Tesco Lotus steps up its 'no plastic bag' campaign in Phuket

webfact

It's all about idiot political correctness.

Why do they not offer a recycling bin for old plastic carrier bags that are not re-used by the customer for other purposes such a garbage if they feel so strongly about it.

They could even extend it to recycling other items.

But the "green" philosophy gives supermarkets the opportunity to make cash by inconveniencing shoppers.

Political pressure and greed, they get a payoff by charging customers for carrier bags.

And the green lobbyists behind this scam get paid to sit in their meetings all day, whilst swigging coke from two litre plastic coke bottles, each of which contains as much plastic as several thousand carrier bags.

Absolute scum.

Edited by davee58
  • Like 1

I don't quite get all the positive "the plastic bags can be used as trash bags" bit. I cannot see plastic bags being at all positive unless they are reused and reused. I have a large reusable plastic bin outside my house. In the house are numerous reusable plastic bins. As they fill or the day before trash day I empty the house bins into the outside bin and wash them all out. If you place your trash into a plastic bag then dispose of it it's re-usability is ONE. Not very effective or positive IMO. All my plastic bins are reused over and over and bags that I get from stores are reused over and over at the same store. Tesco even gives you points for doing so.

REFUSE or REUSE MORE THAN ONCE.

• Like 1

I don't quite get all the positive "the plastic bags can be used as trash bags" bit. I cannot see plastic bags being at all positive unless they are reused and reused. I have a large reusable plastic bin outside my house. In the house are numerous reusable plastic bins. As they fill or the day before trash day I empty the house bins into the outside bin and wash them all out. If you place your trash into a plastic bag then dispose of it it's re-usability is ONE. Not very effective or positive IMO. All my plastic bins are reused over and over and bags that I get from stores are reused over and over at the same store. Tesco even gives you points for doing so.

You have to think the whole picture, not just what you see here and now.

I don't have real data and at this point make assumptions based of the production prices.

Plastic bags are made of oil, which is nasty stuff itself. Cloth bags are made of cotton, which requires land to grow. There will be lot's of fertilisers put to the ground, which will pollute the waters and cause stagnant waters to lack oxygen.. and then we need ozone purifiers, using energy to clean these waters.

Cloth bags require washing every now and then, which also increase pollution to the waters. When the bag is washed some times, it will have to be replaced with a new bag.

If a cloth bag costs 10 baht for the shop and the plastic one 0.2 satang, then I assume that it takes 50 times more energy to make an cloth bag compared to a plastic bag. If the plastic bag is reused once (bringing good from the shop and then used as trash bag), then the cloth bag should be reused for 100 times to make it as energy efficient as the plastic bag is. I'm not so sure these cloth bag are used so many times. 10/15 times perhaps on average as some of those are used only once or 5 times.

I think Tesco Lotus just ran out of plastic bags, and because they couldn't cover it up with black paint, some bright spark piped up with "Why don't we just have a 'no plastic bag' campaign?"

Well done, took to get to #19 comment, but there goes the TV cynicism we all love

• Like 1

You have to think the whole picture, not just what you see here and now.

I don't have real data and at this point make assumptions based of the production prices.

Plastic bags are made of oil, which is nasty stuff itself. Cloth bags are made of cotton, which requires land to grow. There will be lot's of fertilisers put to the ground, which will pollute the waters and cause stagnant waters to lack oxygen.. and then we need ozone purifiers, using energy to clean these waters.

Cloth bags require washing every now and then, which also increase pollution to the waters. When the bag is washed some times, it will have to be replaced with a new bag.

If a cloth bag costs 10 baht for the shop and the plastic one 0.2 satang, then I assume that it takes 50 times more energy to make an cloth bag compared to a plastic bag. If the plastic bag is reused once (bringing good from the shop and then used as trash bag), then the cloth bag should be reused for 100 times to make it as energy efficient as the plastic bag is. I'm not so sure these cloth bag are used so many times. 10/15 times perhaps on average as some of those are used only once or 5 times.

I had made no mention of cloth bags so your post is completely irrelevant to mine and should not have been quoted.

My post is about reusing plastic bags more than once and not just for initial carrying from shop and then as trash bag. Nothing to do with ENERGY, FERTILIZERS, COTTON BAGS and all your other irrelevant (to my post) items.

I had made no mention of cloth bags so your post is completely irrelevant to mine and should not have been quoted.

My post is about reusing plastic bags more than once and not just for initial carrying from shop and then as trash bag. Nothing to do with ENERGY, FERTILIZERS, COTTON BAGS and all your other irrelevant (to my post) items.

You are right. Sorry, my mistake.