UK expats soon to be denied free healthcare in the UK

longballlarry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-204961/UK-expats-fall-victim-health-tourism.html

But if you've got HIV, you could be OK. Lovely stuff.

UK expats fall victim to health tourism

Expatriate Britons have been caught up in a major crackdown on ' health tourists' announced by the Government yesterday.

Under new restrictions, people who fly to Britain to exploit the NHS will be denied free care.

The ban preventing visitors and failed asylum seekers from milking the system is likely to come into force by next April.

Health Minister John Hutton warned that health tourism was a 'significant' problem and swift action was needed to safeguard the NHS for taxpayers.

The new rules may lead to all patients being asked for proof of residence, such as a passport or electricity bill.

However, pensioners from the UK who live abroad for more than half the year will be denied free treatment.

No matter how much they have paid in tax and National Insurance over the years, such expatriates will now have to pay for NHS care back in Britain.

Only treatment for emergencies - such as heart attacks, accidents or sudden illness - will still be free.

The move will hit thousands who have retired to the Spanish costas, France or other European countries.

Under existing rules, pensioners are only supposed to spend up to three months abroad to qualify for free NHS care. But officials did not vigorously apply this rule.

Under the 'health tourism' clampdown, thousands of expat pensioners will find themselves being quizzed on their eligibility.

The Department of Health said it had made one concession - that pensioners who return to the UK 'to spend their final years' will still be eligible for free care.

But pensioners who spend more than three months outside the EU - in countries such as Canada, America or Australia - will find they become ineligible.

Overall, the proposed law changes will mean that, unless people from overseas meet strict eligibility criteria, they will be able to receive only emergency care.

Typical cases of 'health tourism' include foreigners coming to the UK on a business trip only to turn up at an NHS hospital demanding treatment for a long- standing problem such as kidney failure.

Pregnant women from overseas also fly in shortly before giving birth. Failed asylum seekers and illegal immigrants will be stopped from receiving free treatment for conditions which arise after their legal status has been determined.

The rule allowing anyone living in the UK for 12 months to get free treatment, regardless of immigration status, will no longer apply.

However, there is already concern about how the crackdown will work in practice. Failed asylum seekers and illegal immigrants with infectious diseases including TB, rabies, measles or smallpox will be given free treatment.

But the Health Department admitted yesterday that the policy for HIV and Aids sufferers had still to be fully worked out.

The NHS faces a soaring drugs and treatment bill for HIV cases, up to a third of which are thought to come from overseas. Under the plans, HIV 'health tourists' will be refused the right to start a 'new course of treatment'.

But ministers have yet to decide exactly what this means for HIV sufferers, as they are constantly on drugs costing up to £15,000 a year.

Doctors may be expected to tell patients they cannot be treated with drugs which would keep them alive longer.

Mr Hutton said it would fall to NHS managers to make sure people qualified for free treatment and not doctors and nurses.

But there are fears that A&E departments would be swamped by migrants desperate for nonemergency care but unable to get it elsewhere.

• Like 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you show your passport and answer all the "quiz" questions correctly then you should be fine.

Depends whether they look at your passport to check for the amount of time spent out of the country.

At least they appear to be allowing heart attacks etc now - previously all treatment was believed to be chargeable.

It's rather funny that I get treatment in UK. And I'm from Sweden. But UK people don't get it if staying abroad.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's hilarious Lars.

That is Swedish humour is it ??

wink.pngwink.png

• Like 1

Just like other countries you leave your home country for more than 6 months you get nothing England is just moving with the times at last.

Time for you all here to get your heath Insurance before you fall though the cracks

I paid into mine for almost 40 years - it was called the NHS.

Nobody told me as I made each of those 475 payments that I would ineligible for treatment if I chose to live in Thailand.

Unfortunately the government will be punishing people like you, people seen by them as an easy touch. This all as a result of their implemented policies, that have allowed p1ss takers and immigrants to drain the the pot dry.

To be fair 'uptheos' has got it spot on.

Should the need arise, and I was able to travel, I would be straight into A&E.

To those that may be able to help - I am actively looking ATM for a health policy that will cover me worldwide, ideally as long as I live but at least into my 80's - I am currently in my early 50's. So long-term stability and honouring contracts.

It must cover the US, UK & Europe, as I said worldwide, traveling or resident.

Ideally also my kids with the same company, both under ten.

Willing to pay in the neighborhood of USD $1,000 p.m., and realize that will go up, hopefully in a step-wise predictable fashion. High deductible, major-issues only is OK but must have a very high top limit.

Not looking for "investment" component, accept if I stop paying premiums I lose all benefits probably can't re-enroll.

Constructive suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, please refrain from personal attacks on this issue.

To those that may be able to help - I am actively looking ATM for a health policy that will cover me worldwide, ideally as long as I live but at least into my 80's - I am currently in my early 50's. So long-term stability and honouring contracts.

Willing to pay in the neighborhood of USD $1,000 p.m., and realize that will go up, hopefully in a step-wise predictable fashion. High deductible, major-issues only is OK but must have a very high top limit.

Not looking for "investment" component, accept if I stop paying premiums I lose all benefits probably can't re-enroll.

Constructive suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, please refrain from personal attacks on this issue.

You can get a decent policy for USD 300-400/m go and look at BUPA, your problem with the worldwide coverage will be coverage in the US, my policy is worldwide but excludes the US, but guessing they will cover you for additional cost

I have a CIGNA expat policy that covers just about everything, everywhere. They pay 80% I pay 20% up to $2,500 a year max for the family.

They cover all preventative 100%

I'd prefer not to buy from a Thai company but in a jurisdiction with good consumer-oriented regulation of such insurance.

And for US coverage, USD 2-3 million per year would not be a high maximum, a catastrophic event can hit that easy.

Not interested in routine preventative care, a USD 20,000 deductible would be OK.

Edited by wym

I'd prefer not to buy from a Thai company but in a jurisdiction with good consumer-oriented regulation of such insurance.

And for US coverage, USD 2-3 million per year would not be a high maximum, a catastrophic event can hit that easy.

Not interested in routine preventative care, a USD 20,000 deductible would be OK.

BUPA is not Thai, its a UK based company

OK, if you think they'll have something that fits my stated specs, I should try to contact them in London?

OK, if you think they'll have something that fits my stated specs, I should try to contact them in London?

Can contact them in the UK or Thailand

It started out as the British United Providence Association.

Passports do get lost you know and should yours accidentally get lost just report it to the police, though you'll need to get a replacement. Make sure you have visa copies of your lost passport tucked away safely at home in case you are returning to Thailand at some point, not for prying eyes.

In spite of their apparent incompetence, the UKBA does in fact electronically track UK passports holders as they leave and re-enter the UK. At some point they will surely be passing all this information on to other agencies like HMRC and any of the pensions/social security/national insurance/health agencies that dont already share data with HMRC.

Of course anyone with a non-UK passport to leave and re-enter on wont be having much trouble with that (though they may have trouble trying to prove to HMRC that they are non-resident for their tax return and NI contributions).

Can contact them in the UK or Thailand

But if I buy from the Thai company - a legally separate company, may be wholly owned by the UK parent, but I thought it also uses the Blue Cross/Blue Shield brand? - then my policy will be "protected" by the regulations of that jurisdiction, right?

I imagine the UK regulatory environment is better, certainly more predictable for a 40+ year time window. . .

I have a CIGNA expat policy that covers just about everything, everywhere. They pay 80% I pay 20% up to $2,500 a year max for the family.

They cover all preventative 100%

Hi can you provide me any details of the CIGNA policy, I only ask because I already have one of the top cover policies they provide worldwide through my employer and they are really efficient and I can only praise them as whenever i have needed them they have been there. This included chartering a private jet to medivac me from Angola to South Africa 2 years ago.

The reason I ask is i was told they dont provide cover to individuals only companies and I would be interested in extending the coverage to my family but this is not an option through my employer.

This is truly an outrageous act. Ironically in this case they should just pay the submitted invoices from overseas as they would be cheaper.

It certainly is. Posting an article that's at least 9 years old and implying that it's current is outrageous by anyone's standards.

• Like 1

We will have the last laugh Britain.

I love the part about, "pensioners coming to spend their final years in Britain will still be eligible for free healthcare"....awwww, such a touching sentiment.

Who would want to spend their final years in Britain anyway. Impending death + NHS + misery or Impending death + feeling twenty-five again + smile on face.

On a more positive note, i am much less likely to get a lifestyle related disease here in Thailand than that sinking ship anyway. And the amount of money i save here on year-to-year life, my BUPA health cover is a bargain with far better hospitals and more attractive nurses biggrin.png

You can keep it Britain.coffee1.gif

Edited by Water Buffalo