Broken tree at hotel and now manager wants money

ghworker2010

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't your property and technically you have no rights to alter it regardless of the Palm leaves will eventually grow back. It shows disrespect and a lack of consideration on your part. You apparently never went to the management or owner letting them know that their tree was blocking your view..

You took it on yourself to do what you wanted to do.

If I was the owner I would request you pay too.

Advise... Keep your hands off of things that don't belong to you.

I can't do more then fully agree with this but like to add that start a negative threat about this hotel on one or more of those travel websites is like put a knife in someones back.

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Do you mean American, British or what?

You admitted to breaking the tree or parts of it. Go and apologise and pay up. You do not want the police called, because they will not side with you and can and will use work permits and deportation threats against you. That may well cost you the price of many tree replacements.Lastly do not tell the owner what you will pay up, ask her for her quote first. Then see if you can get a bit of discount. Just don't do it again.

I too ONCE booked a hotel with agoda. NEVER again. The upgraded room had no window was small and was $5.00. more than the hotel price. I could not tell you what I think of agoda without swearing.

And don't forget, agoda's prices are always ++, 10% service charge + VAT. There goes your "discount" down the drain.

• Like 1

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Why are you picking on people from Iceland?

An Eskimo in Thailand????????????????

If the tree was on the beach, then it was not property of the hotel. All beaches are owned by the king and so is a tree that grows on the beach. Not that any hotel, beach bar or so cares (they obviously build their properties on the king's land), however they legally can't do anything about it. And if you get a very good lawyer and you wan't to take it that far you will surely win, but is it worth the hassle?

Should have asked the manager to move the trees out of the way for you. Maybe she would have, or would have moved you to a room with a better view.

Having instead damaged property you have no choice but to pay. As to how much, the actual cost of replacing what you broke as near as you can estimate that plus say 100 baht over that. Perhaps go to a local nursery. If you broke the pots as well as the tree then factor that in to the price as well.

Taking some fronds off of a palm tree....ooooh....uber scary thoughts from the TV members with not much back bone.

I quite often share your feeling about uber scary members, police,bargirl,taxi,fruitvendor,anyvendor, maffias out with death squads to kill if tourist make any move to get justice etc...In this case the guy is totally wrong to start landscaping without talking wt the manager first. I would extremely unhappy if been in owner/managers shoes.Really disrespectful move. Pay and learn something your mama should have teach'd years ago.

If the tree was on the beach, then it was not property of the hotel. All beaches are owned by the king and so is a tree that grows on the beach. Not that any hotel, beach bar or so cares (they obviously build their properties on the king's land), however they legally can't do anything about it. And if you get a very good lawyer and you wan't to take it that far you will surely win, but is it worth the hassle?

There's a sound advise!! WOW!!

There are about as many Ekimos in Thailand as there are in Iceland.

There are about as many Ekimos in Thailand as there are in Iceland.

You mean there are some Eskimo Thaivisa members?

The best thing you can do it write a review on trip advisor, explaining how unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, and disrespectful the manager was. Call her out by name. Defame the place as much as you can. It does have an impact. It will be read. Sounds like she could have handled things a bit better. Or you could have complained about the blocked view and waited to see if there would be a response?

Why on earth would you encourage anyone to deliberately try to destroy someone's business - particularly when they're in the wrong?

I hope the OP DOES Post a defamatory (definition : to damage the reputation of a person or group by saying bad things about them that are not true) review online somewhere and them gets himself sued in a Western court of Law.

It's the owners Property and Business - and therefore it's entirely up to her to make the rules as to what behaviour is or is not acceptable. If the OP was shown the "A4 List" of regulations at Check-in then he has no cause for complaint - if he proceeded to Check-in then he is accepting the rules; there is absolutely no justification for his whining - much less for a deliberate attempt at petty revenge. (I guess there was no "don't damage the garden" note in the rules but they can't cover all possible irresponsible behaviour).

Patrick

The best thing you can do it write a review on trip advisor, explaining how unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, and disrespectful the manager was. Call her out by name. Defame the place as much as you can. It does have an impact. It will be read. Sounds like she could have handled things a bit better. Or you could have complained about the blocked view and waited to see if there would be a response?

This is the worst thing you can do.

What's the hotel owner done wrong?? Nothing.

Ok she's a bit high maintenance but a lot of these hotel/guesthouse owners have to be. A lot of western come here with a bit of cash in there pockets and think they are big boy Charlie's that can do as they please because everyone here has a price.

I bet this guy wouldn't rip branches off a tree in a resort he was staying at in his own country. He would simply go to reception and report that he isn't getting what he was promised (a sea view) and he needs to be moved or receive compensation or a refund.

Write a review on Trip advisor....really!?......SLAP!!!

Because she is thai she is too daft to think about the effect of bad hotel reviews.

What does being Thai have to do with it? And BTW, Thai is spelt with a capital T, which means you are either another racist Thai basher or just someone of low intellect.

Having bad reviews is a hotel management problem, not yours, and I certainly hope the OP is made to pay dear for this, because it`s obvious he has an attitude problem.

Not really fair to the business is it?

Obnoxious guest goes to a hotel, does some damage, and then defames hotel on tripadvisor.

Most travel review sites give the ability to the manager to respond to negative reviews. the OP would look like a right sod if she responded to his review.

It just sounds like she smells an opportunity for money. I have had palm trees in my yard and those things grow back very fast. Of course, it would have been better had the guy actually asked her about it before hacking them off. Still, in my experience, Thais regularly hack off leaves and branches from trees as they know they will grow back in no time. Every once in a while, my wife gets sick of the leaves from the two trees in our front yard and just hacks them to bits--back at home, the tree would die. Here, the tree will be full again in a month or two.