Expats and boredom.

davo2212

Hi again all, after many trips to LOS i have come across this scenario alot. Firstly i have in the past few years done my best to avoid touristy areas of Thailand even when in Phuket i stay in Rawai/ Chalong/ Nai harn. I recently went up to Amnat Cheoron and Ubon and Mukdahan ( gday Don). PS mukdahan b&b is a great little spot to have a cold beer and watch the nrl. Back to my question, because of my plans to move here one day i ask alot of questions to the expats.

But i find alot of similar stories if actually spoken or body language, these guys are lonely when i approach a group of expats having a beer they seem happy enough to give some advice but recently i asked a few about visa's and employment and they argued between them selves for about 2 hours.I find it like a sort of power struggle between them as to who knows whats best.

So any of you expats out there found some good hobbies ie golf,gardening, reading, how do you fill your days procuctively or do you meet at the same bar and talk about the same things with the same small circle of friends each day?

Thank.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks charlie. Can I ask what part of Thailand

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problem, its on my profile, I am up in Phetchabun, 5 hrs North of Bangkok in Central Thailand.

• Like 1

I must admit,at this time of year i find it difficult to move away from the A/c comfort of my study,so yes it can get a bit boring ,i live up country in Petchabun province too like Charlie,though i live in the south of the Province Wichianburi is our nearest town ,there is a surprisingly large population of Falangs here and a lot go to the local market in town on a thursday,also one chap has a annual party on Christmas day, and another on new years,and often people have parties,so it,s pretty good,but it does get very hot here from march through to end of may/early june,i am talking over 38c most days,so it even becomes unpleasant to go to the bar on thursday,as it is not a/c,and to me it is just not fun sitting in that heat,the rest of the year is okay,wet,and cool season.

attachicon.gifSnapshot_20140520_1.JPGWhen you have a large lawn to take care of.....you dont have time to get bored. The grass is green again....after 3 afternoon storms a week ago.

Are you sure that isn't a city park somewhere?? If not, Good Job Weegee! That yard must be a lot of work! I hope you have you have a lot of dogs who can enjoy that too??

• Like 1

It's awfully easy to become an alcoholic here. A regular exercise program, reasonable bar visits, cheap trips on AirAsia.

I can't imagine having a better social life or having more great places around me to enjoy life. There is a waterfall in back of my house.

I occasionally get bored but then I grab my beautiful Thai wife's bum and...go take a nap.

• Like 1

Boredom can be found in any bar, lounge or booze club worldwide. There are many options that aren't centered around alcohol and the effects it has on certain resident groups.

There are plenty of fraternal groups and social organizations that are involved in many interesting activities that are not centered on a barstool.

One only has to seek productive and enjoyable alternatives to self-destructive pastimes.

Good luck my friend.

• Like 1

My question is ....what were the bored buys doing back in their countries that was more exciting than hanging out in Thailand? Perhaps they were Glider Pilots, Rock Climbers and Surfers? I bet most just had boring jobs and a boring home. Much more interesting here..... But I do find it hard to get friends who are not in the bar every single day. I had one guy move next door, and he lasted about it week before he literally ran back to the one street that had a few bars on it. He has not been off that street for a year now.

attachicon.gifSnapshot_20140520_1.JPGWhen you have a large lawn to take care of.....you dont have time to get bored. The grass is green again....after 3 afternoon storms a week ago.

Are you sure that isn't a city park somewhere?? If not, Good Job Weegee! That yard must be a lot of work! I hope you have you have a lot of dogs who can enjoy that too??

No it's not a park, it's the back yard. Yep have got 2 dogs that love me for it......and they surely don't let me get bored.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't listen to these guys who tell you they aren't bored.

Why else do you think we spend time on ThaiVisa?

biggrin.png I was going to say he has taken his first step into life in Thailand by starting this topic, bored before he knows it......................sad.png

tongue.png

• Like 2

Steer well clear of any groups of expats, in my experience they allplay the one-upmanship game. There is always one who knows it all and done it all. Most are piss-heads and pass there day drowning in there own glory.

Walk into any bar in the main tourist areas and you'll see them.

Thats precisely why I live in a small village where there arent any !

Thats precisely why I live in a small village where there arent any !

Worried about the competition whistling.gif

• Like 1