Referee steps in to halt fight: Thai editorial

webfact

The military should ensure that any changes it makes pave the way for sweeping reforms and "cleaner" politics - something agreed upon by both sides in the political divide.

How difficult was that ? whistling.gif

It seems there is a solution already clap2.gif

I must be really thick. I always thought martial law was imposed at the behest of governments and the military making their own moves was a coup. I'm very confused by this notacoup and halfcoup nonsense.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The RTA, while theoretically under the authority of the government, is led by the army chief who holds the loyalty of the soldiers. If the army decides to impose martial law without having a coup (and a smart move to do it that way), who is going to stop them? There was a reason the article mentioned that the army is the strongest of all the Thai military.

The Thai government could rant and rave and make demands that the army step down, but who will enforce it? There is nobody and no force capable, so pragmatically, the government and the police, do what they are told.

It's not a coup except in the intellectual sense. So far, Gen Chan-Ocha has acted wisely and fairly and at this point in time, not being familiar with his history, looks to me to be a chap that I would respect.

Edit; Thinking about it, if Thaksin was clever, he would get the government to rant and rave and force the army's hand to make it into a coup, if for nothing else than the moral high ground and in future to be able to say PTP was ousted by a coup. Next year it would be very easy to make it into a PR excercise and gloss over the less memorable facts such as YL's sacking etc.

But then, Thaksin IS clever.....so why hasn't he forced Prayuth's hand? It has to be something to do with the fact that PTP still control the purse strings.

My guess is once several covert plans have been executed, Prayuth's hand will be forced.

We'll see.

Edited by Seastallion

If they are the refs, they should be sacked. The yellow shirts needed to be disqualified months ago for dirty, cowardly fighting

Just because you keep on writing really stupid things doesn't necessarily make you an idiot! Anyway, there are much worse things to be!

The army would be very smart to avoid having a coup, they should persuade the two sides to hold an election probably in August and guarantee that it will be peaceful, then after the new government is formed step back and let the new government look after security. If they do this, not only will they have the respect of all Thais, but Prayuth would be in a good position to run for Prime minister sometime in the future.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge
  • Like 1

If they are the refs, they should be sacked. The yellow shirts needed to be disqualified months ago for dirty, cowardly fighting

Just because you keep on writing really stupid things doesn't necessarily make you an idiot! Anyway, there are much worse things to be!

You mean like a intollerant yellow shirt supporter having a mini hissy fit when they disagree with someone on the internet? :roll eyes:

I must be really thick. I always thought martial law was imposed at the behest of governments and the military making their own moves was a coup. I'm very confused by this notacoup and halfcoup nonsense.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not thick and just don't have the time to do research: Whether we agree or not, Thailand has its own laws...surprise, surprise. The military can legally invoke martial law without notifying the government. Half-coups do not exist- a politician or media group creating a new buzzword, does not make it a reality. So basically THIS IS NOT A COUP. Nothing to be confused about...

It looks like I'm another stupid one. I thought that s 188 of the Constitution and s2 of the Martial Law Act, 2014 meant that nationwide martial law could only be initiated by a Royal Proclamation. I am so obtuse that I cannot see how s 4 covers what happened this week. Because I can't keep up with the adults, I've gone back to reading children's books.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

• Like 1

For the first time, five members from each of the Pheu Thai party, the UDD, the Democratic party, and the PDRC are meeting together in the same room, along with representatives of the National Election Commission and the Senate. It is being officiated by Prayuth. Was Yingluck ever this successful, or even interested ? No. But Prayuth has been. This meeting is happening now. That is immensely positive. This crisis will not be solved by posturing. It will be solved by people sitting down and talking to each other. Prayuth has already shown his genuineness by getting this meeting arranged in the space of mere hours. What the various participants do with it is up to them, but with Prayuth overseeing it, they'll likely be better behaved than they have ever been inside or outside of parliament.

• Like 1

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not thick and just don't have the time to do research: Whether we agree or not, Thailand has its own laws...surprise, surprise. The military can legally invoke martial law without notifying the government. Half-coups do not exist- a politician or media group creating a new buzzword, does not make it a reality. So basically THIS IS NOT A COUP. Nothing to be confused about...

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're blind to satire. Is it still "notacoup" or have they stopped pretending?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27517591

so for our own safety we cannot watch forang films. pop out to buy some water. How can forang telly stations be a threat.

now we are all prisoners until they can sort there mess out grrrr!!!!

so for our own safety we cannot watch forang films. pop out to buy some water. How can forang telly stations be a threat.

now we are all prisoners until they can sort there mess out grrrr!!!!

If you came here expecting anything else from time to time you should have done a little bit more background work before deciding to reside here.

• Like 1