New mayor 'to use persuasion' to solve Phuket problems

webfact

New mayor 'to use persuasion' to solve Phuket problems
Wiparatana Nathalang

1399868719_1-org.jpg
Mayor-elect Chalermluck Kebsap in the garden of her Patong home.

PHUKET: -- Patong’s mayor-elect, Chalermluck Kebsap, has said she will tackle the town’s problems by trying to convince the people causing the problems to realise that they are damaging themselves in the long run.

Ms Chalermluck has yet to be confirmed in the post – confirmation from the Central Election Commission is due before the end of this month – but she is confident there will be no problems on that score.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Phuket News at her mansion on Phrabarami Rd in Patong, the former Member of Parliamentsaid, “The Election Commission (EC) is obliged to give approval within one month, which means I should be official by May 26.

“I’ve been told that the EC has received one appeal – an allegation of election fraud – but to my knowledge the appeal hasn’t been validated by the EC, who have not contacted me.

“Even if the appeal is validated, I’ve nothing to hide and am confident that I’ll be confirmed by May 26.

“That said, I’ve already started informal work by talking to various parties in the private and public sectors.

She won the election convincingly, with more than half of the votes cast. Was she surprised to win by that sort of margin?

Not at all, she says. “During campaigning, it became clear to me that the electorate wanted change and that my policies were in line with what they wanted. I was confident that I would win.”

Here are the new mayor’s thoughts on a variety of questions put to her during the interview.

What are your main priorities when you start?

I will start to implement all of my five [election campaign platform] policies simultaneously – traffic, flooding, environment, bad water and encroachment on public spaces. All are equal priorities.

What is your strategy for Patong Hill?

It will be step by step maintenance. We’ll start by alleviating specific hazard points, including reducing dangerous inclines and curves, while expanding certain segments prone to accidents.

There is not a budget yet to do everything at once but I will continue to work with the Phuket Highway District so that we can solve the problem together.

In general, the problem with traffic is not the lack of laws and regulations – there are plenty of laws in place. [The problem is] the enforcement of these existing laws, and this is why I will work closely with traffic police to ensure the laws are enforced.

And what’s your plan to address flooding and water shortages?

To alleviate flooding, we will dredge Klong Pak Bang [Patong’s main waterway, fed by all the smaller canals, which feeds out to the ocean near the Holiday Inn], so that runoff and sediment is carried out more quickly and efficiently after heavy rains.

As for water shortages, the people of Patong get their water from three main sources: public utility water [from Bang Wad reservoir], well water and that which is bottled and trucked in.

I would like to look into a fourth option – collecting and storing rain. Patong is surrounded by hills and so much runoff feeds creeks and ultimately ends out in the ocean, wasted.

We will study how we can collect this valuable source of water during the rainy season, and how we can feasibly store it locally, be it in small reservoirs or water tanks, to be used during the dry season.

What about wastewater?

One source of the problem is local residents and businesses illegally dumping their waste into the waterways. The other issue is related to maintenance of the wastewater treatment facility [close to Klong Pak Bang].

Actually, the facility has a capacity to handle up to 23,000 cubic meters per day but the current demand is only about 18,000 cubic meters per day. Occasionally, equipment breaks down and needs to be fixed.

We still need to study more and ensure the facility is always operating properly. Also, we will have to conduct surveys to identify any areas not in the coverage area, and link them in.

Garbage is also one of your priorities?

Indeed. I will implement a campaign “24-hour tidy Patong” to raise awareness among locals, not only about reducing garbage, but also the importance of separating wet and dry garbage at home.

Last year, Patong paid Phuket City Municipality B20 million to take and burn our garbage at their incinerator. Much of this expense can be turned into income, by separating and selling recyclables.

But, since most of our garbage is mixed, it’s difficult. So we’ll start here, campaigning at all levels of the community, especially in the schools as the young people can go on to teach the elders.

Another one of your campaign platforms is to returning public land back to the public. Can you elaborate?

Patong covers 16.4 square kilometres, but of this, less than one per cent is public land – namely, the beach and Loma Park. But even this one per cent is not always accessible by the public.

The beach area, for example, is overrun by locals trying to make a living – tuk tuks and car renters, food sellers, beach chair renters, for example.

While I respect the right of people to make a living, it needs to be within reason and regulated. People should be able to park their car or lie on the beach without being harrassed.

Also, for a third of the year, Loma Park is hosting some kind of an event, and not all of the events benefit Patong as a whole, so we need to look into screening this more and handing the land back to the people.

And what is your approach to the so-called mafia?

Most of the problems are not caused by the leaders but by local people who work under them. It goes back to the issue of public land being occupied and controlled by local people trying to earn a living.

My approach will not be hard-line – there won’t be any crack downs. But I intend to establish and maintain a healthy dialogue with the locals so as to create mutual understanding.

I understand their right to make a living, and they also need to understand that that they will eventually not be able to make a living if the tourists stop coming.

We need to move in right direction together for Patong, not [just] for personal profit.

What’s the situation with budget?

Patong municipality collects about B200 million a year from taxes, but our current budget is about double that. The rest comes from the central government, but it’s still not enough for everything, so I’ve got to work closely with all departments and agencies to ensure there is adequate budget and that the money is spent where it is needed most.

How will your governance style differ from that of the the previous mayor, Pian Keesin?

I don’t want to compare myself with my predecessor, but I can tell you about my style.

I will open the opportunity for ordinary Patong people to participate in the administration of Patong.

I want to show Patong people that my intentions of making Patong a better place are sincere. This is and always has been my home.

Have you appointed deputy mayors yet?

I have some people in mind already, but don’t want to say anything yet. You’ll know after May 26.

What leaders have inspired you?

Firstly, His Majesty the King, who has made so many sacrifices to serve the people. This is an important trait of a good leader.

Also, my late grandfather, Thawit Suthiparo who was the director of Suwankiriwong School. When I was young he encouraged me to study as much as I could so that I could move up in the world and one day come back to help my home town, to preserve it for future generations.

And here we are today.

Additional reporting by Steven Layne

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-mayor-%E2%80%98to-use-persuasion%E2%80%99-to-solve-phuket-problems-46219.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-12

• Like 2

Since when has trying to "convince" the people ever fixed anything?

We all know that if it affects their pockets, they will smile, nod and carry on as before.

My hopes for this new mayor have been dashed before she has even got started.

• Like 1

I didn't know that asking wannabe mafiosos nicely works. "Please move your tuk tuks. Please charge reasonable fairs. Please have proper boat captains. Please don't tout sex shows and endangered wildlife." We've been doing this all wrong the whole time. We just had to ask nicely.

• Like 1

I certainly won't hold my breath.

Corruption is now so deeply entrenched in Phuket that it will be near impossible to control yet alone eradicate. Too many people are so short sighted that for the sake of short term gain they are willing to kill the golden goose. The Europeans have declined while the Russians and Chinese have increased their tourist numbers. However the Chineses are not known to be big spenders having bought the package in China.

As a simple example.....taxis and tuk tuk would probable make more money if they dropped their rates and became less hostile. Jet skis should easily make a really decent living without having to resort to cheating and defrauding...even doing so with regular acts of violence. But then the corruption goes beyond the guys on the beach and the thugs in the tuk tuks.

It has been allowed to go for far too long that it now seems to be a basic right to cheat, defraud and scam.

• Like 1

Yea good luck, noticed no mention of the Jet ski scam, it seems now to be too well established a scam to do anything about.

Mayor Kunplome in Pattaya after 6 years in office, has'nt been able to stop it there.

Maybe its time, just to admit it Thailand, scams are here to stay, and Tourists should be made aware and to expect it ,its thainess and ingrained in society here.

they need clean up and remove all the people in Bangla road that offer Ping Pong show,, is very annoying for every turist that every 4meter to get a4 page sticked up in your face and walk way blocked by this idiots.

get rid of the tuck tuck,, get normal taxis with taxi meter . Stop police from extortion of every buisness in patong for money.. Open for legal have open clubs til 4 clock that is in somewhat protected for sound not spread all over town.

about the Garbage, the workers there now on the trucks ,sort out most of the plastic by them own,, and them and their boss make money themselfs on that,,and thats actually ok, when have shitty job as it is, probaly low paid also..

But to be honest, nothing will change , all will be same same..

• Like 2

they need clean up and remove all the people in Bangla road that offer Ping Pong show,, is very annoying for every turist that every 4meter to get a4 page sticked up in your face and walk way blocked by this idiots.

get rid of the tuck tuck,, get normal taxis with taxi meter . Stop police from extortion of every buisness in patong for money.. Open for legal have open clubs til 4 clock that is in somewhat protected for sound not spread all over town.

And while we're at it, let's cure the world of all known diseases and impose world-wide peace.........

hahaha, what a joke. without all the mafia (of course supporters from the yellows) in phuket town she never would be major and now she will speak with them to change some thing. same happens in patong. the only change will be the money from the mafia will go now in different pockets.. thats why she said nothing in special. only many words of bla bla bla clap2.gif

I certainly won't hold my breath.

Corruption is now so deeply entrenched in Phuket that it will be near impossible to control yet alone eradicate. Too many people are so short sighted that for the sake of short term gain they are willing to kill the golden goose. The Europeans have declined while the Russians and Chinese have increased their tourist numbers. However the Chineses are not known to be big spenders having bought the package in China.

As a simple example.....taxis and tuk tuk would probable make more money if they dropped their rates and became less hostile. Jet skis should easily make a really decent living without having to resort to cheating and defrauding...even doing so with regular acts of violence. But then the corruption goes beyond the guys on the beach and the thugs in the tuk tuks.

It has been allowed to go for far too long that it now seems to be a basic right to cheat, defraud and scam.

Scamming, lying, fraud...has been a basic tenet of doing business in Thailand for decades...is not going to change by gentle persuasion...will take strict law enforcement...(good luck with that)

And while we're at it, let's cure the world of all known diseases and impose world-wide peace.........

Well, he really is only describing what every truly "World Class Tourist Destination" has, not what Phuket falsely advertises itself to be and/or have.

"Use persuasion". Isn't that the sort of language Al Capone used? I'll wager my last few spare satang that this translates to telling complaining tourists to keep their yaps shut before some sort of accident happens.

No politician should ever be trusted but in a place such as Phuket you should be very wary of them.

Before we cry a bowel full of tears, why don't we give the lady a chance. Maybe she might surprise one and all. She has a heavy plate in front of her but she seems determined and has a positive outlook. A strong person can do wonders if given half a chance so instead of complaining, try giving moral support and thanking her for taking on this enormous task of trying to rejuvenating this area to the beauty and splendor it once was. It has to start someplace/sometime and maybe she's the right person for the job.

• Like 1

Yea good luck, noticed no mention of the Jet ski scam, it seems now to be too well established a scam to do anything about.

Mayor Kunplome in Pattaya after 6 years in office, has'nt been able to stop it there.

Maybe its time, just to admit it Thailand, scams are here to stay, and Tourists should be made aware and to expect it ,its thainess and ingrained in society here.

A reasonable point. maybe the TOT can hand out a flyer at immigration, as you are entering the country. It could state:

1. Do not rent a jet ski. We cannot control these thugs, and you may risk losing over $3,000 over nothing. If you protest you may either get shot or beat up by a gang of punks.

2. Do not swim in the ocean. we cannot control the dumping of waste, and you can end up very sick from swallowing human waste matter.

3. Beware of all tuk tuk and taxi drivers on Phuket or Samui. We have tried to control them, but they wield more power than both the police or the government, add we have given up.

4. Be aware that the police in our country are very weak. They will not fine you for driving excessively fast, nor will they arrest you for driving drunk. In addition, many of the local drivers lack skill. Because of this, we have the second highest fatality rate in the world per capita on our roads. So be exceedingly careful on the roads, as we cannot ensure your safety. Many foreigners leave here in a casket due to our indifference.

Would that get some kind of reaction?

Spot on...

Before we cry a bowel full of tears, why don't we give the lady a chance. Maybe she might surprise one and all. She has a heavy plate in front of her but she seems determined and has a positive outlook. A strong person can do wonders if given half a chance so instead of complaining, try giving moral support and thanking her for taking on this enormous task of trying to rejuvenating this area to the beauty and splendor it once was. It has to start someplace/sometime and maybe she's the right person for the job.

EXACTLY!!!

Lets not forget she won this thing!!! Who would have bet against the Lord Mayor himself? not I!!!! Therefore she has some money (this we know) some connections and some serious pull!

EXACTLY!!!

Lets not forget she won this thing!!! Who would have bet against the Lord Mayor himself? not I!!!! Therefore she has some money (this we know) some connections and some serious pull!

Quote: "......and some serious pull".

As do many of the massage parlours in the soi named after her in Patong!! (A friend told me).

• Like 1

She has connections mate, more than the local tribal morons in Patong - she was, afertall, and MP and her family name i swell respected in Patong. All of which make a heady mix, how that will translate into action and policy remains to be seen

• Like 1

A reasonable point. maybe the TOT can hand out a flyer at immigration, as you are entering the country. It could state:

1. Do not rent a jet ski. We cannot control these thugs, and you may risk losing over $3,000 over nothing. If you protest you may either get shot or beat up by a gang of punks.

2. Do not swim in the ocean. we cannot control the dumping of waste, and you can end up very sick from swallowing human waste matter.

3. Beware of all tuk tuk and taxi drivers on Phuket or Samui. We have tried to control them, but they wield more power than both the police or the government, add we have given up.

4. Be aware that the police in our country are very weak. They will not fine you for driving excessively fast, nor will they arrest you for driving drunk. In addition, many of the local drivers lack skill. Because of this, we have the second highest fatality rate in the world per capita on our roads. So be exceedingly careful on the roads, as we cannot ensure your safety. Many foreigners leave here in a casket due to our indifference.

Would that get some kind of reaction?

Photos included in the flyer: Beat up farangs bleeding all over the place. Black klong water freely running onto the beaches. Stereotypical tuk tuk guys i.e. shirt half up, finger in nose, mirrored glasses, long hair and horribly thin goatee, trying to sell cocaine to tourists. And of course countless pics of motorbike fatalities.

So, we have a Governer "urging:" and a Mayor "persuading."

Who's actually "doing?" biggrin.png

Tuk tuk drivers - they are ACTUALLY ripping people off, no doubt about it

They are the ones actually "urging" and "persuading" the western tourists to holiday somewhere else. biggrin.png