Junta wants sweeping reforms before election

Lite Beer

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The country wasn't fixed after the last coup why do people think it will be different this time?

The coup does nothing but solidify the grip that the army has on the country.

Well said.

While he is at reforming how about reforming the kangaroo courts that are filled with yellows and hand down bias verdicts time after time!

And reinstate yingluck as PM!

And now from the real world................................. Wake up amd smell the coffee, man!

• Like 1

Clever but obvious move to pay the farmers first. The coup ousted government were blocked at every turn when trying to pay them.

The military have no such restriction.

Suthep,sadly, has won hands down as the military are now implementing everything no sane person wanted to see. Unelected government and officials. Where is Suthep by the way?

I think these guys are in it for a long ride, don't think you will see the illiterate great unwashed having an opportunity to express their democratic rights for some time to come.

Thailand is in a very sorry state.

With 78% approval. But The experts; you, plus fab4, the parrot & a few others, know better. Oh well never mind. The rest of us will get on with the real world.

election..... isn't that a dirty word to the Royal-Elitist ?..... how could the common Thai-people know what is good for them AND the county!

You are right. The common Thai-people do not even know how to vote. That is why they always had to have the village head man (under payment from Dubai) making sure they voted correctly and simultaneously ensured the continued good health of the family buffalo. That changed 2 days ago!!!

If you want to see who is considered to be the most corrupt of the Govt departments have a look at the following :

attachicon.gifcorruption index.jpg

This is compiled by the National Anti Corruption Commission and is 2012 vintage. Things may have changed for the Navy now with the Rohinga thing.

Look who is bottom on the list, that is the most corrupt.

That's right, the outfit that's supposed to be fighting corruption in the public service.

I am amazed that Health and Rural roads are considered so clean. I have to deal with both departments in the course of my work and my experience does not lead me to the same conclusion.

The department that I deal with mainly is the Education department and I had better not say more on this forum about what I witness and what my company pays.

I would imagine you would have to consider all these things a relative.

The base line of corruption which the measurements are taken against is probably be quite low.

Meaning that even the least corrupt on that scale would be considered very corrupt in, for instance, my country which is thought to be one of the least corrupt in the world

While he is at reforming how about reforming the kangaroo courts that are filled with yellows and hand down bias verdicts time after time!

And now from the real world................................. Wake up amd smell the coffee, man!

I smell army coffee and I don't like it any more in the here and now than I did back some time ago.

I don't think the courts are as biased as suggested. Many judgements have gone against the Dems and the PDRC. The one that don't are usually claimed to be just to make it look like they're not biased. Just because a judge has views about one side or the other doesn't mean they will be biased they have to make decision based on the law and sometimes they disagree with the law. This happens in other countries as well. Lots of people have to do things which don't match with their views. I suspect many in the military didn't want a coup. Even if there is bias that's not the only problem. At the moment any decision that doesn't go PTP's way is considered biased so isn't respected so the courts need to change so that people believe they are doing a good job. Let's hope that is done now.

• Like 1

... at least a start into the right direction. Reforms will be massive ...

How do you know they are heading into the right direction??

Any reforms 180 degrees away from PTP's ACTUAL POLICIES will be a good start.

Where is any reform????

Ahh, almost forgot. The curfew. What a reform.

Maybe trolling a bit?

by my sponsoring thought which is guided by unconditional love and not fear as so many others display now.

The sponsoring thought is the main thought thus creating the circumstances for ourselves. In other words the sub-sub concience, which is the most powerful and creating faculty in our life and universe.

It's obvious that reforms are needed.

I recommend to go into stillness to find out which part your(everyone's) sponsoring thoughts are based on.

Western style democracies are running on fear based sponsoring thoughts, thus creating conditions through fear mongering. Thaksin is a groomed copy of that style. This is the number one destructive force. You find far more individuals in the East who are based with (unconditional)love sponsored thoughts.

These are the main reasons to be confident in reforms that benefits all.

Well done to the Army for identifying the rice farmers needs as first priority and that the country sucks up the cost of the Shinawtra's incompetence to put this right.

And as for the Americans and Germans your ignorance knows no bounds. Quick to condemn on the garbage that is presented to you by the criminals that have been ransacking Thailand and its democracy for the last 13 years and then complete ignorance with a closed mind mentality shown when invited to hear the other side of the debate.

Yes, because the entire US and German foreign ministries are filled with people who have no clue what's going one here - unlike you!crazy.gif

And the US record on successful foriegn policy has been how good over the last 100 years? Germany rushing over with it's "me too" hand up. German foreign policy is now very prone to sickeningly political correctness. Both their diplomatic corps have been actively courted by Thaksin over the last 20 years.

• Like 1

From the OP:

The military believes underground movements would soon surface to oppose the coup.

The military dictators and the ammart are deeper into it than they had ever been for a hundred years yet they're still digging.

Good on US Ambassador Kristie Kenney and German Ambassador Rolf Schulze among others for not attending the meeting because, as they said, they want nothing to do with the Thai military as dictators ruling over Thailand. That's an excellent posture by Prez Obama and Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Waiting also for the sanctions coming that were referenced in the OP, by the United States and the European Union. I see the State Department has now issued a travel warning against travel to Thailand, which throws the marker down to begin the international processes to isolate the military dictatorship. Military mutiny coup d'état is already passe' in civilized society but this one is beyond the pale.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. has only just begun to begin for the militarists, the military dictators, the ammart. There's a severe shitstorm headed their way.

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Situation in Thailand

Thailand Travel Alert

Last Updated: May 23, 2014

The U.S. Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand, particularly Bangkok, due to ongoing political and social unrest and restrictions on internal movements, including an indefinite nighttime curfew throughout Thailand. The Department of State has advised official U.S. government travelers to defer all non-essential travel to Thailand until further notice. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on May 16, 2014.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

How many elected Governments has the CIA managed to overthrow in the past,

So not attending by the American ambassador is a bit hypocritical in my view,

Regards Worgeordie

You think this is over with?!?

Look out your window tonight while you're at home due to the indefinite curfew and you'll see a bad moon rising.

I see the bad moon arisin'

I see trouble on the way

I see earthquakes and lightnin'

I see bad times today

http://www.songlyrics.com/creedence-clearwater-revival/bad-moon-rising-lyrics/

Smell the coffee.

• Like 1

by my sponsoring thought which is guided by unconditional love and not fear as so many others display now.

The sponsoring thought is the main thought thus creating the circumstances for ourselves. In other words the sub-sub concience, which is the most powerful and creating faculty in our life and universe.

It's obvious that reforms are needed.

I recommend to go into stillness to find out which part your(everyone's) sponsoring thoughts are based on.

Western style democracies are running on fear based sponsoring thoughts, thus creating conditions through fear mongering. Thaksin is a groomed copy of that style. This is the number one destructive force. You find far more individuals in the East who are based with (unconditional)love sponsored thoughts.

These are the main reasons to be confident in reforms that benefits all.

Still didn't answer my questions. You are making assumptions based on nothing and praising something which we don't know what it is.

I wish you lived in a world of military juntas.

How about moving to North Korea? Its leader's sponsoring thoughts have created that magnificent garden of eden.

• Like 1

Well done to the Army for identifying the rice farmers needs as first priority and that the country sucks up the cost of the Shinawtra's incompetence to put this right.

And as for the Americans and Germans your ignorance knows no bounds. Quick to condemn on the garbage that is presented to you by the criminals that have been ransacking Thailand and its democracy for the last 13 years and then complete ignorance with a closed mind mentality shown when invited to hear the other side of the debate.

Yes, because the entire US and German foreign ministries are filled with people who have no clue what's going one here - unlike you!crazy.gif

The foreign ministries are NOT filled with people who have no clue what's going on here (I presume you are talking about the sections that handle Thailand affairs). However, they have their own foreign policy agendas, and their public statements will reflect that. What they say and do secretly and in private is different. The Snowden stuff shows that clearly.

"The military might not be familiar with economic matters but the junta will appoint prominent economists "

PT had same problems with economic matters, if only they had done as the military are we might not be in this current situation. Appoint economists, who'd have thought of that eh?

Why invent when you can plagiarize. I suggest to speed up the process take a quick trip to Delhi and just copy India. They seem to have been able to consistently (brief interruption with Mrs Gandhi) sustain a working democracy with a majority rural poor electorate of over 1B since independence, and curiously it seems to satisfy both poor and rich over all. Substitute the Indian President with His Majesty, and we're good to go.

Too simple an idea for Thailand methinks

Get over it, it's gone, past history. However if you love YL so much you might be allowed to pay visits when she is rightfully behind bars.

I can't help but be reminded of the comments of after the 2006 coup when he was speaking at a college in the US. (paraphrasing) "The Bangkok elite were losing their power and wanted it back". to which he fully supported.

• Like 1

From the OP:

The military believes underground movements would soon surface to oppose the coup.

The military dictators and the ammart are deeper into it than they had ever been for a hundred years yet they're still digging.

Good on US Ambassador Kristie Kenney and German Ambassador Rolf Schulze among others for not attending the meeting because, as they said, they want nothing to do with the Thai military as dictators ruling over Thailand. That's an excellent posture by Prez Obama and Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Waiting also for the sanctions coming that were referenced in the OP, by the United States and the European Union. I see the State Department has now issued a travel warning against travel to Thailand, which throws the marker down to begin the international processes to isolate the military dictatorship. Military mutiny coup d'état is already passe' in civilized society but this one is beyond the pale.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. has only just begun to begin for the militarists, the military dictators, the ammart. There's a severe shitstorm headed their way.

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Situation in Thailand

Thailand Travel Alert

Last Updated: May 23, 2014

The U.S. Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens reconsider any non-essential travel to Thailand, particularly Bangkok, due to ongoing political and social unrest and restrictions on internal movements, including an indefinite nighttime curfew throughout Thailand. The Department of State has advised official U.S. government travelers to defer all non-essential travel to Thailand until further notice. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on May 16, 2014.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

I love to see posts that are straight out of the Robert Amsterdam/Thaksin/Red PR book. Well done Publicus. However, most of the decent and normal working class people I have spoken to would not agree with you and stand squarely behind the army. The ammart are a fiction, blown out of all proportion such as your boss' claim to be a democrat. Role on Thaksin: the ultimate Autocrat!

Well it didn't take long.

No hesitation on this one.

The squeeze has begun. It won't happen overnight, nor will the United States do it alone and anyway won't have to do it alone. There will be lots of help from both inside and outside of Thailand.

US Cuts Military Aid To Thailand Following Coup

Although the U.S. provides other forms of aid to Thailand, including $1.3 million for narcotics and law-enforcement, there was around $3.5 million requested for specifically military assistance in 2014. Today's announcement wipes out nearly all of it

Yesterday, Joshua Kulantzick, a senior fellow for Southeast Asia at the Council on Foreign Relations, explained to Business Insider that the U.S. has little to gain from the military's moves and every reason to want to isolate the coup's organizers. He says that military rule following the ouster of an elected government will likely erode existing civil institutions and could destabilize a significant southeast Asian country.

"The military is incapable of actually running the country in terms of the policymaking we would need to see with a pretty complex and high-powered economy," he said, adding that "the potential for violence is now higher because the military has intervened." In 2010, 90 protestors were killed in Bangkok during a rash of political violence.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cutting-military-aid-after-thailands-coup-2014-5#ixzz32aqOl98p

If you want to see who is considered to be the most corrupt of the Govt departments have a look at the following :

attachicon.gifcorruption index.jpg

This is compiled by the National Anti Corruption Commission and is 2012 vintage. Things may have changed for the Navy now with the Rohinga thing.

Look who is bottom on the list, that is the most corrupt.

That's right, the outfit that's supposed to be fighting corruption in the public service.

What's happened to Customs and Revenue Dept ?

They used to rated the most corrupt almost every year, have they really been cleaned up so much ?

A little hard to believe.

Customs and Revenue paid under the table to have their name removed from the top of the list . . . ;)

• Like 2