Roof racks

cooked

Maybe this belongs on the general forum but here goes. Many vehicles have roof racks but I never see them being used and I cannot find an explanation. I can generally work out most Thai-thainess things but this one has me puzzled. Especially as you see all kinds of crazy loading 'techniques'. I am thinking about getting one myself because I need one and not for decoration.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

a bit bored? ok I will play along. Sometimes, but not everyday will I strap something to the racks. Could be a bicycle, could be some wood, it could even be a moose, if we had mooses here.

seatbelts? every car has them but rarely do people use them, especially in the rear....

Edited by bkkjames

Don't forget the negative 10% fuel economy when driving...

Neal, you can see my avatar to the left, you can confirm I lose 10% gas mileage cause I have roof racks? I can appreciate they must cause a little drag but 10% seems a bit high - perhaps over to mythbusters for a definitive answer :)

Don't forget the negative 10% fuel economy when driving...

Neal, you can see my avatar to the left, you can confirm I lose 10% gas mileage cause I have roof racks? I can appreciate they must cause a little drag but 10% seems a bit high - perhaps over to mythbusters for a definitive answer smile.png

Well you picture is very small and lacking detail. So I would say what you have is not a roof rack I don't see any cross rails only longitudinal rails. If so what you have are the attachment points for a roof rack.

If what I see is correct then what you have probably doesn't affect you fuel economy but you can't put anything on the rack as I said it doesn't have any cross rails. If however it does have cross rails making it a proper roof rack and you believe it doesn't affect your fuel economy please carry on, Mythbusters or no mythbusters. But hey if you only believe one source!

Just search for <Fuel economy of a roof rack> or similar phrases.

Mate it has cross rails and i am sure it does cause a bit of drag but 10% just seemed high to me.

When i lose sleep over it, i will consider removing them. I reckon that i waste more fuel sitting in traffic in one week than the roof rails do a year on highways.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mate it has cross rails and i am sure it does cause a bit of drag but 10% just seemed high to me.

When i lose sleep over it, i will consider removing them. I reckon that i waste more fuel sitting in traffic in one week than the roof rails do a year on highways.

Also you have to take into account yours is only a pickup so only has a 1/2 size roof.

Also you have to take into account yours is only a pickup so only has a 1/2 size roof.

exactly, so I only lose 5%. I am sure if we put our heads together we could get it down to a + 5%.

I reckon to start, the meaner and bigger I can get my truck (including roof racks) - the more march / yaris types will get out of my way easier thus saving me additional fuel having to wait behind them while trying to turn - get through the mall parking lot and so, saving me valuable time fuel and engine wear. I could even strap some ambulance type lights on the top improving my commute times, again saving fuel.

I would like to thank the OP for raising this topic and I encourage everyone out there to go get some roof racks immediately :)

Here ya go

So I just put my yakima rack setup up on my camry, and noticed all of a sudden I have less then usual gas mileage. I used to get about 25-27mpg . I just filled up today after having the racks on for a week or so and I only got 23mpg? Can other people chime in if this is true. Im going to be putting a hitch rack on my xb but for now this is going to do I cant believe it effects the mileage this much.

During the summer, when families are on vacation, it's a common sight to see SUVs with roof racks loaded with luggage. What does this do to fuel economy? We broke this test into two parts: with empty roof rails (many of which are left up all year long) and then loaded with a cooler and suitcase.

• Aerodynamic effects of roof rails: When compared with cruise control set at 65 mph, adding the cross rails of a roof rack (and driving with cruise control set at 65 mph) caused a 1 percent loss in fuel economy from 27.2 mpg (without cross rails) to 27 mpg.
  • Aerodynamic effects of carrying luggage on the roof: When compared with cruise control set at 65 mph, adding a suitcase and cooler (and driving with cruise control set at 65 mph) caused a 21 percent loss in fuel economy from 27.2 mpg (without the luggage) to 21.6 mpg.

Here ya go

So I just put my yakima rack setup up on my camry, and noticed all of a sudden I have less then usual gas mileage. I used to get about 25-27mpg . I just filled up today after having the racks on for a week or so and I only got 23mpg? Can other people chime in if this is true. Im going to be putting a hitch rack on my xb but for now this is going to do I cant believe it effects the mileage this much.

During the summer, when families are on vacation, it's a common sight to see SUVs with roof racks loaded with luggage. What does this do to fuel economy? We broke this test into two parts: with empty roof rails (many of which are left up all year long) and then loaded with a cooler and suitcase.

• Aerodynamic effects of roof rails: When compared with cruise control set at 65 mph, adding the cross rails of a roof rack (and driving with cruise control set at 65 mph) caused a 1 percent loss in fuel economy from 27.2 mpg (without cross rails) to 27 mpg.
  • Aerodynamic effects of carrying luggage on the roof: When compared with cruise control set at 65 mph, adding a suitcase and cooler (and driving with cruise control set at 65 mph) caused a 21 percent loss in fuel economy from 27.2 mpg (without the luggage) to 21.6 mpg.

basically what you are saying is don't go on vacation with the family. clear. :)

Here ya go

basically what you are saying is don't go on vacation with the family. clear. smile.png

A few degrees difference in temperature will change FE by 1% too - so if you have empty roof racks fitted, just drive when it's cooler :P

Edited by IMHO

if i drive 5km slower than normal, it probably has an effect on the drag ratio of the roof racks (maybe someone can do the math)? If I avoid windy bridges and drive only behind big trucks hauling stuff I can probably save a bit on fuel as well.

As for luggage on top, that's why I have the back of the truck. If it's more than that, she stays home.