Pet Hates on Thai Visa Forums

A. BOOZER

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a pet-like:

People who hijack a boring thread and attempt to steer the audience onto something more interesting. For example - the Hong Kong 7s are about to start. Does anyone know if there's any local television coverage?

Probably local coverage in Hong Kong,

Edited by harrry

The more I read forums the less I want to return to Thailand.

Although having said that, I will return.

Just won't be sitting around the people who have lived there for years and are sick of it, near back packers or the tourists that treat people like dirt.

Maybe we don't want hippies near us either. When does one decide to become a back packer? wink.png

The more I read forums the less I want to return to Thailand.

Although having said that, I will return.

Just won't be sitting around the people who have lived there for years and are sick of it, near back packers or the tourists that treat people like dirt.

Maybe we don't want hippies near us either. When does one decide to become a back packer? wink.png

Are there any Thaivisa members who would still admit to being a hippie?

(Further attempt to hijack thread)

Post containing

Dubai

Thainess

Huggers

Red or yellow democracy in action.

Apologists

Scam instead of scheme.

Don't invest what you can't afford to lose.

10 times is fine but in the thousands. Then it sounds cut and paste.

Post with more than 3 paragraphs

what i hated was dogs barking alnight i stopped them on night i brought fireworks and stood in front of ther gate and lit of crakers whith there dogs barking and told them i will stop throwing crackers when they stop dog barking after that had good slrrp cheers allan

Walls of text and no paragraphs, I won't read more than 2 paragraphs, even on a good thread unless the guy is making sense and writing well.

I find people who write the most often have the least to say.

Sometimes I just read the first 10 words (approx) and then scroll down.

Complaining about walls of text but yet you refuse to read more than 2 paragraphs even on a good thread.

Are you the type of guy that refuses to learn how to speak Thai, because you are superior to others?

• Like 1

Walls of text and no paragraphs, I won't read more than 2 paragraphs, even on a good thread unless the guy is making sense and writing well.

Complaining about walls of text but yet you refuse to read more than 2 paragraphs even on a good thread.

Are you the type of guy that refuses to learn how to speak Thai, because you are superior to others?

"... unless the guy is making sense and writing well."

Sometimes, we have to read the whole sentence to understand it properly.

I don't see why you go off on a tangent about his linguistic ambitions. I'd have speculated on his relative ignorance of the thirteen-man code, despite thriving leagues on British Columbia and Ontario

SC

• Like 1

Point is this medium is usually for relatively short messages, so if you're going to violate that by posting long ones least you can do is break them up into chunks using paragraphs.

One huge block of text is basically unreadable visually, so most people won't bother trying no matter how well-written it might be.

• Like 1

My Thai wife or my Thai GF. Why not just say my wife or my girlfriend. I don't go around saying my Swiss boyfriend or my French boyfriend...

Or, in dire straits, my English boyfriend... Or the word Partner. I may be old fashioned but i say boyfriend or girlfriend or husband or wife. None of that partner crap.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

I don't see why you go off on a tangent about his linguistic ambitions. I'd have speculated on his relative ignorance of the thirteen-man code, despite thriving leagues on British Columbia and Ontario

SC

I blame the 7 months of Canadian winter for our ineptitude at sports played on grassy fields. We did mange some success at rounders and a version of American style football. But give us rugby on ice and we'll be world champs.

• Like 1

SC

I blame the 7 months of Canadian winter for our ineptitude at sports played on grassy fields. We did mange some success at rounders and a version of American style football. But give us rugby on ice and we'll be world champs.

One of other people's pet hates is the derailers - people who suddenly drag a topic off into a completely unrelated digression. I actually mentioned this, when I was in Pittsburgh the other week, attending my first ever game of ice hockey. It's a great stadium, by the way, and a very entertaining evening out. I was s surprised that - given that it was billed as an intense local rivalry with the Washington Whatevers - the game seemed to be played in a good-natured competitive rather than combatative manner. I w as a bit shocked by the price printed on the tickets, though, and I hope that our hosts had received a substantial discount.

What team do you follow?

SC

• Like 1

TV has been instrumental in narrowing my retirement choices to just one - and it's not Thailand. 4 weeks from today, I get on a plane and let the cards fall where they may. If the next 12 months leaves me with the kind of bitterness many here seem to feel toward their adopted country, I'll get on another plane - simple. Absolutely no point enduring a country - and people - that you find insufferable, but I accept that it makes it much harder if one of those people is legally entitled to a large chunk of your possessions. Caveat Emptor. ;)

Professional athletes are grossly overpaid.

I don't think so. A lot of them start out as apprentices on youth training schemes that are really not particularly attractive (other than the opportunity to play the sport of your choice for a living).

My understanding is that they are paid a market rate, with some artificial salary caps and in accordance with any minimum wage legislation.

A friend of mine is a former professional athlete, and I think he is better off now as an itinerant engineer than turning out on a cold Sunday afternoon as a young man. He played for a club that would not be seriously affected by the salary cap, though...

SC

^ what country might that be ?

Malaysia......as he has pointed out in many....many of his comments.

Indonesia, which conclusion he reached after thoroughly investigating Malaysia, if my understanding serves me well

Perhaps you would be better to rely on his own testimony, rather than idle gossip amongst his peers, though

SC

I should pay attention more.

I would not choose Malaysia....I think Malaysia is the boring Asian cousin.....even their pilots head south.

Edited by Showbags
  • Like 1

Indonesia, which conclusion he reached after thoroughly investigating Malaysia, if my understanding serves me well

Perhaps you would be better to rely on his own testimony, rather than idle gossip amongst his peers, though

SC

Sorry... idle gossip ? If i am wrong i am wrong...like you....if my understanding served me well.....apparantly not.

Btw; dont know the guy, let alone his peers.

Edited by benalibina

SC

One of other people's pet hates is the derailers - people who suddenly drag a topic off into a completely unrelated digression. I actually mentioned this, when I was in Pittsburgh the other week, attending my first ever game of ice hockey. It's a great stadium, by the way, and a very entertaining evening out. I was s surprised that - given that it was billed as an intense local rivalry with the Washington Whatevers - the game seemed to be played in a good-natured competitive rather than combatative manner. I w as a bit shocked by the price printed on the tickets, though, and I hope that our hosts had received a substantial discount.

What team do you follow?

SC

Yes derailers are a constant problem some threads just never get back. Just like the team I follow, The Flames. They were top drawer once upon a time, but I fear the climb back to the top is getting ever steeper. Last time I went (3 years ago) someone gave me tickets that were marked $120 a piece. Apparently, there many much higher price seats than those.

• Like 1

The posters who attempt humour (usually behind the guise of knowing it all). They usually appear in the first ten or so posts, consist of one sentence (usually followed by emoticons - the newspaper reading coffee drinking one, or the lying on the floor laughing one - you know the ones - coffee1.gifcheesy.gif ).

I love humour and comedy, but it is sadly lacking here.

I couldn't agree more! Most posters here aren't that funny, and it amazes me how many will post the same stupid response in one thread. This clearly shows how generic their humor is. I read one thread about Singha beer. One poster said it tasted like piss. Half a dozen people responded and asked him how he knew what piss tastes like.

The other one that really get me is when people tear apart others grammar or facts that are irrelevant to the conversation.

The last one is when people use slang or local grammar and I have no idea what they are trying to say!