New York man freed after 17 years in prison

webfact

New York man freed after 17 years in prison

NEW YORK: -- A New York man walked free Tuesday after 17 years in prison for murder, after it was determined that false testimony had been used to convict him, authorities said.

Roger Logan, 53, who had maintained his innocence despite his conviction, was exonerated thanks to the work of a Conviction Review Unit evaluating about 90 cases, prosecutors said.

Logan was arrested and then convicted for the July 24, 1997 murder of Sherwin Gibbons, who was shot dead in Brooklyn after a game of dice.

His sentence to 25 years to life rested largely on the testimony of a neighbor who put him at the crime scene. It recently came to light however that she was not where she testified she was on the day of the crime, claiming that she spotted Logan there.

"In the interest of justice, I have asked the Court to vacate the murder conviction of Roger Logan," said Brooklyn prosecutor Kenneth Thompson.

So far, the review unit has helped overturn another seven convictions; In 11 other cases, convictions were upheld.
AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-04

This happens too often. Too many corrupt cops out there that want to solve the case, no matter what. sad.png

Yeah, quick and easy paper work to do after pointing the finger and saying "he did it" Poor bloke, 17 years wow !!

The wannabe eye witness lol.

Now it's her turn to go to prison for a little while for misleading authorities etc

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This happens too often. Too many corrupt cops out there that want to solve the case, no matter what. sad.png

UG,

That's not what happened in this case, from what I've read here. Nothing to do with corrupt cops, at all.

Apparently a witness claimed she saw something that she did not. Can you indicate to me where the corruption in this is.

Sure a witness has obviously committed perjury but there's no evidence to suggest either of your above claims are true.

Shame on you, old friend. I will slap you later ;):P

nb: no animals were harmed during the process of writing this comment.

• Like 2

That's not what happened in this case, from what I've read here. Nothing to do with corrupt cops, at all.

I was "speaking" in general, but why did the witness lie? There have been countless cases where the police put someone up to it, by convincing them of someones guilt or threatening them with arrest for another crime. There are lots of good cops, but plenty of bad ones as well.

• Like 1

For Christ's sake, does everyone need to take a pop at the death penalty. The guy got a prison sentence. He didn't get the death penalty.

Yeah, because Christ didn't have a problem with the death penalty. LOL

Anyway he was in New York where there is no death penalty, but if he had of been in a different state it would have been a different matter. This is a case of a wrong conviction that in some places would have resulted in the death penalty and that is the point in speaking here against capital punishment.

• Like 1

I was "speaking" in general, but why did the witness lie? There have been countless cases where the police put someone up to it, by convincing them of someones guilt or threatening them with arrest for another crime. There are lots of good cops, but plenty of bad ones as well.

According to the article the witness was a neighbor...why did she lie? ...maybe he never returned the sugar he borrowed...

The good far outweigh the bad UG, but you would expect me to say that.

I'm just sayin........if that had happened, it would be plastered everywhere by now, but not a mention of it anywhere, so maybe save the 'beat up ' comments for the appropriate cases.

Spread the love UG, spread the love ;)

For Christ's sake, does everyone need to take a pop at the death penalty. The guy got a prison sentence. He didn't get the death penalty.

Anyway he was in New York where there is no death penalty, but if he had of been in a different state it would have been a different matter. This is a case of a wrong conviction that in some places would have resulted in the death penalty and that is the point in speaking here against capital punishment.

The death penalty is not given out lightly and there is nothing to indicate that this guy would have gotten the death penalty in any other state.

I'm just sayin........if that had happened, it would be plastered everywhere by now, but not a mention of it anywhere, so maybe save the 'beat up ' comments for the appropriate cases.

I have bad news for you. A bad cop was implicated and it was in the first article that I Googled. The "witness" was actually in jail when the crime was being committed. whistling.gif

Retired detective Louis Scarcella, whose rotten tactics prompted an unprecedented review of some 57 cases he had handled, was involved in the investigation, sources said.

He had questioned Logan, asked him to frame a third individual and, when he refused, got him to sign a statement that he was at the location. He later produced the eyewitness who fingered Logan, said the freed man’s lawyer Harold Baker.

“That they went into so much trouble to frame this person shocks the conscious,”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/man-served-17-years-prison-brooklyn-homicide-declared-innocent-article-1.1815780#ixzz33fHl4khD

Edited by Ulysses G.

Posters are using the opportunity to point out that where those cases would or could have brought the death penalty in various states of America, did not.

It is precisely this sort of case, that provokes this response, albeit, obvious, but for all legislators who can invoke the death penalty, it is a wise caution.

Many posters here would have you strung up, castrated and roasted on just hearing you'd been arrested for some heinous crime, you may or may not have committed.

It's a good cautionary tale against capital punishment. It works particularly well for the innocently accused and where corruption of the law is silenced by the sentence. Dead men can't tell tales. I am convinced this is the real reason the Bali bombers got theirs. There were people involved who didn't want it known.

The death penalty is not given out lightly and there is nothing to indicate that this guy would have gotten the death penalty in any other state.

Forget America, this is a wrongful conviction which would have resulted in the death penalty in some places. Many places have capital punishment and all should pay attention every time a case such as this comes to light.

My Bad UG, I got a completely different story. My apologies. Next time post the evidence to start with, you evil bugga, I don't need your help to look bad, I can do that all on my own :P

THANKS FOR POSTING !

Well I can only hope that this a*sehole Retired detective Louis Scarcella, is in a world of pain. Hopefully this victim can sue the baaastard for every penny he's worth, I don't know how you even out a price tag on 17 years. The retired detective should be in prison for at least 17 years. Lowlife like this really pissssss me off.

It's a good thing that his department is re-investigating other cases he was involved in, it's a pity they were more pro-active in supervising him when he was a cop.

How's that for a turn around.......hang this bugga HIGH !

• Like 1

They review 18 cases...and 7 people were deemed wrongly convicted...what does that say about the US justice system...?

Evidence was fabricated.

There were serious problems with supervision of this p*ick.

They review 18 cases...and 7 people were deemed wrongly convicted...what does that say about the US justice system...?

It says nothing about the justice system, except that there are numerous avenues of appeal and for review of cases.

Many cases are overturned on a technicality. Even in this case, there is a witness whose testimony that was brought into question. It does not mean that he did not commit the crime. It means that any other evidence was not seen as being substantial enough to sustain the conviction.

It says nothing about the justice system, except that there are numerous avenues of appeal and for review of cases.

Many cases are overturned on a technicality. Even in this case, there is a witness whose testimony that was brought into question. It does not mean that he did not commit the crime. It means that any other evidence was not seen as being substantial enough to sustain the conviction.

Yes I agree, however when you google this creep and read other information and allegations, you'd have to wonder if he did anything right.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/scarcella-dirty-locked-up-murderer-article-1.1361310

Spread the love UG, spread the love ;)

You all know it. Cops are just criminals in a uniform.

You see, people like you are the problem. That's nonsense and you know it. Go away cretin.

Cops like this and people supporting them (like you) are the problem. I've never met a cop that wouldn't lie or cover up evidence in the "pursuit of justice". Maybe they exist somewhere but I've never met them.