Finance Ministry still chasing funds in hopes of paying farmers

Lite Beer

"Tanusak said the third procedure was the most transparent and there was no indication of corruption given that ...

... payments went straight into farmers' accounts".

But that's the whole crux of the problem ... they didn't....!!

That's not the whole crux of the problem, many farmers have been paid.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is a sovereign state they can print the money they owe its not such a huge amount that it would cause inflation

TRUE !!!

All subsidies carry the same burden: how to pay for them?

Palm oil scheme, Rubber or Rice are subsidies. If there is no money in the bank, it can be printed to satisfy the subsidy. If that is not viable, taxing is the other solution.

Printing more money is more viable.

Taxes will have the whole population up in arms... so.. there is only one way out. The Baht is strong enough to withstand a couple of.02 points in the exchange market. A no brainer but... TIT

Governments the world over have used subsidies as yet another way to secure votes from those who benefited from them.

However, no matter what this administration will do to pay the farmers the cry babies of the opposition will raise their voices in yet another protest.

Why? They aim revenge to rid the country of the Shin-Clan, no matter what. Of course that the help of the hierarchical structure of the Bangkok elite is on their side to stage a power grab (a la judicial coup) or, after aiding the upcoming financial crisis, have the Army step in.. Since the Dems have not won an election in 20 some years, that would be one way they will be able to holler: VIVA SUTHEP! Because they know what is best for the country. Do they? Does the Shin-clan?

TIT, yet another Lilliput

"Tanusak said the third procedure was the most transparent and there was no indication of corruption given that ...

Many of the rich farmers have been paid. However, the majority are not rich, and it is that majority which has not been paid. Many being a minority of a much larger figure is irrelevant!

"In response to the request, he said the ministry would borrow another 40 billion baht to pay thousands of rice growers.

He however said he would have to discuss the matter with Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan before forwarding it to the cabinet for approval."

Interesting that the past tense of will is would, and is most commonly used in a conditional way using 'if'.

If I won the lottery, I would buy a new home.

So he says in effect the ministry would borrow 40 billion, if it gets approved.... after saying 'will'... LIAR. More PTP continued lies.

The past tense of 'will' is 'would have', not 'would'. 'Would' in this context indicates an intention to borrow.

Tanusak said the third procedure was the most transparent and there was no indication of corruption given that payments went straight into farmers' accounts.

Pull the other one. Of course some of it has gone straight into farmers' accounts but huge amounts have also gone into the accounts of your buddies. That is not to mention the fake rice sales to China etc etc.

Thailand has no money left.

Next.

Thailand has pots of money. Next.

this it appears is a red spun post designed to stop you in your tracks and think about the error of your ways hahahahahahahaa convinced me..w00t.gif

Farmers lost all credibility when they turned around and went home after believing they would be paid "next month"...3 months ago.

Get the convoy together. You aren't getting paid you fools. Make a stand.

• Like 1

Like French, Oz, US, Italian and farmers from some other countries did some years ago, I wonder what would happen if they stopped supplying the food chain to markets and shopping malls ? Not that I'm supporting insurrection, but I just wish the farmers would be a bit more assertive.

Yes indeed i would love to see that,it's not insurrection,it's '"market forces' however even the farang farmers don't have the funds to follow through and the government and middle men know this.The most worthless chess piece is called a pawn,in German its called Bauer=farmer.

Many of the rich farmers have been paid. However, the majority are not rich, and it is that majority which has not been paid. Many being a minority of a much larger figure is irrelevant!

with 220 rai we could be called rich farmers but we have been waiting 5 months,not a Baht in sight.

More fund sought to pay farmers

197409-imagepng-294230-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry will borrow 40 billion baht more from the Central Fund in order to pay rice farmers participating in the government’s rice pledging program.

Caretaker Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Puangrach said the government has been asked by the Thai Farmers Association to speedily make disbursements to unpaid farmers who pledged their rice with the government.

In response to the request, he said the ministry would borrow another 40 billion baht to pay thousands of rice farmers

However he said he would have to discuss the matter with caretaker Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan before forwarding it to the cabinet for approval.

Earlier president of the Thai Farmers Association submitted a letter to Mr. Yanyong, asking the government to continue with the rice pledging program and borrow some extra money from the central budget to inject into the rice scheme.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fund-sought-pay-farmers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fund-sought-pay-farmers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-19

"In response to the request, he said the ministry would borrow another 40 billion baht to pay thousands of rice growers.

He however said he would have to discuss the matter with Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan before forwarding it to the cabinet for approval."

Interesting that the past tense of will is would, and is most commonly used in a conditional way using 'if'.

If I won the lottery, I would buy a new home.

So he says in effect the ministry would borrow 40 billion, if it gets approved.... after saying 'will'... LIAR. More PTP continued lies.

The past tense of 'will' is 'would have', not 'would'. 'Would' in this context indicates an intention to borrow.

Past tense of will is 'would'.... wrong again, as usual. 'Would have' is the past tense of 'will have'... hope you're not a teacher. offtopic.gif.pagespeed.ce.ifZtFTWxj3.png

Next.

Your >five< worded print above is nonsensical.

I'll ask again, so where is it?

You see plenty of numbers banded about on paper, but when time comes to hand out real cash, there is either reluctance or an apparent inability.

Next.

this it appears is a red spun post designed to stop you in your tracks and think about the error of your ways hahahahahahahaa convinced me..w00t.gif

Thailand stands at approx 15th in world for force at 158+ bn. Government debt to GDP is below 50%.

They have plenty of freedom to borrow. Tax take is low, they have scope to raise taxes. Problem is, since there is no govt, their legal ability to borrow is curtailed.

Thailand is not bust.

Next.

Thailand stands at approx 15th in world for force at 158+ bn. Government debt to GDP is below 50%.

They have plenty of freedom to borrow. Tax take is low, they have scope to raise taxes. Problem is, since there is no govt, their legal ability to borrow is curtailed.

Thailand is not bust.

When you factor in the 2.2 xxxTBH that PTP still is saying they will borrow for infrastructure projects, the government debt ration goes to about 63%, so above the 60% limit

Raise taxes - no problem - collect taxes ........ummmmm

Less talking and more action , unfortunately the Thai Administration has not one iota how to tackle this problem , when you offer money on the never never plan it is like credit , it is okay when you have the funds , but if you have none, you are in the s!!t and that's where PTP and Thailand rice farmers are, in the shi!!t, as I have said many times , one would hope that the rice farmers and other farmers vote accordingly , the next time there is an election and any intimidation from village leaders or influential persons is reported to the Dems. coffee1.gif

I thought it was supposed to be a secret ballot which would make intimidation impossible.

"Tanusak said the third procedure was the most transparent and there was no indication of corruption given that payments went straight into farmers' accounts".

The spin of these people is laughable.TIT.You can fool most of the people,most of the time.

The problem with this is awesomely transparent process is that payments HAVEN'T been going into farmers accounts.

• Like 1

Yingluck should never have made these promises without having all the financing lined up beforehand. This fiasco is making her look terribly incompetent, and it is making it appear that her administration is being run by inexperienced children. This has become a real boil on the face of this government. Something needs to be done. I have a suggestion. Why doesn't every member of the administration forfeit their salary for two years, and all of that money can be used to pay the farmers, the money they have been promised, and have already earned?

Remember the dear caretaker PM/DM vowed that the farmers would be paid - several weeks ago and nothing happened. Just more hollow words aimed at buying time, telling people what they want to hear, and hoping the problems will go away or at least be able to be blamed on someone else.

Not so much incompetence as the inability to distinguish right from wrong, do the right thing or govern wisely. Note that whilst all this has been going on, her families wealth has increased 450% during her time in office. Not a bad performance eh? Wonder how and why they can manage to the family fortune so successfully but not the country?

And her answer - forget about it all, go home up North and enjoy Songkran. She didn't either bother to come back for her court case. Not a care in the world - certainly not a financial one.

No doubt big brother will sort it all out this weekend in HK. Wonder if he even bothers telling her anymore?

Maybe Thaksin could lend the money. He'd get it back so that wouldn't be a problem.

Thailand is a sovereign state they can print the money they owe its not such a huge amount that it would cause inflation

TRUE !!!

All subsidies carry the same burden: how to pay for them?

Palm oil scheme, Rubber or Rice are subsidies. If there is no money in the bank, it can be printed to satisfy the subsidy. If that is not viable, taxing is the other solution.

Printing more money is more viable.

Taxes will have the whole population up in arms... so.. there is only one way out. The Baht is strong enough to withstand a couple of.02 points in the exchange market. A no brainer but... TIT

Governments the world over have used subsidies as yet another way to secure votes from those who benefited from them.

However, no matter what this administration will do to pay the farmers the cry babies of the opposition will raise their voices in yet another protest.

Why? They aim revenge to rid the country of the Shin-Clan, no matter what. Of course that the help of the hierarchical structure of the Bangkok elite is on their side to stage a power grab (a la judicial coup) or, after aiding the upcoming financial crisis, have the Army step in.. Since the Dems have not won an election in 20 some years, that would be one way they will be able to holler: VIVA SUTHEP! Because they know what is best for the country. Do they? Does the Shin-clan?

TIT, yet another Lilliput

It's not the Dems that are stopping them borrowing money it's the EC. Before you claim they're corrupt remember it's down to them the PTP formed the last government. There are good reasons for not letting them borrow money to help them win an election and I'm certain the same thing would happen in other countries as well.

I said a whille back that it would probably be possible to get round this with agreement from both sides and so long as it could be done in a way that doesn't make it look as if the PTP had sorted things out for the farmers. Unfortunately Yingluck made a speech blaming everyone apart from herself and her party so there's no way that it could be sorted out.

Next.

Thailand is not bust.

When you factor in the 2.2 xxxTBH that PTP still is saying they will borrow for infrastructure projects, the government debt ration goes to about 63%, so above the 60% limit

Raise taxes - no problem - collect taxes ........ummmmm

What infrastructure ? That is never going to happen in the proposed form. 63% of GDP. Wow.

Want to swap with half the developed world? Thailand is NOT bust. Simple.

Thailand is not bust.

There we go with the numbers again, and those numbers come from who, The Finance Ministry? ... the ministry that is lead by a self confessed liar.

I'll quote my previous post.

You see plenty of numbers banded about on paper, but when time comes to hand out real cash, there is either reluctance or an apparent inability.

Why the need to borrow more if their finances are so healthy?

That is the number that is measured, studied.and accepted by the world community. It's in the back page of the economist for Pete's sake. Its what the banks use.

So, as much as you would like to believe that Yingluck.has raped the Thai treasury and the country is about to go into a 1997 meltdown, please note that Thailand in statistical terms is in better shape that 90% of our own home countries, financially.

If it wasn't, they wouldn't have been able to.sustain this political mess for so long. The markets would have walloped them long ago.

Again, just repeating those numbers does not answer my question, namely......

Why the need to borrow more if their finances are so healthy?

Because the system for the rice was bust from the beginning. It wasn't included in government borrowing because the premise was that it would be self funding. If they hadn't called the election, they would borrow from the markets, but today they are a temporary govt.

Money for salaries and all the rest is allocated, money for rice is not, but they can't enter the market and incur borrowing because the govt is in limbo.

If the civil service or army would agree to take a cut for a month or two, I guess the farmers would get paid.