Bring my Thai registered car to Europe on holiday - Crazy or possible?

Hi!

I own a "Ultimate driving machine" in Thailand which ultimately should be driving on the German autobahn, and I am dreaming about driving it on the infamous Nürburgring. I spend one or two months in Europe every summer, and I have been playing with the idea of bringing my car with me on holiday. Of course I would be on a plane, and I guess the car would have be stuck on some boat for a few weeks.

- Is this possible?

- Do know anyone who have done anything similar?

- Would I need some special permits?

- Where and how would I start .. ?

I have seen cars in Thailand with European license plates. Talked to a french guy once on the Thai-Cambodian border. He drove a french registered old Land Rover, through Turkey, Pakistan, India...etc all the way to Thailand.

I know it might sound a bit crazy, but it's a serious question :)

Is that the car in your avatar you are thinking of taking to Germany ???

If so, it would be cheaper to buy one new in Germany (and also easier) then taking it with you

Sorry, but forget it

Respect

wai.gif

If so, it would be cheaper to buy one new in Germany (and also easier) then taking it with you

Sorry, but forget it

Respect

wai.gif

They are at least 30,000 Euroes 2nd hand in Germany, so I dont think shipping would cost that much?

Sorry, but forget it

Respect

wai.gif

They are at least 30,000 Euroes 2nd hand in Germany, so I dont think shipping would cost that much?

Oke

What about transporting it from the Harbor (?? Hamburg ??? 500 Km ++ or Rotterdam ??? 400 Km ++) to the Nürburgring (remember your car ain't road legal)

what about damage during transport ?

what about delay ?

what about the time it will take ? single trip 4-6 weeks ?? excluding time at customs back in Germany (or Holland) and don't even wanna think about the time when it comes back into Thailand

Maybe I am wrong about this (and someone will come along shorty for sure to correct me ;) ) but I think you better forget it !

:wai:

Oke

What about transporting it from the Harbor (?? Hamburg ??? 500 Km ++ or Rotterdam ??? 400 Km ++) to the Nürburgring (remember your car ain't road legal)

what about damage during transport ?

what about delay ?

what about the time it will take ? single trip 4-6 weeks ?? excluding time at customs back in Germany (or Holland) and don't even wanna think about the time when it comes back into Thailand

Maybe I am wrong about this (and someone will come along shorty for sure to correct me wink.png ) but I think you better forget it !

wai.gif

Every year I go back, and drive around in boring rentals.. If the car wouldn't be road legal with Thai plates, it wouldn't be any point, would it. As I would use it to drive around Europe for two months.

Damage during transport - would be covered by transport insurance?

Delay? Yea, that could happen I guess. But I haven't found out how much time a cargo ship takes.

Sorry, but forget it

Respect

wai.gif

rent?

usually it isnt impossible to find speciality car rentals.

considering your cost exporting your car from here, and your lost time and possible nerves achieving this...i think renting is a great deal.

• Like 1

Contact these people in Bangkok, they are a wholy owned German company that do import/export for a living and can tell you exactly what the costs are and whether an internal carnet will work!

Ralf Schneider
Managing Director

SENATOR INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS LTD.
2nd Fl. Permpoom Bldg.
32 Sukhumvit Soi 87
Bangjak, Bangkok 10260
Thailand

Tel: +66-2-3114408 Ext. 100
Fax: +66-2-3114409
Mobil: +66-81-8488171
Email :
[email protected]
Internet: http://www.senator-international.com

You can drive a vehicle on a carnet...THe problem is do you have about twice the Thai value of the vehicle to put in a locked account with say a thai bank in order to get one.

The other problem is that you can officially only temporarily export a Thai vehicle for I believe 7 days.

If you do get a carnet for it I suggest you will have less trouble if you drive to Malasia and export it from there. also return to there.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Contact these people in Bangkok, they are a wholy owned German company that do import/export for a living and can tell you exactly what the costs are and whether an internal carnet will work!

Ralf Schneider

Managing Director

SENATOR INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS LTD.

2nd Fl. Permpoom Bldg.

32 Sukhumvit Soi 87

Bangjak, Bangkok 10260

Thailand

Tel: +66-2-3114408 Ext. 100

Fax: +66-2-3114409

Mobil: +66-81-8488171

Email : [email protected]

Internet: http://www.senator-international.com

Great advise. Thanks!

seen many cars in London with arabic numberplates so if they can get away with it why not a thai numberplate?

Well in the summer, you do .. Until a police crackdown where they load them onto flatbeds and haul them away.

@mortenaa - For the Ring get the Ringtaxi with Sabine Schmitz, who is one of the most experienced driver over there, and just enjoy it -

And the most luck would be to go with the alltime best driver of the world: Walter Röhrl -

Every year I go back, and drive around in boring rentals..

Why not use the opportunity to rent something that is not available here or not common here. Isn't that the beauty of travelling? They have different stuff.

Follow your dreams if you need a hobby. I'm leaning towards the Malaysian route. Probably easier.

Edited by VocalNeal