American-No Bank Account, No Visa Catch 22. Help please.

"Kasikorn in central pattaya wanted 2500 for insurance, 800 for ATM ..." The 2,500 baht is an offer. Just say No Thanks. The 800 baht is for their most expensive ATM card. Just say No, I want the K-My Debit card. It's 200 baht.

Man, I've seen quite a few posts over the last few weeks of people saying K-bank tried hard to push an expensive debit card (ie..,one with insurance) on them versus the basic 200 baht/year card...and one or two of the posters said the account could only be opened if accepting the higher priced card versus the lower priced card. Maybe the K-bank reps are getting a lot of pressure to push their high end products/services (i.e., the high profit products/services).

I am not fluent in Thai but know how to ask "have to?". If the insurance was necessary and the answer was clearly yes.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"... a letter for all Americans with existing accounts available saying something..."

The Thai press reported late last year that banking privacy laws were the only substantial obstacle to full compliance with FATCA but this could be corrected by a bill in Parliament. Since there is no functioning legislature at the moment, it makes sense that they would in the interim simply notify American account holders of a change in the fine print.

"If the insurance was necessary and the answer was clearly yes. "

You got lied to.

When they told me I had to pay 800 baht for an ATM card I called the Kbank contact center and put that lady on the phone with the bank clerk. The story quickly changed.

Edited by mahjongguy

It is worth noting here that it is not required to have a THAI bank account, just a bank IN Thailand, Citibank, UOB, Standard Chartered etc is fine as far as immigration is concered. Those foreign banks operating in Thailand probably have a different approach to this. Give it a try!

It is worth noting here that it is not required to have a THAI bank account, just a bank IN Thailand, Citibank, UOB, Standard Chartered etc is fine as far as immigration is concered. Those foreign banks operating in Thailand probably have a different approach to this. Give it a try!

Don't necessarily assume their policies would be more American friendly than Thai banks.

Doubt it has to do with OP's American passport. What kind of visa are you on OP? Tourist?

Anyway, try Bangkok Bank. Will let you know if they suddenly turn sour on me at one of the banks I use. Nothing of the sort has happened. I think this has more to do with them wanting to see a visa/work permit or whatever.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the effect of the new banking regulations for Americans has suddenly kicked in. Thai banks, even different branches within the same bank are pretty random in what they will do and not do, what they will require and not require. The lower level staff often simply can't be bothered at Siam Commercial is what I've found, just try another branch or bank until you find with staff that are willing to do their job.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the effect of the new banking regulations for Americans has suddenly kicked in. Thai banks, even different branches within the same bank are pretty random in what they will do and not do, what they will require and not require. The lower level staff often simply can't be bothered at Siam Commercial is what I've found, just try another branch or bank until you find with staff that are willing to do their job.

I don't think anyone has said that there is going to be any real clarity on any changes THAILAND-WIDE anytime soon. Something is happening. That is a fact. That's all I'm saying. How it will effect specific (and what percentage) Americans in Thailand, using specific banks, with specific account types, how mildly or severely, is just totally UNKNOWABLE at this point. At this point one report or a 100 reports is just raw data giving us very rough CLUES. It's really going to take time to make sure thing conclusions. I think maybe even a year. Perhaps much sooner. But not today or tomorrow or next week -- forget about that, it's not in the cards. To those dissing me saying I am overblowing this and rumor mongering, I really don't care what you think, because I have done no such thing. I am just saying this is not nothing, so what something it is we need to follow this and figure it out TOGETHER.

Edited by Jingthing

How about Bangkok Bank? they have a branch in New York

29 Broadway, New York, NY ‎

(212) 422-8200

I dont see how they would let you open an account in NYC but not honor that account in Thailand

You cannot open personal accounts at Bangkok Bank in New York. You can use that branch to make deposits to an existing Bangkok Bank account that you opened at a branch in Thailand.

O/P: I am American and opened an account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand. As others have said, you may need to try a few different branches before succeeding, but if you try in areas where there are many farang residents it will probably be easier. I would suggest you not enter the bank in a tearing-my-hair-out super American dramatic fashion. It tends to close doors rather than opening them ... and I say that as an American.

Also as suggested, you can apply for an O-A visa in the US. You don't have to have money on deposit in Thailand for that. And, by exiting and re-entering Thailand just before the visa expires after one year, you'll get another year's permission to stay. When that second year nears its end, you can apply for an extension of stay in Thailand and will then, hopefully, have managed to open a bank account here.

I got an O-A before I started my retirement here. Some people think it's a hassle, but I found it easy enough to do and I wasn't even in the US at the time.

Edited by Suradit69

I had no problems with opening a couple new accounts with Bangkok Bank a few months ago. Then the branch manager knows me. I think there's more to this story. Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand that deals with the US Treasury. That's because of the ACH access through the branch in New York. It's not because of any additional US banking requirements for Americans to be turned down at Bangkok Bank! More like the kind of Visa OP's here on now. Probably a Tourist Visa or Border Stamp verses a Non-Imigrant O Visa with a couple months remaining. Or possibly the OP doesn't have a residence letter from Immigration.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Yes must have the Op's location and to what extent he had for required paper work! Thai Banks have to many bank policy variables especially since each has its own provincial policy's. Best case scenario is to call and inquirer if they have a English speaking associate to help with questions. I'm American, I could go into detail about running down banks in Thailand but from my experiences K Bank was the easier of the banks to obtain a account( PB,and proof of where your residing ).

Edited by riclag

You know at this stage, and I think for some time to come, probably many months, someone saying I had no problem recently opening an account as American here OR I was told we can't open an account for you and the reason is you're American are both not any cause to make any global conclusions about how this is ultimately going to shake out. I realize some people feel an emotional need for black or white definitive answers on this, but in my view, those can't possibly exist here yet.

Yep, just keep trying various branches and you WILL eventually get one.

Indeed, as enforcement of policy varies widely and radically among branches of the same bank. Since the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, you'll slip in between the cracks eventually!

Many years ago, I was a professional writer for an international bank. Every time we had a new promotion, program or policy, it was my job to put it into a technical writing format and disseminate it to all branches. Employees were regularly quizzed on the content as part of their periodic performance evaluation. They had to know "the manual" backwards and forwards. Based on my decade-plus experience with Thai banks, I don't think that happens here--at least on the employee-end of the process. Here, I suspect "the manual" collects dust on some branch manager's shelf, and he just continues "business as usual" according to his personal style. Some know about the new, onerous requirements about handling Americans' bank accounts, while others are totally oblivious of it, I'm sure.

• Like 1

You just ry another bank or even a different branch of the same bank. Best is to try banks in an area with a lot of foreigners. Eventually you will succeed.

You can keep your cash in an American bank and get your visa in the US.

"Kasikorn in central pattaya wanted 2500 for insurance, 800 for ATM ..." The 2,500 baht is an offer. Just say No Thanks. The 800 baht is for their most expensive ATM card. Just say No, I want the K-My Debit card. It's 200 baht.

Man, I've seen quite a few posts over the last few weeks of people saying K-bank tried hard to push an expensive debit card (ie..,one with insurance) on them versus the basic 200 baht/year card...and one or two of the posters said the account could only be opened if accepting the higher priced card versus the lower priced card. Maybe the K-bank reps are getting a lot of pressure to push their high end products/services (i.e., the high profit products/services).

I am not fluent in Thai but know how to ask "have to?". If the insurance was necessary and the answer was clearly yes.

I have no doubt some K-banks are telling new customers that...but you got took...you got lied to...they did a hard sell on you. I remember a post from a couple months ago where the poster found out he didn't have to take the higher price debit card that included insurance....he went back a few days later to complain and talked to the manager...they cancelled the high price card, gave him a refund, then issued him the regular debit card he wanted.

It's always best to enter banks together with a professional Thai friend, i.e. a secretary or an older person who is well dressed, polite and demanding white collar type. That way bank employees will feel urged to do their job and not find excuses.

Usually, banks will accept Americans and other foreigners when they have a valid visa in their passport.

If he's using a bank account method to get a retirement extension in Thailand (800K or combo method) then yes he will NEED a Thai bank account. You're assuming he has 65K income. Don't assume that. Also, please don't suggest that people lie to the U.S. embassy and Thai immigration about fake income either! That is not a solution.

Even without the need for a Thai bank account for immigration, it would not be convenient to live full time in Thailand without a Thai bank account. I have multiple ones which right now seems to be better than having just one.

He hasnt got the visa yet,but wants to set up acc.to deposit 800k.He can show that amount in a US bank and get OA visa in the US.He can then withdraw money using US card.No need to have Thai bank ever,but a bit more costly.

Bangkok bank stipulates that in order to open an account with them, you will either need to produce work permit or ED visa with confirmation from the school.

You don't necessarily have to open a Thai bank within a tourist area. I reside in Greater Bangkok and hold a Kasikorn account together with a Krungsri account which I opened some years ago when I resided in Pathumthani at Future Rangsit.

Certainly I would be very surprised if you have problem opening a savings account with Bank of Audhya (Krungsri), anywhere in Thailand.

โชคดี

Sorry that is not true.

They may ask you what your visa is ... but as I can testify it works with a Non O multi entry visa.

Because that's what I had and they opened a 2nd account for me (already had a joint account with Thai girlfriend then) im my name because I had that Non O visa.

I opened my Bangkok Bank 3nd account in October 2010 at the Bangkok Bank Branch on Sukhumvit Soi 43 in my name there.

It was the 3rd bank i trried, and the fact that I already had a joint account there with my then Thai girlfriend probably made them accept me.

They may tell you such things as you need a work permit, need to own a condo, have a long term lease, or need a "letter from your embessy" before you can open an account.

But, really, all those are excuses.

Just keep trying banks until you find one that agrees to open an account for you.

NancyL

"I doubt they'd turn away $10,000 US cash for an opening deposit"

Oh that's brilliant, just walk into any bank with a wad of cash. Just for fun, try that stunt at ANY bank in the US now. Just what do you think a key purpose of the FATCA law is?

He is not depositing in US but Th.I have walked in plenty of times with more than the above,no probs,no id sometimes to change from $to baht.Thats why these laws are being put in place but life goes on in Th.

The information below taken from the Thai Embassy web site - also below, says (to my interpretation) that one can process an "O-A" Visa request while in the United States and that the required funds have to be an 'equivalent' to 800,000 baht... Then it goes on to explain that the Extension to stay after the first year under the Visa requires the 800,000 to be in Thai baht. To me this means that if one meets all requirements the 800,000 can be in an American bank (funds being equivalent to 800,000 baht). In this case - all processing would have to be done via the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. prior to going to Thailand --- it is there to read...

http://dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Non-Imglong.aspx

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

Purpose of Visit:-
This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:-
- Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
- Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
- Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
- Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
- Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

Required Documents:- (Required 3 sets: 1 original and 2 copies)
- Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
- Visa application form completely filled out
(download)
- Addition Application form (download)
- A medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (download)
- Three passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
- A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht
- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required
- A letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months)
- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence

Submitting application by mail
Application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service:-
1. USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail: use only Flat Rate Mailing Envelope with $ 19.95 postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)

Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.

Visa Processing Fees:-
$200.- (multiple entries)>
Visa processing fees are payable in money order or cashier check made payable to “The Royal Thai Embassy”.

Validity of a visa:-
multiple entries : Validity of a visa is 1 year.

Period of stay:-
Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of 1 year.

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom
· Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.
· At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand . The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.
· Foreigner may report to the competent authority by post and should provide the following:
- A report form (Tor Mor 47).
- A copy of passport pages showing the foreigner’s photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp.
- A copy of the previous receipt of acknowledgement.
- A self-addressed envelope with postage affixed. Such documents must be sent to the Office of the Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road , Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120, and must be submitted 7 days before the end of every 90-day period. A receipt of acknowledgement will be given and should be used for future correspondence.
· Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.

If he's using a bank account method to get a retirement extension in Thailand (800K or combo method) then yes he will NEED a Thai bank account. You're assuming he has 65K income. Don't assume that. Also, please don't suggest that people lie to the U.S. embassy and Thai immigration about fake income either! That is not a solution.

Even without the need for a Thai bank account for immigration, it would not be convenient to live full time in Thailand without a Thai bank account. I have multiple ones which right now seems to be better than having just one.

He hasnt got the visa yet,but wants to set up acc.to deposit 800k.He can show that amount in a US bank and get OA visa in the US.He can then withdraw money using US card.No need to have Thai bank ever,but a bit more costly.

That would work for about two years. Then he would need a new O-A visa back in the U.S. Most people are wishing to get Thailand retirement extensions by then!

Yes, it well known here that for O-A visas the funds certainly do not need to be in Thailand! But long term retirees generally don't do serial O-A visas. Rather they go for retirement extensions in Thailand in which case if using a bank method, the funds must be in a THAI bank.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Also - OP (age 50 and / or over) could process the much simpler 'O' (not O-A) ... go to Thailand (make Border runs every 90 days for a year) and have tons of time to resolve the Finding the Bank issue and other things as well. Just go to a Consular office (General Counsel in the USA) - easy --- buy lots of time while on the ground in Thailand -- convert to 'O-A at any time after all requirements are met including the Bank Account.

Also - OP (age 50 and / or over) could process the much simpler 'O' (not O-A) ... go to Thailand (make Border runs every 90 days for a year) and have tons of time to resolve the Finding the Bank issue and other things as well. Just go to a Consular office (General Counsel in the USA) - easy --- buy lots of time while on the ground in Thailand -- convert to 'O-A at any time after all requirements are met including the Bank Account.

Are ONE YEAR O visas just for being over (for one year) really easy to get in the U.S. now? That's news to me! I'm skeptical.

I have Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank, and am an American. I would try other KKorn/BBank branches.

I've found there to be quite a difference from branch to branch.

Wouldn,t hurt to have a Thai girlfriend with you.

Until the OP tell us where he is located , as was asked but not answered in post #2, we are spinning our wheels trying to help him

We all should know by now that where you try and open a bank account is the key to getting one opened. Easy in Pattaya or Bangkok, not so in Issan

So, OP, once again where in Thailand are you located. Give us that morsel of information and maybe someone who is located in the same place can help you with real world experience

EDIT: It would also be helpful to know if you are on a Tourist Visa, Visa on Arrival, or Visa Exempt, maybe your visitor status is the problem, not the nationality of your passport

Sorry I didn't reply sooner and I will try to give some more information. first thanks everyone for all the information. I haven't made it through all the pages yet. I will try to give more information. I was floored that there are four pages of replies.

-I'm in bangkok

-I have a visa on arrival

-I don't have a pension but have a lot of money saved up. I won't get social security for over a decade

-I probably could lie to the embassy and get a form and I thought of that but I don't have a monthly pension and frankly I was just scared to lie as it is probably a crime of some sort but I suppose it's maybe not that big a deal.

-I've tried a few banks and I will keep trying some more as suggested and I tried one bank (the first one I tried) in Pattaya

-no one has even asked me about a visa or work permit

-I did not tell them I was putting in 800,000 baht just I wanted to open an account. My plan was to open the account with three thousand baht or so and wire in the rest when I was home. I thought it would be nice to get an atm card too.

-I probably messed up at a couple places as I just started by saying do you take americans as that is a good way to get a no but at K bank I had to wait, I filled out a bunch of forms, they copied my passport and stuff and THEN I was told no americans and it not only didn't get me an account but wasted a lot of time that afternoon

I will try to keep a closer watch on the thread and reply sooner to questions. thanks for all the information and like I said I am still working through the thread but saw a couple guys wanting more info

thanks

Edited by rastlin

How about Bangkok Bank? they have a branch in New York

29 Broadway, New York, NY ‎

(212) 422-8200

I dont see how they would let you open an account in NYC but not honor that account in Thailand

You cannot open personal accounts at Bangkok Bank in New York. You can use that branch to make deposits to an existing Bangkok Bank account that you opened at a branch in Thailand.

O/P: I am American and opened an account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand. As others have said, you may need to try a few different branches before succeeding, but if you try in areas where there are many farang residents it will probably be easier. I would suggest you not enter the bank in a tearing-my-hair-out super American dramatic fashion. It tends to close doors rather than opening them ... and I say that as an American.

Also as suggested, you can apply for an O-A visa in the US. You don't have to have money on deposit in Thailand for that. And, by exiting and re-entering Thailand just before the visa expires after one year, you'll get another year's permission to stay. When that second year nears its end, you can apply for an extension of stay in Thailand and will then, hopefully, have managed to open a bank account here.

I got an O-A before I started my retirement here. Some people think it's a hassle, but I found it easy enough to do and I wasn't even in the US at the time.

thanks I will look at that visa option and yes I was a little out of sorts getting turned down and laughed at the tearing out my hair comment because that's what I actually said. but I have not been shouting or yelling or anything like that just frustrated.

I had no problems with opening a couple new accounts with Bangkok Bank a few months ago. Then the branch manager knows me. I think there's more to this story. Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand that deals with the US Treasury. That's because of the ACH access through the branch in New York. It's not because of any additional US banking requirements for Americans to be turned down at Bangkok Bank! More like the kind of Visa OP's here on now. Probably a Tourist Visa or Border Stamp verses a Non-Imigrant O Visa with a couple months remaining. Or possibly the OP doesn't have a residence letter from Immigration.

I don't have those other visas and I never even heard of a residence letter so I don't have that either. I guess I didn't really think this through honestly I just figured I'd walk into a bank and open a account with no big deal. I heard from lots of guys it was easy but I had heard you have to go to different branches but maybe those other things I don't have are part of the reason but I was told directly no when they found out I had an American passport but maybe there were other reasons too