Jomtien ?

swissie

I make my occasional weekend visits to Pattaya, but this time I aim for Jomtien. 10 years ago I actually used to live there, but haven't been there ever since. Certainly things have changed in the meantime.

So, in short: Fun places to go and places to better not go ?

Thanks & cheers.

If you want to party, party, party then by all means go to Pattaya City. If you want a more laid back atmosphere, many prefer Jomtien. There are plenty of bars and places to eat in the Rompo market opposite Jomtien soi 5 on new 2nd Rd. Jomtien Beach has water sports, a nicer beach, enough bars, places to eat and it's a short baht bus ride to the City. The hordes of Russian tourists have gone, maybe they're needed to help their comrades in the Ukraine?

Was there a week ago.

Mainly Thai people around, not that many Farangs. Didn't manage to bump into any Russians, a few Arabs knocking about though.

All in all, depends what you are looking for.

Edited by soihok

Was there a week ago.

Mainly Thai people around, not that many Farangs. Didn't manage to bump into any Russians, a few Arabs knocking about though.

You were in Jomtien and didn't bump into any Russians?w00t.gif

Are you sure you were at the THAILAND Jomtien?

• Like 1

Every independent traveller despises her/his compatriot package tourists - until that is they go on an away team holiday with their mates when they discover the joys of being boorish and not caringthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Didn't come into contact with any Russians, although the evidence that there many around is clear with most signs in Russian as well as English.

In the small market at the top of Soi 5, some of the Thai food stalls don't have English yet do have Russian advertising thier food.

Perhaps in the week I was there the Russians were having a break away Jomtien smile.png

Didn't come into contact with any Russians, although the evidence that there many around is clear with most signs in Russian as well as English.

In the small market at the top of Soi 5, some of the Thai food stalls don't have English yet do have Russian advertising thier food.

Perhaps in the week I was there the Russians were having a break away Jomtien smile.png

Fact. The peskie ruskies tend to be found on the baht buses, where they spend most of their day

• Like 1

The Russians are long gone. Hell everybody is gone. It is the slowest anyone has seen in recent memory.

I have noticed, even today, that Russians are still here and that the place is not that "slow." In fact, it seems incredibly crowded along the beachfront areas. The traffic is horrible and just try to find a place to park. It seems obvious that an increasing number of Thais, probably Bangkonians, are taking more frequent trips to Pattayastok-Jomtienski, especially on the weekends. IMHO, both Pattayastok-Jomtienski have been ruined by "progress." At least I have good memories of the 80s and 90s when it was really a nice place to be. Dasvadanya.

Russians gone ? In my condo in soi watboon they still live here, 85% of the owners/tenants are Russians . They talk to me in russian every day , even if they know Im not russian, funny that.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Russians gone ? In my condo in soi watboon they still live here, 85% of the owners/tenants are Russians . They talk to me in russian every day , even if they know Im not russian, funny that.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I distinguish between owners and tenants, in my Jomtien beach condo 2 out of 950 units are Russian owned but during the high season there are many Russian tenants. The topic of conversation tonight at the dinner table was "where have all the Russians gone?". Perhaps the ruble is taking a hit with the turmoil and sanctions in Ukraine.

• Like 1

Was there a week ago.

You were in Jomtien and didn't bump into any Russians?w00t.gif

Are you sure you were at the THAILAND Jomtien?

That's a fair question?

The first week of May is vacation season for many Russians and temperature in Dzalinda Siberia is still just -11C.

Therefore I wouldn't expect an exodus of Russians until at least mid-May.

In agreement with the observations of previous posters, Jomtien Beach Condo

is still full of Russians. I observed this by the swimming pool yesterday.

And it took 2 hours to go and come back by Baht bus to Foodland . Horrendous traffic.

No relief yet.