Burmese Tourist “tricked” out of 15,000 Baht in North Pattaya

Rimmer

Burmese Tourist “tricked” out of 15,000 Baht in North Pattaya

burma-1.jpg
On Thursday evening a 29 year old Burmese Tourist reported the theft of 15,000 Baht by a man described as “Middle-Eastern” in appearance, outside of a convenience store in North Pattaya.

Mr. Soe Lin, presented himself at Pattaya Police Station and told officers that he was standing outside of a convenience store on Pattaya Second Road in front of the Alcazar Show Theatre and had just been to a Money Exchange Booth where he changed-up US Dollars for Thai Currency. He was approached by the “Middle-Eastern” man who appeared confused about the Thai Currency. He asked Mr. Lin if he could show him some Thai Currency. Mr. Lin claimed he handed over approximately 30,000 Baht.

After some shuffling of notes the money was returned and the confused man left.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/130610/burmese-tourist-tricked-out-of-15000-baht-in-north-pattaya/#sthash.cjQPg2o4.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-06-06

This is a familiar story. The "I'm confused, show me some local currency" ruse was claimed by a couple of exchange booth staff in recent months. In those cases it was in Indian or Middle Eastern person who did the scam. There must be some persuasive folk out there from these regions, and equally gullible marks.

A fool and his money .....

He can be happy the guy didnt just take a run for it and loose it all

That would defeat the object of the con to take all the marks cash,this is obviously a well orchestrated thief in operation,using sleight of hand and confusion to score a quick hit.

• Like 1

There is no conceivable need to hand over 30k in order to educate someone about Thai currency.

You seen one thousand Baht bill, you seen them all.

Can't really imagine how that would come about.

Wonder if it is indeed utter stupidity or trying to cover for money lost in another manner.

If you hand over money like that you don't have a brain. Sorry but if this is true it serves him right !

Nobody deserves to have their hard earned money stolen.

The victim was trying to be helpful and was trusting of others...both are admirable human values.

I hope they can iD the perp in the background of the ATM camera or similar and I hope they put the screws to him.

I hate thieves.

• Like 2

There is no conceivable need to hand over 30k in order to educate someone about Thai currency.

You seen one thousand Baht bill, you seen them all.

Can't really imagine how that would come about.

Wonder if it is indeed utter stupidity or trying to cover for money lost in another manner.

In my home country there were quite a few such stories some years ago. It seemed that the ruse was similar - some money handed over near exchange booths or in market place, and the victim having quite hazy memory of what had happened. At the time police presumed that the con women had some skills in hypnosis.

Not exactly the same but I had 2 Indian men approach me in a 7-11 and one of them had this jar with hair cream (don't know exactly what it was) and asked me if

it would be alright if it would touch his skin when he puts it in his hair.

I don't know why he would ask me that, but I took the jar from him and tried to read it.

It was a small jar with small letters and I could not read it.

I told him so and gave the jar back.

Then he said "oh no, I can read it", to which I replied "then why are you asking me?" and I walked out.

It just went on in a weird way.

Reminds me of this Derren Brown trick: http://youtu.be/0q2KGGMc1EM

If this guy who robbed the money is not only talking nice but using techniques like Derren Brown then it probably could happen to a lot of us and has nothing to do with stupidity.

I mean, the exchange both girls regularly hand out thousands of baht and get them stolen, surely they can't all be trying to cheat the insurance? Also why show their face on TV and why do all claim it is middle eastern men?

Surely there is more to this.

Scary thing this is. I never carry more than 1-2K around so at least that reduces the risk a bit.

Changed up 15,000 baht yet handed over 30,000 baht.

Money shuffling.

Classic.

Surprised the Thai Policeman noting this alleged theft didn't "crack-a-rib" laughing.

Hilarious report !!

I never have understood those that take pleasure in another man's misfortune.

Any one that approaches you straight after you have changed money or used an ATM, should never be trusted, I cant believe this gent handed him a wad of cash. This guy would have fallen for the old wallet inspector line.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Changed up 15,000 baht yet handed over 30,000 baht.
Money shuffling.
Classic.
Surprised the Thai Policeman noting this alleged theft didn't "crack-a-rib" laughing.
Hilarious report !!

I never have understood those that take pleasure in another man's misfortune.

This idiot deserved loosing cash.

He chose to add to the 15,000 baht he changed up a further 15,000 baht. How dumb is that ? Would you hand over to a confused stranger any cash, let alone 30,000 baht ?

That's why I find this story hilarious.

Ok that's the stupidest thing I've heard as cons go. He actually handed over 30,000 baht? What an idiot! blink.png

The actual money changers have been known to fall for it too.

Perhaps the possibility of being caught on camera made the scammers move on to the customers.

Had I just changed a wad, after counting it, it is put away before I move on. I wouldn't be inclined to let some stranger 'feel it'....

My wife would kill me if I started showing money to strangers on the street at their request.

I would have issued this confused man with two words of advice. The first begins with F and the second O.