Jasmine rice.............what's the big deal?

jaideeguy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Buy cheap rice and it's likely to involve an expensive trip to the dentist. You are more than likely to find a stone in cheap rice.

Or some extra work, you really do get what you pay for, and if you want to get the stones out yourself you can save penny.

I don't and I don't.

But some do need, can and do. I buy de-stoned rice too, rice is not actually that large a percentage of my salary so I feel that I can afford a mid priced variety. I buy GABBA.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many other starches out there and I do cook and eat MY potatoes, pasta, corn, taro, bread, pies and the many other options that the Thais just don't consider. Even if she did cook decent rice I still need some variety. anything but rice/noodles/rice/rice/noodles.

My daughter is the most open minded in that she likes my options mostly, but I can't get them to appreciate corn as an alternative to rice.

BTW, I'm making corn tamales tonight!!

Buy it yourself then

You beat me to the punch... I was going to say, why don't you do the shopping ?

OR, as many have already suggested, cook your own to your liking... really not a monumental problem.

If this is the biggest issue you have with wifey.... you're on a winner.

How's this for oneupmanship? We take our own Hom Mali when we go on holiday along with a rice cooker. My digestion got blocked by cheap rice one time, something that hadn't happened for years. I haven't found a brown rice I can eat yet.

It saddens me to hear of the OP's severe predicament. I guess I am spoilt with a Thai wife that not only can cook (didnt know there was any other kind) but grow our own Thai Hom Malee rice and a small area of Glutenous rice on her farm. Got the Kubota on the farm today to kick off this years crop. Hope we get a bit more rain over the next few days. I guess not everbody is not as lucky.

I find these type of posts totally unbelievable- my Thai wife does not clean properly , she can't cook my chips well, she does not know how to use gravy granules ( a disgusting product from the UK) , she burns the pork chops, she dares to cook stinky Thai food etc etc etc.

I can imagine these people sitting around waiting for poor wifey to pour their next cheap beer.

Maybe a cookery course- its fun, and takes some pressure of the kitchen / cleaning staff ( the wife)

Try getting it straight from the farm and not the store and buy a Toshiba rice cooker with a 4mm forged thick pot. I now cook all the rice at home by request. My cooker also has a timed thing so I can set it at night to start cooking an hour before we get up.

Cool, you seem quiet rice-organized!

• Like 1

I try to eat brown rice, because of its health benefits. Some rice does taste better than others to me, but the difference is so slight that - to me - it is not worth bothering with. It is what goes on top that makes the difference. I'm not crazy about sticky rice, but will eat it with the dishes that it goes with. It tastes a little too much like plastic for my tastes.

Try getting it straight from the farm and not the store and buy a Toshiba rice cooker with a 4mm forged thick pot. I now cook all the rice at home by request. My cooker also has a timed thing so I can set it at night to start cooking an hour before we get up.

Cool, you seem quiet rice-organized!

Or, to use the correct term, "orgariced"

T

Here in UK we buy our jasmine rice for £15 a 10 kilo bag, I thought that's reasonable. Mrs cooks rice virtually on a daily basis. Never sticks to pan etc, but she doesn't use a cooker, just covered saucepan

Reading the guys noting that brown rice more healthier, I wasn't aware of that

Buy cheap rice and it's likely to involve an expensive trip to the dentist. You are more than likely to find a stone in cheap rice.

Your right...and I did...

cracked a molar in half in the Philippines. I told the dentist there was a piece of gravel in the rice (they dry it on the side of the road and cars often grind it into the pavement.

The dentist shook his head and laughed...but it was true.

we never buy white Jasmine rice. 90% of the time we use brown rice - a few variations. for khao man gai we use mun poo rice.

i too, prefer the Japanese or the Basmati rice but as said, seldom ever eat white rice.

Yup 99% of the time brown rice.

Sometimes if I have an Indian curry, I will eat white Basmati.

Can tell the difference right away, by the aroma.

This. Jasmine rice is very fragrant. Although as far as flavor goes, I don't notice much of a difference after I get done piling curry chicken or whatever on top of it. Rice here is like baked potatoes in the west - the potato is mainly a delivery medium for salt, pepper, sour cream and butter.

90% of the time we use brown rice - a few variations. for khao man gai we use mun poo rice.

Why am I not surprised that something called mun poo rice is brown?

I'm not concerned with the cost of the rice but am really confused over her need to cook such a large batch of it all the time. Our daughter no longer lives at home and there is only the two of us yet she insists on cooking a arge batch of rice every day sometimes every other. I have tried to explain that we only eat so much rice but it seems to make no difference. Any one else ??

• Like 1

In my house the lice my wife use come from Tesco I say no go it just makes goo goo sticky with a hint of water,she say up to you I say you oughta brought the hom Malee very nice lice from talat nat she say shut up you twa# how you know that.

I say cos I am the man I am from angrit she say you still talk sh#t even though you been here long time and I tell her I know the price of lime peng mak mak then she hits me round the head and we go to bed.

I'll get me coat.

Edited by stoneyboy

I'm not concerned with the cost of the rice but am really confused over her need to cook such a large batch of it all the time. Our daughter no longer lives at home and there is only the two of us yet she insists on cooking a arge batch of rice every day sometimes every other. I have tried to explain that we only eat so much rice but it seems to make no difference. Any one else ??

Yeah, mine too but luckily we have Thai dogs and chickens to eat the surplus..............but kind of a waste to feed dogs and chickens Jasmine rice at 2X the price.

I do insist on fresh cooked, so she has some justification to feed gourmet rice to the animals.

PS............my tamales were great [to me only] but no problem as I froze the leftovers for quick microwave lunches instead of her shop bought noodles.

I don't know about you guys but in our village there is an epidemic of Type 2 diabetes. Both my wifes parents have it and my wife has slightly raised blood sugar levels. Consequently our doctor in Australia has advised her to only eat brown rice. Traditionally village people ate brown rice as they couldn't afford white rice. As everybody in the village seems to be more affluent nowadays they eat white rice and get diabetes (a nasty killer). So you could suggest to your wife that there might be health risks in eating the most expensive rice.

isaan is a world leader in typeII

I myself much prefer Basmati,flavour and fluffy grains,i do eat Thai rice but my wife does not buy Jasmine, but some other type,she to cooks it in the rice cooker,it's okay but i do find as you say it tends to stick together and you have to kind of gently chop away at it with a spoon to break it up,the sticky rice i do not like at all,but for me Basmati is the best.

Agree one hundred per cent, but for us it tends to stick to the bottom of the rice pot ( not too much ) Cajun buy it in Makro, basmati no one usa long grain no two, however never seen that here.

Hard to believe the daughter of an Isaan rice farmer can't cook the staple ingredient.

The options are:

A new rice cooker, as already suggested

Cook it yourself, which might result in the above.

Buy it ready cooked, which mine will do in BKK, but never back at home. But then she can cook it well.

Well,,,,,now we know why there are so many kinds of rice. I'm not fixated on one kind of rice. I try to match the rice with the other food I am cooking. Thus I usually have different kinds of rice in the house. My Thai wife goes along with my way of variation but tends to prefer Thai Jasmine. I usually have Thai Jasmine, Basmati, Cal-Rose, Japanese short grain, Wild Rice and Brown Rice and of course Sweet Rice (Sticky Rice).

And being from Wyoming I also load rice up with greasy globs of Baked Ham gravy with lots of butter.......

I am a Thai who does not eat white rice on a daily basis. I do not eat rice every day and I do not buy jasmine rice. My favorite kinds of rice are red, brown, black glutinous rice, short grain Japanese rice and mixed grains. I usually mix those grains and variety kinds of rice together or cook them separately. I cook in electric rice cooker (I have a Japanese made "Sanyo" rice cooker that is 28-29 years old and still does a good job!!). It is fun eating those tasty and small nutty textures.

Basmati rice, short grain Japanese rice and mixed grains sold in USA are cheaper than in Thailand For example, I bought a 5 lb. bag of short grain Japanese rice for $4.99 at a Chinese supermarket. I saw a small bag of 1 lb. of brown rice sold at a Saha korn supermarket in Bangkok for 45 THB. I can easily find abundant raw ingredients food and variety of fresh vegetables in my neighborhood at a cheaper price than in Bangkok. There are majority Chinese live in this neighborhood and that has made this area one of a fresh produce shopping district that I do not have to go to China town to shop and the plus side is fresh food price is cheaper than in China town in NY.

Edited by BrooklynNY
  • Like 1

we never buy white Jasmine rice. 90% of the time we use brown rice - a few variations. for khao man gai we use mun poo rice.

i too, prefer the Japanese or the Basmati rice but as said, seldom ever eat white rice.

I do not eat white rice either, when home. Attached is the reason. The numbers given are from the University of Upsala. I have converted them into this graph.

Not to mention the recent studies on the relationship between rice and diabetes--best to stick with brown, basmati, rice.

Although as a few other posters have queried--what kind of cheap charlie gets upset over the cost of rice?

You should consider going to the farmer and buying bulk just like going to the piers to buy your seafood.