for service? Should I just take it as it is without filling in (they might not believe or make excuses as usual)? Also they used imported synthetic oil all the time, can I just refill with a normal oil now?

Its a <deleted>... shame, I like the bike but seriously thinking about selling it or giving it back specially if this problem persists. 1800 bht in oil (depending on how often it disappears is a bit too much).

Any advice is welcomed

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

had the bike been running before you checked?

why not fill it up, check it regularly and determine if in fact there is a problem.

the bike can not be dry, running a dry engine generally has spectacular and very noticeable consequences.

what ever you do, if you suspect it is dry DO NOT ride it 160 km

Edited by HooHaa

You need to get some regular motorcycle oil 122 baht (mobil 4t) and fill it. You still need to get it serviced and let them know its losing oil as there is a recall.

If it was my bike and i had your all your issues i would be shopping for a er6n and never look back.

• Like 2

sup3r1or, sometimes i think you are kidding smile.png
Your bike has a window for checking the oil afaik. You never looked at it? By the way, do you know how to check the oil with the dip stick? Crazy question i know, but hey its you... thumbsup.gif

20140106_163550.jpg

• Like 1

When you checked was the engine off and completely cold and the bike on its bike stand?

The oil level should be checked at running temp while the bike is standing straight up (not on the stand).

First get someone to help lift it straight while you check the window, if there is oil in there start her up and wait 5+ minutes, then do it again.

Yes I have checked it after riding it for 10 minutes. Waited 5 mins as well to make sure it's okay.

The guy that had his bike in Udon never got anything fixed.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

sup3r1or, difficult to see in your picture. Seems your oil level is low. Look in your manual what oil you need and buy some oil to top it up _before_ you start your bike again. Ask a Honda shop if you are not sure. You can top up with regular oil even if you have synthetic oil in the engine.

If you have done this: How much oil was needed to bring the level up to upper middle in the window?

You need to get some regular motorcycle oil 122 baht (mobil 4t) and fill it. You still need to get it serviced and let them know its losing oil as there is a recall.

If it was my bike and i had your all your issues i would be shopping for a er6n and never look back.

yeah, you dont look back until your engine explodes or chassis get cracked on your er6n.

dont even mention the horse like stance, tractor like agricultural feeling, vibey engine and 16 kgs more weight.

also, a bike stand is needed for properly checking the oil. a guy that i know dropped his bike while trying to balance his bike for checking the oil:)

and again, i have no problems for any loss oil - 24k k km.

• Like 1

if its due for service in 160km ,i would top it up now ,then when its in for service make them aware that it seems to be losing oil ,let them service it new oil and whatever else they are supposed to do ,then check it every time you ride it if problem persists obviously back to dealer.

smile.png My goodness Sup you sure have had a rough go of it

from day one wink.png

You know looking at your pic though it does not look so bad.

Definitely not dry & actually although the pic is not great looks like your

still in operating range albeit on the low side & approaching the low level line.

Remember with these types of windows the two line represent high & low

Operating is anywhere between the two.

A properly measured oil change does not even reach half way between the two in

my experience. In fact yours is not far off what I normally see

For those that say tough to check/balance my bike is probably lighter but,

I just get down on one knee with bike on side stand

Put one hand under passenger seat strap & one on bar & tilt bike towards me.

Or you can grab the frame near air box if possible on your bike.

With the kickstand down on opposite side your not going to lose the bike in that direction

& with one knee down & a two hand grip your not going to drop the bike on yourself either

I would not use a bike stand as someone suggested. Because of course when a bike is on a lift type stand

it is no longer in operating level position so reading is wrong.

Hang in there I think your fine. Just add a bit of oil wink.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

yeah, you dont look back until your engine explodes or chassis get cracked on your er6n.

dont even mention the horse like stance, tractor like agricultural feeling, vibey engine and 16 kgs more weight.

also, a bike stand is needed for properly checking the oil. a guy that i know dropped his bike while trying to balance his bike for checking the oil:)

and again, i have no problems for any loss oil - 24k k km.

LL

I am sure if your bike had all the issues (was a lemon) he has you would probably be on your way to tokyo to chat with Mr. Honda. Sometimes i think you interpret me as anti honda and again i say i am pro honda and own a honda. I am a little anti ducati, dianese and ford but nothing is forever :/).

Sorry to the op for his problems but as he asked i would dump it as i dont beat a dead horse.

• Like 1

Sorry for the weird angle its just that oil gauge is covered by a plastic panel this is the best angle I could take picture or while my friend was holding it steady. It is 480 km until next service I just checked BUT I need to drive to Chiang Mai 180km or so, I'm afraid if I top up they wont do s...t as usual. Is oil supposed to be such dark color?

Rings my bell that first time I services oil i bought 3 cans they said 1/2 can was left and I can use it next time. When I came in on 6k service they told me to buy more as it was not enough I had to buy 3 + this 1/2 can. They also didnt change oil filter at 6k, when I got back into the shop and saw old oil filter still own and told them to change it, which they did but refused to change oil again.

Is there any way to tell if there was any damage to the engine because of that hopefully they will be able to tell, do you think putting it on a dyno again will or might show anything?

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Next time you service the bike you take the oil that is left with you so you have oil to add in case you need it. Or buy another bottle for you to take home. If you use synthetic oil you sure want to top up with synthetic.

You definetly don't make any friends if you ride your bike to service with low oil level (or maybe even below lower level). They will tell you its your fault if the engine is damaged as its your responsibility to check the oil (daily!). Look at your owner manual if you do not believe this. Checking oil level is like checking tyre pressure, even if many people neglect it.

^ yep - always makes me nervous trying to balance the bike while squatting and peering into the oil window - very easy to end up on your back with a bike on top of you facepalm.gif

I got a small mirror on the telescoping stick,that also has a ball attachment to set a proper angle ....got it from the parts store...

...can probably make one easy yourself with any small mirror,stick and some glue,or rubber bands....makes a job easier wink.png

Casual biker, no the damage was just some fairing scratches and bent handle bar no repairs were carried out on the engine. Anyway my wife just called bigwing they said they are not aware of anything like that. They said I shouldnt top it up, unless there is a real need for it (DUHHHH). Also they made a booking 15 of this month!!!!! They are full with recalls until then. Guess Iam off to the shop trying to find synthetic oil here in CR>

No need to buy sythetic. They will change the oil in two weeks anyway.

If the oil level is down there is a real need to top it up imo smile.png

I have been using Honda Genuine 4t full synthetic oil from japan since my 2nd service. Just picked up Castrol Full Synthetic 4T oil 390 bht a bottle. Will go to racing guys shop at 6 and see how much will go in there to read proper level. It should be between top and bottom line. The guy will know anyway and I will learn as well, he is very good at what he does. Used to be a manager at Yamaha CM, professional driver with loads of trophies. Will report back in the evening.

No need to buy sythetic. They will change the oil in two weeks anyway.

If the oil level is down there is a real need to top it up imo smile.png

I have been using Honda Genuine 4t full synthetic oil from japan since my 2nd service. Just picked up Castrol Full Synthetic 4T oil 390 bht a bottle. Will go to racing guys shop at 6 and see how much will go in there to read proper level. It should be between top and bottom line. The guy will know anyway and I will learn as well, he is very good at what he does. Used to be a manager at Yamaha CM, professional driver with loads of trophies. Will report back in the evening.

Get him to check for any apparent leaks.. although it looks like the engine is burning the oil. Hence the black marks and splatters.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry for a scrappy quality.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You sure it's not over full? If they put to much oil in it could be an optical illusion and you only think it is empty. The oil is a very light colour.

Cum on guys, get with the program. The best way to keep a bike upright, and do it on your own, is to hook an occy strap to a pole and the left handlebar. Hook another occy to the right handlebar then pull the bike up and then secure the right occy to a pole on the right side. Easy peasy!