Using my Australian ATM card in Thailand

y2k

My bank's ATM card uses the eftpos and Plus card systems (as indicated by their logos on the back of the card); will I be able to use this to withdraw (local) cash in Thai ATMs?

If it has visa sign should work

Beware the that local ATMs typically charger 150 or 180 bahts about A$5-6 bucks per transaction fee plus of course a lousy rate plus your bank may take a bite.

ATMs generally 20k max (if your own bank allows) which is only about 650A$ per machine and sometimes per day.I asked mine to raise daily limit for emergencies,but Thai ATMis still 20k per go.

Ask your home bank and inform them preferably in writing your going overseas !

This prevents being blocked sudden big withdrawls in hgh risk places can block your card,

Good luck

You can withdraw over 20k cheaper inside a main Thai bank like SCB,TMB or Kasikorn where you save the fee and can check the rate it will be the TT rate for cash advances.Need your passport so plan if its with visa agents other embassies.

pm me if you have any more questions

LOCAL VISA CARD etc

I would not travel nor keep vaste sums even in hotel safes but in Bangkok its quite easy to open account and get a local card IMMEDIATELY over the counter,where staff are used to foreigners.

Some small branches savings banks unused to regs may say you need a Work Permit you do not nor an O non immigrant visa,but it is possible.

Not all branches do it issues to me usually a Thai masterccard debit only but saves risks and can be used to by Air Asia tickets etc.There is about 200-250 fee for a card but an account with a passbook is free at Kasikrn Big C Saphan Kwai for instance where staff speak English or C Mai airport Plaza

Good luck

Edited by RubbaJohnny

If it has visa sign should work

Beware the thao ATMs typically charger 150 or 180 bahts about 5-6 bucks per transaction fee plus of course a lousy rate plus your bank may take a bite.

ATMs generally 20k max(if your bank allows) which is only about 650A$ per machine and someties per day.

Ask your bank and inform them preferably in writing your going overseas !

This prevents being blocked sudden big withdrawls in hgh risk places can block your card,

Good luck

You can withdraw over 20k cheaper inside a bank like SCB,TMB or Kasikorn where yousave the fee and can check the rate it will be the TT rate for cash advances

pm me if yo have any more questions

I would not travel keep vaste sums even in hotel safes but in Bangko its quite easy to open account and get a local card IMMEDIATELY over the counter.

Not all branches do it ists usually a Thai masterccard debit only but saves risks and can be used to by Air Asia tickets etc

But I would only have a hotel address. I may bring a lot of cash with me then. I guess it's useful to know if I run out of cash.

Beware the that local ATMs typically charger 150 or 180 bahts about A$5-6 bucks per transaction fee plus of course a lousy rate plus your bank may take a bite.

Adding, if you decide to use your Aussie card at an ATM ... choose carfully when and where you do that.

My suggestion would be only take the cash out at a Bank with the ATM in the wall and only at a time that the Bank is open ... just incase something goes wrong and the machine decides it likes your card a little too much and decides to keep it!

Adding, if you decide to use your Aussie card at an ATM ... choose carfully when and where you do that.

My suggestion would be only take the cash out at a Bank with the ATM in the wall and only at a time that the Bank is open ... just incase something goes wrong and the machine decides it likes your card a little too much and decides to keep it!

Yep, I thought that would save me as well, until last week.

Have had cards swallowed before so I decided to stick to ATM's at the banks.

Last week had another one swallowed so thought it would just be a case of asking

the bank to open up the ATM.

The bank cannot do it, probably a security measure. I still had to ring customer service

and give mine and the card details.

They phoned me back and hour later and said I could go into the bank with my passport

2 days later after the ATM had been opened. This was Bangkok Bank BTW, but I assume

all banks would be the same.

It's the 4th time I've cards taken over the years so it's imperative to have a spare.

• Like 1