Crash Pad

swissie

Today it's called a weekend retreat. Before, it was called a weekend crash pad. Looking for modest room that would suit the purpose. Would rent on a monthly basis.

But, and this is a "must": Internet availability with minimum capability to watch stuff like "you-tube" etc.

Perhaps "modest-room" with good internet can not go together. ?!?

Thanks & cheers.

Yes, if it's just for occasional use then the cheap unlimited wifi packages from the likes of True would probably be fine. You would need to check that the signal is available in the place you intend living in.

Shared wifi in apartment buildings is usually pretty dire.

Swissie if you have a newer 2011 & up smart phone you can get True Ais or Dtac sim card with a monthly contract. The best will be True for 990 baht 5Gigs unlimited

Ais is about 800+ baht & Dtac slightly less. If you don't have a smartphone that operates on 850-900 or 2100 band you need an aircard. I have a true air card 2 & 1/2 months old sold for 990 baht I will sell for 600 baht as I just bought a new smartphone.

That would eliminate having to look for a place with internet access or wifi & make your monthly easier to find & cheaper as well. Pattaya has great service for the edge style usb plug ins & for smart phones....but that feature could rack you for 3000 more on your monthly rental & be a drag to find in a rental.

Thanks for all the input guys.

We all know about the shared WI-FI stuff. I'd rather stay away from it.

Probably best to look for "rentals" and check out internet options before committing.

My home base is in the sticks, but got perfect Fiber-Optic-Connection for 1166 Bht per month. CAT had to bring in the cable from 12 Km's away from my home and as mentioned, connection is perfect.

So, by renting long-term, if CAT will hook me up under a similar pricing-sceme in Pattaya, I would go for it and forget about the WI-FI hokus-pokus. I shall see.

Cheers.

Cat has been using all wireless out in Bang Saray. Nifty setup but the tower was located at the business monks Wat (I say that cause the high mucky muck has 4 smart phones 4 computers his own radio station & all the Harmon Cordons crowns even a Macintosh pre amp & Amp) Any way the Monk was using Cats $3000.00 not baht UPS POWER backup bar with his 1000's of watt sound system & kept on flat lining their Backup bar so our wireless service for 1700 baht a month rarely worked out here.To bad when it ran good it was the same as in the states but when you have zero transmission & 3-5 weeks to wait for a new backup system. I went back to snail service. I even mentioned to Cat that maybe it would be a great idea to put a cage & a lock so the Monk couldn't torch them into the ground every month & 1/2. I think TOT is now wireless.

So, by renting long-term, if CAT will hook me up under a similar pricing-sceme in Pattaya, I would go for it and forget about the WI-FI hokus-pokus. I shall see.

Dont confuse shared building wifi with the hotspot packages from the likes of True etc. These latter are very good value and work well (though you do need to reconnect every hour or two). Also you only need to subscribe to them for a month at a time, the setup costs are zero and you can use them wherever the hotspot services work.

Dont confuse shared building wifi with the hotspot packages from the likes of True etc. These latter are very good value and work well (though you do need to reconnect every hour or two). Also you only need to subscribe to them for a month at a time, the setup costs are zero and you can use them wherever the hotspot services work.

Hotspot sounds good. How to find out where the "Hotspots" are? A monthly subscription for a heavy user would amount to how much? (Approximately).

Thanks & cheers.

Hotspot sounds good. How to find out where the "Hotspots" are? A monthly subscription for a heavy user would amount to how much? (Approximately).

Truly (sic) horrible websites and even with the assistance of a Thai person they are impossible to understand but:

http://truemove.truecorp.co.th/leveld/1860

It should be 100B/month and you will need a prepay True phone number/SIM to sign up.

Coverage: http://www.truewifi.net/wifi/findhotspot

Some other phone providers do something similar but I dont know anything about them. The topic has come up in the tech sub-forum so look there.

If it is only for crashing out after a night on the town, why not staying at a hotel? There are plenty of them in the 1,000 Baht range around. Comes with Internet and they clean up after you.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app