4 students killed, 11 injured when hit by former director's car: Thailand

webfact

4 students killed, 11 injured when hit by former director's car

Nong Bua Lampu - Four students were killed, 11 others injured in Nong Bua Lamphu when a former school director suffered epileptic seizure and slammed his car at them.

Police said the accident happened at 9:20 am when the students were parading into the Nong Bua Lampu Pitthaya to attend the World Science Day.

While the students were marching in line into the school compound the former director was driving his car out of the school and he suffered from the epileptic seizure and lost control of his car.

The car rammed into the students in the line, killing four of them at the scene. Eleven others were severely injured.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

--------------------

CAR ACCIDENT
4 students killed in accident involving ex-school director's car

NONG BUA LAMPUH: -- Four students were killed and 11 others injured in Nong Bua Lamphu province when a former school director suffered epileptic seizure and slammed into them in his car.

Police said the accident happened at 9:20am as the students were parading into the Nong Bua Lampu Pitthaya to attend World Science Day.

The former director was driving his car out of the school just as the students were marching in line into the school compound. He suffered an epileptic seizure and lost control of his car.

The car rammed into the students, killing four of them instantly. Eleven others were severely injured.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-11

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was his first seizure, and he didnt realize he had epilepsy then it was a tragic accident. If he knew he was driving with a real risk of seizure then it was manslaughter or worse, and they should throw the book at him.

By "throwing the book at him", I hope you mean a life sentence of hard labour with no chance of parole or appeal. And here, life MEANS life.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe on of those bizarre things that happens, But a school director with that condition and driving when he could have had this problem at any time.

The other question is WAS it a fit or is that was reported----reality or excuse we do not know.

The question is ,was that the first.?????

One would soon know when looking at the driver at the time of the incident. I remember my dad having them...............He wasn't allowed to drive..

correct, in the west he would not have been allowed to drive unless his condition was under strict control over a very long time, and even then it would still be difficult to get permission to drive - the reason is obvious

RIP

oh my god that's terrible .... RIP sad.pngsad.png

As of a few hours ago, the death toll was 7. Four died at the scene and another three died in hospital or were pronounced dead on arrival. I was in Nong Bua Lam Phu this morning and passed by this terrible accdent shortly after it happened.

RIP to the kids and I pray for a speedy recovery for those injured another shocking Thailand avoidable accident on the roads,

An epileptic driving a car did his Dr not tell him he was a high risk and not to drive, can the Dr’s in Thailand not revoke his driving licence, I have a friend in the UK with a home monitored pacemaker fitted and twice in the last two years he has had his licence revoked for 6 month periods, his heart Dr just phones up and tells him he can’t drive then after 6 months he has to go for a heart check-up prior to Appling to the DVLA with all his medical approved certificates for his licence to be returned, my nephew who suffers from sleep epilepsy [ only has a fit when sleeping ]if he has a fit when sleeping after his Dr visits him or an ambulance is called he has to revoke his licence for 1 year and same process for him he has to apply with many medical certificates and check-ups for his licence again after a fit free period of time.

4 students killed by school principal's car in northeast
By Digital Content

14024741012538.jpg

NONG BUA LAM PHU, June 11 -- Four students were killed and 11 others injured after a car driven by a school principal crashed into a school in Thailand’s northeastern province of Nong Bua Lam Phu this morning.

The car driven by an unnamed school principal ploughed into the fence of Nong Bua Witthayayon School and hit the students who were attending the exhibition organised by National Science Museum (NSM).

Four students were killed in the accident, three girls and one boy, and 11 others were injured and were taken to hospital.

The driver of the car, identified as the principal of Wang Nam Khao School, was also injured and was taken to Nongbua Lamphu Hospital by police.

The school principal reportedly suffers from epilepsy. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-11

If it was his first seizure, and he didnt realize he had epilepsy then it was a tragic accident. If he knew he was driving with a real risk of seizure then it was manslaughter or worse, and they should throw the book at him.

By "throwing the book at him", I hope you mean a life sentence of hard labour with no chance of parole or appeal. And here, life MEANS life.

I had in mind a more medieval punishment involving 4 horses, a disembowling blade, and a length of hemp rope. And the dead kiddies mums and dads to giddy-up the nags.

RIP kids ❤️

Epileptic sufferers SHOULD NOT be allowed to drive as is in my country.

They are a liability just the same as drunk drivers in my opinion!!!

2 bodies at fault here.

1: the driver for even thinking he's fit and able to drive in his condition.

2: The medic/Dr that wrote the medical certificate saying he's fit to drive.

He should be charged with SEVEN counts of manslaughter and locked up for life!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Hua Hin expat

I had in mind a more medieval punishment involving 4 horses, a disembowling blade, and a length of hemp rope. And the dead kiddies mums and dads to giddy-up the nags.

You sir, have been exposed to too many Monty Python adventures.

• Like 2

Nothing is more sad that innocent children being denied the life that they are entitled to. Deepest condolence to the family and R.I.P.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This is a tragedy, but what's the point in speculating? WE all know that in our respective countries what the laws are regarding being in a fit condition to drive, but Thailand is so different, I've heard it so many times "This is Thailand"

I'm also sure that Epilepsy can strike you at any age and can be triggered by many different things, a stroke being one of them, some people have mild strokes and are unaware of what's happened to them.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge this guy, nobody knows if he had a medical condition prior to this or not but it will soon be disclosed if he was taking any medication for it. It's all too easy to speculate, from the comfort of our own homes, he didn't set out from his house in the morning with an intention to mow down the kids, and he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

RIP to the deceased Children.

Moot point to speculate.

Thai people are reactive. Thais do not believe in prevention if they are wearing their amulets.

From direct experience with Thais I have seen people ignoring progressively degenerating medical conditions (Diabetes type 2 and cataracts, etc.) until they had loss of vision and fainting spells before they sought medical attention. Only then, after I pounded on the subject repeatedly, they decided first to consult their fortune tellers. As you well put it: TIT

• Like 1

Perhaps those parents are not full of hatred and wish for barbaric revenge after the horrible loss of their child... My deepest sympathy for them.

• Like 1

Maybe on of those bizarre things that happens, But a school director with that condition and driving when he could have had this problem at any time.

The other question is WAS it a fit or is that was reported----reality or excuse we do not know.

I live in Nong Bua and from what I hear, he normally has a driver that was absent today. Why he chose to drive this time is anyones guess. Sad sad story

As an aged person, surely he had some idea of his epilepsy. rolleyes.gif If he knew, then as someone has suggested.......Throw the book at him !

He knew. He had a designated driver that was absent today. What promted him to drive today is unknown.

Perhaps about time to have a proper health and eye check before handing people in Thailand a driving license...

Computer says that a proper epilepsy test requires a spinal tap, what would be a bit drastic to enforce on every person who wants to drive, but wouldn't it be possible to sort out some severe cases by exposing them to flashing disco lights/stroboscopes and loud trash metal music or something?

In the end - this is Thailand and nothing's gonna change anyway... Most likely accidents caused by epilepsy are common all over the world...

RIP to victims and families! Quick and thorough recovery to the injured kids.

Edited by catweazle