International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

Edited to add in reply to post 173, Heybruce. With all the posts being deleted the thread link become confusing.

Whether written by an ex-pat or someone who has followed the thai political scene passionately and posted on this site or written by a paid journalist and printed into a publication does not make either fact. They are both opinion's,

As to the opinion you quote from the Economist, I (this is my opinion just like the item you quote is one other person's opinion) could have put forward in 2006 (and was already commenting on Thaksin's lawlessness), on the evidence of lawless events for the past five years, that democracy had also failed and the ongoing process of elections under Thaksin's lawless though elected non democratic regime is not going to clean up thai politics but will lead to more instability and turmoil. Also sitting here today, well up until last week, that opposing view would have been absolutely 100% correct. There have been elections since which another Thaksin clone has won and had the chance to do right but again failed dismally not only to the election correcting process of incompetence but also to the judiciary correcting process of corruption and more importantly lawlessness. So seven years and eight months later the information available in 2006 was correct that democratic process in Thailand had failed due to one criminal.

And anyone with half a functioning brain could have made that prediction in 2006 with the evidence of lawlessness that was already eroding law in Thailand with the very first instance of that where the judges were threatened by Thaksin's thugs and goons in 2001 to ensure a result in Thaksin's favor over his criminal activity of hiding his ill gotten gains in his staff's name. By 2006 the break down of democratic principles by Thaksin was well under way.

It is always amusing to read where writers that you and your groupees like Publicis or whatever their name is always focus on corruption like has again happened in the context of this threads knowing that it occurs in all thai sectors so it can be countered with your one sided debates. What has not been debatable is Thaksin's clones never ending incompetence, but more importantly their lawlessness.

I was going to add that even a halfwit and '....or whatever it was' could see that, the same as your groupee Publicis or whatever his name is added in a post or two above this but I see that has been removed by the mods. Thankfully there are more good things about a coup than all the good things to date like getting the poor farmers paid, removing lawless elected failed regimes, cleaning out the violent and lawless groups on all sides etc. etc.

Edited by Roadman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edited to add in reply to post 173, Heybruce. With all the posts being deleted the thread link become confusing.

Whether written by an ex-pat or someone who has followed the thai political scene passionately and posted on this site or written by a paid journalist and printed into a publication does not make either fact. They are both opinion's,

As to the opinion you quote from the Economist, I (this is my opinion just like the item you quote is one other person's opinion) could have put forward in 2006 (and was already commenting on Thaksin's lawlessness), on the evidence of lawless events for the past five years, that democracy had also failed and the ongoing process of elections under Thaksin's lawless though elected non democratic regime is not going to clean up thai politics but will lead to more instability and turmoil. Also sitting here today, well up until last week, that opposing view would have been absolutely 100% correct. There have been elections since which another Thaksin clone has won and had the chance to do right but again failed dismally not only to the election correcting process of incompetence but also to the judiciary correcting process of corruption and more importantly lawlessness. So seven years and eight months later the information available in 2006 was correct that democratic process in Thailand had failed due to one criminal.

And anyone with half a functioning brain could have made that prediction in 2006 with the evidence of lawlessness that was already eroding law in Thailand with the very first instance of that where the judges were threatened by Thaksin's thugs and goons in 2001 to ensure a result in Thaksin's favor over his criminal activity of hiding his ill gotten gains in his staff's name. By 2006 the break down of democratic principles by Thaksin was well under way.

It is always amusing to read where writers that you and your groupees like Publicis or whatever their name is always focus on corruption like has again happened in the context of this threads knowing that it occurs in all thai sectors so it can be countered with your one sided debates. What has not been debatable is Thaksin's clones never ending incompetence, corruption but more importantly their lawlessness.

I was going to add that even a halfwit and '....or whatever it was' could see that, the same as your groupee Publicis or whatever his name is added in a post or two above this but I see that has been removed by the mods. Thankfully there are more good things about a coup than all the good things to date like getting the poor farmers paid, removing lawless elected failed regimes, cleaning out the violent and lawless groups on all sides etc. etc.

Your writing style is, um....challenging. Clearly you feel that since Thaksin and Thaksin supported parties have not eliminated corruption from Thai politics they should not be allowed to govern. You completely ignored the final sentence from the short Economist paragraph I posted that read:

"Corruption flourished under a succession of military-favoured prime ministers and was bad, too, under the opposition Democrats in the late 1990s."

In other words, endemic corruption did not originate with Thaksin.

Other than that I'm not sure what you're point is. Are you saying democracy can't work in Thailand? Do you think Thailand should remain under military rule indefinitely? Do you think the military will do a better job of reducing corruption than the elected government's since 2001? If so, can you cite historical evidence to support this view?

Young democracies always make mistakes. As I've stated before they need to overcome a steep learning curve. However young democracies do not become stable, mature democracies unless elected governments are routinely allowed to finish their elected terms and the voters are allowed to choose to keep the existing government or elect a new one. I think Thailand is capable of becoming a mature democracy, but not through the familiar cycle of election-coup-election-coup.

What is your long term proposal for Thailand?

• Like 1

It used to be fairly pointless having Thai political discussions under the old rules - under the new one's there's very little point . I spend most of my time on Facebook and Google News - it's a shame because this used to be the go to place to get a finger on the pulse. I think the Generals are going to get a sharp lesson that this is 2014 not the 1950s.

How boring would the news be back home if they said there's been a military coup in Thailand but you wouldn't know it was happening? The streets are peaceful, there's no crazy protesters marching on the streets and after midnight most touris areas are like a morgue and everyone is sleeping quietly in their beds..........

That doesn't sell newspapers or keep the viewing figures up..........better they show some footage of Tanks guns soldiers and make a big issues about some minor happening......then add to that.........The embassy warns don't go there.

Now that's news................

Of course Embassies are going to warn people........They have no choice... but just because they do doesn't mean the place to be dangerous......They don't put up a warning and a tourist did die then they'd be for the high jump.

"Corruption flourished under a succession of military-favoured prime ministers and was bad, too, under the opposition Democrats in the late 1990s."

In other words, endemic corruption did not originate with Thaksin.

Of course it didnt but you are wasting your breath trying to explain that to the Jonny comes lately types on here whos knowledge of Thai politics was picked up on a Pattaya bar stool.

The last time the Democrats were in power with a democratic vote it was corruption that brought them down, and guess what Democrat politican it was? None other than Khun Suthep Thaugsuban giving land to his wealthy buddies that was meant for the poor. In the following 20 years corruption scandals have never been far from his side, whether its government assistance to a media compnay he has invested in or manipulating the price of palm oil in a government post to make himself a multi millionaire.

So pardon us who find the idea this whole debacle was about corruption ridiculous. It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption.

"It was about changing the beneficiary of the corruption."

That, and other issues which some think will are bringing changes to the socio-political fabric of the country, changes which they want to stop.

Add to that economic change. Before 2001 90% of government investment was in Bangkok, the south was doing well from tourism, and the north and northeast had third world economies, making them a convenient source of cheap, complacent labor for Bangkok and the south.

Since 2001 investment in Bangkok has slowly decreased, it was down to 72% of government investment in 2012 (my source is the World Bank, but I'm leery of posting a link), which resulted in a significant increase in government investment outside of Bangkok. Better roads, schools, clinics, etc., resulted in the peasants getting uppity; workers demanding living wages, hookers getting more expensive, stuff like that. A lot of people don't like this kind of change.

Strong statement today from APHR - they are hinting at 'repercussions' within ASEAN region.

http://www.aseanmp.org/?p=3068

On the other hand

"2014-05-28

Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Tuesday his government will work with the Thai junta that came to power in a coup last week, and quashed speculation that the ousted Shinawatra clan may be allowed to set up a government in exile in Cambodia."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hun-sen-ends-exile-govt-talk/

well, if the international concern is that the NCPO hasn't found the time yet to set up it's own website than the situation must indeed be very serious.

Mind you if the NCPO was using a website, the international complainers community would surely be offended by it's contents whatever that would be.

In the mean time ... ... ...

From Thailand Live Wednesday #60

RT@W7VOA: #ThaiCoup: Army says 200 of 253 people summoned appeared. 124 have been released. 53 at large.

Edited by rubl

well, if the international concern is that the NCPO hasn't found the time yet to set up it's own website than the situation must indeed be very serious.

Mind you if the NCPO was using a website, the international complainers community would surely be offended by it's contents whatever that would be.

RT@W7VOA: #ThaiCoup: Army says 200 of 253 people summoned appeared. 124 have been released. 53 at large.

The 53 at large represent some of the most violent red shirts like Arisaman and Chulalongkorn Hospital storming leader Payap.

The 53 at large represent some of the most violent red shirts like Arisaman and Chulalongkorn Hospital storming leader Payap.

You know that for a fact do you? Care to name the other 51 red shirts and tell us why you think they are the "most violent". On second thoughts, don't bother, I'll just ignore your posts if this is going to be as good as it gets...............................coffee1.gif

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

You know that for a fact do you? Care to name the other 51 red shirts and tell us why you think they are the "most violent". On second thoughts, don't bother, I'll just ignore your posts if this is going to be as good as it gets...............................coffee1.gif

Arisman, storming the ASEAN venue in 2009, talking about burning things in 2010, fleeing to Cambodia, saying he wouldn't feel safe with the previous government, set conditions to come back.

It would seem both Ms. Thida and Dr. weng are also still detained with tomorrow their seventh day.

Anyway the international community is very concerned some have it. Personally I don't mind doing without shoutcasts from UDD leaders.

Is 'regulating' the internet the 21st century equivalent of 'burning books'?

If all countries were into 'burning books' then the answer is probably 'yes'.

Try reading the news, flabby. You might learn something.

The BP posted a list of 6 of the still AWOL, including the scummy terrorists Arisaman and Payap.

Now, shaddap.

Arisman, storming the ASEAN venue in 2009, talking about burning things in 2010, fleeing to Cambodia, saying he wouldn't feel safe with the previous government, set conditions to come back.

It would seem both Ms. Thida and Dr. weng are also still detained with tomorrow their seventh day.

Anyway the international community is very concerned some have it. Personally I don't mind doing without shoutcasts from UDD leaders.

Yes the international community are very concerned. The Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association have issued statements calling for the release of journalists detained by the army and to practice freedom of the press

That should tell even you something.

• Like 1

The coups which I have seen in Thailand are based on the excuse of corruption & certainly it is a valid excuse. Many say it is about shifting the proceeds of corruption from one group to the other. I am sure some of you have thought of the idea that it is not about corruption at all.

Edited by Valentine

The BP posted a list of 6 of the still AWOL, including the scummy terrorists Arisaman and Payap.

Now, shaddap.

Will I learn the names of all 51 red shirts that you say are the most violent and why? I don't think so. And you're not going to tell me as it is only your half baked opinion with no facts to back it up, so bit of a pointless post really.

By the way the names Fab4, use it. I will not "shaddap" as you have it. I know you're new here but you have read the forum rules haven't you?

• Like 1

Yes the international community are very concerned. The Myanmmar Journalists Network and the Myanmmar Journalists Association have issued statements calling for the release of journalists detained by the army and to practice freedom of the press

Found in Thailand Live Wednesday:

"Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Tuesday his government will work with the Thai junta that came to power in a coup last week, and quashed speculation that the ousted Shinawatra clan may be allowed to set up a government in exile in Cambodia."

Not sure what that should tell you

"Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Tuesday his government will work with the Thai junta that came to power in a coup last week, and quashed speculation that the ousted Shinawatra clan may be allowed to set up a government in exile in Cambodia."

Nothing at all - you really don't get it do you. Facebook has been blocked now as well.

Strong statement today from APHR - they are hinting at 'repercussions' within ASEAN region.

http://www.aseanmp.org/?p=3068

On the other hand

"2014-05-28

Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Tuesday his government will work with the Thai junta that came to power in a coup last week, and quashed speculation that the ousted Shinawatra clan may be allowed to set up a government in exile in Cambodia."

So to be in the lowest ranks of Asean countries alongside Burma and Cambodia in terms of human and civil rights is Ok? Sad that Thailand, one of the wealthiest of Asean countries, should embrace a primitive form of governance, i.e. 'the barrel of a gun'. (It's just amazing that people here who originate from democratic countries defend military dictatorship.)

Defend a Military Dictatorship? Where?

Here we had a coup after seven months of unrest and bickering and frequent cowardly attacks in the night on anti-government protesters.

• Like 2

Nothing at all - you really don't get it do you. Facebook has been blocked now as well.

So that's why you keep annoying us here on TV?

Mind you I'll miss Ms. Yingluck's frequent facebook postings, and those of young Oaf. At times I like to divert from the harder SF to Fantasyrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Mind you I'll miss Ms. Yingluck's frequent facebook postings, and those of young Oaf. At times I like to divert from the harder SF to Fantasyrolleyes.gif

It's Oak, but you get me every time with your oh so funny play on letters Oak - Oaf cheesy.gif

You speaking for all TV, when you say I'm annoying you? Get used to it, all the time you post rubbish, I'm going to pick you up on it.

Obviously the junta are getting twitchy about what the sites are used for. Next stop Twitter? - that will get the journalists attention, as if they weren't paying attention.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

It's Oak, but you get me every time with your oh so funny play on letters Oak - Oaf cheesy.gif

You speaking for all TV, when you say I'm annoying you? Get used to it, all the time you post rubbish, I'm going to pick you up on it.

Obviously the junta are getting twitchy about what the sites are used for. Next stop Twitter? - that will get the journalists attention, as if they weren't paying attention.

I doubt it as FB is open.

Now, shaddap.

Will I learn the names of all 51 red shirts that you say are the most violent and why? I don't think so. And you're not going to tell me as it is only your half baked opinion with no facts to back it up, so bit of a pointless post really.

By the way the names Fab4, use it. I will not "shaddap" as you have it. I know you're new here but you have read the forum rules haven't you?

You're a rather tiresome one, aren't you?

The 6 names given by Bangkok Post are all some of the most violent, eg. Arisaman, Payap, Shinwat, of the Red Shirts.

Ergo, the statement posted:

"The 53 at large represent some of the most violent red shirts"

that started your hissy fit is both accurate and factual.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

• Like 1