Hong Kong visa run/holiday trip, need advices from people who knows HK well. (Good area to stay)

mataleo

Hi, I got visa run in may, I decided to go to Hong Kong with gf, instead taking van trip to cambodian border.

I was looking for nice destinations, and flight price was deciding factor

HK air asia 6000THB return 1 person

for example Japan was 23000+THB per

And i heard from people HK is quite nice, and some says its best around...

I would like some info from fellow travelers who been there and know it a bit.

First at all I want know some area good for stay, like in city center or something close to shops malls, may b harbor or beach, so I can look for hotel on booking.com in that area...

I got trip advisor for look atractions, so thats should be ok, I see they got Disnayland, any good?

What would you recommend to see, where to shop?

Food?

Beach?

any good Clubs/bars?

Keep in mind I am not really want to stay in expensive posh area or hotel, just normal, medium standart...

They got HK $

Is it chinese remimbi accepted?

They exchange thai bath?

Should I order HK $ in thailand?

Any info/help welcome

Thx, and sorry for gramma, not english native...

Check out the Emirates airfare to Hong Kong . It can be cheap sometimes and you travel on a A380, meals 30kg bag allowance and a big seatback TV with lots good movies. Best to stay central. I like the Kowloon area. Tsim sar tuk close to the harbor waterfront area or move up to Jordan, Yau Mautai area. All kinds of accommodations and prices. Best to change your Monty over there. No problem with thai baht. The best rates are in Chungking Mansions at the back of the ground floor. Not on the street front, wander around the back a bit and there's many Indian money changers.

• Like 1

From google ppl reviews Tsim Sha Tsui looks like its most popular, so I will go with that.

Thx for moneys advice

Is it HK expensive in general?

How it compares to Japan Singapore and S. Korea?

mataleo

I was going to visit Disney World myself, but from what I have read, it is geared very much towards little kids. Most people seem to prefer Ocean Park, so bear that in mind. I am going to Hong Hong again in a few weeks, with some friends who want to visit the massive bronze Buddah and do some shopping.

Another option you may like, is to fly to Macau first? HK is only 45 minutes away by ferry (Approx. 500 baht)

• Like 1

i always stay in this hotel

very central right close walking distance from shopping, night life area and real close to the Embassy (again just a short walk through the gardens).

real nice location right next to the botanical gardens.

very close to the airport express railway station where you have connections all around to the metro.

http://www.agoda.com/the-garden-view-ywca-hotel/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html?type=1&site_id=1410046&url=http://www.agoda.com/the-garden-view-ywca-hotel/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html&tag=1b914554-eda8-4b85-b3e1-74134b06dcf5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=garden%2bview%2bywca%2bhotel%2bcentral&utm_content=the%2bgarden%2bview%2b%E2%80%93%2bywca%2bhotel_69223&utm_campaign=hotel_hong%2bkong&cklg=1

• Like 2

i always stay in this hotel

very central right close walking distance from shopping, night life area and real close to the Embassy (again just a short walk through the gardens).

real nice location right next to the botanical gardens.

very close to the airport express railway station where you have connections all around to the metro.

http://www.agoda.com/the-garden-view-ywca-hotel/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html?type=1&site_id=1410046&url=http://www.agoda.com/the-garden-view-ywca-hotel/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html&tag=1b914554-eda8-4b85-b3e1-74134b06dcf5&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=garden%2bview%2bywca%2bhotel%2bcentral&utm_content=the%2bgarden%2bview%2b%E2%80%93%2bywca%2bhotel_69223&utm_campaign=hotel_hong%2bkong&cklg=1

3500 night bit over my budget i go for 5 nights so would love find something around 10000thb for 5n.

I like that area tsin sha tin

Theres many cheap ones but bad reviews and its like big mansions buildings and got many hostels and residents people complain about 1 small lift no room windows no locks in doors etc..

So trying fimd something that mansion in that area...

Thx anyway

mataleo

I was going to visit Disney World myself, but from what I have read, it is geared very much towards little kids. Most people seem to prefer Ocean Park, so bear that in mind. I am going to Hong Hong again in a few weeks, with some friends who want to visit the massive bronze Buddah and do some shopping.

Another option you may like, is to fly to Macau first? HK is only 45 minutes away by ferry (Approx. 500 baht)

Disney was in my mind but i readed too on trip advisor ppl comments says for kids..

I will look on ocean world instead thx

mataleo

Recently did a trip there. We used a travel agent to book flights and 3 star hotel package. It worked out cheaper than booking everything ourselves.

The hotel was on Nathan Road Kowloon and a a couple hundred metres from the jetty to Hongkong island. The Tsim Sha Tsui subway was under a shopping centre just across the street.

Travel on the subway is easy and quick. I would recommend an open top bus ride when you first get there as you get a layout of places to see. You can get on and off at places you want to explore along the way. After that the subway is easy to use.

I'm sure your GF will like Disneyland. Ladies market is worth a visit too.

• Like 1

Recently did a trip there. We used a travel agent to book flights and 3 star hotel package. It worked out cheaper than booking everything ourselves.

The hotel was on Nathan Road Kowloon and a a couple hundred metres from the jetty to Hongkong island. The Tsim Sha Tsui subway was under a shopping centre just across the street.

Travel on the subway is easy and quick. I would recommend an open top bus ride when you first get there as you get a layout of places to see. You can get on and off at places you want to explore along the way. After that the subway is easy to use.

I'm sure your GF will like Disneyland. Ladies market is worth a visit too.

Remember hotel name?

mataleo

Mirador mansions is a building with many guest houses and cheap hotels. It also has many lifts. The bad one is chunking mansions nearby which has few lifts a long queues to use them. It is good place for money changers though. If your not spending much the rooms will always be small like Tokyo or New York.

• Like 1

Mirador mansions is a building with many guest houses and cheap hotels. It also has many lifts. The bad one is chunking mansions nearby which has few lifts a long queues to use them. It is good place for money changers though. If your not spending much the rooms will always be small like Tokyo or New York.

Thx for info

When i was reading review s on booking.com i noticed almost every hotel got this 2 mansions as part of name or adress i couldn't get it tooks me a while..

Ok i will have look on Mirador ones..

Thx

mataleo

The airfare is not the problem - the hotels are generally very expensive.

The cheap ones are very very small rooms in cramped mansions.

I live across the border in Shenzhen at the moment. If it wasn't for the Chinese visa I'd say stay in Shenzhen. The hotels are more like Thai prices.

Hong Kong is generally expensive - but like everywhere, if you wanna live on 7/11 meatballs you will not starve.

Dim sum restaurants are the best, but not as cheap as Thailand.

I recommend Guangzhou personally. But there again Hong Kong has it's own charms.

Air fare is the same, hotel is much much cheaper, and they're very friendly at the Thai consulate.

Disneyland is small but fun.

I recommend getting the boat across to Mui Wo on Lantau (hotels on the islands are cheaper and more relaxed), and take the local bus up and down the island.

• Like 1

Check out the Thursday edition of the BANGKOK POST; Travel section. You will find many ads for 2 and 3 night packages including hotel and airfare. Keep in mind the pricing is "Per Person, minimum 2 persons" and the hotels listed for the advertised price are usually 2nd rate, however they will usually have hotel upgrades available.

I've used these package deals for short trips to HK, Singapore and KL and have found them to be a very good deal as long as you do your homework checking out the accommodations.

I've lived in Hong Kong for a number of years and go back frequently. In the last few years I've stayed at these hotels and can recommend them:

http://www.agoda.com/dorsett-kwun-tong-hong-kong/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html?asq=jGXBHFvRg5Z51Emf%2fbXG4w%3d%3d

http://www.agoda.com/regal-oriental-hotel/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html?asq=jGXBHFvRg5Z51Emf%2fbXG4w%3d%3d

There is also the Regal Kowloon which I was planning to stay at last trip until a friend offered me a room:

http://www.agoda.com/regal-kowloon-hotel/hotel/hong-kong-hk.html?asq=FSL8LtfVWYVCqmbu2RMRYcMaZdV41B9W9uU59vrpkH2flcToxSERD8XV6tVnCsKRuLRIeSJ5zEFwgWMIdvgURKaTtJX9BVHHpmddZdXnq7qXLHd8g7osqeHwW37qjSdwHgR7dpMFfNwzeCFuyH1unNIAtudDLNpopwCy6%2b72tzGeDvcsX2Qc1JAy7wZPeNVv6gJmmqEQoVZ5543XbR7YRw4iQu6%2fCmIYQ7FCQJiNgJ4%3d&tyra=1%7c1

Public transport is first class and fast so generally you will be less than 30 minutes from the main hubs wherever you stay (provided it's not up near the border with China).

I wouldn't bother with holiday flats because of the short time you will be staying (it is primarily a visa run you are doing?).

Best to bring HK$ or US$ than THB$.

Lots of action in Lan Kwai Fong and Soho (both up the hill from Central MTR station) and around Tsim Sha Tsui like Canton Road, Hart Avenue, Kimberley Road.

Market stall shopping can be found in Temple Street next to Jordan MTR station, Ladies market near Mong Kok MTR, Ap Liu Street market near Shamshuipo MTR and Stanley Markets in Stanley (south side of HK island).

Shopping mall shopping at Festival Walk at Kowloon Tong MTR, APM mall at Kwun Tong MTR and Pacific Place at Admiralty MTR.

Street shopping at Causeway Bay (take your face mask), Tsim Sha Tsui, Central ...

Ask if there is anything else I missed.

AirBnB is ok but I found the advertisers/landlords in Hong Kong rarely replied and if they did it was a day or two later. I had much better success with AirBnB apartments in Phuket. Very keen and friendly.

Hi Mataleo,

Having lived in HK for many years, I would advise finding somewhere on the HK Island side...Central, Wanchai, Causeway Bay. If you're on the Kowloon side, remember that the MTR stops at midnight which may limit your social activities on the island side - it will cost over HK$120 for a taxi back to Kowloon. Take US or HK currency..... some shops and hotels do accept RMB - if you have THB, there is a Bangkok Bank Branch in Central for conversion at reasonable rates.

Really depends what you want to do socially - Lang Kwai Fong in Central has many bars and restaurants - good fun. Wanchai also has many bars and good live music....and lots of girls (maybe your gf won't be too impressed!)- but you will have a good time! Markets are mainly on the Kowloon side, there is also the Stanley Market on the south side of the island - take a bus, a really good ride. Go to the peak as well on the Peak Tram - do that during the week, not the weekend as its too crowded. Disneyland ok, Ocean Park better. Taxis are really good and relatively cheap.

Have fun!

you missed his budget.

3500 night bit over my budget i go for 5 nights so would love find something around 10000thb for 5n.

I have used Air bnb three times in HK, no problems. various prices and of course locations and sizes all add up to the cost.

Im rising room budget to 15000thb for 5 days...

Thx for that air bnb i like one or too studios there i will try book it

mataleo

Hi Mataleo,

Having lived in HK for many years, I would advise finding somewhere on the HK Island side...Central, Wanchai, Causeway Bay. If you're on the Kowloon side, remember that the MTR stops at midnight which may limit your social activities on the island side - it will cost over HK$120 for a taxi back to Kowloon. Take US or HK currency..... some shops and hotels do accept RMB - if you have THB, there is a Bangkok Bank Branch in Central for conversion at reasonable rates.

Really depends what you want to do socially - Lang Kwai Fong in Central has many bars and restaurants - good fun. Wanchai also has many bars and good live music....and lots of girls (maybe your gf won't be too impressed!)- but you will have a good time! Markets are mainly on the Kowloon side, there is also the Stanley Market on the south side of the island - take a bus, a really good ride. Go to the peak as well on the Peak Tram - do that during the week, not the weekend as its too crowded. Disneyland ok, Ocean Park better. Taxis are really good and relatively cheap.

Have fun!

Is it ok staying in Tsim tsa shui?

Im thinking about that area

mataleo

Hi Mataleo,

Have fun!

Is it ok staying in Tsim tsa shui?

Im thinking about that area

mataleo

Yes - Tsim Sha Tsui (or TST as the locals call it) is fine....just across the harbor from Central and a good place to see the 8pm light show over Central. Hotels there are getting more expensive and are, in my opinion, pretty much the same as those on the island side. Good shopping area down Canton Road - all the global big brands are there, and many tailors for suits etc in a couple of days (you will find them, or they will find you, around the TST Star Ferry terminal). Huge shopping complex along Canton Road as well....many restaurants (even some Thai) with great variety. Forget the beaches unless you go out to the islands - Lantau, Peng Chau, Cheng Chau... big Buddha on Lantau is worth the visit...you can get a cablecar up there from Tung Chung which is close to the airport (at the end of one of the MTR lines - easy to find). If you use the MTR a lot (you probably will) ask for a daily ticket at the info desk in any MTR station - tell them what you want to do and they will sell you a daily or 2-3 day pass - way cheaper! Hotel staff are normally really good with helpful information....and they will write place names in Chinese for you so you can show to the taxi driver - very useful as many don't speak English. Its a great city... you will enjoy it!