Phuket Airport to Similan Islands

isawasnake

I am going from the airport in Phuket and want to first head out to the Similan islands the day after I land. I would like to stay in Khao Lak that night, book a tour, and go to the islands the net day.

Question: how can I cheaply get from Phuket airport to Khao Lak? I am hoping for minivan transport, although a bus may do but I think I'd really rather have a minivan. Any info on where to catch a minivan, and how much it would cost?

Thanks!

Have you tried asking your hotel? They might have some good options for you. You might have better luck with this over in the Phuket forum, so let's move this topic over there.

Have a fantastic trip!

I did ask the hotel, they wanted a little too much I thought for transport.

I would be surprised if there are no minivans at the airport, but if they are in fact there, I am sure I can find one. If not, i'll figure something out.

Thanks for the help.

Don't know if there are minibuses to Khao Lak at the airport.

Best option would probably be to make your way to the main road, and catch the bus to Khao lak from there.

Definitely no minivan from the airport to Khao Lak, also no bus. Follow the suggestion above, or take a taxi from the airport, should set you back about 1200 Baht

By the way consider going to the Surin islands instead of to the hopelessly overcrowded Similans,

Edited by keestha

I just got back from the trip, and although it was nice this issue I raised about transport was one of the sore points for me. It costs so much for transport down south, I suppose it is just one of those things you must get used to.

The question I had for next time, are there no metered taxis from the airport to various locations down there? The 70km trip would be I suppose 4 or 500 baht in a taxi, yet they want upwards of 1500 (3 times taxi rate is really pushing it imo). My trip is over, so I wont fret too much, but it just seems to be a whole different world down there when it comes to transport.

Edited by isawasnake