France mulls car-sharing GPS app ban

webfact

France mulls car-sharing GPS app ban
By Jane Wakefield
Technology reporter

(BBC) Private car hire services in France face a ban on the GPS-enabled apps that allow people to find available drivers.

The government is desperate to placate taxi unions which are increasingly frustrated by private lift-sharing schemes.

It has drawn up a set of recommendations which include banning such services displaying maps of the location of available cars.

One car-sharing start-up said that the recommendation was "bizarre".

"This is a big problem for us," said Pierre-Dimitri Gore-Coty, a regional general manager for car-sharing firm Uber.

"It is cutting one of the features of the app which is about making it simple to order a private car."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27141129

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-04-25

I think this is taking things too far. What next, people can't walk because the taxi drivers aren't getting enough business.

I'm not sure why you feel this is taking things too far. Services like Uber are taxis that simply don't want to abide by the same regulations as taxis. We can have a genuine discussion about why taxis should or should not be regulated, but once a government decides to regulate an industry it absolutely should stop organizations who act to violate the law. It is ridiculous to try and extend this argument to arrive at the conclusion people can't walk, because walking is not a regulated activity (yet).

If you want unregulated taxis, then present your argument for unregulated taxis. Maybe the French government will hear you. But it is disingenuous to try and say Uber is not a taxi service. Uber needs to abide by the same regulations as everyone else. People can still use Uber's app if they want, but Uber needs to offer their service with licensed taxi drivers instead of unregulated, private cars that ignore the law.

• Like 1

It is an interesting struggle between cartels and groups empowered by the internet. Airbnb is such a case. No doubt vested interests are furious. But it is difficult to imagine that the consumer will lose out in the long run.

I think "empowered by the internet" is a little off kilter.

People have always been able to offer their services as bandit taxis by simply writing "Taxi" in white shoe polish on their windshield.

It was illegal then, it's illegal now.

All the internet has done is make it possible to advertise an illegal service in a clandestine manner not so obvious to law enforcement.

Not much different from illegal gambling's tremendous "empowerment" by the interweb.

Geodesic is correct. Operating a taxi service is either regulated or it isn't. It shouldn't be regulated, taxed and tightly controlled for one group, and a free-for-all for everyone else.

AirBNB isn't a great analogy, because nobody sells hotel licenses for zillions of dollars, then controls exactly how many hotels may be built, and dictates that each hotel must charge exactly the same rate for a room.

Last time I tired to get a taxi in France it was about 8million euro for a 2km trip. And that was over 10 years ago.

What was the exchange rate back then? Or maybe a problem converting miles to km? Or, being France, perhaps the driver just didn't like your shirt?

Last time I tired to get a taxi in France it was about 8million euro for a 2km trip. And that was over 10 years ago.

Last time I took a taxi in Paris it was around 50 euros, a distance of nearly 30km from the second arondissement to the airport with three adults, a three-year old and a pile of luggage. The 20 euros premium on taking the metro/rar (33 euros) was well worth the convenience. That was a few months ago.

I think this is taking things too far. What next, people can't walk because the taxi drivers aren't getting enough business.

They are doing the exact same thing in the US. 'Nanny' governments protecting businesses (taxi companies) from individual citizens seeking to make ends meet. They'll outlaw all forms of ride sharing next.

(...but I live in Thailand. Why do I care. I remember -- I don't. Never-mind) coffee1.gif

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

What was the exchange rate back then? Or maybe a problem converting miles to km? Or, being France, perhaps the driver just didn't like your shirt?

even the Praesident takes the motorbike instead of a taxi

They are doing the exact same thing in the US. 'Nanny' governments protecting businesses (taxi companies) from individual citizens seeking to make ends meet. They'll outlaw all forms of ride sharing next.

More like protecting consumers from price gouging, unsafe vehicles and the risk that your next "ride share driver" will be a serial rapist (gender unselective, to boot). Oh, and collecting appropriate taxes, too.

All legal taxis need to meet the same minimum requirements, they all have to charge the legal price, and they all contribute to the tax rolls. In many cities, they also need to pass a test showing they know the roads. As a trade-off, most cities limit the number of taxis so they can all get enough business to make a living.

Imagine New York City, Chicago, or LA if the legal taxi drivers went out of business because they couldn't get enough customers. Then we'd all be at the mercy of the bandit drivers, just like Phuket.... Thanks, but no thanks.

Edited by impulse