Brand new WHITE CAR under the SUN for years, would it TURN YELLOW ? Any experience ?

I grew up with a white car, in San Diego, CA. After ten years, with original paint, there was wear and tear, but no yellowing.

I don't think my dad ever waxed it, and rarely washed it. it was the "utility' station wagon.

No idea with paint now a day....

Years ago in the south of Portugal, had a red car and 2 silver cars, the red one went dull orange, but some elbow power and T-cut would bring it back to shining gloss and bright red on my BMW Tti.

both silver cars did not fair as well, the lacquer lifted on both cars... cars 2.3 Ford Capri Ghia, and Citroen DS23., re-sprayed the DS myself and later drove it to UK, sold for many times more than would have got selling in Portugal. Friend had 2 red cars both the same would go dull and orange but T-cut would bring them back, cars Citroen 2CV and a Renault 4, they also had a grey Opal the lacquer lifted..

Again NOT Brand New, but notice here people appear to have a re-spray when there cars get dull.

Edit: Do new cars have a paint warranty ? think you get a warranty if they put some coating on. you pay extra for

Edited by ignis

I apply a thin coat of a high quality PDF 50 sunblock to my white car every 30 days.

No - seriously, look around; do you see any white cars in Thailand that have turned yellow?

Also, with tinted windows your interior will be just fine.

• Like 1

I apply a thin coat of a high quality PDF 50 sunblock to my white car every 30 days.

No - seriously, look around; do you see any white cars in Thailand that have turned yellow?

Also, with tinted windows your interior will be just fine.

Seen a few yellow cars in Pattaya - maybe they used to be white lol

Have had white cars for the last 6 years. All still white.

• Like 1

Barely related to the topic, but don't park your convertible under the landing path at LAX unless you want to replace the top after just a few weeks. Ask me how I know that.

Keep wax on the white car and the paint will oxidize much slower since oxygen can't get to it through the wax. Like other posters, I'd worry more about the interior.

Without any treatment the paint will still stay white but after a few years the laquer over the white paint will go opaque leaving big dull areas.

Plastic trim on the outside will grey and rubber seals around the windows will harden and crack.

The dash and tops of seat inside that are in constant sunlight will fade and crack. Hard steering wheels can also harden and crack. Softer steering wheels tend to turn to a sandy texture and easily rub away with use.

• Like 1

Frivolous topic if I ever seen one.....

And a frivolous answer following it. The OP may be looking at buying a new white car since white for the last 2-3 years has been such a common color and plans on keeping it for a long time. Valid question IMO.

My wife's car is white and around 16+ years and most of the time in the sun or under a shade tree if available. It is still very white though a bit dull/flat now and a few chips.

• Like 2

Have Tints put on your windows to protect the Interior, Wax polish it every 4 months or so, ensure good quality polish though. Fit a carpet type mat on the top of the dashboard.

Good quality window tinting protects the interior, and apply good quality protector to the interior once a month, including the dash board. My dash is still perfect after 10 years, though I noticed fading in other cars that obviously applied nothing to their dash boards.

I doubt white will fad here, given modern paint quality and clear coats applied. Painting a car is cheap here, and one can always get a wrap done to protect the paintwork.

Frivolous topic if I ever seen one.....

Still beats a lot of the topics that inevitably end up with winkie size competitions.

Waiting now for the white/yellow angle to turn into political analogy. I've got Post #36 in the pool.

Have Tints put on your windows to protect the Interior, Wax polish it every 4 months or so, ensure good quality polish though. Fit a carpet type mat on the top of the dashboard.

I have the mat,but the velcro holding it lasted 5 minutes.Slides off constantly,had the 7/11 yellow street directory on top to hold it in place and that turned white.Any suggestions to hold the mat on.Super glue last resort!

I think there are bigger problems to talk about, but I do not know where you liver in Thailand? Could just be the mud from Issan?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

kilosierra

I thought this forum was not restricted to just "bigger problems". What is a "bigger problem" and who decides that? Mud slinging is low class, regardless of where you "liver". :)

We have many white vehicles at work that have sat unprotected outdoors for a few years with zero care given. the interiors are ok and the paint has not yellowed.

Very True, but wont go down well with some here. Ive found just the same over the years.

Your car shuld be fine. The finish will not turn yellow if the paint work was factory applied. I have had a white car in California for years and the paint work has never fadded or turned yellow. HOWEVER... if the car has a external spare tire cover (usually fiberglass or plastic) painted to match the car... then it might turn yellow or at least discolor to a certain extent. It is made from a different material and so is painted in a different chemical paint formula than the car's body work. This MIGHT also impact on the plastic moldings on the car itself sometimes. So, if it you think that the there is a problem with the paint work... and the car is new... it will be covered under the warranty so get it back to the dealer. If it is not covered due to the cars actual age... then take it to a body shop and explain the situation and they should be able to apply a top coat (new clear coat) that will fed off the sun's UV light.

I had the spare tires cover on my Panjero (Montero in the US) replaced 4 separate times (for free every time as I complained bitterly... I hate Mitsubishi) due to the sun turning it a light shade of yellow. Finally I just changed the dam color to black... lol.

• Like 1

The tropical sun's heat and UV are brutal to car paint.

I've never had problems with it in moderate climate in Europe.

The paint on my pickup is so bad , looking at it could scratch it. For the original paint as well as some respaying.

Color differences are visible , because of how I park, and the same parts get more exposed to the sun.

Drying rain on a hot car , or washing the car in the sun , leaves marks. Even the glass of the windshield get burned in by rainwater dried up on the hot glass. Nearly impossible to get out.

On white you can see anything. If you have that typical orange mud on your paint , wash it off. The mud can get into the paint and it will go to beige.

Waxing will help it , but don't expect a very thin layer to protect you from damage.

• Like 1