Supreme Court sentences Yongyut's wife five years in prison

webfact

Supreme Court sentences Yongyut’s wife five years in prison

salakcharid-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court today sentenced the wife of former minister of natural resources and environment Yongyut Tiyapairat in the Thaksin government to five years in prison after finding her guilty of giving false information in connection with a local administration assembly election in Chiang Rai province in 2006.

The court said in its ruling today that Mrs Salakcharid Tiyapairat, now the president of Chiang Rai provincial council, provided false information during the registration of candidacy in the provincial assembly election in Chiang Rai.

It then handed down five-year imprisonment verdict on her.

But with regard to her past good deeds, the court commuted the sentence by half to two years and six months in prison instead.

However, she was given a two-year probation for the prison term.

She was also banned from running in election and engaged in political activities for 10 years, and a fine of 50,000 baht.

Earlier in 2009, Yongyut was also sentenced to serve two months in prison and a five-year ban on politics for covering up and failing to declare his asset to the National Anti Corruption Commission. However, his two-month prison term was commuted to one year probation instead.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/supreme-court-sentences-yongyuts-wife-five-years-prison/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-12

• Like 1

Surely it is exactly these kind of people who should be banned from any political activity for life. The laughable sentences dealt by the courts are only exceeded in comedic effect by everyone knowing that no prison time will be served at all.

Known as "drawing the tiger", this ridiculous Thai custom does not work to prevent crime, rather it encourages corruption.

the judge(s) were/are very kind to her ! she got XX million baht benefits just for 50,000 baht fine, less than the TAX % we pay.

and such criminal offensive, lift for probation term ?

Why do I see this time after time , the 10 year ban on being in politics should be life , and a no employment in the public service, this then sends a strong message to anyone who thinks they can act in a corrupt manner to think twice.bah.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So in the 2 sentences she received a total of 3 years probation, and a 50,000 baht fine.

NOT 15 years total prison ---- because of her good deeds. Looks like bad deeds to me.---what has she suffered ??? no politics for 10 years.

No politics for 10 years - not a problem, just sit on the side of the meetings and give hand signals, or Skype is even easier, just work from home.

And we foreigners coming here spending near all our money and paying tax. We are equally as bad as her or even more bad, as we have to attend every 90 days, over a lifetime, not probation for 3 years. JOKE. Just shows you what they think of us.

You don't have to attend anywhere every 90 days. You can report by post. Apply for permanent residency and you don't have to report at all. You are talking crap.

many Thai women are becoming corrupt these days -- farang beware and remember longtime has longtime dangers as they try to suck your dollar

More xenophobic and misogynist nonsense.

With an attitude like yours I'm not surprised that someone would want to cheat you. I'm already thinking of ways to get your money based on your stupid comment.

So it takes seven years, to come to a verdict? And it is not five years! prison. The whole country is a joke.

There are worse places. in UK & USA you can get locked up for years without even being charge for any crime and without being told what you're supposed to have done wrong. That is much more scary that a slow justice system.

Something tells me Thaksin's propaganda war against the so-called "Amarts" was not intended to cull one of his most trusted cronies with its first scalping. She must be even more irked that to please El Jefe, her husband led a mob of goons to pepper a poor old couple's house with bullets and didn't even get a slapped wrist!

And we foreigners coming here spending near all our money and paying tax. We are equally as bad as her or even more bad, as we have to attend every 90 days, over a lifetime, not probation for 3 years. JOKE. Just shows you what they think of us.

You don't have to attend anywhere every 90 days. You can report by post. Apply for permanent residency and you don't have to report at all. You are talking crap.

Better stop your bad mouth and be friendly, I am talking about the majority, that actually do. O visa---tourist triple entry----not only YOURS.

You think we are all stupid, I am aware after 33 years here --by post--perm residency, SURE. there are other people in the land that have other visa's.

retirement and O visa's are the norm for people living here, but 60% are on tourist visa's etc.

Quit the crap talk, we are all here to be friendly I hope.

• Like 2