Thai Air Force chief urges Democrat Party to partake in upcoming election

Air Force chief urges Democrat Party to partake in upcoming election

PNPOL570502001000102_02052014_101137.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 May 2014 (NNT) – Air Force Commander-in-Chief Prajin Juntong urged the Democrat Party on Thursday to partake in the upcoming general election, and expressed support for Abhisit Vejjajiva's attempt to find a solution to the current political situation.

Air Chief Marshal Prajin expressed his belief that the mediation effort by Democrat leader Abhisit was a good thing, and that he would view such effort positively regardless of who the mediator was.

He noted that an election will provide the solution to the ongoing political crisis, provided the polling can be held in its entirety.

He also suggested the Democrat Party enter the July 20 race, because politicians are obliged to partake in elections.

Asked whether he will meet Mr. Abhisit for talks, ACM Prajin said this would not be necessary, as the armed forces commanders would confer with the supreme commander, who already spoke to Mr. Abhisit, regarding this matter.

According to him, the Air Force will be ready to lend a hand in ensuring that the general election is conducted in its entirety.

ACM Prajin also remarked that the current situation did not warrant a request of a royally-bestowed prime minister, in accordance with Article 7 of the charter.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-02 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

He also suggested the Democrat Party enter the July 20 race, because politicians are obliged to partake in elections.

Politicians are obligated to represent their constituents. Clearly not too many of their constituents were interested in participating in the last election. They didn't, and the party didn't.

I thought, and according to General Prayuth, the Army is not involved in politics.

Do the Royal Thai forces, speak to each other?

NO......They're too far up them selves to speak to the other forces......Army, Navy and Airforce are in a world of their own.

• Like 2

"He noted that an election will provide the solution to the ongoing political crisis, provided the polling can be held in its entirety."

So the PDRC will just go home and give the country to Thaksin?

"He also suggested the Democrat Party enter the July 20 race, because politicians are obliged to partake in elections."

No you can be politician without taking part in elections.....

"Asked whether he will meet Mr. Abhisit for talks, ACM Prajin said this would not be necessary, as the armed forces commanders would confer with the supreme commander, who already spoke to Mr. Abhisit, regarding this matter."

So also this comment isn't necessary?

"According to him, the Air Force will be ready to lend a hand in ensuring that the general election is conducted in its entirety."

The AIR Force? very strange....elections are usually on the ground....

"ACM Prajin also remarked that the current situation did not warrant a request of a royally-bestowed prime minister, in accordance with Article 7 of the charter."

And the Air Force decide that?

• Like 1

The Dems have already announced they will not run if Abhisit's Proposal is not accepted...I laud this guy for coming out and having the guts to speak for elections but I fear he didn't get the memo from Chavanon..

" He noted that an election will provide the solution to the ongoing political crisis, provided the polling can be held in its entirety.

Asked whether he will meet Mr. Abhisit for talks, ACM Prajin said this would not be necessary, as the armed forces commanders would confer with the supreme commander, who already spoke to Mr. Abhisit, regarding this matter.

According to him, the Air Force will be ready to lend a hand in ensuring that the general election is conducted in its entirety.":

Good onya bud!

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 1

"He noted that an election will provide the solution to the ongoing political crisis, provided the polling can be held in its entirety."

So the PDRC will just go home and give the country to Thaksin?

"He also suggested the Democrat Party enter the July 20 race, because politicians are obliged to partake in elections."

No you can be politician without taking part in elections.....

"Asked whether he will meet Mr. Abhisit for talks, ACM Prajin said this would not be necessary, as the armed forces commanders would confer with the supreme commander, who already spoke to Mr. Abhisit, regarding this matter."

So also this comment isn't necessary?

"According to him, the Air Force will be ready to lend a hand in ensuring that the general election is conducted in its entirety."

The AIR Force? very strange....elections are usually on the ground....

"ACM Prajin also remarked that the current situation did not warrant a request of a royally-bestowed prime minister, in accordance with Article 7 of the charter."

And the Air Force decide that

Don't be consumed by your loyalty and open your mind to what the Air Force Chief said. He said an election which can mean the people vote and decide on the next government. Have you given up hope on the Dem Party? An election versus a power grap by Suterp, which you think is the solution.

Sorry you are so wrong about politician role which ultimately is to be elected as representative for the purpose of serving the people.

And he is right about Article 7. Why do you want to put stress and worries on the King.

The Dems have already announced they will not run if Abhisit's Proposal is not accepted...I laud this guy for coming out and having the guts to speak for elections but I fear he didn't get the memo from Chavanon..

" He noted that an election will provide the solution to the ongoing political crisis, provided the polling can be held in its entirety.

According to him, the Air Force will be ready to lend a hand in ensuring that the general election is conducted in its entirety.":

Good onya bud!

I do feel sorry for you dirty, the way you are clinging to this crazy belief that Thailand actually holds "free and fair democratic elections" as your crowd loves to say, over and over and over and .....................................................................

If only they were free and fair, and politicians from parties opposing the PTP were not threatened and intimidated by a gang of red shirted thugs and gutless hitmen. Where grenades were not launched at peoples' homes and businesses, left on front gates etc.

Keep dreaming dirty. thumbsup.gif

Good onya bud!

I do feel sorry for you dirty, the way you are clinging to this crazy belief that Thailand actually holds "free and fair democratic elections" as your crowd loves to say, over and over and over and .....................................................................

If only they were free and fair, and politicians from parties opposing the PTP were not threatened and intimidated by a gang of red shirted thugs and gutless hitmen. Where grenades were not launched at peoples' homes and businesses, left on front gates etc.

Back atya cowface .. Keep dreaming about your gutless yellow bellies... all I did was laud what the man said...but you go on with yer badseff You know so much more ...more about everyone who did what to whom who planted the grenades who threw them...ya got squat I say.... you can speculate all you like... I just supported a guy who spoke what HE believes in..LOL... MOOOOO!

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 2

Werent PT saying the military should be neutral and stay out of politics ?

But I suppose its different when a branch of the military supports their stance, well the chief does anyway.

He wouldn't be related or beholden to the family by any chance ?

I'm not trying to defend whatever standard of 'democracy' exists in the UK, but I can honestly say I can't remember a single occasion when an armed forces general gave an opinion as to what a political party should or should not do. The only audible voice of the armed forces was always the Defence Minister very often decrying the reduction of the Defence Budget. IMPO the Thai generals should be confined to barracks and not be seen on 'soapboxes'.Incidentally, I see YL has found the money for more 'toys' for the generals, but the farmers are still waiting for payment of their 'daily bread'. It's obscene, but the norm because TIT.

Good onya bud!

I thought it was the opposition who threatened and intimidated the voters at the last election and not the other way around?

• Like 1

These military guys think they are above the elected politicians!! They should keep quiet about politics in public!!

Well everyone is allowed to have an opinion, if it is a monk, a general or a Farang. Just urging 1 party is a bit strange.... I would see general opinions better...Like Democracy is important and everyone should blablabla....

Yes the military needs to learn to stay out of civil government and civil affairs to include the political system and processes, and the Thai armed forces need to learn that vital point of democracy fast.

The commander in chief of the Air Force ACM Prajin has spoken out of line and beyond his duty and responsibility to the country. The question now is whether ACM Prajin is speaking for the armed forces or for himself. His doing either is not good for the country.

If ACM Prajin is speaking for himself, which is the more likely development, then the statement reveals that the armed forces are not united and do not speak as one when Gen Prayuth or the supreme commander Army General Thanasak make their own political pronouncements.

It thus would appear ACM Prajin has broken discipline by speaking to indicate divisions among the highest commanders of the armed forces concerning current and present political developments.

Armed forces commanders in open disagreement about politics, elections, personalities in politics reveal the complexities of conducting a coup d'état.

ACM Prajin also reveals the existing complexities and complications of unity or command and loyalty within the armed forces highest commands that raise serious doubts about the operational effectiveness of the armed forces should they be called upon in a civil emergency or insurgency.

Many know there are "watermelon" top brass but especially so among the middle ranks of officers and among the line armed forces personnel of he lower ranks.

This however is now a case of a sky blue commander among the joint chiefs of the Army, Navy, Air Force breaking ranks to state his own political views.

Gen Prayuth and/or supreme commander General Thanasak certainly must feel compelled to make their own statement of response, either individually or together. Each must assert his command and control over the top brass and over all the armed forces. But what will either or both say? And might others subsequently speak out?

It is anyway very Thai that the supreme commander is the highest actively serving military officer but that the army chief is the real muscle of the armed forces.

Edited by Publicus

And the pizzabaker on the corner care very mu7ch about the air-force boss. Should they ? As a general he knows anything about how to building a civilised society. Amusing this thai generals . They know how to run a country.

The people who had grenades at tthrown at there houses (by assumed red shirts) were democrats against the election and supporters the pdrc's plan to seize power w/o an election. The PT is not winning elections because democrats are being intemidated not to run for parliament..absolute non-sence. The PT wins by a landslide w/o any intimidation whatsoever so they have no eason to cheat.

• Like 1