Insight into the Russian tourism demographic and why it is younger

Jingthing

Is Russia about to annex Pattaya??? whistling.gif

A year ago my three star hotel in Pattaya had all English brochures on the counter and you heard English spoken around the pool. Now all the broachers are in Russian and you hardly hear any English spoken. Walking Street used to be all Thai girls. Now European Cabarets are cropping up all over the place, and ice cold Vodka bars (why would a Russian want more cold?). The restaurants have Russian menus and are beginning to hire Russian hostesses. I went to a coffee shop last time I was there and the Thai gals were overwhelmed by all the Russians shouting demand their orders, speaking Russian. The girls were looking at them like "what the f . . . now we have to learn to speak Russian to keep this miserable job?" And when these big fat loud drunken Russian men come into the go-go bars wanting to pick one of these petite gals - you can see them cower - they don't like Russian men and don't want to go. Pattaya is changing fast, and yes if they aren't careful it will be all Russian mafia run and turn into a place people like me no longer want to visit. Maybe those beautiful Isaan girls should come to Chiang Mai instead.

• Like 1

If their numbers keep growing, they may be able to pass a referendum to join the Russian Federation.

I'll remember to take care not to shove back too hard in defense at Russians when boarding baht buses, or the Putin might come in to "protect" them.

If Putin ever comes to Pattaya and decides that he likes what he sees, we'll be in trouble. One full-service soapy and Pattaya is toast.

They go there because it's bitter cold in the Russian winter. Maybe life expectancy will increase now that more can afford to escape the winter

Sweden, Norway, Finland are extremely cold also and people there have a high average life span and a high level of good health.

Lots of people from those countries winter in Thailand also. What factors were taken into account in coming to the ops finding regarding life expectancy ? Bear in mind that the op is known to be Anti Russia and Anti Putin, so his sources always come from an anti Russian slant.

Lots of people from those countries winter in Thailand also. What factors were taken into account in coming to the ops finding regarding life expectancy ? Bear in mind that the op is known to be Anti Russia and Anti Putin, so his sources always come from an anti Russian slant.

I thought most people knew about this already. Your skepticism would be like someone saying Americans are a very obese people but you're anti-American so I doubt the truth of that. Pretty already know Americans are an obese people already, it's not generally an assertion that you really have to "prove" to reasonably informed people.

I'll ignore your general snarky and irrelevant personal comments. On Putin, no apologies for my disdain, he's a dictator and now has stolen land from a foreign country, but really this topic isn't exactly directly about Putin anyway.

You asked for sources about male life expectancy in Russia. Here goes, mate. Consider this settled.

http://en.ria.ru/russia/20050815/41155931.html

MOSCOW, August 15 (RIA Novosti) - The life expectancy of Russian men is the lowest in Europe, the Federal Service for State Statistics said Monday.

According to documents received by RIA Novosti, life expectancy for men in Russia is 58.8 years, whereas in Ukraine it is 62.6 years. Russia's women are expected to live to 72 years, trailed only by Turkey (71) and Moldova (71.6).

The low life expectancy of Russia's population is linked to cardiovascular diseases and other factors that cause premature death such as accidents, poisonings and injuries.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/feb/11/russia

Sociologists agree that alcoholism is the main reason so many Russian men fail to reach their 60th birthday. During the late 1980s, life expectancy went up when Mikhail Gorbachev launched a successful campaign against excessive drinking. In the 1990s, under the less-than-teetotal Boris Yeltsin, the figure sank dramatically. Despite a tiny recent improvement, Russian men continue to die before old age.
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

A year ago my three star hotel in Pattaya had all English brochures on the counter and you heard English spoken around the pool. Now all the broachers are in Russian and you hardly hear any English spoken. Walking Street used to be all Thai girls. Now European Cabarets are cropping up all over the place, and ice cold Vodka bars (why would a Russian want more cold?). The restaurants have Russian menus and are beginning to hire Russian hostesses. I went to a coffee shop last time I was there and the Thai gals were overwhelmed by all the Russians shouting demand their orders, speaking Russian. The girls were looking at them like "what the f . . . now we have to learn to speak Russian to keep this miserable job?" And when these big fat loud drunken Russian men come into the go-go bars wanting to pick one of these petite gals - you can see them cower - they don't like Russian men and don't want to go. Pattaya is changing fast, and yes if they aren't careful it will be all Russian mafia run and turn into a place people like me no longer want to visit. Maybe those beautiful Isaan girls should come to Chiang Mai instead.

You have a good point about the big fat loud drunken Russian men.

Rest assured, we all know the petite go go gals prefer the big fat loud drunken (smelly) non russian farang men over their russian counterparts on most days unless they dont have a customer.

They go there because it's bitter cold in the Russian winter. Maybe life expectancy will increase now that more can afford to escape the winter

"They" does not include very many OLDER Russian men. Because they're largely dead.

I understand better why the Russian ladies of a certain age are giving me the eye all the time.

I'm breathing!

Not wanting to piss on Jt's parade but woman of pretty much ALL nationalities have a sixth sense about spotting the non-heterosexual.They smile because you are no 'threat'... in addition to your not looking too shabby (or so I've bee told).

"They" does not include very many OLDER Russian men. Because they're largely dead.

I understand better why the Russian ladies of a certain age are giving me the eye all the time.

I'm breathing!

Not wanting to piss on Jt's parade but woman of pretty much ALL nationalities have a sixth sense about spotting the non-heterosexual.They smile because you are no 'threat'... in addition to your not looking too shabby (or so I've bee told).

You're wrong but believe what you like. I know a come hither look when I see it, mate!

Pattaya (even with it's obvious filth and ugliness)

Oh...you must be seeking out the seedy side of Pattaya...

Pattaya has much to offer which is neither filthy nor ugly...

Edited by ggt

I thought most people knew about this already. Your skepticism would be like someone saying Americans are a very obese people but you're anti-American so I doubt the truth of that. Pretty already know Americans are an obese people already, it's not generally an assertion that you really have to "prove" to reasonably informed people.

I'll ignore your general snarky and irrelevant personal comments. On Putin, no apologies for my disdain, he's a dictator and now has stolen land from a foreign country, but really this topic isn't exactly directly about Putin anyway.

You asked for sources about male life expectancy in Russia. Here goes, mate. Consider this settled.

http://en.ria.ru/russia/20050815/41155931.html

MOSCOW, August 15 (RIA Novosti) - The life expectancy of Russian men is the lowest in Europe, the Federal Service for State Statistics said Monday.

According to documents received by RIA Novosti, life expectancy for men in Russia is 58.8 years, whereas in Ukraine it is 62.6 years. Russia's women are expected to live to 72 years, trailed only by Turkey (71) and Moldova (71.6).

The low life expectancy of Russia's population is linked to cardiovascular diseases and other factors that cause premature death such as accidents, poisonings and injuries.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/feb/11/russia

Sociologists agree that alcoholism is the main reason so many Russian men fail to reach their 60th birthday. During the late 1980s, life expectancy went up when Mikhail Gorbachev launched a success<deleted>l campaign against excessive drinking. In the 1990s, under the less-than-teetotal Boris Yeltsin, the figure sank dramatically. Despite a tiny recent improvement, Russian men continue to die before old age.

You base it all on one small paragraph, then supplement it with the usual Anti Putin rhetoric

In most countries, the happiness curve bottoms out somewhere around middle age - 47 in the U.S. and 41 in the U.K., for instance. This usually happens long before the average person is expected to die, with one major exception: Russia. In Russia the curve doesn't bottom out until age 91. Essentially, life under Putin is one continuous downward spiral into despair.

... In Russia, the only thing to look forward to is death's sweet embrace.

Here is a different poll that shows it's 69 years. But how can that be ?

Looks like it's increasing year on year under Putin

http://countryeconomy.com/demography/life-expectancy/russia

P.S. Americans aren't an obese people. Some Americans are obese as are peoples from all countries

Edited by I Like Thai

Gents, they come to Pattaya because it is very cheap compared to other places.... I worked in Russia and majority of them are straggling to make ends meet in life back home over and above want to travel as well///

P.S. Americans aren't an obese people. Some Americans are obese as are peoples from all countries

No in your link the MALE expectancy in 2011 is shown 63.2 not 69. Still quite low. The links I showed before were talking about males ... not averages of males and females.

You insist on being anally literal for what purpose, sport or something? Saying Americans are an obese people is understood as to mean there are a lot of obese people in the USA relatively to other countries. What silly person would actually believe that statement asserts that ALL Americans are obese? I mean really you're just playing games here. Anyway, my latest understanding is that the USA is the SECOND most obese country in the world, following Mexico at number one. The UK and Australia also rate high in such surveys.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Everyone should just admit that Pattaya is already trashed by the Russians, Phuket will be next. When does it end? The Thai people are so into tourist money, that they will let there country be trashed. Isn't that sad?

The Russians have trashed Pattaya? Can you give an example?

The obesity ratings I mentioned before referred to LARGE POPULATION nations only. Actually there are very small population nations, generally Pacific islands, that rate even higher obesity levels. Back to Russians ... how obese are they?

This link is from 2005, but surprise surprise more obese than I thought!

Russian obesity is comparable to American

http://english.pravda.ru/health/14-01-2005/7597-fat-0/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Pattaya is a place most of us want to avoid anyhow, Russians or no Russians. It's full of lowlifes and skanks.

Edited by EASYDOGG

I always thought that Russian tourists are young simply because the old ones have already drunk themselves to death.

The Scandinavians in my condo building are much classier, and despite apparently being paralytic most of the time they do seem to hang on to a ripe old age. Or maybe they just look ripe?

I always thought that Russian tourists are young simply because the old ones have already drunk themselves to death.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying ...

But there are older Russian ladies here, wink wink nod nod ...

Pattaya is a place most of us want to avoid anyhow, Russians or no Russians. It's full of lowlifes and skanks.

Really ??..........haven`t seen any coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, that's kind of what I was saying ...

But there are older Russian ladies here, wink wink nod nod ...

Got to hand it to you, JT - over fifty thousand posts and still no single statement worthy of note.

No in your link the MALE expectancy in 2011 is shown 63.2 not 69. Still quite low. The links I showed before were talking about males ... not averages of males and females.

You insist on being anally literal for what purpose, sport or something? Saying Americans are an obese people is understood as to mean there are a lot of obese people in the USA relatively to other countries. What silly person would actually believe that statement asserts that ALL Americans are obese? I mean really you're just playing games here. Anyway, my latest understanding is that the USA is the SECOND most obese country in the world, following Mexico at number one. The UK and Australia also rate high in such surveys.

You added the obese Americans part to the thread in an effort to try and go off on a tangent, hoping that you could turn it into an Anti - American thread, then blame someone else. You are very transparent in your efforts.

99 percent of local Thais don't really seem that they will ever go beyond Da, Nyet, Davai, and rarely PRAVDA.

i think PRAVDA( truth) is anyway not part of the thai vocabulary...

That's why I said rarely, but I hear it sometimes.

Got to hand it to you, JT - over fifty thousand posts and still no single statement worthy of note.

That indeed would be a remarkable achievement if it were true!clap2.gif

You would figure just by random chance there would be at least ONE post in there with so called worth of note.

Ever heard of the monkeys writing a novel theory? coffee1.gif

post-37101-0-61269000-1397096718_thumb.jpost-37101-0-76066300-1397097165_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing