Beware of fraudulent mobile charges

Just a heads up, if your mobile bill seems a bit higher than normal you should check carefully for fraudulent charges. I had a strange ~B250 charge on my AIS bill. Went to AIS customer service and they checked the phone's sms. They showed me several sms's from a company for some kind of information service. Of course I never subscribed to any such thing. I had ignored the sms's because I thought they were spam or a phishing scheme. Each sms was titled "browser message" and contained a web link but no description whatsoever. The staff reversed this month's B250 charge, but there was also a ~B100 charge last month which they couldn't reverse.

Before I left I got the company name -- "E-66 Solution" and phone number. Tried calling but the number doesn't work (no surprise). I also checked the IP in the link 223.25.242.94 which led to a hosting service in Malaysia.

It's terrible of AIS to allow shady companies to rip off their customers. Mind you, someone using True posted something similar but that was back in 2009.

• Like 1

Direct carrier billing, for both post- and pre-paid, is allowed and is sometimes viewed as a convenience.

I'm guessing you are post-paid? Is this first time you've had a problem? Over what time period?

Was AIS able to provide any more detail re: these companies, how they got your number, what is their arrangement with these companies, the types of "information services", etc.

It would be great if you could identify more details re: these charges. service, companies, especially the "~B100 charge last month which they couldn't reverse", and the why they couldn't reverse that?

The advice to always review and check any/all monthly bills is probably a good idea?

Direct carrier billing, for both post- and pre-paid, is allowed and is sometimes viewed as a convenience.

I'm guessing you are post-paid? Is this first time you've had a problem? Over what time period?

Was AIS able to provide any more detail re: these companies, how they got your number, what is their arrangement with these companies, the types of "information services", etc.

It would be great if you could identify more details re: these charges. service, companies, especially the "~B100 charge last month which they couldn't reverse", and the why they couldn't reverse that?

The advice to always review and check any/all monthly bills is probably a good idea?

And is sometimes viewed as a scam if one is unaware or did not pre-order it!

I get unsolicited text messages, despite asking not to and supposedly blocking them, getting your number does not seem to post a challenge.

Simple random dialing or sequential dialling will obtain 'active' numbers.

As a PAYGo customer, this would worry me as I have no monthly bill to review.

As a PAYGo customer, this would worry me as I have no monthly bill to review.

Not sure about TrueMove H and AIS, but DTAC does offer a robust, web-based e-Services platform which allows one to view an itemized list of all account activity: calls, numbers called, duration, cost, SMS details, top-ups, promotion/plan deductions etc. One can view/print a very detailed "bill" for the current and previous two months; these run to 12+ pages.

So it is relatively easy to review one's account.

I am pretty sure at least AIS offers a similar service.

Unfortunately all mobile operators here provide what is called Content Provider Access which allows approved third-parties to market services directly to their customers. I think this is a huge mistake, and I have made my feelings known to both DTAC and AIS. But they still do it.

Additionally, it is very easy to accidentally subscribe to these services, which will result in direct-billing. So it is vital that one review their monthly bill and/or pre-paid account activity, and if you start to receive periodic (daily, even more frequent) SMSes, even if in Thai, you should investigate, and rectify as soon as possible.

Myself is using AIS pre-paid. I stopped doing post paid. They charge over the top. I got bills of 10-12,000 Baht a month for work calls. A lot of shady charges that I couldn't track.

On top of that I requested them for roaming for a specific period. When I came back they didnt cancelled the roaming but just automatically renew and tried to charge me 250,000 Baht. With pre-paid you know what you pay but even then I am surprised that the card slips rapidly. Previously I was with DTAC.

Continuous disconnections, sometimes 3 times in one call made me do the change. AIS seems to do the same.

Continously disconnecting. Everytime must call back and charging again. I assume there is no check on this here and no wonder that these companies are wealthy rich

In Europe there were also in history discussions on for consumers pay too much, were charged per minute while call a few seconds. There they made changes to the bills and charging in seconds instead of minutes. But that is far road from here I suppose.

no wonder that these companies are wealthy rich

Well TrueMove (True Mobile) loses a lot of money every quarter, every year.

But yes, DTAC and AIS are profitable and are SET listed companies in which you could invest, and they pay dividends.

7 May 2014
dtac announced strong profit and dividend payout for Q1 2014
Total Access Communication PLC or dtac announced continued growth despite soft economy and rising market competition.
Service revenue (excluding IC) grew 0.3% YoY, mainly contributed by the growth of mobile internet that increased 48.4% YoY.
Handset sales grew 15.6% YoY. Total revenue dropped to THB 22.4 billion due to a substantial drop by 50% in IC revenue, intense competition, political situations, and softer economy
Net profit grew 9.1% YoY to THB 3.3 billion as a result of increased EBITDA.
BANGKOK, May 6 (Reuters) - Advanced Info Service Pcl (AIS), Thailand's largest mobile phone operator, reported a better-than-expected 4.5 percent drop in first-quarter net profit on Tuesday, dragged down by weaker consumption and fierce competition after months of political unrest.
The Thai mobile sector, like many other consumption-related industries, has seen revenue suffer since political unrest began in November as delayed payments from a government rice-buying scheme and lower commodities prices have brought down consumer purchasing power.
Despite a 1.8 percent drop in first-quarter service revenue, the market leader has maintained its 2014 revenue growth forecast of 6-8 percent as it expects growth to accelerate in the second half, boosted by stronger network coverage, it said in a statement.
"With the lack of voice growth due to gloomy economic outlook and saturated market, revenue drivers depend more on rising adoption of smartphone users," AIS said.
AIS, 21 percent-owned by Singapore Telecommunications Ltd , posted a net profit of 9.48 billion baht ($293 million) for the January-March quarter, down from 9.92 billion a year earlier. The results beat the 9.24 billion baht average forecast by 11 analysts polled by Reuters.
Edited by lomatopo

You can login to AIS E-service web site and block any "informational" sms. Quite easy. I found it after lost ~500bt in one month on my kids phone with prepaid AIS SIM.

http://www.ais.co.th/eservice.html

It would help if you would explain the steps to do that. Using an Android device I access that page but it will not change to English. Using the headers to select Services or, indeed any of the headers, opens only the sales pitch for new phones.

About par for AIS. Crap Customer Service!

You will have to register for e-Services. https://aiseservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb/ (click on the "EN" tab)

AIS have an Android app which might offer this capability. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.eservice

You could also ring them on 1175, or drop them an email: [email protected] asking them to block 3rd party SMSes.

• Like 1

[snip, snip]

This was my first thought, that if someone obtains your number and calls you - text, message, sms, voice, whatever - how is this the responsibility of AIS, or why is AIS somehow involved in how you choose to react to it? I am so happy in Thailand that you do not pay for incoming messages, for example, as in America - you pay to send AND to receive there, it's quite maddening.

I do not accept any "callback" sort of messages here in Thailand from anyone I don't know, and from lots of people I do know, including my phone company. As soon as one comes in demanding/imploring I "click here" to answer it, I delete it, it's junk, I don't care what it says or offers, including all such messages from my phone company, which sends too many.

If someone sends you a link and you click on the link that is your decision. I'm not sure how anyone else is involved in that decision.

Anybody know what AIS 'excess promotion charges" are? They have been as high as Bt1000 on 2 occasions and seem too recurring to be caused by a promotion package ending and then being put on a new one - seems every month now - this month Bt142, last month similar. yeah I know it is AIS I should be asking but would like to hear any experience of others first.

I'm not sure how anyone else is involved in that decision.

All the CPA activity must be initiated by the customer. I think what happens is that:

- someone, other than the primary user, uses the phone (or the internet) to subscribe to a service: family members, friends, colleagues, work-mates playing a practical joke on someone, etc.

- the primary user accidentally registers for a service on a web-site; there was a spate of accidental Facebook status notification services resulting in direct carrier billing problems here a few years ago.

- someone inadvertently clicks on an SMS or email and subscribes to a service: horoscope, lucky number, football results, etc.

- someone mis-dials a telephone number which enrolls one in a paid service (in the U.S. some firms have toll-free numbers just one digit off from say an AT&T access number, and if you mis-dial then you've just enrolled $10/month "service".

If you've started receiving what appear to be wholly unsolicited, periodic SMSes be they in Thai or some other language, then it might be wise to look into it. To quote the OP: "They showed me several sms's from a company for some kind of information service."

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can login to AIS E-service web site and block any "informational" sms. Quite easy. I found it after lost ~500bt in one month on my kids phone with prepaid AIS SIM.

It would help if you would explain the steps to do that. Using an Android device I access that page but it will not change to English. Using the headers to select Services or, indeed any of the headers, opens only the sales pitch for new phones.

You will have to register for e-Services. https://aiseservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb/ (click on the "EN" tab)

AIS have an Android app which might offer this capability. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.eservice

You could also ring them on 1175, or drop them an email: [email protected] asking them to block 3rd party SMSes.

The one time I had some mysterious small amount being charged to my account I went to AIS customer service and they sorted it out right away. Similarly when I wanted to change the billing on my pre-paid account their customer service offered just what I wanted ... problem solved.

I suppose it's easier to just say they have "crap customer service," but it's odd that some people just seem to moan about everything and others have good experiences.

056cacb65c14cf35b6c1af28c87b3842.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Anybody know what AIS 'excess promotion charges" are? They have been as high as Bt1000 on 2 occasions and seem too recurring to be caused by a promotion package ending and then being put on a new one - seems every month now - this month Bt142, last month similar. yeah I know it is AIS I should be asking but would like to hear any experience of others first.

I'm pretty sure this is it:

You subscribe or buy a promotion. ILLUSTRATION: You buy a service that gives you 3GB download a month.

You download 4GB.

They charge you 1GB of "excess (to the) promotion"

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Convenient for whom? Maybe for .001% of people who actually use it vs 99.999% who get exploited by it.

I'm on postpaid. Problem started 3 mths ago. 1st mth about B50, 2nd mth B100 and finally B250. See a trend? Of course I check my bills when I can but small amounts tend to go unnoticed. They said they couldn't reverse the B100 because billing had already passed or something like that. They didn't give me any other info besides the company name and ph#.

Thanks.

Myself is using AIS pre-paid. I stopped doing post paid. They charge over the top. I got bills of 10-12,000 Baht a month for work calls. A lot of shady charges that I couldn't track.

On top of that I requested them for roaming for a specific period. When I came back they didnt cancelled the roaming but just automatically renew and tried to charge me 250,000 Baht. With pre-paid you know what you pay but even then I am surprised that the card slips rapidly. Previously I was with DTAC.

Continuous disconnections, sometimes 3 times in one call made me do the change. AIS seems to do the same.

Continously disconnecting. Everytime must call back and charging again. I assume there is no check on this here and no wonder that these companies are wealthy rich

In Europe there were also in history discussions on for consumers pay too much, were charged per minute while call a few seconds. There they made changes to the bills and charging in seconds instead of minutes. But that is far road from here I suppose.

Strange that you couldn't track your charges. The carrier is obligated by law to give you every single detail. Roughly 7 years ago I was with DTAC and roamed on a 3-week business trip in Malaysia. When I returned I got a massive bill which I knew had to be wrong. Got them to give me a printout of the call details. Sure enough I found several calls to Malaysian numbers which I never made. DTAC reversed those charges but how they ended up on my bill is a big mystery. Somehow I suspect it's no mystery to DTAC.

Regarding continuous disconnections, some friends of mine on DTAC a few years ago were also plagued with it. It was really bad. I thought it was just a network issue, but who knows?

Edited by puuchaibaa

[snip, snip]

This was my first thought, that if someone obtains your number and calls you - text, message, sms, voice, whatever - how is this the responsibility of AIS, or why is AIS somehow involved in how you choose to react to it? I am so happy in Thailand that you do not pay for incoming messages, for example, as in America - you pay to send AND to receive there, it's quite maddening.

I do not accept any "callback" sort of messages here in Thailand from anyone I don't know, and from lots of people I do know, including my phone company. As soon as one comes in demanding/imploring I "click here" to answer it, I delete it, it's junk, I don't care what it says or offers, including all such messages from my phone company, which sends too many.

If someone sends you a link and you click on the link that is your decision. I'm not sure how anyone else is involved in that decision.

I am very careful not to click anything strange or give out my phone number. It could be possible that a family member clicked something by accident, or were tricked in doing so by seeing some message imploring them that it was necessary in order to fix some software or whatever. Whatever the case, shady content providers operate on the premise that a certain % of people will do this.

So, the carrier companies, who register these content providers on their network, are not at all responsible for what happens to their customers? Well, at least they are being responsible to their shareholders -- it's obvious the carriers get a nice cut of the charges. Perhaps that explains why they are in no rush to remove CPA from their network. (And perhaps someone at the carrier company has a brother-in-law or two who happens to run a content provider or two. No, that would never happen.)

Ok, the customer is entirely responsible for their actions, stupid or otherwise.

Ok, the customer is entirely responsible for their actions, stupid or otherwise.

Seems that way. I think almost everyone has been caught out at sometime by unexpected mysterious mobile phone charges. I ignore all text messages unless from someone l know, l rarely give out my phone number to anyone l don't know, I've had Dtac block advertising text messages yet despite all that somehow l still receive some occasionally. Just glad I'm on pre-pay with a low credit balance so nothing much to lose.

• 2 weeks later...

How such company's open this kind of swevice?

Could be a good business when we sale a honest service!

One week ago some unknown person call my wife on 12 call for apply on the phone for this kind of spam. Offer

But she hang up also fake banks call all the time!

I'm sorry but couldn't disagree more with you about the customer service with AIS. In 12 years of using them they have never failed to sort out the few problems I have had promptly and easily. Their staff speak very good English and if they can't give you an answer there and then will call you back when they can.

An example. Our boat captain has a Thai song as his ring tone which I like. Being quiet in the afternoon i called AIS and explained that I would like the same ring tone for my phone. I gave them his number and they called it. Listened to the song then called me back. They explained that they had 4 different versions of the song and she then played them back to me over the phone asking which version I would like. When I told her which one she quickly arranged for it to be applied to my number within a few minutes.

I can honestly say I have received far better customer service here in Thailand than I ever got with all the mobile networks I used back in the UK. Far better indeed. Try asking for the above back in the UK and they would just laugh at you and hang up

• Like 1

When I told her which one she quickly arranged for it to be applied to my number within a few minutes.

I assume that you understand that you will have to pay a one-time fee, and a recurring fee each month to use this song as your "calling melody"?

I'm sorry but couldn't disagree more with you about the customer service with AIS. In 12 years of using them they have never failed to sort out the few problems I have had promptly and easily. Their staff speak very good English and if they can't give you an answer there and then will call you back when they can.

An example. Our boat captain has a Thai song as his ring tone which I like. Being quiet in the afternoon i called AIS and explained that I would like the same ring tone for my phone. I gave them his number and they called it. Listened to the song then called me back. They explained that they had 4 different versions of the song and she then played them back to me over the phone asking which version I would like. When I told her which one she quickly arranged for it to be applied to my number within a few minutes.

I can honestly say I have received far better customer service here in Thailand than I ever got with all the mobile networks I used back in the UK. Far better indeed. Try asking for the above back in the UK and they would just laugh at you and hang up

Maybe you have just been lucky, or I am unlucky. I pay 100 Baht a month for twenty hours internet with AIS. There were hours coming off without an explanation on two occasions ( no, I had not forgot to switch off internet) I went to AIS, the lady promised to look into it and get back to me, I said how do I know you will keep your word, the lady promised me she would definitely get back to me, she lied. this was not a local AIS, so I was not able to go back and see them.

My contract is about up and I don't want to renew. Anyone else I should try for a similar deal? DTAC maybe?