Cruel or irresponsible and stupid Songkran jerks?

willyumiii

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one year getting a bucket of water with ice cubes in it thrown at me, problem was I wad sat in the back of a pick-up doing 30kph , that really stung and ruined the day too!

I honestly think there was no intent to harm, they just didnt realise what hurt or damage that can cause to someone in a moving vehicle.

Edited by CharlieH

You will know their feeling toward you when they actually put that bucket of ice cold water over your head.

Some will throw ice cold water, don't know why, no real need for that.

Expect to have caught a cold after Songkhran.

Drink fuelled farangs on Songkran is not a very good scenerio.drink filled sex mongers even worse.They think its a good excuse to shoot girls between the legs and their breasts,even touch them,as if its ok on Songkran

Ok I will go along with drunk farangs ....stupid sometimes but rarely deadly.

But I have see what drunk thai males can do (usually late afternoon when tired, and hammered).

I had an idiot cow in Patpong dump a bucket full of water mixed with laundry detergent over my head many years ago. That was intentionally nasty. Yes there are dikcheads out there, Thai and farang

I agree, i was in Nakhon Phanom 6 yrs ago, not a foreigner in sight, and i had to endure some nasty stuff from local youngsters.

To be fair, when i got my eyes rubbed with menthol powder by a ladyboy in the centre of the town, an old man came to my rescue with a bucket of water to help me rinse my eyes.

No Songkhran for me anymore, thanks, although i enjoy the joyous atmosphere.. Keep it safe, and have fun.

I had an idiot cow in Patpong dump a bucket full of water mixed with laundry detergent over my head many years ago. That was intentionally nasty. Yes there are dikcheads out there, Thai and farang

I agree, i was in Nakhon Phanom 6 yrs ago, not a foreigner in sight, and i had to endure some nasty stuff from local youngsters.

To be fair, when i got my eyes rubbed with menthol powder by a ladyboy in the centre of the town, an old man came to my rescue with a bucket of water to help me rinse my eyes.

No Songkhran for me anymore, thanks, although i enjoy the joyous atmosphere.. Keep it safe, and have fun.

I have 2 young kids and I will be out in the central CBD so will not be pleased if there are any dirty tricks played.

Thai folk 'play Songkran', many Westerns just think that the object to get the other person/people wet,

they treat it as a contest ... not a game.

I don't mind the Westerners who want to get other people wet. It is the ones who purposely set out to annoy other people that bother me. Very few Thais do that and most Westerners don't either, but too many of them do. bah.gif

• Like 1

I strongly condemn such hooliganism.

Have fun but don't spoil other people's fun.

No one has to right to inflict injury (which could have turned out to be a grievous one in the OP's case) on the other person.

Despite the Thai government's regulation of Songkran by cautioning people to play safe, there are people who still resort to such form of 'revelry'.

This just isn't acceptable.

Bugger I still enjoy it. I can put up with the stupid farangs westerners

Took the joy out of it for me a couple of years ago when I got hit in the face with a 2 gallon bucket full of swamp water from the moat by some macho Thai idiot.

Spent the night vomiting and some pills later I vowed not to go again. I missed 1 year and will be back again with vengenance in a fleet of Thai mates jeeps again this year!

• Like 1

Worst I had was near the Cambodian border. Coming out of a long corner on a 900cc bike at about 120kph three very young kids walked into the middle of the road and one launched a bucket of ice water straight at me. The law of physics!!! Hit me like a cricket bat. Fortunately I was ready for it. But man that hurt. I looked back and they were still in the middle of the road back to traffic watching me. I doubt the oldest was more than 9 and not an adult in site.

What could possibly go wrong?

Saying that I will be out on the 19th having fun, but for one day only.

Worst I had was near the Cambodian border. Coming out of a long corner on a 900cc bike at about 120kph three very young kids walked into the middle of the road and one launched a bucket of ice water straight at me. The law of physics!!! Hit me like a cricket bat. Fortunately I was ready for it. But man that hurt. I looked back and they were still in the middle of the road back to traffic watching me. I doubt the oldest was more than 9 and not an adult in site.

What could possibly go wrong?

Saying that I will be out on the 19th having fun, but for one day only.

Pretty stupid to drive 120 kph in a area where people and kids live, but by doing this during songkran only means that you don't have any respect at all.

Have fun this songkran, I only hope you don't kill anybody with your driving.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice assumption but driving at 120kph on a 4 lane highway in what looked to be pure countryside, which has a speed limit of 120kph and is empty doesn't seem that reckless. And this was on 12th April 2012 which, as far as I knew was not songkran. But then I was in the middle of the countryside.

• Like 2

But hey, letting three young kids play on a 4 lane highway unattended is ok for you?

I know, I know this is their country and if I wasn't there no harm would come to them. Don't get any talcum powder on your rose coloured spectacles during songkran.

But hey, letting three young kids play on a 4 lane highway unattended is ok for you?

I know, I know this is their country and if I wasn't there no harm would come to them. Don't get any talcum powder on your rose coloured spectacles during songkran.

Where in your originial reply did you mention that you was driving on a 4 lane hyway? So your second reply is just bs.

Where in your originial reply did you mention that you was driving on a 4 lane hyway? So your second reply is just bs.

I think I was reacting to your assumption that I was:

1 Dangerous and

2 Lacking respect.

This type of presumption does annoy me and I will react. Lazy of you and lazy of me to not give a fuller explanation of my situation so I guess that makes us equal. But somehow I don't think it will.

To answer the question in the headline: yes... cruel and irresponsible.... and a lot more, albeit not as much as that, but on par with lunacy. One does not throw a bucket of water on another three weeks before or after this time of lunacy.

One thing for certain is that on these chaotic days, anyone moving is a target. It is regrettable, but even the most jaded mind can find an affordable and suitable alternative during these chaotic and highly charged, high risk days.

Now that you are educated, I suggest you exercise that intelligent mind of yours and find a suitable alternative to gaining whatever kind of stimulus you deem necessary to gain on such a chaotic occasion.

All the best to you.

'Hey, I am good natured', says the OP.

If you were good-natured you would have never posted what you have.

It never ceases to shock me how readily westeners advertise themselves

without a tiny speck of objectivity. & yet they're lightning-quick to find

fault with others who don't match their preconceptions ... & not just to

find fault, but to freely insult as well.

What ever names you may call others, that is surely what you yourself are.

so why do you (OP) carry your passport around with you. Yes i know it is a law. but i personally dont know anyone that does. and in the 20 years ive lived here i never have. the way i look at it if a police man ever asked my for my passport (and they havent in the past 20 years) then i would rather pay a small fine that risk carry my passport around with me thus risking losing it.

maybe - as you say yourself - you are stupid. anyone that adheres to ridiculous laws is obviously - well a bit stupid.

re. Songkran. think of it this way. there are aprrox 4% nut jobs and sociopaths in society. songkran is the time when they get to show themselves to the rest of the population. 96% of the public behave as normal human beings should.