Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

Above should read

Rak CM 51 not 52.

Typo

The rest is correct. Take a look thier web site. I think it is same story the last poster mentioned.

More bombs off the hands of terrorists.

Good work army.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I know is the curfew is at 10:00 at night until 5:00 in the morning. got nothing to do with the rest of the day. If you need transportation to the airport after hours the army has said they will take you. I trust that in emergencies the4y will allow you to go to a hospital.

I am not looking for ways to contravene the curfew. I am aware that there are soldiers on the street to further protect me from crazy red shirts carrying bombs. How many they have stopped I do not know. Also I know that because the flow of cash through the corruption system has been cut off their will be protestors. The army will serve to keep them in control in my opinion.

Is there a number to call?

All I know is the curfew is at 10:00 at night until 5:00 in the morning. got nothing to do with the rest of the day. If you need transportation to the airport after hours the army has said they will take you. I trust that in emergencies the4y will allow you to go to a hospital.

I am not looking for ways to contravene the curfew. I am aware that there are soldiers on the street to further protect me from crazy red shirts carrying bombs. How many they have stopped I do not know. Also I know that because the flow of cash through the corruption system has been cut off their will be protestors. The army will serve to keep them in control in my opinion.

Is there a number to call?

I travelled up to the north on an overnight bus a couple of nights ago and it was just like any other trip, same food vendors at the same places at the same bus stations at the same times in the middle of the night as usual. Lots of HGV traffic on the road as per usual.

I was naturally a bit apprehensive to begin with, but a Thai friend had called the "army call centre" number which had been given out on Thai language TV a day or two earlier, and had relayed to me the info that bus travel was unaffected. So, yes, there is a number, it was given out on Thai TV. I don't have that number at hand, but I could get hold of it later if it would be helpful, but you will need to be able to understand Thai to use it of course.

I'll refrain from making a cheap point or two about the pros and cons of democracy as it really doesn't seem to be an appropriate time to indulge in the usual TV banter. Cheers.

Edited by ajarnsiam
  • Like 1

Not sure whether I can post a link, but this seems appropriate and informative regarding ignoring the curfew...."Now that there has been a second warning, the army ensures that any more accounts of people defying the curfew will be met with zero tolerance whether they are foreign or Thai."

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=3916

Edited by kjhbigv

Not sure whether I can post a link, but this seems appropriate and informative regarding ignoring the curfew...."Now that there has been a second warning, the army ensures that any more accounts of people defying the curfew will be met with zero tolerance whether they are foreign or Thai."

yeah, sounds like no more mister nice army from now on. bar owners i know are paying very strict attention to this announcement and advising customers to do so as well.

Went to Big C Mae Hia today and not one red shirt was carrying a bomb so it's obviously working!

• Like 1

Perhaps it would need some people foreign or Thai to be arrested and convicted to make the populace realize these guys are serious.

Thankyou "marzipan" for your "Feeling" I am here on holidays here with my two young teenage children. I am on the Forum, looking for information based on facts not knee jerk reactions or gut hunches. My children have been freaked by the site of the Army, as you can well imagine, for them, it is not an everyday occurrence. Have been since the weekend trying to encourage them to leave the hotel, so we can have dinner somewhere else, perhaps even try to relax & have some fun before 10pm curfew. So as a concerned mother, I am looking for information, that I can relay back to my children, to reassure them, that the Night Bazaar will be an alright place to go to??? Thanks.

I think it was already mentioned but your kids could have a coup of their own for when they return home. Get your pictures taken with the young army guys, I am sure they would be all for it if approached in the right way.

• Like 1

Some bars is still open after 10pm but they close the metal door (forgot what is called) and the army&police dont seem to bother. I played some pool with my friends and walked back home around 12ish.

By the way: Anyone heard of someone getting fined by the army?

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not saying that doesn't happen but I went by the Boxing Ring on Loi Kroh on my way home, 1100 pm ish and it appeared that the bars really were closed up. But they have experience fooling the cops (closing hours reference...) :)

I saw some of the food vendors near Phra Sing gate open, but looked very quiet, hardly any one out

Some bars is still open after 10pm but they close the metal door (forgot what is called) and the army&police dont seem to bother. I played some pool with my friends and walked back home around 12ish.

By the way: Anyone heard of someone getting fined by the army?

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not saying that doesn't happen but I went by the Boxing Ring on Loi Kroh on my way home, 1100 pm ish and it appeared that the bars really were closed up. But they have experience fooling the cops (closing hours reference...) smile.png

I wouldn't expect, after years of this going on from time to time, that anyone is being fooled. Perhaps the police don't bother establishments that close up the doors and make an attempt to appear closed to the public.?.?. smile.png

Edited by ThaiWx

Perhaps it would need some people foreign or Thai to be arrested and convicted to make the populace realize these guys are serious.

How do you get a local to take things seriously??!!My partner has a law degree, owns and operates a bar and has come home at 2-3 am every night. I have pointed out the consequences and all I get is a blank look and a shrug. It seems that there is no way to bring a sense of adult responsibility into life. Except maybe being arrested, fined and losing a business that had taken years of hard work to establish. It beggars belief, but it is true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

About 15 minutes ago ChiangMai City News reported that there was a radio announcement (no station given) that the curfew hours as of the 28th will be changed from 00:01 - 4:00, but the report is not quite clear so it is not clear that the change is for tonight's activities until midnight, or tomorrow's. Stay tuned.

Edited by Mapguy

Not sure whether I can post a link, but this seems appropriate and informative regarding ignoring the curfew...."Now that there has been a second warning, the army ensures that any more accounts of people defying the curfew will be met with zero tolerance whether they are foreign or Thai."[/size]

apparently you can post it

I read the article and will post the first paragraph.

"CityNews The Chiang Mai Army Division 33 have re-issued warnings to Bars, Night Clubs, Hotels, and other entertainment venues demanding that they adhere to the curfew laws that are still in place. This has come after several establishments have remained open even after receiving stern warnings from the army."

The article was basically against business that defied the curfew. But it did go on to say it would be enforced on any one who defies the curfew. It did say it was OK to go to airports and hospitals.

The other night I was buying a rotte in the night market shortly before ten and noticed many of the venders closing up but some not.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

About 15 minutes ago ChiangMai City News reported that there was a radio announcement (no station given) that the curfew hours as of the 28th will be changed from 00:01 - 4:00, but the report is not quite clear so it is not clear that the change is for tonight's activities until midnight, or tomorrow's. Stay tuned.

Today's the 27th so that will mean the new curfew comes into place tomorrow.

A friend who has a bar on Loi Khroa Rd just informed me that the police came thru and told everybody to shut down. So it sounds like the new curfew becomes effective tomorrow. Maybe...

Yup, the Army made their first appearance in the Night Bazaar tonight, deciding to shut down the place around 10pm for the first time.

Either way with this rain, we can all have an early night and look forward to the new curfew times tomorrow.

Edited by scd

How do you get a local to take things seriously??!!My partner has a law degree, owns and operates a bar and has come home at 2-3 am every night. I have pointed out the consequences and all I get is a blank look and a shrug. It seems that there is no way to bring a sense of adult responsibility into life. Except maybe being arrested, fined and losing a business that had taken years of hard work to establish. It beggars belief, but it is true.

I wonder if it is possible that your partner knows better than you ( and me) just what is possible here in Chiang Mai. Maybe happily making money from the bar despite curfew, knowing that it is a very low risk game??

There has been very little business, like one or two customers per night. But once the bar is closed it is off to another establishment to eat and play pool before driving home at 3am. As a business person who is responsible for the legal welfare of staff let alone his own welfare he is risking losing his business, having two others arrested as well, incurring a 40K personal fine or two years in jail not to mention his staff and their situation. All to run around and thumb their noses at the Army! Sounds irresponsible to me to take the risk.

I have no interest in the business and will not pay for any fines incurred.

aww crap, the curfew is back to midnight. sad.png

I'm going to have to start working out again,

the only thing keeping my beer gut was in check

was i had to stop drinking by 9PM. blink.png

Back to reality

Just a reminder that this is an easing of curfew by a few hours

Everything else remains the same.

Stay sharp out there, and be safe wai.gif

• Like 1

LATEST NEWS RE CHIANG MAI......According to CM Citynews this morning, (connected to City Life Magazine) and well respected, the curfew has NOT been lifted and remains 10pm til 5am. The article (you can find it online) says that fake documents have been made from papers relating to the 2006 coup suggesting that the curfew has changed to midnight until 4am., but that this is NOT the case.

The article goes on to say that dire final warnings have been issued to bars and clubs to adhere to the curfew or else big trouble!

Only reporting what I just read 5 minutes ago. Its all over Facebook as well. Please dont shoot the messenger on this one!!

LATEST NEWS RE CHIANG MAI......According to CM Citynews this morning, (connected to City Life Magazine) and well respected, the curfew has NOT been lifted and remains 10pm til 5am. The article (you can find it online) says that fake documents have been made from papers relating to the 2006 coup suggesting that the curfew has changed to midnight until 4am., but that this is NOT the case.

The article goes on to say that dire final warnings have been issued to bars and clubs to adhere to the curfew or else big trouble!

Only reporting what I just read 5 minutes ago. Its all over Facebook as well. Please dont shoot the messenger on this one!!

This is the same news source that described the recent crackdown on visa exempt permissions to stay (IE no visa stays) as a visa crackdown which led to stress and panic for many people with visas who read their article.

As for Facebook, there has been an amazing amount of rubbish written there including a report shared by many of a shoot out at Chang Puak Gate Saturday evening between 'red' police and the army.

Just shot you on this one, wai.gif

Edited by Loaded