FedEx problems

luudee

I do a lot of importing of various small items for personal use.

It seems this year everything that comes in on FedEx goes through extra screwteny ...

DHL and EMS/USPS come straight through .... I pay the import charged, taxes, etc,

and no problem, getting my packages.

With FedEx I now have the fourth package this year that has been sitting in Customs

for over a week.

All paperwork is correct, the Schedule B (Harmonics codes ???) are in place, vendor

filled in all the pricing item descriptions and classifications, etc ...

But, no, with FedEx, I need to provide additional descriptions, and than they come

back saying Customs did not understand, and I need to try again, and again ...

Last thing they want authorization to open my package and take pictures to send

to me ... very very frustrating ...

Last two packages went to "Litigation" and I had to hire some 3rd party to represent

me and clear things ...

Is this just me ? Or do others have these issues as well ? Did FedEx forget to pay

their tee money to Customs ???

I already tell all my shippers not to use FedEx, but in some cases it is not possible ...

Cheers,

luudee

Any similarity in point of origin among the parcels where you have experienced the problems?

I don't know if it would work for you, but we use Access USA out of Sarasota, Florida. (www.myus.com)

All our mail and packages sent there, then consolidated and sent to us by DHL.

Access will use DHL as sole shipping vehicle if you specify, and you can set the shipping schedule.

All FedEx problem shipments where from the US.

Actually this latest shipment was a combined shipment using myus.com.

I will never use them again, what a nightmare, but that's another story.

Part of the problem I think is that myus.com instead of including the

original invoices, created a new one, inserting the harmonics code and

confusing the local customs monkeys. They advertise that I can create

my own paperwork, but in reality they do it all the way they want.

Still similar shipments went just fine with USPS/EMS.

Most eBay sellers don't even declare the correct value, which is great

for me as a consumer, but really breaks the law ...

I had only pleasant experiences dealing with EMS and customs directly,

even when they do audit my parcels and I have to go to Lam Chabang.

Besides being a bit of a pain in the neck to drive out there, those

guys are just doing their job and inspect the packages. I have never

been asked for tee money or had any other trouble.

On two occasions they even showed some leniency as special paperwork

was required on items over 40K baht which I did not have. They let me

go by with a warning (no tee money).

All these experiences, is what makes me even more suspicious to the

crap I am experiencing with FedEx.

Cheers,

luudee

All FedEx problem shipments where from the US.

Actually this latest shipment was a combined shipment using myus.com.

I will never use them again, what a nightmare, but that's another story.

Part of the problem I think is that myus.com instead of including the

original invoices, created a new one, inserting the harmonics code and

confusing the local customs monkeys. They advertise that I can create

my own paperwork, but in reality they do it all the way they want.

I have used Access for about 12 years with shipments to many different countries when I was working. The only times I had any trouble was when they shipped FedEx, so iI hose the DHL only option which they have available, and have never had a problem since.

I agree that USPS/EMS works well, and in many cases saves on the import duties and taxes, unlike DHL where both are charged on every shipment.

Whatever is the reason someone who does a lot of import must be dumb to still use any courier company...

Sorry, but it's just the facts.

Your post didn't make any sense at all, what should he have used ? Magic carpets ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Whatever is the reason someone who does a lot of import must be dumb to still use any courier company...

Your post didn't make any sense at all, what should he have used ? Magic carpets ?

Just do a Search here at Thai Visa using just the term Fedex and just see how many complaint posts there are about it specifically, and other courier services generally. Then the comment will make sense to you

• Like 1

Interesting, in the past it was rather DHL that had such problems.

The choice of transport mode (forwarder versus parcel service) does not depend on the frequency of shipments but their size. Consignments below 50 kg or so are usually cheaper by parcel service.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

If having frequent small shipments from the same country, the better option may be to contact a freight forwarder and ask them about costs to arrange for consolidation

You can then have all your packages sent to the forwarder's w/h at the origin country

Then once the shipment is large enough... Ship out via airfreight mode and clear under formal customs process upon arrival.

Handle this type of set up for many companies in Thailand from various countries around the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ! Got my Payment Notification today !

Package Declared Value: 119,98 USD

Duty & Tax: 1713 Baht

Clearance Charge: 1200

Vat for Clearance Charge: 84

Customs Overtime: 200

Total: 3197 baht

Awesome !!! Thanks FedEX !!!

• Like 1

Yes ! You are right ! Bravo ! You are an expert in shipping and still use Fedex but my comment does not make sense !

You must be a genius <3

It's amazing how people around the world do not understand that the only reason why courier companies are allowed to import faster is that they WORK FOR CUSTOMS and apply tax on their behalf. So they all are similar and only post office shipping (even EMS) is safer, not hard to understand I guess ?

Edited by thailandbeachisland

Yes ! You are right ! Bravo ! You are an expert in shipping and still use Fedex but my comment does not make sense !

You must be a genuis <3

Why don't you enlighten us all of your superior knowledge then ?

Most of the time it isn't possible for the buyer to choose the company that will be used, and as another poster has pointed out already, items below a certain weight will not profit from using a freight forwarder.

I had the some problem with FedEx AND MyUS.com. I won't use either of them ever again.

I did the same as you - I consolidated several eBay orders (used PC peripherals - really old ones) and cosmetics from 2 different US companies.

To start with MyUS.com was a real pain in the butt. They asked me what the costs were if an invoice was not included, and then they'd ask me for a receipt to prove it... so everything was listed at the full retail price. I'll never use them again. If I have to prove value of every single item they're no use to me. I wonder if they ever get the same customer to use them twice.

Then of course a FedEx clearance agent never stopped calling and emailing me for a week asking more info on every single item. It felt I was being interrogated and doing something highly illegal. The "harassment" from the FedEx clearance agent was worse than all the extra money I had to pay.

... so of course I ended up paying 30% + 7% on just about everything and about 1350 clearance fee and all the other little costs they add on - the shipment was worth about $200, but ended up paying nearly the same again if I include the shipment costs.

FedEx - E.M.A!

• Like 1

I had the some problem with FedEx AND MyUS.com. I won't use either of them ever again.

I did the same as you - I consolidated several eBay orders (used PC peripherals - really old ones) and cosmetics from 2 different US companies.

To start with MyUS.com was a real pain in the butt. They asked me what the costs were if an invoice was not included, and then they'd ask me for a receipt to prove it... so everything was listed at the full retail price. I'll never use them again. If I have to prove value of every single item they're no use to me. I wonder if they ever get the same customer to use them twice.

Then of course a FedEx clearance agent never stopped calling and emailing me for a week asking more info on every single item. It felt I was being interrogated and doing something highly illegal. The "harassment" from the FedEx clearance agent was worse than all the extra money I had to pay.

... so of course I ended up paying 30% + 7% on just about everything and about 1350 clearance fee and all the other little costs they add on - the shipment was worth about $200, but ended up paying nearly the same again if I include the shipment costs.

FedEx - E.M.A!

Hmmm... your experience with Access differs from mine.

I have been using Access USA for over 12 years now, and never had any major problem with them. When there were minor glitches, their CS folks handled them well.

BTW, the practice of full valuation by them is new - they formerly allowed the customer to choose wholesale value at 75% or retail valuation at 100% and set the value online. Asking for proof is also new within the last year. I think they likely got their hands slapped by the USG for their old practice and are trying to dot their i's and cross their t's.

As I indicated above, they sent some parcels via FedEx in the early years, and I consistently had problems on receiving, so I specified DHL ONLY with Access, and have never had a problem.

I do agree with other poster that using USPS works better than the couriers - I have had several parcels from the US delivered here in the last year which came through in a week or so, with no customs hassles or charges.

Query: were you charged 30% import tariff on the computer items? As I understand it, the rate is 0% on electronic items, so you should have only been charged VAT on those items.

• Like 1

Looks like Tropo and I are having 100% exact experience.

Customs always charges me 10% on computer equipment. I recently imported

some SAS drives, and had essentially to pay 17% ...

I don't think I ever had to pay 30% ...

Cheers,

luudee

Crap ! They lied (again).

Got a call today "to inform" me that they now will go and get

a "FDA Import License" (this shipment contains makeup). And

Than they will submit it all to customs. I asked the lady how

she was able to calculate all customs fees the day before if

it has not cleared (the document said it did clear).

Totally disgusted with FedEx ...

luudee

Cheers,

luudee

I think maybe you and Tropo have been had...

According to Duty Calculator (http://www.dutycalculator.com/), the import duty on SAS drives is 0%; you pay VAT on the CIF value only.

I have argued this - successfully - with Amazon on several occasions when I have ordered hard drives from them: they always include estimated import duties when I check out, and when I tell them no, there are no duties on hard drives (or most other computer parts), only VAT, they have checked and refunded the duty amount straight away. They use iParcel (which emulates EMS) to ship to Thailand, so it rarely if ever gets questioned on arrival, thus I have not yet had occasion to argue this out with Thai Customs, but the charts are pretty clear.

• Like 1

Cheers,

luudee

According to Duty Calculator (http://www.dutycalculator.com/), the import duty on SAS drives is 0%; you pay VAT on the CIF value only.

I have argued this - successfully - with Amazon on several occasions when I have ordered hard drives from them: they always include estimated import duties when I check out, and when I tell them no, there are no duties on hard drives (or most other computer parts), only VAT, they have checked and refunded the duty amount straight away. They use iParcel (which emulates EMS) to ship to Thailand, so it rarely if ever gets questioned on arrival, thus I have not yet had occasion to argue this out with Thai Customs, but the charts are pretty clear.

The customs duty on cosmetics is indeed 30% and of course the vat is payable on everything, including shipping.

BTW, customs duty and VAT has absolutely nothing to do with Amazon, If you manage to get a shipment by customs, then great, but you didn't pay only because customs didn't check out your order. I'll put money down if customs inspect your parcel full of new computer components, you'll be paying duty no matter what they tell you at Amazon.

Amazon shipping fees are a rip off anyway. I'd never buy anything on there.

What I'm confused about is why did you pay duty to Amazon in the first place. I've seen this on eBay too, where people need to pay import duties on items. They're paying for the US side and it has nothing to do with customs charges in Thailand. It has something to do with charges due on US items which are resold, and they're asking buyers to foot the bill. I wouldn't go near any sellers who charge that.

Query: were you charged 30% import tariff on the computer items? As I understand it, the rate is 0% on electronic items, so you should have only been charged VAT on those items.

I wasn't charged duty on the computer items, but I figured that was because they were used. Either way it didn't much matter as it was only $25 in a shipment valued at over $200.

Cheers,

luudee

The 30% is on cosmetics. They make you feel like a drug dealer when you're importing cosmetics.

Crap ! They lied (again).

Got a call today "to inform" me that they now will go and get

a "FDA Import License" (this shipment contains makeup). And

Than they will submit it all to customs. I asked the lady how

she was able to calculate all customs fees the day before if

it has not cleared (the document said it did clear).

Totally disgusted with FedEx ...

luudee

You can look forward to 30% on that makeup, not a baht less.

Cheers,

luudee

The customs duty on cosmetics is indeed 30% and of course the vat is payable on everything, including shipping.

BTW, customs duty and VAT has absolutely nothing to do with Amazon, If you manage to get a shipment by customs, then great, but you didn't pay only because customs didn't check out your order. I'll put money down if customs inspect your parcel full of new computer components, you'll be paying duty no matter what they tell you at Amazon.

Amazon shipping fees are a rip off anyway. I'd never buy anything on there.

What I'm confused about is why did you pay duty to Amazon in the first place. I've seen this on eBay too, where people need to pay import duties on items. They're paying for the US side and it has nothing to do with customs charges in Thailand. It has something to do with charges due on US items which are resold, and they're asking buyers to foot the bill. I wouldn't go near any sellers who charge that.

I am well aware that Customs here is the responsible party, not Amazon, but the amounts owed are based on the established tariffs, and for most computer parts, that rate is 0%. I always check the rates applicable using Duty Calculator, which is constantly updated, and am certain as to what the appropriate charges will be before I order something.

If you order something from Amazon which is eligible for direct shipping to Thailand (they call it Amazon Global), they will charge an amount for "estimated customs duties and VAT" when you check out, and turn it over to the shipper (usually iParcel) to pay the costs at customs clearance on arrival. The problem arises when they collect more funds than are necessary, as with the hard drives that I ordered. Theoretically, you will be refunded once the final calculation is determined - good luck with that. If you don't contest it, it winds up as extra profit for iParcel.

eBay has a similar program.

It is supposed to speed up delivery....

• Like 1

WaywardWind, about a year ago, I ordered a book on amazon, I need

it quickly, and didn't care about the extra charges. I think that

was the time they just started collecting customs, etc.... anyway,

I almost forgot about it, but than some 2 or 3 months later, a

refund from Amazon arrived (for overcharged customs fees) ... I was

pleasantly surprised ...

luudee

I am well aware that Customs here is the responsible party, not Amazon, but the amounts owed are based on the established tariffs, and for most computer parts, that rate is 0%. I always check the rates applicable using Duty Calculator, which is constantly updated, and am certain as to what the appropriate charges will be before I order something.

If you order something from Amazon which is eligible for direct shipping to Thailand (they call it Amazon Global), they will charge an amount for "estimated customs duties and VAT" when you check out, and turn it over to the shipper (usually iParcel) to pay the costs at customs clearance on arrival. The problem arises when they collect more funds than are necessary, as with the hard drives that I ordered. Theoretically, you will be refunded once the final calculation is determined - good luck with that. If you don't contest it, it winds up as extra profit for iParcel.

eBay has a similar program.

It is supposed to speed up delivery....

OK, thanks for the explanation. I've never had your experience from eBay sellers, because I stay away from any sellers asking for duty of any type.

Also, the price of shipping with Amazon is through the roof, so I give them a miss too.

I would have been quite happy to pay ONLY 30% + VAT on my recent shipment. All the extras paid to FedEx added up to a significant amount.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I quit using MyUS a couple years ago because of their crap... and have always avoided Fedex.

If you want reliable service then I would suggest Expat Express and DHL.

Kurt

I've never had a problem with EMS either.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I quit using MyUS a couple years ago because of their crap... and have always avoided Fedex.

If you want reliable service then I would suggest Expat Express and DHL.

Kurt

I've never had a problem with EMS either.

From the US?

• 2 months later...

I just shipped a package of personal effects to our daughter in Thailand via FedEx and they are requesting she mail her U.S. Passport to them in order to clear the package, even though a copy of her passport accompanied the other documents and she has emailed another copy of her passport and visa to them as well. We have advised her not to send them her passport. What do we do now? We called FedEx and they said they could send them an email to ask if they would accept an alternate document...what kind of alternate document would replace a copy of a passport??

Edited by armenii