To the Farang, I met in Tesco.

Costas2008

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

The guy was John Lennon with Yoko and a young Sean.

He isn't smiling anymore...

• Like 1

There is another thread about farangs snubbing other farangs.

I guess the threat of not being unique is just too much. Somebody said it right..it takes away from the "Thai Experience".

They would not smile back or nod at you in New York either...if that helps.

Not a good example.

In New York 80% are farangs and you don't go around saying Hello to everybody.

In Thailand, may be there is an 1% of farangs and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge a courtesy.

I was in Tesco in Bristol (UK) last month, there were also probably only 1% farangs in there, but I didn't feel the need to greet them.

Love it. 555.

I was in brick lane and couldn't find a local person :-)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

The guy was John Lennon with Yoko and a young Sean.

He isn't smiling anymore...

True. His life ended tragically near that very spot and he was mourned all over the world.

There is another thread about farangs snubbing other farangs.

I guess the threat of not being unique is just too much. Somebody said it right..it takes away from the "Thai Experience".

They would not smile back or nod at you in New York either...if that helps.

Not a good example.

In New York 80% are farangs and you don't go around saying Hello to everybody.

In Thailand, may be there is an 1% of farangs and it doesn't hurt to acknowledge a courtesy.

I agree with this a fair amount and indeed it doesn't take much to acknowledge another person. I think slippery lobster sums it up perfectly here.

I recall when we first moved to Chanthaburi I let on to a fat bloke in Robinsons and he just totally blanked me. I was livid. When I got to know a few more of the Westerners in Chan they all told me he was an oddball who had been there for 15 years and thought he owned the place.Indeed many times when we'd meet up at the market for drinks of a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon we'd catch a glimpse of him wobbling through the market on the periphery but he never ventured too close...

I guess for some people, being the only "Farang in the village" will do.....

• Like 2

I guess if there were only 2 farangs here - I might be compelled to try to say hello but in reality you can't go near any major street here without seeing many at a time.

Hardly a novelty.

Imagine getting on the skytrain and seeing all the farangs and try nodding your head to recognize each of their presence. Easier bobbing for apples.

Might have been a German banker.

(I wrote banker)

Mayday mayday we are sinking, we are sinking...

Ja, zis is the German coastguard, what are you sinking about?

Don't worry Costa, I noticed not many western guys say hi in KK to me either. Was there last week, should have looked you up.

• Like 1