Swede leaps to death from Phuket guesthouse

webfact

Swede leaps to death from Phuket guesthouse
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 50-year-old Swedish man leaped to his death at 2am today (May 21) from the third floor of the Absolute Guesthouse opposite Soi Na Nai 2 in Patong after a blazing row with his Thai wife.

Police who received an alert soon afterwards found the man lying dead in front of the building.

Questioning motorbike taxi drivers in the area and other witnesses, officers learned that the man had been seen and heard arguing with his wife before he jumped. He is believed to have died instantly on impact with the ground.

The body was sent to Patong hospital to await the instructions of the family. The man is not being named until relatives have been informed.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/swede-leaps-to-death-from-phuket-guesthouse-46372.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-21

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

God help him and sincere condolences.

The pity is that the Thai wife probably won't give a single toss about him, won't grieve for a moment and will just look at what she may get out of it.

and you know this how?

• Like 1

Ok, so witnesses heard and saw him arguing with wife, but NO ONE actually saw him jump. I'm sorry, but I simply don't accept as "true" all these stories about the foreign men "jumping" and "committing suicide" over an argument with Thai g/f (who is probably half their age, if not more). But "suicide" is easier to deal with, and less paperwork, than actually investigating the woman for murder. He was just a crazy old farang, and she was a fine, innocent, loving, caring Buddhist believing Thai girl.

BULL S##T

Nice to see someone speak their mind. Its pretty contemptible when idiots object to what sometime seems plainly obvious that all us farangs no matter how highly strung, we get don't all of a sudden take flight over balcony's in a sudden moment of rage. To be honest, it always seems t be in lets say' more sleazy areas that suffer this ongoing trait.

• Like 2

Jesus first comment and already a waft of conspiracy........

Where else in the world would a newspaper publish a story about a guy having a heated argument with his wife, then ending up dead, only to conclude he had jumped- with only the facts as presented?

I am well aware of the sensitivity to the family back home. I think they should have the truth, and not believe some convenient story that closes the books before a proper investigation is done.

I'd feel very different knowing that my loved one hadn't killed himself, and I'd think very differently about settling the estate of my loved one if I knew the circumstances surrounding his death were suspicious.

Maybe the story happened exactly as presented. I think the family deserves to know that there is more than one possible story here, especially if they come from a place where newspapers are credible.

It's just too bad, and too typical that all your sympathy goes to his 'family back home'. The judgement of a Thai woman is always so bitter on this sight. I would tend to believe a Thai side of things more than not, myself.

Ok, so witnesses heard and saw him arguing with wife, but NO ONE actually saw him jump. I'm sorry, but I simply don't accept as "true" all these stories about the foreign men "jumping" and "committing suicide" over an argument with Thai g/f (who is probably half their age, if not more). But "suicide" is easier to deal with, and less paperwork, than actually investigating the woman for murder. He was just a crazy old farang, and she was a fine, innocent, loving, caring Buddhist believing Thai girl.

BULL S##T

With a boyfriend maybe.

Jesus first comment and already a waft of conspiracy........

Where else in the world would a newspaper publish a story about a guy having a heated argument with his wife, then ending up dead, only to conclude he had jumped- with only the facts as presented?

I am well aware of the sensitivity to the family back home. I think they should have the truth, and not believe some convenient story that closes the books before a proper investigation is done.

I'd feel very different knowing that my loved one hadn't killed himself, and I'd think very differently about settling the estate of my loved one if I knew the circumstances surrounding his death were suspicious.

Maybe the story happened exactly as presented. I think the family deserves to know that there is more than one possible story here, especially if they come from a place where newspapers are credible.

It's just too bad, and too typical that all your sympathy goes to his 'family back home'. The judgement of a Thai woman is always so bitter on this sight. I would tend to believe a Thai side of things more than not, myself.

A) You're a "newbie" who hasn't been in LOS very long and have no idea of how things really are.

cool.png You've been here too long and have your own personal, reserved bar stool with your #1, "I love only you" bar girl guarding it for you.

Those of us who have been here a few years, and longer, and not spent that time clutching our bar stools know that believing a Thai is tantamount to surrendering your sensibilities and throwing away all sense of logic.

You are obviously living in a very different place in LOS than me. Perhaps you should get out of Pattaya or Phuket whistling.gif

• Like 1

How many Farangs are falling out of balcony pro year in Thailand ? Is there any statistics ?

A lot. Enough actually to drive the conspiracy chatter around these situations. If it was 1 or 2 a year then no-one would make those speculations I don't think.

Having said that, I do think a lot of them are legit suicides. Men in the West tend to shoot themselves, followed by hanging and then falling / jumping. Few do overdoses or cutting (more a female thing). It is difficult getting a firearm as a farang. Hanging is pretty tricky although there are quite a few of those in Phuket every year too. So the main way in Phuket it seems would be jumping.

@ WINDY - You are obviously living in a very different place in LOS than me. Perhaps you should get out of Pattaya or Phuket whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.JK8Lccs1AO.gi

I really hate to burst your delusional bubble, but the last time I was in Pattaya was over 30 years ago, and I've never been to Phuket, and have no intentions of ever going there. I live in the real Thailand, with the real Thai, and it's a hell of long way north from your obvious stomping grounds, hand in hand with your "I love you long time" girlfriend of the month. Had a STD test lately?

• Like 2

She was there. She knows exactly what happened. And if she didn’t actually see it, she knows how Thai newspapers and Thai police reports work.

The folks “back home” come from a paradigm where you can trust newspaper reports of local deaths and trust police reports to be factual, and unnatural deaths to be thoroughly investigated before they close the books on them.

They’re in a traumatic time in their lives, dealing with a completely unfamiliar system. They need to understand the system they’re dealing with.

Remember- after the intangible trauma of the death of a loved one, there are very important practical and financial implications of how the death occurred. There could be insurance that pays out differently –or not at all- for a suicide, and other survivor benefits that are affected. There could be implications for burial arrangements on consecrated ground. There could be lawsuits if it was accidental due to inadequate building safety. (Yes, I know, TIT) There could also be a very different division of the estate if there is suspicion of foul play on the part of one of the heirs.

And all of that is going to depend on what’s in the police report. That’s why it’s important to get the facts, and not depend on a police report that was closed before it’s even investigated.

• Like 1

Look I'm sorry for this and his family but this quick judgement by Thai police is wrong was there a note? or did you just take word of bargirl? and we all know bargirls never lie like thai police are up standing people you can trust to protect your rights.

This is obviously an open and shut case - firstly, upstanding witness (taxi driver) and I can attest to the fact that it was not jumping that killed him, but rather the sudden stop at the bottom. Only problem when they do this stuff, you cannot change your mind!!!

God help him and sincere condolences.

The pity is that the Thai wife probably won't give a single toss about him, won't grieve for a moment and will just look at what she may get out of it.

and you know this how?

Now, harley did constrain his speculation with a well-placed "probably."