US rebuked Norway after Obama Nobel Prize: envoy

webfact

US rebuked Norway after Obama Nobel Prize: envoy
AFP

OSLO--Barack Obama's administration rebuked Norway after he won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, saying it was an awkward honor for an as-yet untested leader, a Norwegian diplomat revealed on Thursday.

“My most embarrassing day at the U.N., at the time when I was Norway's ambassador there, was when Obama's Nobel Peace Prize was announced. Nobody was talking about it,” said Morten Wetland, who served at the U.N. from 2008 to 2012.

“My colleague in Washington received a reprimand from Obama's chief of staff (Rahn Emmanuel, at the time). The word 'fawning' was used,” Wetland added in an article in Norwegian daily Dagens Naeringsliv.

The diplomat said that the prize put Obama, who was nominated for the prize just weeks after taking office, in a difficult position.

“An American president wants to set his own agenda. Here he was forced into a role that he hadn't sought,” Wetland said.

Source: http://www.chinapost.com.tw/life/offbeat/2014/05/16/407845/US-rebuked.htm

-- China Post 2014-05-19

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't his fault they did that foolish thing. To decline would have been undiplomatic as well. It's funny looking back that it even happened. I think perhaps the prize might have been more apt to all of the American people for symbolically and finally moving on from the slavery era by electing an African American as president. Hard to cut it up like that though.

He's only 50% African American

It wasn't his fault they did that foolish thing. To decline would have been undiplomatic as well. It's funny looking back that it even happened. I think perhaps the prize might have been more apt to all of the American people for symbolically and finally moving on from the slavery era by electing an African American as president. Hard to cut it up like that though.

He's only 50% African American

Actually, he is 50% African.

• Like 2

Don't be so pedantic. He ran as an African American and he lived his life perceived as as one based on his ethnic features. Race is a often a social construct. For all history he will be considered the first African American U.S. president regardless of nit picking pedantry.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think his Muslim family connection even though he's not a Muslim had a lot to do with it. I think Europeans had a lot of hope that the Islamic world and the USA would make peace because of this personal connection. That hope was totally unfounded ... but it was a nice thought while it lasted!

Edited by Jingthing

Obama was elevated from obscurity and portrayed as the new saviour. The hype that went into his campaign was unprecedented. Even the opposition only out up a feeble attempt against his election. As soon as he was elected his handlers turned on him. First embarrassment was the noble peace prize. After this Obama ws led by the nose from one embarrassing disaster after the other, where he was made to look foolish and weak.

This has all been done to ensure that it will be a very long time before a black man is elected president in the US again. The world economy and regional tensions were just perfect to elevate him for this exercise.

• Like 1

I don't think that Obama harms the chances of the next African-American president. I do think the next one will be need to have more EXPERIENCE before being elected though. Obama caught a historical wave, perfect and LUCKY political timing, kind of like Conchita Wurst, and those can never be counted on. If Obama is painted a failure by history (we'll see, early yet) it won't be blamed on his race but rather it will be about his character, behavior, performance, and yes lack of experience before taking office.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

OK. In my experience, the hyphenation is common with early generation immigrants from anywhere. It's complicated of course. German-Americans had issues with their identity in the last century so you don't hear that one so much.

Edited by Jingthing

Potentially the biggest farce in Noble Prize history, was the awarding of the peace prize to Obama. Whether awarded back then as it was or anytime throughout his presidency. sad.png

At least he didn't start numerous pointless wars like his predecessors or listen to John McCain who wanted to start a new war every month.

Then they nominated Vladimir, so the Obama nomination faded in significance. Maybe next year it'll be Kim Jong-Un.

0.jpg

"Obama's chief of staff (Rahn Emmanuel, at the time). "

His name is Rahm.

Well this thread didn't take long to descend into a farce did it?

No it didn't.because when you make a relevent point,backed up with fact it then descents into a PC arguement.White is white,black is black,prove to me that fact is wrong.Likewise someone will argue that the sun never rises in the east.

Obama was elevated from obscurity and portrayed as the new saviour. The hype that went into his campaign was unprecedented. Even the opposition only out up a feeble attempt against his election. As soon as he was elected his handlers turned on him. First embarrassment was the noble peace prize. After this Obama ws led by the nose from one embarrassing disaster after the other, where he was made to look foolish and weak.

This has all been done to ensure that it will be a very long time before a black man is elected president in the US again. The world economy and regional tensions were just perfect to elevate him for this exercise.

The phrase "Sacrificial Lamb " comes to mind.Same in the UK,the clever guys never want to be in the spotlight but always behind the scenes.

I don't think that Obama harms the chances of the next African-American president. I do think the next one will be need to have more EXPERIENCE before being elected though. Obama caught a historical wave, perfect and LUCKY political timing, kind of like Conchita Wurst, and those can never be counted on. If Obama is painted a failure by history (we'll see, early yet) it won't be blamed on his race but rather it will be about his character, behavior, performance, and yes lack of experience before taking office.

Gotta admire your fortitude,you have got what the UK had in Thatcher ( the wicked witch ).She went down as the most hated PM in British history.Have a look at the press and youtube when she died.I

Gotta admire your fortitude,you have got what the UK had in Thatcher ( the wicked witch ).She went down as the most hated PM in British history.Have a look at the press and youtube when she died.I

On another thread, I would be happy to list some items that historians will consider among Obama's strengths and achievements. But that's too broad for this topic. Obviously, no mortal could live up to the hopes and expectations put upon him upon election. He will be judged historically in an objective way and it's just too early to tell exactly how.

Well this thread didn't take long to descend into a farce did it?

No it didn't.because when you make a relevent point,backed up with fact it then descents into a PC arguement.White is white,black is black,prove to me that fact is wrong.Likewise someone will argue that the sun never rises in the east.

The sun doesn't rise in the east, The sun is stationary. The rotation of the earth makes it seem like the sun is rising, but it doesn't. It's all relative smile.png

• Like 1

You must be a gambler,you are hedging your bets,as you do on all of your responses,if you have an intelligent constructive,non arguementative answer.But noting that you have 51k posts on here,that says to me you are a sad soul.If the mods ban me then I know which way they lean.

• Like 1

Isn't the Nobel prize Swedish?

Yes,but the Peace price is given out in Norway by a commite of Norwegian politicians,the chairman being a little naive and pushed for the price to be given to Obama : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorbj%C3%B8rn_Jagland

As a Norwegian this is truly one of the more embarrasing moments for us internationally wub.png !!

Edited by Yahooka
  • Like 2

You must be a gambler,you are hedging your bets,as you do on all of your responses,if you have an intelligent constructive,non arguementative answer.But noting that you have 51k posts on here,that says to me you are a sad soul.If the mods ban me then I know which way they lean.

Ya I've got a lot of posts. I also have a lot of nose hairs.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On another thread, I would be happy to list some items that historians will consider among Obama's strengths and achievements. But that's too broad for this topic. Obviously, no mortal could live up to the hopes and expectations put upon him upon election. He will be judged historically in an objective way and it's just too early to tell exactly how.

Repition is very boring,please take the time to itemise your points.You are looking at the future of the present incumbent of the US presidency.You would have been a great asset to all political and war mongering leaders of the past with your fortesight.Reminds me of the Quantum Leap fictional programme.

So, lets get this straight. The democrats got him elected and the republicans helped out, so that they could set him up to fail, so that there would never be another black president? Have you been spending a lot of time on the Prison Planet website? wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png

Hillary Clinton will be the next US president.