Do you know any other country where people drink whiskey for dinner ? Awful !

Hi,

I had never seen before people drinking whiskey for dinner, but maybe you know ?

How can they drink whiskey instead of wine or water ? It does not match with any kind of food !

Or maybe its just me and it could be okay for most to drink the same awful alcohol that Thai drink when having dinner / party ?

What do you think ?

How can they drink whiskey instead of wine or water ?

What is that for a sentence?

Any sane person would have write: How can they drink whiskey instead of beer?

Yesss, thats understandable! Then "MAYBE" you could have had a few good answers, but instead of water whistling.gif pffff

I prefer not to comment "instead of wine", in Thailand how many vineyards have you seen? whistling.gif re pffff

Answer: If they do like it why not...so here for your next questions: http://melandrose.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/strange-drinks-from-around-the-world/

(biggrin.png)
  • Like 1

Yesss, thats understandable! Then "MAYBE" you could have had a few good answers, but instead of water whistling.gif pffff

I prefer not to comment "instead of wine", in Thailand how many vineyards have you seen? whistling.gif re pffff

Answer: If they do like it why not...so here for your next questions: http://melandrose.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/strange-drinks-from-around-the-world/

(biggrin.png)

I am not a volunteer working for the grammar police but ....would have write ?

(biggrin.png)

I am not an English Speaker man, sometimes I do not remember at all some verbal form, or some words orthography, sometimes I just laugh at myself when I realise, speaking a foreign language is one thing, writing it another, not so easywai.gif Now you've told me its not correct I do not remember for sure. But guess would have wrote ?

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

Whisky, Scotch whisky (note Scottish spelling) with plenty of ice and soda is by far the best accompaniment to the myriad flavours present in Thai food.

Much better than the headache inducing, chemically laden "beer."

Wine in Thailand is mostly poor quailty and always grossly over-priced due to the punitive taxes.

• Like 1

As far as I an concerned, drinking whiskey anytime is awful. I can't stand the stuff..

More than likely it is not whiskey at all but Lao Kao. No self respecting person could call that whiskey. Fermented rice and half distilled?

(biggrin.png)

I am not an English Speaker man, sometimes I do not remember at all some verbal form, or some words orthography, sometimes I just laugh at myself when I realise, speaking a foreign language is one thing, writing it another, not so easywai.gif Now you've told me its not correct I do not remember for sure. But guess would have wrote ?

"written". I agree with the beer sentiment though :)

It's not whiskey they drink - usually - its Thai rum, watered down to within an inch of its poor wretched life :( and then ice added to remove what taste remains.

(biggrin.png)

"written". I agree with the beer sentiment though :)

It's not whiskey they drink - usually - its Thai rum, watered down to within an inch of its poor wretched life :( and then ice added to remove what taste remains.

And still they go crazy....dinner or not...

Write - present form

Wrote - past form

Written - participle form

Remember from grade school: Today I write, yesterday I wrote, many times I have written.

I suppose it doesn't matter if it communicates but the proper form does communicate more precisely.

BTW, back in the 60s, Meekhong whiskey dinners were THE thing. With lots of very spicy food, the Meekhong with lots of soda tasted pretty good. Why no beer? It was too expensive. A bottle of Meekhong cost just slightly more than a bottle of beer and went much further!

• Like 1

Commonplace in the UK and US (for example) up to 25 years ago. Still commonplace in Eastern Europe.

You are a creature of the present day culture in your home country, that's all.

(biggrin.png)

"written". I agree with the beer sentiment though smile.png

It's not whiskey they drink - usually - its Thai rum, watered down to within an inch of its poor wretched life sad.png and then ice added to remove what taste remains.

Disagree. Almost every time, IMO, its been whisky - Thai, 100 Pipers, JW or JWBL, Usually they add loads of ice, soda water and the last half inch is normal water. I see this "mix" a lot. It's pretty refreshing and is great with Isaan food eaten in the open air. Occasionally I've been offered Thai Brandy too. Same mixing and again very nice.

Makes a nice change from the beer and ice.

I've seen people drink whisky with dinner in many Asian countries - China (neat), Philippines, Korea, Thailand, India, and Japan. But it seems more wide spread in Thailand.

Edited by Baerboxer

The below documentary is about the history of Poitin (puch een) (small still) and Uisce Beatha (Ishka Ba Ha) (Whiskey). When the Licensing of Uisce Beatha began, many distillers continued their ancient craft illegally and it became known as Poitin and the legal brew became Whiskey. It shows the traditional distilling process in the West of Ireland. Some Irish language subtitled, but mostly in English. It also gives a fascinating account of the rivalries between both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmMyvjBI3I

Edit: Uisce = Water, Beatha = Life.

Water of Life

Edited by I Like Thai
  • Like 1

"written". I agree with the beer sentiment though smile.png

It's not whiskey they drink - usually - its Thai rum, watered down to within an inch of its poor wretched life sad.png and then ice added to remove what taste remains.

Disagree. Almost every time, IMO, its been whisky - Thai, 100 Pipers, JW or JWBL, Usually they add loads of ice, soda water and the last half inch is normal water. I see this "mix" a lot. It's pretty refreshing and is great with Isaan food eaten in the open air. Occasionally I've been offered Thai Brandy too. Same mixing and again very nice.

Makes a nice change from the beer and ice.

I've seen people drink whisky with dinner in many Asian countries - China (neat), Philippines, Korea, Thailand, India, and Japan. But it seems more wide spread in Thailand.

Maybe in the evenings - but during the day its mostly Sang Som (which is rum) around my way - occasional patron with 100 Pipers - JW (especially Black Label - or even more so Blue Label if that's what you meant) is too expensive for lunch time jolly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Was often in Scotland and whiskey was served during dinner.

I think you'll find that was Whisky smile.png

Yes and it was a great whiskey.