Thai rice farmers thank NCPO for payments

webfact

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I note that Thaivisa is understandably being very cautious regards which articles it posts, even when it comes to The Nation etc. So I won't link to it but there was an interesting article in the NYT yesterday regarding this, with some comments from farmers in Issan. I suspect it depends on the political leanings they already held, but I suspect many farmers aren't holding the last govt solely responsible for the lack of payment - which is right, because the lack of payment hiterto now was caused both by PT incompetence and politicking from the PDRC and its allies. Anyway, good they've been paid. I wonder if the junta plans to continue the scheme? Seems like they're caught between a rock and a hard place on that one, given what happened when PT tried to lower the pledging price to 12k.

The Government is the Government they showed themselves to be incapapble of pursuing their own policies - I dont care what Thaksin led western papers say - the highest power in the land has sorted out Thaksins mess Again shame on those who would give him even another chance!! People demonstrating has NOT held up any payments to farmers. There is only one place to put the blame. Long live the King!!

• Like 2

Don't know why they have to thank anybody for something that is rightfully there's , they also should be paid on over due payments at commercial interest rates , if the new Administration wants to recoup that, just call to account the PTP benefactors fund ,for that amount , bearing in mind that there was a lot of people behind the scene , that lobbied on their behalf.clap2.gif

So now let's see how the West analyzes this one where the nationwide banks are now willing to loan the government money for the bridge loan while under military rule whereas they were previously avoiding the subject like the plague under the previous so-called democratically elected government. Confidence under military rule. Wow.

Hopefully they will be informed enough to understand that banks are happy to loan to a government, of whatever form, when it is legal for the government to borrow, but are quite reluctant to involve themselves in an illegal transaction.

Don't know why they have to thank anybody for something that is rightfully there's , they also should be paid on over due payments at commercial interest rates , if the new Administration wants to recoup that, just call to account the PTP benefactors fund ,for that amount , bearing in mind that there was a lot of people behind the scene , that lobbied on their behalf.clap2.gif

that'll be gratitude & relief

• Like 2

I note that Thaivisa is understandably being very cautious regards which articles it posts, even when it comes to The Nation etc. So I won't link to it but there was an interesting article in the NYT yesterday regarding this, with some comments from farmers in Issan. I suspect it depends on the political leanings they already held, but I suspect many farmers aren't holding the last govt solely responsible for the lack of payment - which is right, because the lack of payment hiterto now was caused both by PT incompetence and politicking from the PDRC and its allies. Anyway, good they've been paid. I wonder if the junta plans to continue the scheme? Seems like they're caught between a rock and a hard place on that one, given what happened when PT tried to lower the pledging price to 12k.

You call PDRC's intervention politicking,

I call it pointing out to caretaker PTP that what they were trying to do was illegal and the banks realised that and didn't let them borrow more money

• Like 1

Well this is certainly a way to win over the hearts of a lot of people. Pay them what they are owed! In the states we had programs like this but we literally were paying farmers not to grow certain crops to keep the sale price high.

PTP would not have had to worry about anything PDRC did in order to pay the farmers, if the money they had received for the rice hadn't mysteriously disappeared.

So are the farmers going to be paid at the above market rate that they were promised in the rice scheme or at a rate more in tune with the market? Are the tax payers then covering the difference? I assume if everyone is flipping the bill for the scheme rate that you can define it as re-allocation of wealth, but is that made bigger by farmers declaring losses and not paying taxes on the year?(I don't know how the taxes work here or with this fiasco)

They are dong the job what the Yingluck administration should have done. The politicians only cared about themselves but the army has been doing a good job taking care of the issue. Why are the red shorts against the coup? Oh, I almost forgot that the red shorts are the private army of the Thaksin clan.

• Like 1

rightfully there's??

the free market didn't want to but expensive. rice so the army has magiked up some money

there will be consequences for this

Edited by leosuntime

It is so nice to see the farmers happy and smiling they have been through a lot. Good on the General he has a good heart, keep it up.

It is good to see ThaiVisa putting these conditions in it is quite boring and annoying reading a lot of the posts from the guys with nothing better to do.

• Like 1

So now let's see how the West analyzes this one where the nationwide banks are now willing to loan the government money for the bridge loan while under military rule whereas they were previously avoiding the subject like the plague under the previous so-called democratically elected government. Confidence under military rule. Wow.

MILITARY PATRIOTS

..... and not that many surprises under this one. It was unavoidable.

Only a matter of time and true to form the Army have shown themselves to be more interested in law and order, and doing the job the police

should have done.

Going one step further into the economic health of the nation, the rice payments are an absolute unforeseen added bonus.

The salt of Thailand's earth were in the process of being "ripped off".

The army have shown time and time over, to be competent referees and called an end to the fight, without expecting to rule indefinitely.

Some countries in the vicinity have a long way to go to match this level of patriotism by the military.

The question is as the powers that be re-group, will the Shinawatra's be able to regain the lead they had when gaining government.

I'd like to think not, but where is a third power in Thai politics?