Senate: Thailand needs interim government

webfact

Senate: Thailand needs interim government

BANGKOK, 15 May 2014 (NNT) - The Senate and 12 key organizations of the country agree that there must be an interim government and propose that the Senate plays an important role in finding solutions to the political crisis.

The meeting between the Senate and the 12 organizations took place on Wednesday to discuss the political deadlock. They reportedly agreed that the caretaker government had limited powers and it was necessary to have an administration with full powers to run the country.

They also expressed concerns over a delayed general election which was very likely and its effects on the country’s development.

Senate Member Wanchai Sornsiri said a majority of the meeting participants agreed that the political standoff must end and a provisional government should be appointed to reform the country within 6-12 months.

Mr Wanchai stressed that the Senate would be the main organization to find the best solution to the crisis.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-15 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The country definitely needs a government. Elections on the short term do not seem possible. Then yes, the senate should play a central part in installing a temp government. Or perhaps the King.

A new pm should be one acceptable to all sides. My favorite would be Surin. Someone else suggested Prayuth. Anyone else have a constructive idea?

Disband all protest movements, restore law and order and have elections three months afterwards- everybody has said their piece now it's time to get back to reality. Interim govt making reforms on behalf of who? It is just not valid.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On behalf of the people via a referendum or is it only palatable to have reforms on behalf of Phuea Thai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did anyone think that elections is the way to have a new government? The people have a right to select who represents them. Elections than reforms than new elections is the only way to go.

Half don't trust the PTP or its motives , so what are you going to do if they don't vote and the numbers fall short for an mandate.

• Like 1

Did anyone think that elections is the way to have a new government? The people have a right to select who represents them. Elections than reforms than new elections is the only way to go.

Sure, IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. This is not normal GET IT??? It is the way to go, when you know who is left to vote for.

How stupid to have a vote when half the candidates could well be summand to attend courts. This same old line elections will solve everything is the denials only weapon. ( the only way to go, the will of the people, democracy) sort out your thinking.

You afraid reforms may damage the chance you have to get back in control. getting edgy and panicky are we. Follow the money----let the judicial courts clear the mess up.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sure, IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. This is not normal GET IT??? It is the way to go, when you know who is left to vote for.

How stupid to have a vote when half the candidates could well be summand to attend courts. This same old line elections will solve everything is the denials only weapon. ( the only way to go, the will of the people, democracy) sort out your thinking.

You afraid reforms may damage the chance you have to get back in control. getting edgy and panicky are we. Follow the money----let the judicial courts clear the mess up.

You just hit the nail on the head , to get Thailand back on the road map to piece you would think that after all the shonky failure tactic's from the PTP they would be pushing for reforms ,anything to get Thailand moving ,would reforms hurt their chances of carrying out Thaskins dream, I believe like many the PTP have an alternative motive.

• Like 1

This will be than: Elections before no reforms and than new Elections without reforms...

Elections and then in 4 years another election.

Democracy is not perfect but if Thailand allows democracy they will eventually get fair government.

When the Bangkok elite keep taking away the people's chosen government it just leads to extremes and a divided society.

East Germany needed 50 years with elections. In North Korea still work in progress. I think the party just won with 99.9 %, but eventually there will be change...

A constitutional convention is needed while the election goes forward and a government is elected with the mandate to govern. Constitution convention delegates representative of the whole of the population need to be elected to write a new charter covenant by which the country will function.

An exclusionary government appointed by those who appoint is a farce and a guaranteed failure.

No one anywhere at any time has ever improved democracy by attacking voters at the polls on election day while promising to conduct, honor, respect the holding of....elections. The absurdity and the vile cynicism of Suthep and the PDRC are self evident. No one can trust or believe them concerning their so called "reforms."

Meanwhile the PM the country presently has is the only PM the country needs or should have.

You talk complete rubbish and bumf.

No elected government that ruled undemocratically should not be given second chances.

AGAIN please do not blame protesters for preventing voting, as everyone knows deplorable governing caused it all. They should bow out of the scene for their part in all these deaths and turmoil.

To my mind there is no PM worthy in the PTP to hold any position. Guilty Mi Lord.

• Like 2

no reforms then elections..i think these people who are thai know better than us..correct.coffee1.gif it is their country..

but more voting Thais disagree. How can you have reforms before an election? Who will make these reforms? What legitimacy will they have?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Was the American constitution made by an elected government? No, but people still thinks it has legitimacy...

• Like 2

Disband all protest movements, restore law and order and have elections three months afterwards- everybody has said their piece now it's time to get back to reality. Interim govt making reforms on behalf of who? It is just not valid.

On behalf of the people via a referendum or is it only palatable to have reforms on behalf of Phuea Thai.

The last referendum was on the 2007 Constitution. As you know, the military dictatorship stated that there would be no elections unless its constitution was passed. The dictatorship also forbade any dissenting views and outlawed any activity that was not in support of the constitution. That's how referendums have been conducted in Thailand.

The PTP gets its mandate at the ballot box. The Democrats and the military dictatorship get their mandate by pointing guns at people and by suspending civil liberties.

Lie 1: No, the government told that if the 2007 constitution got rejected, it will go with a slight modified 1996 constitution.

Lie 2: Dissenting views were not forbidden and the Thaksin camp did a lot "anti-constitution", no one was ever arrested because of promoting to vote not to it. I was here at that time.

The PTP gets his mandate with vote buying. The Democrats don't get it at all, as they aren't rich enough to buy the votes.

• Like 2

The point is that you aren't going to get reforms out of an elected government, only "reforms". The table needs to be cleared by people who will NOT be standing for office afterwards.

• Like 2

The last referendum was on the 2007 Constitution. As you know, the military dictatorship stated that there would be no elections unless its constitution was passed. The dictatorship also forbade any dissenting views and outlawed any activity that was not in support of the constitution. That's how referendums have been conducted in Thailand.

The PTP gets its mandate at the ballot box. The Democrats and the military dictatorship get their mandate by pointing guns at people and by suspending civil liberties.

Lie 1: No, the government told that if the 2007 constitution got rejected, it will go with a slight modified 1996 constitution.

Lie 2: Dissenting views were not forbidden and the Thaksin camp did a lot "anti-constitution", no one was ever arrested because of promoting to vote not to it. I was here at that time.

The PTP gets his mandate with vote buying. The Democrats don't get it at all, as they aren't rich enough to buy the votes.

Agree with the first part disagree with the second.

My Thai wife and immediate family are lifelong Democrat supporters and come election time take the handout from the local Democrat candidate.

Vote buying takes place by ALL political parties.

Hopefully, if reform does happen, this will be one of the first things to be addressed.

• Like 1

Do not blame the protesters for blocking the vote!

What the basic human right to vote ?

I don't want to live in your world!

Who did you reply to ???? why not post properly using the original poster ?? again you did this and cut out the bits that suit, you think posters do not know your game ???

No elections should take place until all the guilty are rounded up and punished for diabolical governing.

Your world is not genuine, it is undemocratic. The said government are guilty of abnormal governing--this is your world ???

The basic right to vote---as it should be is when the country is restored to some sort of normality. Then the Thai people will feel free to vote without any intimidation---NOT UNTIL normality is restored. You are unbelievable--in your world.

• Like 1

The yellow shirts and their proxies are desperately weaseling themselves into a power grab. This is just another dirty trick in their long list of shameful attempts in swindling the electorate.

• Like 2

Agree with the first part disagree with the second.

My Thai wife and immediate family are lifelong Democrat supporters and come election time take the handout from the local Democrat candidate.

Vote buying takes place by ALL political parties.

Hopefully, if reform does happen, this will be one of the first things to be addressed.

YES you cannot receive money if the source is dry---it is the same with drugs. if the corrupt people are allowed to carry on without jail - elections are not valid.