Why do people act like Thai girls don't have hearts too?

Scarpolo

i would suggest most foreigners view/experience of thai women is limited to the girls they date whom may or may not be bar girls, may or may not have a decent job and education and may or may not have a good command of english.

how many foreigners take the time to have female friends here? meet and communicate with thai's female or male who are educated and can speak decent english. make the effort and you'll find about and understand a lot more about thailand and thai culture and yes, about thai women.

What did they tell you....about thai women ?

So, sam sen, you imply that in order to learn more about Thai culture and Thai women, foreigners will need to find a Thai girl that speaks English? To me, that's ridiculous. You want to get to know a culture, YOU learn THEIR language. It's that simple.

Look to your home country; if you meet someone having been there for years, you'd have to wonder why the hell they've been there for so long without learning the language. You'd claim they're not interested in being integrated into the society etc. But hey, coming to Thailand, we're such quality additions to their society that those rules don't apply to us, right?

The perception of ignorance is often a two way street.

Edited by Sirbergan
  • Like 2

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would suggest most foreigners view/experience of thai women is limited to the girls they date whom may or may not be bar girls, may or may not have a decent job and education and may or may not have a good command of english.

how many foreigners take the time to have female friends here? meet and communicate with thai's female or male who are educated and can speak decent english. make the effort and you'll find about and understand a lot more about thailand and thai culture and yes, about thai women.

So, sam sen, you imply that in order to learn more about Thai culture and Thai women, foreigners will need to find a Thai girl that speaks English? To me, that's ridiculous. You want to get to know a culture, YOU learn THEIR language. It's that simple.

Look to your home country; if you meet someone having been there for years, you'd have to wonder why the hell they've been there for so long without learning the language. You'd claim they're not interested in being integrated into the society etc. But hey, coming to Thailand, we're such quality additions to their society that those rules don't apply to us, right?

Ignorance is a two way street.

An excellent point.

I would surely think someone in the states would make a great effort to learn english,

at LEAST for their own advancement and future happiness

I know for sure, if I didnt find a girl who spoke fluent thai, I was going nowhere here

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

Small sidestep.....would u agree that, whilst living in thailand, when children involved, the thai man/woman should make an effort to learn about their partners native language ?

Blame the Vietnam era GI's who came to Thailand and set the foundation for what it is. Everyone in the world is a person thus has feelings.

There were sexual favors for sale in Thailand before the first GI ever heard of Vietnam. Yes, some of the sex sites grew as a result of the GI R&R spots, but those which have grown and continue to thrive today do so without the GI presence.

• Like 1

I agree with your post except to add, hurt, exploited.... by Thai men for the most part.

Anyway OP, booked your flight yet?

for crissakes,

I just got adjusted to pacific time in the US!.

haha yet here you are posting about thailand, women etc etc.

Face it. Life as you know is over.

As David Attenborough (cant spell it nor bothered to look up the correct spelling) said on a programme he did on Thailand, "Funny thing about Thailand, you haven't even left the country and you are already thinking about when you will return:"

It's ok Scarp, the addictive salty, sweet, sour and savoury taste of Thailand has entered your system and you are hooked forever. You are in good company.

True,

but not before I have the visa issues resolved.

someone told me the US Embassy will give me a letter of income, without actual proof.

I am going to test that

True. Called an Affidavit of Income. Amount self stated. Notarized by US Embassy in Bangkok, $50. You can download a copy from their web site. O-A visa is much easier to get in Thailand then in LA, just arrive with a tourist visa from the LA consulate. Bernard there is a good guy.

While I have to return to LA from time to time, I know I do not miss it when I'm in Thailand like I miss Thailand when I am here.

Except for maybe the pizza and In n out burgers.

Welcome back to Sunny (just not today) Southern California.

Because the majority like those who post on this forum like to 'tar everyone with the same brush'

Some Thai ladies do seem heartless and some of that will be because of the way they have been treated by both the Thai boyfriens/husbands and the Farang that they meet.

We all hear how the Farang has been done over but there are also many times the Thai ladies are treated very disrepectively by the Farang. Often promising to help but after a few months decide not to do, or think it's ok for him to 'butterfly' but not the lady.

The problem is many of the Thai ladies can't write in English and post their experiences on this forum, so we hear one side of the story. However if they did the majority would offer no symphathy and just conclude that she must have derserved it.

The pressure the daughter gets from her family to make money enough to not only feed her parents, siblings and other relatives is enormous.

I too had a not too pleasant experience with a Thai lady but I have to admit that it was partly down to my naivety and maybe too soft a heart.

I admit to having a soft heart in this case too bu my experience was not unpleasant, and unlikely that it is over

the key is to know when to apply the reigns, so your heart doesnt get stampeded

there is a reason they name hurricanes after females and forumsm like these are available so we know what to look out for,

then, it is as they say in thailand,

up to you

The key is, when you think you know what the key is, you may find out at least opportune time that you have found the wrong key. Have fun in Estados Unidos.

• Like 2

'Catsphincter' (post 49)... "american warrior" ... get your hand off ... gezz Louise you septics go on and on

"war's been over for 39 years (sic) but ask them if we left them better off" and to prove the specious quality of your comment, Scarpolo agreed with you ...

I was agreeing to the post copied in my reply.

It just happened to come after post 49.

I didnt comment on 49, and that doesnt mean I don't agree, although, I didnt comment

to beachnut, that would mean,

I agreed to it,

and probably also wrote it

under another name,

then agreed with myself,

sort of like what beaverhead-front-nut does,

in the mirror,

in his bathroom,

with no tub,

or girl to rub

in the tub,

which, he doesn't have,

but if he did,

he would rub,

himself

and then say.

I lied

Please stop taking Haloperidol.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Blame the Vietnam era GI's who came to Thailand and set the foundation for what it is. Everyone in the world is a person thus has feelings.

Incorrect.....

I believe you are considering Pattaya as Representing the whole of Thailand.

Which is incredibly naive.

Don't blame the American GIs for Pattaya. When I was there (1968-1972) it was a sleepy little Thai resort town with a handful of residents. There were only a sparse crowd of good-time girls there. If the GIs wanted company most brought them with them from Bangkok and the bars outside U-tapao and Samae San. It wasn't until after the war ended that Pattaya boomed.

But it's true that Thai women, even the B-girls have hearts and feelings. I spent the last couple of years in Bangkok, sitting at the back of my Mother-in-laws bar playing Dr Drew to a bunch of girl who were by turns, hard as nails, weepy, and heartbroken. But make no mistake, especially with the b-girls. Their priorities are not the same as your priorities. Their background is not the same as yours nor is the way they see the world.

Failure to recognize that leads to a lot of problems.

• Like 1

While I have to return to LA from time to time, I know I do not miss it when I'm in Thailand like I miss Thailand when I am here.

Except for maybe the pizza and In n out burgers.

Don't forget the burritos. wub.png

I can state for sure, I am done with LA,

SF is beautiful today, a range of 42 low tonight and 72 now in the sun, 62 in the shade.

gonna take the ferry to Sausalito and then cab it over to the Hall.

Sometimes it is better to stay quiet and have others think one is stupid rather than speaking and eliminating all doubt. The OP is surely old and wise enough to practice this philosophy in life. He was here 6mos seriously what can any of us have truly known about Thai culture after 180 days? Most of the johns that hook up with the BG are piss heads and twisted pratts that don't respect themselves much less others. The have a ton of emotional baggage and hook up with women who do too hence misery loves company.

• Like 2

Good initial post scarpolo,

And a few good helpful reply's. Good luck with the visa. Sorry, that as more often than not, while you simply asked someone to stand up for Thai Girls/Women, it ends up being just another bashing....................... and God forbid, somehow someone even got to throw in a punch or two on the US Military going all the way back to the Vietnam war.

As for the Girls/Women, I lobby not a lot different than any other country. You get what you pay for. And "NO" this does not mean they have to or were a bar girl. Could have been, but not relevant. It simply implies that if you find a good one, and yes, there are many good ones out there, you must first be free emotionally to take risks, meaning trust her and fall for her completely, so she in turn can trust you enough to fall for you. Sad but true state of affairs is that without this commitment, a Thai Girl, (and I do not blame them) is never going to trust the Farang as they know to many Girls that were screwed over by them. As one member noted, and I agree, far more girls get screwed over by guys than guys get screwed over by girls.

As for the guy taking "pot shots" at the US Military from of course deep in his TV Bunker...... God I love these guys, Wonder what they would do if the Chinese came Knocking on their door. Oh Yeah, they would plead for the US to come help them...........................

All I can say is God Bless Those that Served in the US Military, in Vietnam or any other war, and God have mercy on those that have no concept of it........................ Funny how many older Farangs come up and thank the US Farang for liberating them from "their" occupied country from (pick a war) . And I suspect some would be turning over in their graves to know that their son or grandson's are now bashing the same US Military that freed them from the "Occupation".......... Some need to spend a little more time reading their history books on their own country. Just who the hell do they think came over and liberated them in WW2, "Ghost Busters" My God this shit burns on me............................................Nuff Said......

Funny how fast a good intention can go down the rat hole on this site.....................

Anyway, getting off topic, lol, not that that means anything here, wish you the best and pretty darn sure you will sort things out and be back. .

As for me, yeah, I know you already know. I am one of the luck ones.................. Love Thailand, Love the Culture, Sure as heck love my Wife............ As I have noted before, someday it may all go to sh........ on me but, well, that happens in any country, sure as heck not just Thailand....... Meanwhile, I plan on enjoying the ride, not finding some reason to bitch about it.........

• Like 2

SF is a great place -- I was living in the East Bay in 1989 for the Loma Prieta earthquake and was on the Cypress viaduct to & from the Bay Bridge that same morning when the quake struck at 5 pm.

They should really name earthquakes after women because, by the time you realize it has struck, it is already too late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cypress_collapsed.jpg

• Like 2

SF is a great place -- I was living in the East Bay in 1989 for the Loma Prieta earthquake and was on the Cypress viaduct to & from the Bay Bridge that same morning when the quake struck at 5 pm.

If I had enough money, I would be retired in SF and not CM.

Lunch on the warf, dinner in Chinatown Ski-ing at Lake Tahoe, walks in Muir woods ..........

Lunch on the warf, dinner in Chinatown Ski-ing at Lake Tahoe, walks in Muir woods ..........

Wharf of course.

Pier 39 was my favourite, many bowls of clam chowder consumed of an evening there.

Edited by FiftyTwo

First off lets do a little analysis......Since "Scarpolo's" limited experience in Thailand has mostly to do with dating for a few months a "high-end" soapy Prostitute and since this is his post it would seem to be geared toward sex trade women....

Just how many Thai women are involved in the Sex trade? A little research shows that although the number varies according to various polls.....200,000 to 300,000 is probably a good estimate. Population of Thailand is about 67 million with about half being women.....Sooooo 33.5 million women! So .006 percent of Thai Women work in the Sex industry and Scarpo's interaction with that segment.....Well obviously WAY LESS

My point is that after 6 months in Thailand with limited interaction .....the generalizations made by the OP ......well preposterous !!!

So as said before......Post read.....moving on coffee1.gif

I read that two out of three Thai men use prostitutes in some way, whether they are Mia Nois, from bars, or streetwalkers etc. If that is anywhere near true, then how many prostitutes are really in Thailand? I am not against prostitution as long as no one is getting hurt in any way. No one has any right to tell anyone what they can or can't do with their own bodies.

Firstly, define ''prostitution''

An office worker ''good girl'' could have a debt that needs to be taken care of immediately and the fastest way is to rent her body out. She might do this for a week or month part-time and after she collected enough money to pay her debts, she will then stop doing it.

Then, is she called an ex prostitute?

I would say all women are whores, whenever it suits them. Most simple philosophical truth out there. Only a few understands. Have been hidden by feminist movement to safe face, so most men don't realize this.

PS, save your political correct reactions.

• Like 1

Firstly, define ''prostitution''

An office worker ''good girl'' could have a debt that needs to be taken care of immediately and the fastest way is to rent her body out. She might do this for a week or month part-time and after she collected enough money to pay her debts, she will then stop doing it.

Person who accepts cash in exchange for sex.

Money paid directly either up front or shortly after the service is provided.

The definition is easy and clearly doesn't include a wife (former or current), who is generally paid for not having sex with you.

The definition does include your 'office worker'.

Then, is she called an ex prostitute?

I would say all women are whores, whenever it suits them. Most simple philosophical truth out there. Only a few understands. Have been hidden by feminist movement to safe face, so most men don't realize this.

PS, save your political correct reactions.

Complete BS!

Edited by FiftyTwo

Small sidestep.....would u agree that, whilst living in thailand, when children involved, the thai man/woman should make an effort to learn about their partners native language ?

I think it's good if they try, but if their future is in Thailand I think it's quite ignorant to expect your surroundings to learn your language and adapt to your ways - when it in fact should be the other way around. However, I think learning additional languages, especially English (and Chinese, Japanese, German, French or even Russian), is a huge advantage. In my case, being a Norwegian, I see very few benefits of learning a language perhaps 7 million people across the globe can speak. I must admit though, learning any language is a great advantage and opens up possibilities. However, this is beside the point - the nr. 1 rule of being integrated into a society is learning the language. 3 out of 10 foreigners I meet (and I think I'm being overly generous) can speak enough Thai to engage in a conversation. Out of the remaining 7, there must be quite a lot of hypocritical "bar stool heroes" who condemn Asian and African immigrants in their own country who "don't even bother to learn the language and become an active part of the society". That being said, it's easier said than done to learn additional languages for elderly people who only know one language in the first place. For every language you learn, it gets easier to pick up another one.

To me, my Thai-English, English-Thai dictionary was my "third leg" for quite a few years. I never went anywhere without it. Through learning a few words every day, pulling out the dictionary any chance I got, I eventually managed to learn the language all by myself. This is, of course, easier if you're constantly surrounded by Thai people and barely see a foreigner.

To get back on topic; I think a lot of people have had bad experiences with Thai girls, girls from a culture they often don't really understand (which is often a huge part of the reason for the bad experience in the first place). Dehumanizing them (or projecting) is just a defense mechanism - it's always easier to blame another party for your own misfortune, than to do some soul searching and figure out if there's something you yourself could've done differently.

I disagree partly with you.

Agree upon the fact that a foreigner, with children, in thailand should learn thai to an extend that he/she can converse at least basic thai. Out of respect to his partner and to acquire knowledge of thai society. The latter doesnt mean that if he /she doesnt speak thai no knowledge can be acquired.

I disagree about the partners point of view from you. IMO it shows respect to the partner to learn his/her native language when there are children involved. Whether they have a future in thailand or not. It gives as well a good example for the common children.

I agree on your last paragraph wholeheartedly. Its not something, unfortunately, one reads alot about on this forum.

• Like 2

I disagree partly with you.

Agree upon the fact that a foreigner, with children, in thailand should learn thai to an extend that he/she can converse at least basic thai. Out of respect to his partner and to acquire knowledge of thai society. The latter doesnt mean that if he /she doesnt speak thai no knowledge can be acquired.

I disagree about the partners point of view from you. IMO it shows respect to the partner to learn his/her native language when there are children involved. Whether they have a future in thailand or not. It gives as well a good example for the common children.

I agree on your last paragraph wholeheartedly. Its not something, unfortunately, one reads alot about on this forum.

I agree that it's possible to learn a lot about the culture even without speaking the language. Understanding the culture fully is a lot harder, though (and something 99% of us will never fully be able to, even though we regularly speak with locals), but you can gain some level of understanding either way (though the level of understanding, in my opinion, increases exponentially with your level of Thai). If you want to be fully integrated, though, it's imperative to learn to speak it and speak it fluently.

I see your point about respect, sort of, but I haven't really tried to teach them (nor do I have time) and I've made an effort from day 1 to speak their language. However, I'm sure there are lots of foreigners here who think their Thai partner should show them respect by learning their language, yet they don't show the Thai people the respect of learning Thai themselves.

Other than that, I'd prefer them to speak English (Norwegian isn't that important, most if not almost all Norwegians can speak English) when not speaking Thai, as it's a much more useful language to learn and one I can speak relatively well myself. Norwegian as well would of course be an advantage, though not necessarily that important.

As for the last paragraph; yes, I think many people have bad experiences and project it onto / blame it on the Thai girls. It's one of the main reasons for gaining a thorough understanding of the language and the culture; it'll be easier to see the hows and whys. How can you analyze what you don't really understand?

Edited by Sirbergan

Good initial post scarpolo,

And a few good helpful reply's. Good luck with the visa. Sorry, that as more often than not, while you simply asked someone to stand up for Thai Girls/Women, it ends up being just another bashing....................... and God forbid, somehow someone even got to throw in a punch or two on the US Military going all the way back to the Vietnam war.

As for the Girls/Women, I lobby not a lot different than any other country. You get what you pay for. And "NO" this does not mean they have to or were a bar girl. Could have been, but not relevant. It simply implies that if you find a good one, and yes, there are many good ones out there, you must first be free emotionally to take risks, meaning trust her and fall for her completely, so she in turn can trust you enough to fall for you. Sad but true state of affairs is that without this commitment, a Thai Girl, (and I do not blame them) is never going to trust the Farang as they know to many Girls that were screwed over by them. As one member noted, and I agree, far more girls get screwed over by guys than guys get screwed over by girls.

As for the guy taking "pot shots" at the US Military from of course deep in his TV Bunker...... God I love these guys, Wonder what they would do if the Chinese came Knocking on their door. Oh Yeah, they would plead for the US to come help them...........................

All I can say is God Bless Those that Served in the US Military, in Vietnam or any other war, and God have mercy on those that have no concept of it........................ Funny how many older Farangs come up and thank the US Farang for liberating them from "their" occupied country from (pick a war) . And I suspect some would be turning over in their graves to know that their son or grandson's are now bashing the same US Military that freed them from the "Occupation".......... Some need to spend a little more time reading their history books on their own country. Just who the hell do they think came over and liberated them in WW2, "Ghost Busters" My God this shit burns on me............................................Nuff Said......

Funny how fast a good intention can go down the rat hole on this site.....................

Anyway, getting off topic, lol, not that that means anything here, wish you the best and pretty darn sure you will sort things out and be back. .

As for me, yeah, I know you already know. I am one of the luck ones.................. Love Thailand, Love the Culture, Sure as heck love my Wife............ As I have noted before, someday it may all go to sh........ on me but, well, that happens in any country, sure as heck not just Thailand....... Meanwhile, I plan on enjoying the ride, not finding some reason to bitch about it.........

I don't take bashers seriously.

Their own families don't so why should we?

• Like 1

They should really name earthquakes after women because, by the time you realize it has struck, it is already too late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cypress_collapsed.jpg

Last night in was in the 40's

Now it is 72 degrees.

I caught an art show in Union Square yesterday getting off the train,

and saw my friends play last night and took 500 pictures.

my future is forming from my thoughts and my life in Thailand, not over,

but the first chapter is, and I have no regrets.

This morning I received a photo from the girl left behind; praying for my safe travels.

She knows she will see me again, and I am equally as sure.

The posters of TV and friends I met in Thailand, all gave me well intentioned advice, which, only a fool would ignore, so I was well suited and well armed, before I met up with the girl I shacked with.

I am not new to the dual geography game, and had two lives going from 14-17 a NYC group and a Miami group. However, Thailand is further away, and takes more planning.

Thanks for all the positive replies,

the negative one's serve a purpose too

I lived here on and off for the last two years, in the Fairmont, which negotiated a monthly rate for me.

It is the perfect location as the rails cross at the lower corner, taking me anywhere in the city,

but I find it too cold here, and south florida suits my swim and sun lifestyle, and it is easier to hook up with other musicians there as the landscape makes it easier

How could this topic go so far off the rails. I suppose because we are at page 9 now.

off topic rants being removed.

Soon be time to close this one.

I opened the thread with a wide topic range.

I prefer to judge what it on or off topic on a thread I created,

does TV, not permit that?