Mormons proselytizing in Thailand

turgid

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you oppose them maybe it's a good idea to waste their time and act interested, so they have less time to bother other people who might actually go for it?

I agree. Whether or not you engage depends on whether care about the perpetuation of irrationality in society. I do which is why I along with others seek to expose fraudsters and charlatans in the UK by way of psychic services and mediums who prey on the weak and vulnerable.

• Like 1

Mormons that one who make mass married !

Cannot talk with there parents 1 or 2 time every year!

Tell them you cannot join also internet not allowed in there policy!

And then you cannot join Thai visa!...

You seem to have them confused with some other sects.

The big mass weddings are the Moonies (Unification church).

Mormons (Latter Day Saints) are in no way restricted from talking with their parents, and have no restriction on internet either - in fact they have their own website.

Not sure which sects other than the Amish would forbid internet per se?

• Like 1

Some years ago, when walking near Soi 33 with my Thai friend , we were approached by the Mormons. I was not interested, but my friend talked to them in Thai and she was impressed with their Thai language skills. Obviously, they take their missionary mission seriously and learned the language in the USA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"This country has enough problems without these nutters wandering the streets spreading this nonsense"

Many feel the same way about the Atheist nutters, didn't the Atheist this year begin to open their own places to preach against god? Wouldn't that be considered a form of worship? In my day that would be known as Satan worshiping.

Remember if god is fake it cost them nothing to believe in him, but if god is real what will it cost you.

Next time Atheist or not try not being a nutter yourself and decline with some respect, or is respect also against Atheist satanic religion?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just politely say no thanks, and send them on their way. There is enough dickishness in the world without adding to it.

Pertaining to Thailand ... please define 'dickishness'.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

Well, i looked it up in my handy dandy TV dictionary and found a picture of David48 :)

Darn that TV dictionary. I must remember to never ask you this question, lest I be found out with equal ease.

T

Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 2

Some years ago, when walking near Soi 33 with my Thai friend , we were approached by the Mormons. I was not interested, but my friend talked to them in Thai and she was impressed with their Thai language skills. Obviously, they take their missionary mission seriously and learned the language in the USA.

Yes,but then they go back to their dingy rooms and spend all night furiously pulling themselfs off,never shake their hands,particularly early in the morning.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, they are allowed to do this.

Your handling of it on the second day was provocative. By asking questions -- any questions - and trying to bait you create the impression of interest.

Exactly the same dynamic as with a salesperson.

"Just say no",firmly, leave it at that, and move on.

Whether promoting a religion or selling a product, such people have no desire to waste their time on someone who is not receptive. Just make it clear you aren't and don't engage or prolong the encounter.

Sorry but you are wrong, very wrong. It is not allowed in Thailand, and I do so wish the police would arrest some of them.

"This country has enough problems without these nutters wandering the streets spreading this nonsense"

Many feel the same way about the Atheist nutters, didn't the Atheist this year begin to open their own places to preach against god? Wouldn't that be considered a form of worship? In my day that would be known as Satan worshiping.

Remember if god is fake it cost them nothing to believe in him, but if god is real what will it cost you.

Next time Atheist or not try not being a nutter yourself and decline with some respect, or is respect also against Atheist satanic religion?

How about a cold shower mate?

It's all a matter about who is bothering who, isn't it? No need to turn on the aggro blower like this.

Yes, they are allowed to do this.

Your handling of it on the second day was provocative. By asking questions -- any questions - and trying to bait you create the impression of interest.

Exactly the same dynamic as with a salesperson.

"Just say no",firmly, leave it at that, and move on.

Whether promoting a religion or selling a product, such people have no desire to waste their time on someone who is not receptive. Just make it clear you aren't and don't engage or prolong the encounter.

Bait??

hardly. they are the ones coming up to random people in the streets asking if they want to go to their church on Sunday....if someone wants to have a little bit of fun with them because of this, it is entirely their prerogative...the mormon proselytizer should be completely prepared for this..

Plus, the missionary types like that I have met and talked to DO have a desire to waste their time on non receptive people, I can't count how many times a Jehovah or Mormon has approached me and still proceeded to evangelize even after I made it abundantly clear I wasn't interested

• Like 2

like that guy on TV Ajarn Adam, great Thai language skills, but learned them in the USA before coming over here to evangelize...

Yes,but then they go back to their dingy rooms and spend all night furiously pulling themselfs off,never shake their hands,particularly early in the morning.

I can't stand their message and wish they'd leave the Thais alone but you've got to admit some of them are nice looking :)

I usually get the first word in and ask them where's there a coffee shoppe around here ? They start to twitch.

• Like 2

If you oppose them maybe it's a good idea to waste their time and act interested, so they have less time to bother other people who might actually go for it?

Unfortunately, wasting their time also wastes mine.

David

Mormons first regularly came to Thailand in the 1960's -- all their visas and other documents are in order. If giving some clever reply to these kids makes you feel good, go ahead. They are here in Thailand on a 2 year mission and are trained well before coming to Thailand or any other country to expect to be ridiculed.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Mormons first regularly came to Thailand in the 1960's -- all their visas and other documents are in order. If giving some clever reply to these kids makes you feel good, go ahead. They are here in Thailand on a 2 year mission and are trained well before coming to Thailand or any other country to expect to be ridiculed.

Easier to train them to expect to be ridiculed than to train them to think rationally.

David

• Like 1

Easier to train them to expect to be ridiculed than to train them to think rationally.

David

It's are religion into which they were born and are obligated to serve a 2-year mission. Give the kids a break.

• Like 1

You really don't need to give any sort of reason or excuse, just a firm "Sorry, not interested" and walk away will do the trick.

Many of them don't walk away after not interested. A few of them don't even walk away when you say it 3 times. It's not like I should have to leave my place and walk away because he never stop

Edited by larsjohnsson