Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

^

Nice route and trip!

How was the seat comfort? Any tingling on fingers and hands after some touring?

Also wondering about the brakes. Are they capable. I have seen two disc brakes at front so i am sure it stops nicely.

You might consider an aftermarket windshield if you want to do more touring on it. Less fatigue that way.

And sorry to hear for the shitty Givi. I am surprised too but i checked their products here once and they look like second class Chinese products. Not like a Givi ten years ago!

Edited by ll2

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good and honest review ttakata.

Sorry to hear about the shitty Givi top box, we have a Shed 33 fitted to my wife's Scoppy and I must say it's been very good and are often fully loaded up and no problems what so ever.

Great writeup ttkata.

Regarding the poor/greedy design on Yamaha's part...the gas tank is bigger.

I bought a new PCX this week (after driving the Tricity). Guess what? There is only one post to hang a helmet strap on.

I had the seat redone with harder foam.

I wanted to blend the seat to one flat plane so you can shift your weight around like on a Nouvo but you can't shave the back down because there is a recess underneath for the helmet.

I didn't want to raise the front because I would lose the walking ability.

So with this 2 tiered seat, you can't really shift your butt around.

I had to get off every hour of riding.

Now that I have a topbox, I might shave the bump down anyway.

I got used to the combined braking and like it a lot.

You can slow the bike down with one hand which is nice.

I really didn't test the brakes' limits because it never rained but with 2x traction and braking; it simply has to be better in theory.

Unlike a big 4 cylinder superbike, there is little to no high frequency vibes coming through the bars.

I was wearing Held race gloves and my hand would get a little numb because of me clenching the bars at 90-100kmh, not vibrations.

I think with the entire engine isolated from the frame of scooters, few vibes get through to the bars.

With any bike with vibes, you can fill the bars with silicone glue and steel ball bearings or ideally tungsten shot.

Givi is a joke, I hope they go out of business.

I got an older E30 with a Dtracker a few years ago and that Monolock system was stupid too.

You could lock the thing without seeing if the lock is actually grasping the top half of the box.

It seems the newest cases are starting to show the top of the lock so you can see if it is really grasping the top half, but many still hide the top like on my old E30.

From my experience, you want as little painted plastic (ABS),or clear reflectors possible because they are made of plastic that is easy to crack.

Sadly the trend is to have as much of this as possible from all the manufacturers.

You want a box that is mostly polypropelene because that material is very hard to crack, fade,or puncture.

The Shad 40 is almost all PP minus the small part of red reflector which is why it is awesome.

Coocase has nice boxes with their remote locking/alarm, but I have yet to get one.

I think the Shad 40 is the best deal going in topboxes; no nonsense and lasts a long time.

It is nice to have a bigger gastank.

I averaged only 40kmL on 95 benzine during the trip but I was riding pretty fast (70-80kmh average) with no attempt to lower my profile, and the bike was carrying ~120kg.

I ran 20 km with the empty fuel light blinking but when I filled up, there was still at least 1.2 liters in the tank if the tank is really 6.6L.

I will try to run a mileage report in Bangkok traffic later.

That's funny about the PCX having only 1 pin.

Are these guys really concerned about saving a few pennies worth of plastic material?

I think it's genuinely a secret conspiracy to sell top boxes.

It's great that the Tricity is only 80K baht but I would have rather paid 100K and have the helmet pins, kickstarter, smarter storage/component layout, and a flat seat.

Hopefully someone from Yamaha stumbles into this thread and adds these features into the next gen model.

Edited by ttakata

No offense but that Yamaha tricity looks like a third grade geometrical problem.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by A1Str8

Agree to disagree maybe both of you? Stop taking over the thread with nonsense.

Yes, II2 - Both front wheels stay on the ground when turning. If you bother looking earlier in the thread there are videos which show this. Even though I've already told you this.

Blah blah blah, continue moaning and ruin this thread or keep on topic and make it helpful for those who really want to know as much as they can about it. Your choice .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My solution was to use the ignore function. ll2 was simply killing the thread for me.

Anyone had a recent quote or bought one? I have seen a few prices on this forum like 79k, 84k, etc. I just went to a Big C supermarket the other day and saw a small Yamaha display and had the Tricity so I asked the price and she quoted me 120260B. Bit high me thinks.

That is out of whack, you should get it in writing on their paper and email Yamaha Thailand.

77,500 in Nakhon Nowhere :)

77,500 in Nakhon Nowhere smile.png

Compare to Europe Anywhere at 179,000 approx.

Perhaps it's time to fill some containers and work the grey market.

Edited by paz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree to disagree maybe both of you? Stop taking over the thread with nonsense.

Yes, II2 - Both front wheels stay on the ground when turning. If you bother looking earlier in the thread there are videos which show this. Even though I've already told you this.

Blah blah blah, continue moaning and ruin this thread or keep on topic and make it helpful for those who really want to know as much as they can about it. Your choice .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My solution was to use the ignore function. ll2 was simply killing the thread for me.

Here we go! Another brick on the wall! Did not like someone stating some simple facts and asking valid questions?

I am not a sheep man. If you want to ignore me, why calling my name?

I had the seat redone with harder foam.

I wanted to blend the seat to one flat plane so you can shift your weight around like on a Nouvo but you can't shave the back down because there is a recess underneath for the helmet.

I didn't want to raise the front because I would lose the walking ability.

So with this 2 tiered seat, you can't really shift your butt around.

I had to get off every hour of riding.

Now that I have a topbox, I might shave the bump down anyway.

I got used to the combined braking and like it a lot.

You can slow the bike down with one hand which is nice.

I really didn't test the brakes' limits because it never rained but with 2x traction and braking; it simply has to be better in theory.

Unlike a big 4 cylinder superbike, there is little to no high frequency vibes coming through the bars.

I was wearing Held race gloves and my hand would get a little numb because of me clenching the bars at 90-100kmh, not vibrations.

I think with the entire engine isolated from the frame of scooters, few vibes get through to the bars.

With any bike with vibes, you can fill the bars with silicone glue and steel ball bearings or ideally tungsten shot.

Givi is a joke, I hope they go out of business.

I got an older E30 with a Dtracker a few years ago and that Monolock system was stupid too.

You could lock the thing without seeing if the lock is actually grasping the top half of the box.

It seems the newest cases are starting to show the top of the lock so you can see if it is really grasping the top half, but many still hide the top like on my old E30.

From my experience, you want as little painted plastic (ABS),or clear reflectors possible because they are made of plastic that is easy to crack.

Sadly the trend is to have as much of this as possible from all the manufacturers.

You want a box that is mostly polypropelene because that material is very hard to crack, fade,or puncture.

The Shad 40 is almost all PP minus the small part of red reflector which is why it is awesome.

Coocase has nice boxes with their remote locking/alarm, but I have yet to get one.

I think the Shad 40 is the best deal going in topboxes; no nonsense and lasts a long time.

It is nice to have a bigger gastank.

I averaged only 40kmL on 95 benzine during the trip but I was riding pretty fast (70-80kmh average) with no attempt to lower my profile, and the bike was carrying ~120kg.

I ran 20 km with the empty fuel light blinking but when I filled up, there was still at least 1.2 liters in the tank if the tank is really 6.6L.

I will try to run a mileage report in Bangkok traffic later.

That's funny about the PCX having only 1 pin.

Are these guys really concerned about saving a few pennies worth of plastic material?

I think it's genuinely a secret conspiracy to sell top boxes.

It's great that the Tricity is only 80K baht but I would have rather paid 100K and have the helmet pins, kickstarter, smarter storage/component layout, and a flat seat.

Hopefully someone from Yamaha stumbles into this thread and adds these features into the next gen model.

Thanks for your comments. It looks like tricity is a capable bike. Checked one at last track day and it looks really nice and commanding.

Enjoy man.

I think concise top boxes are best around with some extra options like electronic lock etc but not the cheapest.

Edited by ll2

The new PCX trip computer says that's it getting 51 kmL. That's 119 MPG! That's on still the first tank and I'm only driving around town. I doubt I've had it over 50 kmh. Fuel consumption goes up at higher speeds. Look to see what you're getting around town.

But 119 MPG around town on the PCX?

It's a Honda trip computer. I don't know how it works. I'd know but the manual is in Thai. I was looking thru it the other day trying to figure out how to secure two helmets. coffee1.gif

I don't remember seeing if the Tricity has a kmL feature, it does have ambient temperature. I wish the PCX had that. It was about 36 the day I had it out.

Wow, that is great mileage.

I'm sure the engine stop is a big part of the PCX's economy.

Even at 40kml (94mpg by US standards) I am happy.

I have been too busy to ride this week but will keep track of the city economy and report in 2 fuel tanks.

My manual is all in Thai too so I don't know what anything means.

When I scroll through my dash button it shows the usual odometer, tripmeters, belt replacement tripmeter, and oil replacement tripmeter.

I saw nothing regarding the tracking of fuel, but my phone app is easy to use.

Thinking of buying a Tricity but would like a test drive first. Any know of test drives, or rentals, available in the Pattaya area.

Anyone know any shop near Pattaya that is still selling at the promotion price of 79,500. I would buy now at that price but otherwise probably wait.

Nice trip report and photos Ttakata.

When the Piaggio was launched the main benefit was said to be improved front end grip - and this was thought to help avoid the front end washing-out under heavy braking or on poor road surfaces. With the typical state of the roads here that could be a significant benefit.

Most experienced bikers can control a rear end slide (or even induce them on purpose) but often the first we know of the front end sliding is when we're sliding down the road on our back-sides.

Can these bikes 'under-steer' with a controlled front end slide? That would be a different sensation on a bike!

• 2 weeks later...

If there is anybody here,that have doubts about Tricity,I will be selling my Honda SH150 soon....nothing wrong with the SH,just my wife cant ride it,the bike is to tall for her.....PM me if interested.BTW,I'm in CM.

...can see more and more of the Tricity's around now.... ;)

Well I guess a mileage report is due now that I have 1100 km on the bike.

Seems as though city riding is worse than me blasting at 80-100kmh.

I used a cool free app called Fillup on Android.

All fillups were with 95 benzine.

My first 5 tank fills gave me KM/L readings of:

41.51 (highway speeds)

I'm guessing true BKK traffic mileage is ~35kmL

The bike is heavy and has a big fairing so I think these figures are totally respectable.

One thing that is really nice is I don't have to scan or think about riding lines much anymore.

The front soaks up bumps so well, I never get those scary hits like I did with the Nouvo 135.

The rear wheel tells you of big hits but since most of the weight is already ahead, it's not so bad.

Its a very carefree ride and even with the 55L Givi box, I get through BKK traffic just fine.

I'm pretty sure the stock tires are crap but with 2 up front, it has never slipped or seems scary.

The picnic chair riding posture and extra mass does not promote aggressive riding.

I'm very happy with the bike, its such a great bargain.

Only continuing faults are the stupid 2 tier seat that keeps my body sliding forward and the lack of a helmet hanger under the seat.

dear ttataka

thanks for the instructive report, everything sounds perfect for me but !!!. i was today making seating tests with a tricity. hell, that seat is terrible. i am an average european 180cm/100kg i cannot sit on that (it is much worse than my honda spacy)..too close to the front uncomfortable position of legs and knees and that forward part of the seat is to soft. the ideal position for myself would be exactly on top of that knob separating front and back of the seat (after a very short time my but would become sore, hihihi). there was a ttx extreme just aside of it...what a comfortable seating that one has, i was able to use all the lenght of the bike,s seat to find my appropriate position. i wanted to buy a tricity, but with that seat no way. it is made for the average thai men and woman (the saleswoman fitted perfectly) if yamaha wants to sell it in europe they need to do something about the seat.

unfortunately the sales person in udon was knowing nothing ...could not help with an idea about changing the seat, or any other initiative..and about a test ride they have no hearing..!!! i tried to find a connection to the yamaha thailand tricity sales management to talk to them, but no chance

maybe i will talk to a seat craftsman here in thailand...maybe he could do something about it, then i could still venture to buy one.

I think the only way to make the seat better is to flatten the whole length to a single plane with harder foam.

1. You could either do it by adding foam to the front so the dip goes away but it might affect your ability to get both feet flat on the ground.

2. Or cut away the domed plastic on the underside, reinforce the opening with fiberglass or metal plate, and then add foam back so the whole seat is low and flat.

I already spent 450 baht replacing the stock shape with harder foam which helped, but really the entire seat needs to be flat to be comfy on long rides.

At some point I will get the seat right but I'm waiting for someone to capitalize on this idiocy with a better replacement, or when the bike is released in Europe this Fall I can get a better seat.

I think,I've mention this before....for a few hundred Baht you can have the seat 'shaved' to you butt,exactly...so,what's the problem... smile.png

I think we all know that. At Poosub market there is a shop just like there is in many parts of Thailand where ALL they do is recover motorbike seats. The other one I have seen is somewhere near Bearing BTS but it has slipped my mind. Business name has a number in it.

Not everyone seems to grasp this concept readily or have the will or ability to do so. If there is a different seat for Europe/USA then armed with a part number guys with Tricity maybe able to order a Euro seat from the dealer. If the seat is the same then back to Thai option 1.

Maybe we could have a sticky with all the names of seat repairers as it seems to be a continuing theme.