Its my money - And I can do what I want with it...Nope not according to the Bank

spambot

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with all things, the rules and implementation of them vary dramatically from branch to branch. In Sukhumvit area for that particular bank you need to use the foreign remit office above branch on 33 and I have found that their rules change very regularly indeed. Usually, you can win them over with pleas to familial concerns.

p.s. you can withdraw it all and fly it abroad yourself so in that sense, yes, it is your money and you can do what you want with it.

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this given the number of in depth debates on the subject this forum has seen over the years. My surprise notwithstanding, the banks act as BOT's agent for the export of funds and as long as the customer receives an incoming remittance advice of some kind when the funds are transferred in, your ability to export the funds again is very easy.

But the above only refers to funds that are imported/exported by non-Thai's, the OP somewhat confuses matters by also setting out the circumstances under which Thai nationals may export funds, the two things should not be confused because non-Thai's are not allowed the same export criteria as nationals.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that anyone with a work permit is subject to different rules entirely hence the only ones affected by all of this are typically retirees on long stay visa's..

• Like 1

Does anyone have practical experience with cash exchange from Baht to other currencies within Thailand?

Remembe some remarks that even this might be problematic for foreigners,

(I assume this "give it to a Thai friend" goes into this direction?)

• Like 1

You can buy most currencies at major banks although many will be special orders that take time for the bank to accumulate, USD, YEN, EURO and GBP are easily obtainable however as are regional currencies. Did you have a specific currency in mind?

Edited by chiang mai

Does anyone have practical experience with cash exchange from Baht to other currencies within Thailand?

Remembe some remarks that even this might be problematic for foreigners,

(I assume this "give it to a Thai friend" goes into this direction?)

This question is a good check - Since the first thing that you think is to change to another currency before you leave, but I do believe while you can change to other currencies there is a restriction on this amount - I remember when getting USD for trip to Cambodia the Bangkok bank when buying USD said I could not buy above a certain amount, but didn't clarify if this was lack of USD in stock or Gov restriction ....Anyone know this?....And I second KhunBENQ....Does anyone have actual experience of exchanging cash Baht to another currency (of sizable amounts) - they can share their experience / knowledge.

Simply taking Baht out and exchanging at the home country - There is a restriction in the amount of baht that can be take out the country A person traveling to other countries (other than Vietnam or China) is allowed up to THB 50,000. i.e £10K / $16.5K - Not likely to cover what is in the bank that is needing repatriation.

Edited by spambot

Banks in Thailand accumulate foreign currency as and when it is brought into the country by travelers who want to exchange it for THB, that's typically the only way it arrives here. It therefore follows that the rate of accumulation is very uneven across banks and branches within a bank. Typically, if someone wanted small amounts they would trawl several banks until they found what they wanted, for larger amounts a n order needs to be placed and head office will do the trawling.

I purchased GBP 5k from HSBC Bangkok a few years ago and it took them ten days to fill the order. A similar purchase of USD from UOB last year took even longer.

I am not aware of any restrictions that exist governing the exchange of THB into any other currency in Thailand, the restriction in itself is the availability of the foreign currency - restrictions do exist to govern the electronic transfer of currency out of Thailand, as others have already noted..

• Like 2

Thanks to the OP for bringing this important issue to everyone's attention.

I've assisted retired people who have decided it's time to return to their home country ......

NancyL ... one of the unsung heros of this place.

Go girl ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I am not 100% sure but believe the reasons for tighter

currency export has its root in the 97-98 crash of Thailand.

In any case it is somewhat understandable that a country as small as this

keeps an eye on such things since it is probably not to hard to topple into

another economic crash.

Here is an older report written by a Thai

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/thai/html/financial97_98.html

That aside when ever I have wired in money I ask for a copy of the report.

Bangkok Bank is very familiar with this & provides it one day after wire is completed

( here in CM )because it comes from Bangkok

It is not hard of course after a few years to have much more in reports than savings if

your using it to live also. So if ever leaving & wanting to wire out the balance should not be a problem

Of course I keep my bank books etc. But the report is very detailed showing originating bank

thru any intermediaries such as BKB NY etc. Also times, amount etc. Basically a map of

start to finish of the transfer

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I havent read all of this thread yet, im just commenting because I wanna follow this and re-read it later

there is something really rotten with the banks all over the planet, I had similar experiences in Australia

the banks r seriously making it obvious that they dont have our money, its already disappeared into some sovereign bond in a debt riddled country most likely

Beside the desire to maintain currency controls, the I think more relevant concern is money laundering.

Basically if you've earned the money illegally, even if just earning wages without a work permit, it is subject to confiscation.

This is increasingly true all over the world, for any decent amount of money, you need to document the source of funds and demonstrate that it was earned legally and all taxes paid.

Especially true for Americans, which is why so many international banks won't deal with us anymore.

• Like 1

I meant relevant to the issue under discussion, where an ordinary expat moving out of the country may find it difficult to take their (relatively small amount of) money with them.

Nothing that would make any difference to exchange flows.

Why else demand you show sources? Or limit your outflows to a reasonable percentage of you legally earned income?

Thailand started complying with US (via FATF) pressures on these issues long ago and following the "guidelines" more diligently has now earned its removal from the international banking blacklist.

It's not exactly voluntary is it. . .

The case the OP discusses seems to be where the money was originally transferred from one's own bank account abroad to one's own bank account in Thailand, and paperwork still exists to support this fact. In that situation, it may be possible to transfer up to that amount back to one's own account abroad, whether all at once or in installments, as discussed.

However, for all other situations, I was under the impression that it is impossible to transfer any money abroad, whether to one's own account or not.

Am I wrong?

• Like 1

Not sure if my post would be relevant but i have opened foreign banks transfer(sorry do not recall the proper name used)

Basically i had to provide a few of documents to have this service approved.

WP, Passport and a form.

Once it was approved, i am able to do internet transfer from Thai Bank to overseas and vice versa.

From Thai Bank to overseas 1 000 000 baht daily limit

In both cases money arrives at its destination within 24 hours.

• Like 1

The case the OP discusses seems to be where the money was originally transferred from one's own bank account abroad to one's own bank account in Thailand, and paperwork still exists to support this fact. In that situation, it may be possible to transfer up to that amount back to one's own account abroad, whether all at once or in installments, as discussed.

However, for all other situations, I was under the impression that it is impossible to transfer any money abroad, whether to one's own account or not.

Am I wrong?

Yes, if I understand your post that would be completely nuts.

Many expats earning good salaries working legally here need to send a significant portion of their income back home to cover expenses like mortgage payments and maintenance on property, supporting their parents, repayment of loans, savings plans, tuition etc.

There is no problem with this as long as the numbers make sense, but you do need to ask permission and provide documentation as requested to back up your explanation.

As well of course as being able to repatriate any funds that were previously brought in from outside the country, as long as you kept the paperwork.

It only those sending large sums out that don't have a reasonable explanation as to where they came from that would have a problem.

Not sure if my post would be relevant but i have opened foreign banks transfer(sorry do not recall the proper name used)

Basically i had to provide a few of documents to have this service approved.

WP, Passport and a form.

Once it was approved, i am able to do internet transfer from Thai Bank to overseas and vice versa.

From Thai Bank to overseas 1 000 000 baht daily limit

In both cases money arrives at its destination within 24 hours.

As stated earlier, the case of work permit holders is different from holders of retirement visa's.

Simply taking Baht out and exchanging at the home country - There is a restriction in the amount of baht that can be take out the country A person traveling to other countries (other than Vietnam or China) is allowed up to THB 50,000. i.e £10K / $16.5K - Not likely to cover what is in the bank that is needing repatriation.

It's 50k baht out of Thailand but that is only one thousand pounds UK, you are allowed up to 10k euro cash going back into uk that's about 7.4k uk pounds. If you change it at superrich they have a limit of 150k baht change at one time, so you would have to go at least twice to change the maximum

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

sms747

Thanks sms747 - Yes you are right what a howler I made - I absolute can not do the maths - And you are absolutely right it is £1k / $1.6k (US)...So the limit is even worse than I calculated and as you rightly pointed out if you can get the conversion from Baht you get a better limit of 10K Euros https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk.

SuperRich conversions - There has been a number of other people talking about this company and I am not familiar with their ability to get large amounts changed from Baht to other currency - "Chaing mai" posted here that when he tried to get 5K GBP and it took a long time to get the funds together from the different banks even for this modest amount - So I suppose that you are saying that SuperRich can do the bigger amounts .....yes? - If so good to know so this can be seen as a resource to increase the £1k Baht limit to the higher 10K Euros limitation and still stay legal. Good call!

I have only changed small amounts at superich but remember them saying 150k was the limit, you could always phone and ask superrich1965.com, There is another company also called superich but this is the original one. My SIL works at a bank at gets good rates, but superrich were still better.

Edited by sms747

Not sure if this is a problem now, as Thai banks seemed to have moved into a bit more

normal international banking. Sitting at home, I can log into my Bangkok Bank account,

and with a few button pushes easily send a wire to my account in America. No scenes

at the bank pleading for your money...... Not sure of the upper limits, last time I did a wire

transfer think it was about 3000 dollars..

• Like 1